closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My last watch - Damasko DC66

Lots of replies to this thread, thank you. Lots to read and think about. And I take Jeremy67's point about classic cars - a comparison I've considered a few times over the years. For me it's Dinos - the inflation of their price has been eye-watering.

So, despite having a couple of Rolexes and a Panerai in the box, I'm wearing this today. And I feel happy and settled.

Journeyman
    Love the dc66 and the pictured sand coloured strap really suits it, would you mind sharing what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    (And I'm going to preface this post with the caveat that I've said this kind of thing before!)

I've been on here, TZ-UK, for years, and I've had a lot of watches through my hands. Not really any of the top end stuff - no PP, no AP, no Lange. Nothing in solid precious. But a lot of watches, mainly tool watches, and I've always had an interest in traveller's GMTs.

(And some of this next bit comes down to being temporarily financially embarrassed at the moment. I'm very luck in that a) my wife is very understanding, and b) I've had a couple of grand liquid about with which to indulge my fancies.)

But the prices of new watches? FFS. I just can't.

The price of new watches is stupid. No, that's not quite right. The price of the kind of mid-high end stuff that I like is stupid. Rolex leading the way, Omega hanging onto their coat-tails, Tag wondering where the cool kids have gone. I always thought that I could work up to an AP 15300, or 15400. But the recent +8% UK price increase (!) means that the latest 15500 steel three-hander on a bracelet, with a non-hacking movement (!!) and a case that has a reputation for being a dink magnet now costs near to £20k (!!!)

The investors now outspend the collectors, and the collectors outspend people like me, who just like to wear things. Hodinkee LEs selling out in 10 minutes, the endless run of Seiko LEs (MarineMasters over £2.5k? 6150-reissues?) £9k G-Shocks? I liked this Blancpain from Hodinkee, and I wouldn't normally spend this much, but I'd have considered it if I'd had time to think. Sold out on 10 mins.

I liked the blue-dialed Alpinist by Seiko/Hodinkee, but speculators are now charging, what? £1400?

And in the summer I picked up that Zimbe LE Seiko for a monkey and got my Panerai repaired, but all I wear now is this Damasko.

And it's kind-a spoiled me for other watches.

Some amazing technology - pushers that are WR, like the watch, to 100m. Ceramic ball-bearing bezel mechanism (the best bezel action I've ever experienced). Anti-magnetic, anti-reflective, a bracelet if you want (your watch to wear half a pound). They've fixed the 30-minute counter recently so that there are the extra five-minute hashes. And it's a decent size. And the lume is good. And it's a serviceable movement (in that, a good watchmaker should be able to service it.) The case is bomb-proof...

Just so many things. And EU 2110 new, from the factory.

Ther are still things that I'd like to try, of course, but I've bought watches over this last year and every time I compare them to the Damasko, they come up short.

So, who knows. My wife fancies a Lange for me. I'd like a few older IWCs or a Skydweller, but...

I'm OK with this Damsako. It's not a bad endpoint for this dumb journey.
    Looks like a great bit of value. I like the look of it.

I’m with you on the madness of the prices. That AP for twenty grand is plain stupid to me. I don’t see the value in it. I like and appreciate higher end watches for their intricacy and the skill in making them, but when other manufacturers can make something comparable if not better, for less, the value proposition is a tough sell. Hell, I like Rolex and I struggle to reconcile their prices versus Omega as being other than a case of ‘because they can’.

I get the want for the upper echelons, but I struggle with their prices for certain pieces.

There’s a video on watchfinder that explains the difference between a PP chronograph (I think) and a Speedmaster, it’s interesting to listen to and I get the difference in price and the reasons but the PP will never be for me.

I’m with you on speculators ruining watches for the casual hobbyist. So many manufacturers suffer from this and it makes hunting for something, at times, frustrating and disappointing.

Master

It’s not all bad

While I’ll never be able to afford anything like a Patek, I think we’re in a golden age of small and micro brands.

Internet sales mean that a class act like Damasko can flourish. Small brands mightn’t have had a viable business model in the past. These brands have been helped by the growth of online shopping.

Similarly, Kickstarter means that micro brands like Hamtun are possible.

Even watch servicing is better now, because Internet forums share recommendations about independent watchmakers.

It’s not all bad 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnbignose View Post
    Love the dc66 and the pictured sand coloured strap really suits it, would you mind sharing what it is?
    not at all. It's a Halveston canvas NATO. It's really, really good - thick, so it needs a big watch. But it's ageing nicely on my wrist, and I think it'll only look better with age.

Edit - Haveston, not Halveston.

Journeyman
    Thanks for that, it’s a toss up between yours and a similar albeit conventional nato that steveo straps do, probably go for the Haveston if the option of brushed metal exists on a 20mm strap.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    While I’ll never be able to afford anything like a Patek, I think we’re in a golden age of small and micro brands.

Internet sales mean that a class act like Damasko can flourish. Small brands mightn’t have had a viable business model in the past. These brands have been helped by the growth of online shopping.

Similarly, Kickstarter means that micro brands like Hamtun are possible.

Even watch servicing is better now, because Internet forums share recommendations about independent watchmakers.

It’s not all bad 
    I think you're right.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    What strap is this? Looks ace.

My very first automatic watch was a DA36 which I bought new from a dealer in Munich in 2007, when they were extremely hard to get. I absolutely love it and will never sell it.

It could do with a service and the case needs to be refinished (FYI don't drop it on a tiled floor!), I've contact Damasko to see if they could do this and for what price.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    What strap is this? Looks ace.

See post #56 above.
    F.T.F.A.