closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My current Rolex collection of 4 watches (and why I ended up with these)

My current Rolex collection of 4 watches (and why I ended up with these)

I've owned 14 Rolexes. All 5-digits. I totally respect the 6-digits as superior watches but I guess I'm a 5-digit guy forever... however I'm still banging my head against the wall because I didn't buy the 1675 and 5513 when the prices were still reasonable. Those are the only two Rolex watches that I'd still love to own. Passionately. Of course I wouldn't mind a double red SD or good red Sub either, but those are out of reach for an average guy like me.

Here is my current collection of 4 Rolexes and links to my blog. I always want to create a story and review of each of my watches and photographing them is part of the hobby. Read the story links, I didn't want to write a novel here.

This is my newest acquisition, the 16570 which I bought again (after missing it for 10 years). D-serial 2005, mint condition. I got it just recently so it's "new" for me. This is one of the most beautiful white dials ever made, imho.

STORY

This is my fifth Sub (previously owned the 16613 and 14060) and my third 16610. Never wanted to sell mine but things just happened. Now I will never, ever sell the current one, K-serial 2001. My previous one was a K-serial too but with "Flat S" dial.

STORY why 16610 is the best

And probably my all-time favorite, the Mighty 16600 Sea-Dweller. I don't wear it as much as the Sub but it's kinda collector's item. Badass version of the Sub... kinda. I love it. I mean HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE the classic Dweller if you're a Rolex fan?

STORY

And the "crown jewel" the amazing 16710. I'm glad that I bought mine back in 2007 when the prices were still low. As much as I love my GMT I don't quite get it why it's so expensive now (as the production numbers were so big). But hey... it's not my problem.

STORY

Now that I acquired the Explorer II again I feel that I own the best of the 5-digits. Never been a Daytona guy (although I respect the watch tremendously). I have my white Ebel BTR which is my favorite chronograph watch and I don't need more chronos.

Blue Yacht-Master is very nice but I always felt it was just a "blinged out Sub". Don't take this wrong way... it's a beautiful watch but I doubt I'd wear it much. I like it but not quite enough to purchase it.

I guess we all have to be happy with our collection at some point and I can honestly say that now after 15+ years of collecting Rolex watches. Sub and SD are kind of "duplicates" but honestly I don't know anything that could replace the Dweller. I don't care for the modern Subs but I could buy the modern 216600 Dweller to keep my 16600 company... that's a stunning watch.

If I ever going to purchase a 6-digit Rolex it will be the 216570 Explorer II or the 216600. Those are my favorites of the new model range. At 42mm the new ExpII offers a little bit of "Breitlingsque" wrist presence, which would offer some nice variation. Same can be said about the new Sea-Dweller. But honestly I think I'm done with buying new Rolex watches as the 4-digit prices are out of my reach (or my stomach).

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by JPE; 25th September 2019 at 09:27.

All lovely watches and I’d happily own and wear any. The Polar is a great addition and looks an excellent example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    All lovely watches and I’d happily own and wear any. The Polar is a great addition and looks an excellent example.
    Thanks Boris. Yeah I feel like I've collected the best ones.

I love the 16613 blue Sub passionately but whenever I put mine on the wrist it felt ostentatious so I eventually sold it.

I'm not a gold guy but man that blue dial was just stunning.

Master
    Lovely watches I take it you mean the 126600.

My 216570 says hello.

If you mean 126600 it also says hello...my only 2 Rolex watches as i don't need anymore.

Last edited by mjc1216; 24th August 2019 at 16:17.

A collection that covers all bases, except the chrono one! I've two of your four in my box, too!

@mjc: Ah... yes of course. I mean the one that replaced the classic 16600.

I really like the new Explorer II and it was a tough decision between the new one and the old 16570. I like the increased size of the new one a lot. But the old dial/bright red GMT hand won. But you definitely have my favorite 6-digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    A collection that covers all bases, except the chrono one! I've two of your four in my box, too!
    True, I respect the Daytona a lot and love the classic white dial version. But I don't like the size. 40mm is a good size generally but for a chronograph it's a bit on the smaller side. This at 45mm fulfills the white chronograph needs for me. It's not a Rolex though but it has stunning quality (and details). I also have a Seamaster chronograph "Bond".

Cheers.

Last edited by JPE; 24th August 2019 at 16:25.

Craftsman
    Love the mix - I really love the white dial, when I was buying my LV it was a straight choice between that and the white dial!

Blog Entries
    Nice collection, regardless of 5 or 6 digits I can see the merits. They are great watches when all's said and done.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Lovely Rolex collection, great, classic watches

Master
    You’ve got my dream 4 lineup there, each of them similar but different enough & all bases covered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You’ve got my dream 4 lineup there, each of them similar but different enough & all bases covered.
    Thanks man. 14060 is missing from the "best of 5-digits complete lineup". I've owned that as well. But with 16610 and 16600 it'd be a bit overboard. But who knows... haha. :D

Looks good my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Looks good my friend.
    Thanks Jocke. :)

Superb selection of Rolex 5 digits - nice you can appreciate the subtle differences between the 16610 and 16600 and keep both in the collection. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    Superb selection of Rolex 5 digits - nice you can appreciate the subtle differences between the 16610 and 16600 and keep both in the collection. Lovely!
    Thanks man.

They are actually quite a LOT different on the wrist. More than you could imagine from the pictures.

Sub wears "wide and flat" while the Dweller wears bulky, high and "narrow".

I prefer to _wear_ the Sub... it feels nicer on the wrist... but the Dweller is something that I admire. It's probably my favorite "collector's piece".

That’s interesting - thanks. I have the 16600 but never owned a 16610 to compare. Sounds like both can be owned together quite happily owing to your real world experience on the wrist. Oh no - another one to add to the list! (16610).

That’s interesting - thanks. I have the 16600 but never owned a 16610 to compare. Sounds like both can be owned together quite happily owing to your real world experience on the wrist. Oh no - another one to add to the list! (16610).
    Haha. Yeah. "A lot" is probably an exaggeration.

But SD is a lot thicker and because of thicker crystal the dial diameter is actually a bit smaller. That, and the lack of cyclops and because it sits higher on the wrist makes it somehow feel "narrower". Try the 16610 on and you'll see. Sub is "flat as a pancake" after the Dweller. How it sits on the wrist has probably a lot to do with everyone's individual hand bone structure, too.

Yes - I’ve just tried my 16600 on and I know what you mean - it does feel tall and “narrow.” I’m wearing a Bond SMP today which is flat and wide. Would you say the 16610 wears similar?

Yes - I’ve just tried my 16600 on and I know what you mean - it does feel tall and “narrow.” I’m wearing a Bond SMP today which is flat and wide. Would you say the 16610 wears similar?
    Yeah a lot like the Bond SMP. Good comparison.

I have that watch too. We seem to like similar pieces. Still my favorite Omega.

Cheers for that - gives me a good indication of how it wears. Mine says hello!

Craftsman
    Very nice collection, I also prefer the 4 and 5 digit references to their modern counterparts. Had the option to buy a GMT2 a few years ago but the way the prices have gone I think that ship has sailed!

Just my opinion, you need something on a jubilee! Maybe a nice vintage 36mm DJ?

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Very nice collection, I also prefer the 4 and 5 digit references to their modern counterparts. Had the option to buy a GMT2 a few years ago but the way the prices have gone I think that ship has sailed!

Just my opinion, you need something on a jubilee! Maybe a nice vintage 36mm DJ?
    Thanks man.

Yeah a Jubilee watch would be great. Or even a watch with the presidential bracelet. And while I love the classic 36mm I still prefer the new DJ2/DD2 lineup. Some really stunning models there and as a bigger guy I feel the 41mm is better size for me. I think Rolex did much better job upgrading the DJ/DD line than the new thick lugged Submariner (which leaves me completely cold).

PS: I have crazy fetish for the Oyster bracelets. If I had to pick up a DJ, I'd choose this with very non-traditional combo.

Yes I agree the 16610 is the go to watch unmistakable and versatile. The watch has become legendary lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Great watches Explorer polar my favourite