closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vacheron Overseas 4500v or something else

Vacheron Overseas 4500v or something else

Hello,

This is something I’ve been mulling over for a while, I have the opportunity to buy an overseas at a deep discount (35%) for clarity this is only available to me via a work scheme with wording prohibiting transfer of the discount or ownership of the watch for a period of time.

Due to my inexperience of watches in this price range I’m wondering if applying this discount makes this purchase a no brainier or are there watches at the discounted price range ( circa 11k) thats a “better” watch for example something from JLC.

I would love to get the forums view on the watch it’s self and alternatives that should be considered.

Thanks

Jay

Buy the overseas. You won’t regret it, certainly at that price.

If you can get the blue face (if you like the blue of course) with that discount, go for it.

Its a lovely piece in the flesh and the blue is very desirable, as on a recent business trip I could not find one at all.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Buy the overseas. You won’t regret it, certainly at that price.
    Second this. The overseas is superb.
    Nothing close to it from jlc imo.

Master
    It also depends on how ‘into’ watches you are; for the average person a VC is perhaps a bit wasted...I don’t mean that snobbily, it’s just that plenty of excellent watches cost a lot less and may give as much pleasure.
    So. Do you genuinely want a ‘high-end’ Watch? If so, I’d buy it.

Buy it it you are going to wear it and keep it for the long term.

At that price, the Overseas, all day long.

Leaving aside resale values, compared to competitors from the so-called ‘Big Three’, I prefer the 4500v to either a Nautilus or a Royal Oak, and in comparison it’s almost a bargain (in luxury terms), and with none of the ‘baggage’.

At around £11k I’d maybe be looking at a simple Saxonia etc. from A Lange & Sohne, but it wouldn’t have the visual interest, versatility of wear, complex bracelet, water resistance or anti-magnetic properties that would ultimately lead me back to the 4500v.

Journeyman
    JLC don't really have an equivalent to the Everyday versatility of the Overseas. Maybe the Polaris, but the finishing is nowhere near the level of the Vacheron. The blue dial is mesmerising and is in fact from the same manufacturer's of the FP Journe Chronometre Bleu.
    At that price, I think you should definitely go for it.

Master
    At that price, I’d be jumping off my seat to sell most of my collection to fund it. Go for it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It also depends on how ‘into’ watches you are; for the average person a VC is perhaps a bit wasted...I don’t mean that snobbily, it’s just that plenty of excellent watches cost a lot less and may give as much pleasure.
    So. Do you genuinely want a ‘high-end’ Watch? If so, I’d buy it.
    Some wise counsel above.

I don't really have a view as I'm just not into these or their 'competitors'. But this is an interesting/thought provoking video
    https://youtu.be/d05kwCe7h6g

I suspect that the VC will only be worth what you pay for it once pre-owned, so I would simply ask whether you like it enough to shell out that kind of cash, or is it because it 'seems' a bargain.

Master
    if you are worried about the price/value - just look at how much they loose once they become used

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Some wise counsel above.

I don't really have a view as I'm just not into these or their 'competitors'. But this is an interesting/thought provoking video
    https://youtu.be/d05kwCe7h6g

I suspect that the VC will only be worth what you pay for it once pre-owned, so I would simply ask whether you like it enough to shell out that kind of cash, or is it because it 'seems' a bargain.
    I'd second this. It's a bargain for sure but only get it if you really love the watch. Vacheron will also be difficult to flip once you change your mind.

I'd imagine that price is via Heritage right? Elsewhere in Asia they would discount by that amount (except China) but not elsewhere in Europe unless you fancied a trip to Russia.

Superb watch, great bracelet with the quick release mechanism and with the extra croc and rubber straps it comes with then you have lots of versatility. It is a wonderful watch. The finishing on the case and the bracelet is extraordinary and for me it is a notch up vs the Nautilus

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd echo the comments, buy it if it's what's you want because objectively it's a great piece but I'm not sure I'd drop that much on a watch just because it's a bargain.

If you didn't get on with it you would probably lose money on it even at that price.

Thank you for the feedback guys. I’m not interested in residuals or any potential profit on flipping as should I buy it it won’t be going anywhere ever, this watch will be used to mark the end of one the toughest periods in my life for me in isolation.

I think it boils down to if I truly love the watch when I see it - so much about it appeals to me on paper and the black dial is the one for me.

Also thinking about what I may have to give up from the watch box to help find it.

Hi Jay,

What's your current collection consists of?
    The VC is lovely watch and even more desirable given the discount.
    I am also considering purchasing one but that's because I have a lot of usual suspects already in my collection.
    So the answer is would you spend 11k which is equivalent of 2 SS sport watch or VC.
    Whatever you decide, it's a lovely watch and excellent price so you won't regret it.

Best

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hi - nothing too spectacular currently.

Rolex SDc4k
    Rolex explorer 39mm
    Iwc 3719
    ‘71 speedmaster
    Seamaster
    Aerospace
    Seiko turtle

So I think the VC would fit in well

Looks like you have great variety there and VC Oversea will most definitely add another dimension to your collection.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    So I think the VC would fit in well
    Read this thread with interest - did you get it in the end?

After a longish wait the collection date has been confirmed, will be picking one up a little before my birthday cannot wait.

The only downside is I may have to let go of a couple of watches I was hoping to keep.

After a longish wait the collection date has been confirmed, will be picking one up a little before my birthday cannot wait.

The only downside is I may have to let go of a couple of watches I was hoping to keep.
    Lucky you a beautiful piece….worth the 2 year wait I am only 2 months in and counting…

Please post pics up once arrived..

Enjoy !.

Master
    Congratulations, think you've made a very wise, if not expensive choice. I love the VC, never seen one in person but did see a gold chrono, white dial Overseas in Manchester at the weekend, sumptuous looking thing it was.

For me, the Explorer would be making way for the VC, that would take some of the sting out of the purchase.

Absolutely insist that we see some pics when you pick it up.

The VC in a heartbeat at that price, the blue dial 4500v are selling well over list on the used market so if that colour took your fancy you'd likely never lose money on it but I think it would be a keeper, it's a gorgeous watch and brand.

Congrats. Nothing wrong will a cull, keeps the collection service costs lower. When you see the VC in person you might even forget about the ones you currently want to keep.

Craftsman
    That’s great news - appreciate the update. There are so many of these ‘what-should-I-buy’ threads where we don’t hear what the conclusion is, so looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    You won’t regret it.

Great watch, with the new straps that came out it’s refreshed the line.

Post some pictures once it arrives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    35% discount. No brainer. Congratulations on your purchase. What colour did you get?

I guess you know it has the Geneva seal on the movement AND the case? I don’t know many manufacturers that have that.

welcome to the club btw:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st July 2021 at 21:15.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Even I'd buy one at 35% off and I'm frugal

I have a black dial Overseas and absolutely love it, finishing is exceptional, it’s highly versatile with the strap options, plus it goes fairly unnoticed.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    35% discount. No brainer. Congratulations on your purchase. What colour did you get?

I guess you know it has the Geneva seal on the movement AND the case? I don’t know many manufacturers that have that.

welcome to the club btw:

Thanks Martyn - went with black in the end, as wonderful as the blue is at it’s brightest it was a little too eye catching for my tastes and I did manage to try on the silver which didn’t do as much for me

Looking forward to picking it up in due course and it will probably stick it straight on the rubber strap.

Master
    I’m assuming discounts are now all but gone?

Master
    Blog Entries
    yep and long waiting lists for most colours.

Blog Entries
    WFK (don't be rude): £34K is a bit steep..

https://www.watchesworld.com/shop/va...inding-41mm-2/
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    What about for the dual time model?

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I found Silver and Black dials were on much shorter lead times than the Blue which everyone seems to want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Easier to get than the 3 hander but still a good few months wait

Craftsman
    In blue just as long .

A lot Less DT are made compared to the 4500v & people are starting to realise that it's a model that is great

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    In blue just as long .

A lot Less DT are made compared to the 4500v & people are starting to realise that it's a model that is great

I migut pop into the boutique to try one on. They only have a gold time/date model right now - the steel dual time will be lighter and thicker but would give me a decent idea.

Craftsman
    Definite buy, would be the jewel in the crown of an already unbelievable collection. I personally don’t think there’s much that comes close for that money

Just tried on the time/date version in rose gold at the boutique as that's all they had in stock. Wore a bit small and I know from Jacob's earlier comments the dual time wears smaller so not for me unfortunately. They said the chrono is bigger but that's not for me.

Craftsman
    Just tried on the time/date version in rose gold at the boutique as that's all they had in stock. Wore a bit small and I know from Jacob's earlier comments the dual time wears smaller so not for me unfortunately. They said the chrono is bigger but that's not for me.
    Yh the chrono you can tel the difference
    The DT wears larger than the 3 hander IMO, did you get to try it on? Or just the 4500?

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Yh the chrono you can tel the difference
    The DT wears larger than the 3 hander IMO, did you get to try it on? Or just the 4500?

Just the 4500 as that's all they had in. Rose gold with a white/silver dial on brown rubber. Not the best combo.

To be honest I think VC might be a bit posh for me.

Master
    Thanks Martyn - went with black in the end, as wonderful as the blue is at it’s brightest it was a little too eye catching for my tastes and I did manage to try on the silver which didn’t do as much for me

Looking forward to picking it up in due course and it will probably stick it straight on the rubber strap.
    Richemont staff discount??

My wife had this for a while years back, was great…I was quite sad when she left (although that was for maternity leave!)