closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New watch, for inbound baby?

Apprentice

New watch, for inbound baby?

Well, I have a daughter coming in early October, and I am wanting a new watch, to mark the occasion and to travel through our lives.

I have for some time wanting a Black Bay (red bezel) but lately the Pelagos has really been shining out to me.

I had a BB in my hands a few weeks ago, only saw one through the shop window, and I really did like the BB, I haven't seen a Pelegos in person before, but reviews, pictures and Youtube make me like the watch.

Titanium, I no the metal, but it worries me that it won't standup, needs to perform weekend duties, new born, dog walking etc etc.

How does the Pelagos wear compared to the BB? I know there's a weight benefit with the Pelagos.

All advice is welcome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuKE View Post
    Well, I have a daughter coming in early October, and I am wanting a new watch, to mark the occasion and to travel through our lives.

I have for some time wanting a Black Bay (red bezel) but lately the Pelagos has really been shining out to me.

I had a BB in my hands a few weeks ago, only saw one through the shop window, and I really did like the BB, I haven't seen a Pelegos in person before, but reviews, pictures and Youtube make me like the watch.

Titanium, I no the metal, but it worries me that it won't standup, needs to perform weekend duties, new born, dog walking etc etc.

How does the Pelagos wear compared to the BB? I know there's a weight benefit with the Pelagos.

All advice is welcome.
    I don’t own either, but I have handled and worn both.

I really like the Pelagos and were I not the owner of a Rolex diver and if the Pelagos dial did not have the words ‘rotor self winding’ on it, I would own one. The dimensions are beefy but not silly, it would fit under a shirt cuff and go well with jeans, the finish seemed very good to me, but titanium seems to more easily collect marks and scratches - that simply is what it is. For me, the most pleasingly surprising aspect was how it wore. Because it is big, I expected a bit of heft. So I was quite surprised by how light it is. It would be easy to live with, I think.

They aren’t difficult to source, so I’d strongly urge you to try both on for yourself.

Very different type of watch but when my son was born I commissioned a Dornbluth 99.1 with his name and DOB engraved on the movement. The personalised touch made a huge difference

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I did a review of my Pelagos, posted here.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Tudor-Pelagos
    Will give you a bit more information, with the benefit of four years ownership.

Both great watches with a different look. One a very modern diver the other with a clear nod to the past. A question only you can answer I am afraid. See if you can try a Pelagos somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your upcoming new arrival. We are also expecting in October and I’ve done the same. I also like the BB with Red bezel but as I already have a Tudor GMT I went for something different to anything else I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I owned both at one time. I’ve still got the Black Bay...

Master
    I have tried both and prefer the Pelagos. Objectively it is kind of the perfect dive watch.

As for the titanium, if it were me I just wouldn’t worry about it. You said you want this watch to go through life with you, any watch will pick up marks, they will be your marks. It will still look great I think.

I personally find scratches on Ti don't show up as much as they do on stainless steel.

Scratches on stainless tend to be shiny and stay that way, drawing your attention.

Scratches on Ti dull over in a few hours and blend in with no shine.

Master
    I have owned at least 3 different black bays (I forget if 3 or 4), and one Pelagos. The Pelagos is the only one I miss. I found it was much nicer on the wrist that it was in the photos - the opposite of the Black Bay

Apprentice
    Thank you for the replies.

I was out cycling today, and had 50 or so miles to think! but came to no conclusion.

I think tomorrow I will make a slight detour over to Lakeside to trying the Pelagos/Black Bay, tomorrow is Ikea and pushchair purchasing.

I look after all my items I buy, that are a heavy investment, so scratches shouldn't be to much of an issue, I just don't want it to look beaten up in 2 years time.

People mention Ti dulls, can this be buffed to a new state, like a cleaner wax (car products)?

Just to add, I really love the clasp, very neat indeed, and I haven't seen anybody wear a Pelagos, seen 1-2 BB on the wrists out and about.

Thanks
    Luke

Master
    Ti is a naturally darker metal anyway (especially compared to polished SS), and I also found that the scratches did not show as much. The Pelagos I had was a few years old and had been worn, so was definitely not mint, but looked absolutely fine

My preference would be Pelagos - BB58 - BB GMT, in that order

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Ti is a naturally darker metal anyway (especially compared to polished SS), and I also found that the scratches did not show as much. The Pelagos I had was a few years old and had been worn, so was definitely not mint, but looked absolutely fine
    The first scratch is always the worst. After a couple it’s all much of a muchness, regardless of the material! Just my perspective...

Master
    Thank you for the replies.

I was out cycling today, and had 50 or so miles to think! but came to no conclusion.

I think tomorrow I will make a slight detour over to Lakeside to trying the Pelagos/Black Bay, tomorrow is Ikea and pushchair purchasing.

I look after all my items I buy, that are a heavy investment, so scratches shouldn't be to much of an issue, I just don't want it to look beaten up in 2 years time.

People mention Ti dulls, can this be buffed to a new state, like a cleaner wax (car products)?

Just to add, I really love the clasp, very neat indeed, and I haven't seen anybody wear a Pelagos, seen 1-2 BB on the wrists out and about.

Thanks
    Luke
    Lakeside also have the 58 and GMT to try on and I wouldn’t discount those. If it’s a girl and you want to pass the wath on the 58 will be the one she would get use out of due to its smaller size. I did own a Pelagos and it is superb, especially in blue but I found it too tool like. Strange thing to say maybe but I realised it was not versatile enough for me. The bb is not my cup of tea personally. I just can’t get on with the mix of silver bezel numbers and the faux brown minute track. The GMT is a cracker and the 58 as well.

Apprentice
    Well, after some browsing of pushchairs and a purchase, we managed to head quickly into Lakeside, my wife is 33 weeks, and this weekend was warm, she struggled.

Anyway, we headed inside, straight to the see the Pelagos. I managed to get the Pelagos and Black Bay, both in black dial. My wife like the Pelagos, she like the whiteness of the Pelly, the BB looked more "old fashioned"

For me, both a new, kept looking at the Pelly, odd, as I have for 3 years liked and wanted a BB in red. Pelly felt nice, warmer to the touch, and lighter, I liked the layers of the dial too, it looks more utilitarian, which of cause it is compared to the BB.

So, still unsure! More thinking to do while this week I do some final wallpapering and painting!

Thanks
    Luke

Master
    Sounds like it is the Pelagos, but you need to get over the Black Bay Red.

One of the things I disliked about the red was the gold handset along with the silver numerals on the bezel - didn’t seem to match that well

Not sure how far you are in the Family tree but if you want to spend money then buy quality memories. Watches are nothing but commodities . You'd do better spending on something you could all share.

....if that sounds too soft then i'd go Pelagos all day long..... amazing watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Very different type of watch but when my son was born I commissioned a Dornbluth 99.1 with his name and DOB engraved on the movement. The personalised touch made a huge difference

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    That sounds like a nice idea. I like the fact they are commissioned individually.

Master
    New watch, for inbound baby
    Thought this was a trade offer on SC for a second. My wife would have been making a bee line for the watch box, for the first time ever!

Apprentice
    Well,

I had chance to try the Pelagos several times, which was great.

I love the look of the Pelagos, it looked and felt very utilitarian, now, I don't know if I like the LHD or normal version, the LHD was brought out, I wasn't interested, until I tried it on, then my decision was mudded!

Here's a picture, I don't have big hands or wrists, but my wife says there perfectly sized.

Here are some pictures

https://ibb.co/C1QNpQ7
    https://ibb.co/0j9Ffp1

Craftsman
    I think your wife was just being polite.

Get something smaller, something that fits and something that you can some day pass down to a daughter. A 36mm Datejust might seem like a stretch now, but think long term.
    Last edited by Benji053; 10th September 2019 at 22:20.

Master

All advice is welcome.
    why don't you buy one that you can give to her to wear one day

a Rolex OP 36mm ......or even a 39mm

you or your wife could then wear it and pass it on one day

it's about your daughter after all
    Last edited by BillN; 10th September 2019 at 22:36.

Which did you go for?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    Which did you go for?
    I have seen a Pelagos LHD, something slightly different from the normal Pelagos, has some notes of Black Bay.

I am going to view this over the weekend.

Thanks
    Luke

Craftsman
    Also have No 2 imminent.

No 1 has a birth year Speedy.

No2 will be a Pelagos or surprisingly a Superocean Heritage.

Master
    I had thought about buying a watch when my baby was due, but after realising how much it costs to raise a child I decided to drop the idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    I had thought about buying a watch when my baby was due, but after realising how much it costs to raise a child I decided to drop the idea!!
    I chose the best watch I could afford at the time. My son will getting a Sinn 556 on his 18th birthday, my daughter, a diamond ladies' Longines.

Neither ridiculously expensive, but I hope will be appreciated.

I would go for the pelagos,

I'd wait until they're old enough then take them to choose one they like. Or if my son takes a liking to one of mine he can have that. When I'm dead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Ha - this!

I don't understand the relevance of your daughter to buying a Pelagos and the whole "travelling with me throughout our lives" schtick. Generally things bought to coincide with the birth of a child are FOR the child, no?

Sounds like you just want to buy a Pelagos and are looking for a justification. Well, i'd say none needed - being a dad is hard, treat yourself.

Master
    Just to add, I really love the clasp, very neat indeed
    I loved it too in principle, but after owning one found it completely pointless. The spring takes a fair bit of pressure before it does anything, so it'll only ever make a difference if you're wearing your watch VERY tightly and expand from that. If it's sized and fits you properly (easy with the clasp), the spring will never come into play.

The chances of the child ever wanting to wear the watch the OP buys are very low. Think about the combination of how styles change over 20 years and that yoofs tend to favour fashion brands.

It's about marking the arrival of the child. I'd recommend buying something that you love, as you're trying to do, and wear it with pride and admiration that you bought it to mark the birth of a child. It'll always make you smile.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I chose the best watch I could afford at the time. My son will getting a Sinn 556 on his 18th birthday, my daughter, a diamond ladies' Longines.

Neither ridiculously expensive, but I hope will be appreciated.
    Fair play but so many millennials wearing smart watches that I think that’s the way forward, unless from an early age you teach them to appreciate mechanical watches :)