closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZ Valuation Thread

TZ Valuation Thread

I thought it would be good to ask what the feeling is of such a thread?

I'm sure it would it be beneficial to the forum as watch prices fluctuate by significant margins in very short time spans and I'm not just talking Rolex, Seiko's like the MM300 have moved in price, Pie pan Omega's, Speedmasters, AP, PP, manky sandals the list goes on.

An idea was you post a decent image/s of your watch with a quick explanation of condition, service history, papers/box/loose watch and responding posts can link to your watch via the "quote" function so all straight forward.

What isn't so straight forward is where to post the thread, as a valuation could result in a sale then a locked area of the forum would probabley be best but the best response may come from here in Watch Talk.

So, would this work or not?

PS, please dont post watches asking for a valuation, this is just to discuss the idea.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Valuation is objective though so I'm a bit unclear on purpose?
    Trade valuations, replacement valuations for insurance, private valuations/what people think something is worth vary wildly depending on the individual making the assessment.
    Genuinely it sounds like a recipe for war.

Master
    Bad idea.

On another forum someone asked for a valuation, which opinions, prices were given.

The story unfolded that said watch was stolen and the OP was arguing with the insurance comany regarding payout. In the end the insurance comany paid up much less than the forum evaluation. The OP then tried to sue the "valuer" for the difference.

An extreme case, granted, but if such things occur all you'l get are arguments and slanging matches over opinions. We have enough of that here already.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Trade valuations, replacement valuations for insurance, private valuations/what people think something is worth vary wildly depending on the individual making the assessment.
    I totally understand your points, but as most sales here are through private sales then I think that would be the valuation most here would be looking for, if for instance we used the MM300 as an example then there is lots of different value points, some being new LE models with a JDM price to say a SBDX001 that is now discontinued and growing in value.

The likes of Chrono24/Watchfinder are easy as you can see the retail price of a used watch but of course these are businesses with overheads and offering warranties, if your contact them for a value then that will be below private prices, so a private valuation thread could work.

Why can’t the owner just search eBay completed listings. This will provide real world sold prices based on fact rather than opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Bad idea.

On another forum someone asked for a valuation, which opinions, prices were given.

The story unfolded that said watch was stolen and the OP was arguing with the insurance comany regarding payout. In the end the insurance comany paid up much less than the forum evaluation. The OP then tried to sue the "valuer" for the difference.

An extreme case, granted, but if such things occur all you'l get are arguments and slanging matches over opinions. We have enough of that here already.
    That is an extreme to say the least!

Yes there might be a few arguments but is that not the problem of the members here not being able to conduct themselves like adults, a valuation of a watch is hardly religion or politics but I do get your point.

Bad idea.

WTF. Where was that?

Bad idea.

I think that's a somewhat apocryphal story. The last time I heard it (and I've heard it numerous times) I questioned if anyone could provide any verification but none was forthcoming.

My feeling is that we should keep money out of the hobby. There are money markets for that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    My feeling is that we should keep money out of the hobby. There are money markets for that.
    Realism dictates that money is part of the hobby, it has always been thus and always will be. Saying it isn't is pure head in the sand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Agree with C.
    A good deal of ill feeling would result and people with personal grudges against each other would be tempted to post other persons watch in an unfavourable light shall we say

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Agree with C.
    A good deal of ill feeling would result and people with personal grudges against each other would be tempted to post other persons watch in an unfavourable light shall we say
    Unfortunately that is very very very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Agree with C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Unfortunately that is very very very true.
    Perhaps I should post it in the unstartable threads thread!

Seriously though its quite sad that a how much is my watch worth thread cant be posted without getting personal, I thought it might help the trade watches as plenty of those are unsure where to price their watch.

Is there anything to stop someone posting a how much is my/this watch worth now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Is there anything to stop someone posting a how much is my/this watch worth now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you are very popular, absolutely nothing.

If you have upset one of the politburo in the last ten years, your watch will get slagged off mercilessly and then it will turn to you.

Just the way it is unfortunately.

If lots of people started posting and it was in SC for instance then SC would just become full of valuations, hence the thought of putting it under one thread.

If you have upset one of the politburo in the last ten years, your watch will get slagged off mercilessly and then it will turn to you.

I dont think it is that bad, its just a watch valuation so if someone decided to get personal then they would probabley look the idiot.

Perhaps ten years ago, when this forum was a much smaller, more polite place & actual, experienced enthusiasts would give freely of their knowledge, this might have worked.

Now? No chance.

People with agendas, people who've fallen out, made up & fallen out again, SC hoovers, hawks & seagulls etc. etc..

Frankly, with all the internet at your fingertips to help you in valuing your watch, why would you need a TZ-UK figure anyway? A relatively small active membership, conservative by nature & who are, in the main, interested in a narrow range of watches won't give you the 'best' valuation; it'll be skewed by their preferences & prejudices.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Why can’t the owner just search eBay completed listings. This will provide real world sold prices based on fact rather than opinion.
    It may provide some recently sold prices. But as eBay is now actively deleting completed / ended listings after just 60 days, it's not going to give you the full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Perhaps ten years ago, when this forum was a much smaller, more polite place & actual, experienced enthusiasts would give freely of their knowledge, this might have worked.

Now? No chance.

People with agendas, people who've fallen out, made up & fallen out again, SC hoovers, hawks & seagulls etc. etc..

Frankly, with all the internet at your fingertips to help you in valuing your watch, why would you need a TZ-UK figure anyway? A relatively small active membership, conservative by nature & who are, in the main, interested in a narrow range of watches won't give you the 'best' valuation; it'll be skewed by their preferences & prejudices.
    Again there are a few here who have personal issues but its not as bad as many are making out, another reason for the valuation thread is conversation where you can openly talk about your watch and others.

As far as figures go there is a lot of experienced members here with knowledge of watches that are less well known than the mainstream, even then the most talked about brand here Rolex varies greatly with vintage dials, service parts, mix of both, it all changes the true value and these values are changing by the month.

I get your points and its a shame we have to tread carefully worrying about the outcome of a watch thread.

TZ Valuation Thread

Someone should ask Phillip.

And one can imagine how a dedicated thread would pan out, especially as there's a tendency for certain members to present their opinions as facts.

"It's worth X."
    "No, it's worth Y."
    "Oh really? **** off, you ****."

But on a more serious note, a solution looking for a problem?

Banned

Very, very true.

Craftsman
    For us that are new to the forum and the watch hobby in general a thread regarding prices for new watches that you can walk into the shop and walk out with something on your wrist, Seiko, Oris, Omega, Longines and such like would be useful. A target price thread if you like.

Master
    It's something that could be useful but I think it would be rapdily derailed. For a start having multiple watches in the same thread would get a bit confusing unless everyone quoted the first post about a watch & it would lead to arguments about 'profiting' from SC. If someone bought a watch from SC two years ago, asked for opinions on valuation now, was told it's now worth more than they paid & then stuck it on SC at that higher price then there would be charges of profiteering, despite the collective view that the watch is now worth more.

It's not always possible to look at Watchfinder & ebay for pricing.
    Last edited by Mr Pointy; 30th August 2019 at 11:46. Reason: It turns out Sporks were not a good example

Master
    A combination of EBay, Chrono24, Watchfinder, WatchRecon, WatchPatrol will almost always calibrate the info needed.

Master
    There are facebook groups for many watch makes. Rather than poo on your own doorstep here you can use fb for the same purpose and as many act the c'nut on there it makes no difference what you get into. Or even start your own group; 'Watch Valuations' or some such.

Do you have an example of this happening or is this just another made-up story?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I know a fair bit about the value of cal. 3017 Column Wheel Chronographs, Omega flightmasters and Mk II Speedmasters, early digitals, hummers, vintage Smiths and a few others however I'd be very unlikely to open a universal valuation thread as it would be all mixed up and heavily weighted toward modern Rolex of which I have very little knowledge or interest.

A generic non-vintage Rolex valuation thread might work as a useful container but for other watches I think that individual threads are the way to go so that the titles generate interest amongst enthusiasts of a particular model/brand/category.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    A generic non-vintage Rolex valuation thread might work as a useful container but for other watches I think that individual threads are the way to go so that the titles generate interest amongst enthusiasts of a particular model/brand/category.

As above. This is useful too http://www.watchdealseeker.com/
    F.T.F.A.