closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just been burgled

Just been burgled

I’ve just been burgled at 21:50 whilst we were home downstairs watching TV.

They got my wife’s wedding ring and engagement and one of my Rolexes and my wife’s.

How do I register the serial numbers? So they get flagged up?

Finally both Rolexes we bought used from these forums . So I have boxes and papers but no receipts .

Does anyone know if insurers will accept boxes and papers as proof?

Finally will they replace like for like? Both have gone up in price since purchase

Thanks , will call my insurers ASAP but I think they may be closed till Tuesday so just want to put my mind at ease.

Like for like replacement will depend on your policy. Time to read the small PRINT. Report it to the stolen Rolex register, and(?) and an AD
    Last edited by Templogin; 25th August 2019 at 00:58.

Sorry to hear that. What an awful feeling. I hope things work out for you in the end.

If you bought from the forum the original owners could help,failing that it's time to read the fine print as has been suggested

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Like for like replacement will depend on your policy. Time to read the small PRINT. Report it to the stolen Rolex register, and(?) and an AD
    Just went through it , thank god it does .
    Watches don’t bother me , wedding jewellery does.

Sucks

So sorry to hear that. Hope your insurance works smoothly, I hope the thieves are caught (although unlikely I imagine), and I hope you both aren't too unsettled by such a nasty experience. I'm glad no-one was hurt.

Journeyman
    Most importantly nobody was hurt. Watches and jewellery can be replaced, even if the feeling sucks. Best of luck with the process.

Very sorry to hear about this. Take care.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Read the small print because an insurance policy might state that items of specific value require separate insurance declarations … especially if insured for 'all risks' rather than just use in the house.

Some large insurance companies and insurance brokers have claims lines open 7 days per week

I do not insure my watches but declare to my insurance company that I have uninsured Rolex watches - thus avoiding any claims for insured items being 'averaged' downwards. My watches are stored in a safe.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 25th August 2019 at 02:13.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Sorry to hear of your loss, when my Rolex was stolen Haywood kindly added it to a few registers for me.
    I also contacted Rolex St James who emailed me a lost/ stolen form to complete.

Craftsman
    Sad to hear.

Hope they are recovered and that nobody came to any harm.

Sorry to hear. Hope for a satisfactory outcome.

Master
    That’s a real shame. Glad no-one was hurt.

Theonly thing you can do is contact your insurance company and report serial numbers to Rolex, ask Haywood to note these on registers and take it from there.

I doubt the police will have time to do anything except give you a crime number.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 25th August 2019 at 07:42.

Thank you guys. I’ll contact st James.

Been a terrible month , lost my mum suddenly 4 weeks ago tomorrow and now this.

Kids are spooked by gran not being around anymore and are worried we’ll go too and now completely terrified as a “bad man” has been in the house.

Weirdly I’m not bothered at all. I’m insured and the policy covers me for £30,000 of unlisted jewellery and watches .

So I’m insured and if I’m not - we’ve got our health. Losing mum has just numbed me to this.

Master
    Very sorry to hear your news and your loss. Let the insurance company know as soon as they are open, but let them sort things out when you’re ready. Small detail in the grand scheme of things but at least you’re insured.

Take care.

Grand Master
    Very sorry to hear of your loss, the reporting of the crime should flag up on insurance databases and also report to The Watch Register, you can call St James but they would only be of assistance if it gets put in for a service which is unlikely as it’ll remain underground.
    RIAC

So sorry for your loss, I've had a two bereavements recently, one expected but the other a complete shock, I know some of how you're feeling. To have this on top is unspeakable, I'm just so glad that you didn't hear them and disturb them. As you say, watches can be replaced. Hope it works out for you.

Craftsman
    Really sorry to hear this, went through the same thing last month so know how you feel.

I’m sure you already have but if not then report it to the police as your insurer will need the crime / incident number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your loss. Time will ease the pain.

How did they get in?

Very sorry to hear about your mum. As for the theft, I’ve suffered this myself... traumatic, but you’ll all get over it given time.

One tip - if forensics dust for fingerprints clean off the powder as soon as they leave. I didn’t and suffered the consequences, because it’s nasty stuff that only gets harder to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Time will ease the pain.

How did they get in?
    I have checked all the CCTV and the thief was working alone and he was going up my road.

I love on a country lane most houses are 60ft back from the road, they're all detached so have access on both sides. The lane goes down hill as you go along, so my house sits lower than m neighbour on my left ( as you face the house)

He walked up my neighbours drive climbed the wall and jumped on my garage. Garage is attached and flat roof, he then walked along this to the extension along the back which has a very, very low pitch and walked along this and climbed into the bedroom. He only went into one room and was out 4 minutes later.

I am still shocked he did this whilst we were downstairs. He saw 3 windows and side window was open so probably guessed the rear windows would be open too.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I am still shocked he did this whilst we were downstairs. He saw 3 windows and side window was open so probably guessed the rear windows would be open too.
    if it makes you feel any better, the entire downstairs of my house was cleaned out whilst I was wide awake upstairs. It happens.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th August 2019 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    if it makes you feel any better, the entire downstairs of my house was cleaned out whilst I was wide awake upstairs. It happens.
    We live very close to each too. I’m in Arkley
    Last edited by eagletower; 25th August 2019 at 22:23.

I dread reading these posts,
    So sorry

Master
    Sorry to read about your experience - truly sad that there will always be this risk in our lives. Hope the insurance company can deal with the losses quickly but glad you are staying positive. Can't be easy with all the things you had to go through.

Awful to read, hope you get a quick resolution.

Another question about insurance cover:

If for example, you recently bought a new GMTII or Daytona from an dealer at RRP — do insurance companies pay out on current RRP or current used value ie. the price you’d pay Watchfinder to replace them immediately?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Awful to read, hope you get a quick resolution.

Another question about insurance cover:

If for example, you recently bought a new GMTII or Daytona from an dealer at RRP — do insurance companies pay out on current RRP or current used value ie. the price you’d pay Watchfinder to replace them immediately?
    They tend to use their own supply chain to replace the product where possible. They’ll likely use DVS, LMG or Signet to validate and replace what you had.

I don’t know how their contracts work obviously but I’d be surprised if they have special consideration for low margin products like Rolex so actually the insurer might even be paying less than RRP.

Used to work in this industry for a company that replaced electrical equipment (now defunct so I can say this) and we had 2 commercial models; flat discount rate from RRP (circa 12-15% so Apple, PlayStation etc. products were sold to insurers at a loss) or cost plus (usually <10% meaning most products were sold well below RRP). Obviously the policyholder never sees any of this, they just get the shiny new box.

And a note on availability, these contracts are massive so no matter how well you know your AD, these claims handling companies will be higher up the queue than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    They tend to use their own supply chain...
    Thanks for the insight.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    They tend to use their own supply chain to replace the product where possible. They’ll likely use DVS, LMG or Signet to validate and replace what you had.

I don’t know how their contracts work obviously but I’d be surprised if they have special consideration for low margin products like Rolex so actually the insurer might even be paying less than RRP(edit-I meant less than cost, they’ll definitely be paying less than RRP).

Used to work in this industry for a company that replaced electrical equipment (now defunct so I can say this) and we had 2 commercial models; flat discount rate from RRP (circa 12-15% so Apple, PlayStation etc. products were sold to insurers at a loss) or cost plus (usually <10% meaning most products were sold well below RRP). Obviously the policyholder never sees any of this, they just get the shiny new box.

And a note on availability, these contracts are massive so no matter how well you know your AD, these claims handling companies will be higher up the queue than you.

Craftsman
    Finally both Rolexes we bought used from these forums . So I have boxes and papers but no receipts .

Does anyone know if insurers will accept boxes and papers as proof?
    When I was burgled, one of my watches that was stolen was second hand too, I didn’t have a receipt, but the insurance company accepted photos, including one of my wearing it, as evidence of owenership, so it’s worth digging a few out to go with the boxes.

Craftsman
    Not a nice time for you and your family.
    Hope you get your items back,good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We live very close to each too.
    I know the road well and sorry to hear. Very odd for a lone guy to just be wandering down there having a look about?! Must have had balls of steel as there's no quick exit.

Btw OP as this is on the open part of the forum you might want to remove the road name.

We live very close to each too.
    Yes, I remember that now. There’s been a bit of a spate in Arkley.

Master
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Regarding the burglary, here's comprehensive advice about improving home security. If your kids can see security's beefed up, it can't do any harm for their peace of mind.

Master
    Sorry to hear about your burglary & condolences on your bereavement. Hopefully your property will be recovered or replaced & the thief caught.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I feel for you.
    it shows just how unconcerned they are about being caught,which scares me.

I'm sorry to hear about your burglary. I was burgled, the burglar used a child fagan style to put a 5 year old girl through my window.. I could have caught her but something inside is glad I let her go.. A victim as well in all this.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very sorry to hear about your Mum. And now this - awful. Glad you're ok and wish you all well.

Jon

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I have checked all the CCTV and the thief was working alone and he was going up my road.

I love on a country lane most houses are 60ft back from the road, they're all detached so have access on both sides. The lane goes down hill as you go along, so my house sits lower than m neighbour on my left ( as you face the house)

He walked up my neighbours drive climbed the wall and jumped on my garage. Garage is attached and flat roof, he then walked along this to the extension along the back which has a very, very low pitch and walked along this and climbed into the bedroom. He only went into one room and was out 4 minutes later.

Really sorry to hear this. From what you've said above it sounds like someone who knows the lie of the land and not just some opportunist bell end. Can you link that to anyone recently that may have been at your place.....tradesman of some sorts?

Hoping that you can all find peace of mind during these troubling times.
    M

I posted the burglary on Nexdoor.co.uk Someone on the road that joins mine at the top got burgled too.

Just before me , same method of entry flat roof extension along the back.

Makes me feel a touch better that we weren't specifically targeted and sounds more oppourtunist.

Craftsman
    Hope you all get over this quickly.

We have a dog, she is one of the family and knows if anyone comes close to the house, better than any CCTV or alarm system. She is not aggressive but barks which is enough to get any scrotes to move on.

Master
    No help to those affected, but the annual rate of burglaries has dropped steadily for many years. Compared with 1990, householders now have only 25% of the risk. The main reason may be that modern electronic possessions aren’t usually worth stealing, low resale values.
    Set against that, the chances of being caught are also low.

Master
    To the OP

I suspect your biggest hurdle is that you were downstairs whilst the burglar entered an upstairs window via a flat roof.

I would advise your to read your exclusion clauses. About 50% of insurers will not pay for a claim if the window was left open / unlocked in a room that was unoccupied and that applies even if you were in the house whilst it happened.

So if you where in the lounge watching TV and you left an upstairs bedroom window open for ventilation, they probably will not pay up if you admit that that was how they entered. This comes under the clause of not taking reasonable care of leaving small and valuable items in an unoccupied room that is not secure.

I have these clauses in my insurance and I keep every door and window locked in unoccupied rooms all the time.

Also check whether jewellery should be kept locked in a safe, this is also a common get out.

I hope it all goes well, no one deserves this sort of thing.r

You might want to put a T in that url

This is utterly frightening for You I cannot begin to imagine the shock at the thought of intruders in your home words fail Me but My thoughts are with You.

Grand Master
    Don't like seeing these posts,gets me spooked and thinking about my collection!.

Hope all goes well,and at a time when you all have more important things on your minds.

ATB.

Master
    Just went through it , thank god it does .
    Watches don’t bother me , wedding jewellery does.

Sucks
    I was sympathetic till this post ;-)

Seriously though, I feel bad for you. I hope the claims process is as pain-free as possible. Best wishes.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    To the OP

I suspect your biggest hurdle is that you were downstairs whilst the burglar entered an upstairs window via a flat roof.

I would advise your to read your exclusion clauses. About 50% of insurers will not pay for a claim if the window was left open / unlocked in a room that was unoccupied and that applies even if you were in the house whilst it happened.

So if you where in the lounge watching TV and you left an upstairs bedroom window open for ventilation, they probably will not pay up if you admit that that was how they entered. This comes under the clause of not taking reasonable care of leaving small and valuable items in an unoccupied room that is not secure.

I have these clauses in my insurance and I keep every door and window locked in unoccupied rooms all the time.

Also check whether jewellery should be kept locked in a safe, this is also a common get out.

I hope it all goes well, no one deserves this sort of thing.r
    This the bit that worries me . Insurance companies trying to wriggle out of paying . However at most it was unattended for 20 minutes if that. Kids had been bathed , they came downstairs to say good night where I was watching TV and sister who stayed over was also upstairs but had come downstairs to get a drink .

Window was open but I’ll argue leaving open for 20 mi utes at most doesn’t count for leaving unattended .

Watches downstairs with the front door wide open while fast asleep upstairs is unattended but watches TV downstairs with windows open upstairs, surely not. Hope it is settled relatively quickly and you can move on OP.