closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My last watch - Damasko DC66

My last watch - Damasko DC66

(And I'm going to preface this post with the caveat that I've said this kind of thing before!)

I've been on here, TZ-UK, for years, and I've had a lot of watches through my hands. Not really any of the top end stuff - no PP, no AP, no Lange. Nothing in solid precious. But a lot of watches, mainly tool watches, and I've always had an interest in traveller's GMTs.

(And some of this next bit comes down to being temporarily financially embarrassed at the moment. I'm very luck in that a) my wife is very understanding, and b) I've had a couple of grand liquid about with which to indulge my fancies.)

But the prices of new watches? FFS. I just can't.

The price of new watches is stupid. No, that's not quite right. The price of the kind of mid-high end stuff that I like is stupid. Rolex leading the way, Omega hanging onto their coat-tails, Tag wondering where the cool kids have gone. I always thought that I could work up to an AP 15300, or 15400. But the recent +8% UK price increase (!) means that the latest 15500 steel three-hander on a bracelet, with a non-hacking movement (!!) and a case that has a reputation for being a dink magnet now costs near to £20k (!!!)

The investors now outspend the collectors, and the collectors outspend people like me, who just like to wear things. Hodinkee LEs selling out in 10 minutes, the endless run of Seiko LEs (MarineMasters over £2.5k? 6150-reissues?) £9k G-Shocks? I liked this Blancpain from Hodinkee, and I wouldn't normally spend this much, but I'd have considered it if I'd had time to think. Sold out on 10 mins.

I liked the blue-dialed Alpinist by Seiko/Hodinkee, but speculators are now charging, what? £1400?

And in the summer I picked up that Zimbe LE Seiko for a monkey and got my Panerai repaired, but all I wear now is this Damasko.

And it's kind-a spoiled me for other watches.

Some amazing technology - pushers that are WR, like the watch, to 100m. Ceramic ball-bearing bezel mechanism (the best bezel action I've ever experienced). Anti-magnetic, anti-reflective, a bracelet if you want (your watch to wear half a pound). They've fixed the 30-minute counter recently so that there are the extra five-minute hashes. And it's a decent size. And the lume is good. And it's a serviceable movement (in that, a good watchmaker should be able to service it.) The case is bomb-proof...

Just so many things. And EU 2110 new, from the factory.

Ther are still things that I'd like to try, of course, but I've bought watches over this last year and every time I compare them to the Damasko, they come up short.

So, who knows. My wife fancies a Lange for me. I'd like a few older IWCs or a Skydweller, but...

I'm OK with this Damsako. It's not a bad endpoint for this dumb journey.

Master
    I really like Damasko’s! Such amazing value for money and extremely well built.

I’ve always been worried that they might look a bit big on my 6.75” wrist. What’s this one? 42mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent post! It's getting harder and harder to actually enjoy getting new watches. The Damasko is a great choice for a cool yet sane endwatch.

Thanks. Never mind the value proposition (as it were) - it's objectively an excellent 7750 chrono. The combination of bezel and chrono means that I can time two separate events, or keep track of a second time-zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    I really like Damasko’s! Such amazing value for money and extremely well built.

I’ve always been worried that they might look a bit big on my 6.75” wrist. What’s this one? 42mm?
    42mm works on my 7 1/2" wrist. The DC56 is smaller (and lacks a bezel) but is the same thickness, which exacerbates the slight barrel nature of the watch. Short lugs, mind, if that makes a difference.

Edit - one of my better pictures.

Master
    Endpoint? It doesn’t sound like it..........it’s hard to call a stop (although I’m also trying.)

I’d concur, having been fortunate enough to own a DC66 in my time, I’d get another in a heartbeat. I love the design - the face, bezel and hands are perfect IMHO. Just got to get out the habit of pesky Apple Watches as daily wearers...

I sympathise with this Walter - the average enthusiast is being priced and pushed out of the market with some brands.

Historically I have tried this before and failed miserably!.

My interest in divers watches is mostly filled with some Citizen's, the key piece is my 1000m Panerai 243 Sub (not often seen in the wild - which I like).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I have to agree with most things here. Real watch enthusiasts have been more and more pushed out of the market of well established brands. At the same time those brands are trying to position themselves higher and higher.
    And what’s left?
    German brands - although their prices increased as well - are still more achievable.
    Looks like they still haven’t given up on middle class. But of course they can’t compete with the latest technology as they relying on “old” swiss movements or their derivatives.
    I can’t think of an endpoint or being a one watch man yet, but trying to reduce the collection.
    I’ve never had a Damasko. The closest thing to it was an early Sin 756 made by Damasko.
    Although the case was lovely I was not blown away with the quality of the Sinn dial and hands in comparison with vintage Sinn watches. Due to this and a brand new 144 I lost faith a bit in Sinn.
    Damasko would be interesting to try at some point.
    By reducing the collection I can imagine an endpoint where I would have a permanent top (for me anyway) watch and something from middle class but more frequently replaced just for fun.
    German brands would be a good starting point although they rarely offer significant discounts.
    Along these lines I found the Certina DS Diver chrono. With flawless quality, ETA 7753, good specs and a significant discount I thought it’s giving a hard time to brands like Sinn or Guinand.
    But still couldn’t imagine any of those as a one watch. Maybe the Speedmaster I could, but still not working in all circumstances.
    So stays the above scenario..

Craftsman
    Nice watch and I agree with your thoughts on pricing

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Thumbs up for Damasko

I agree with the original post. A £9k G-Shock!?! Either watch prices are a bubble waiting to burst or the world’s gone mad.

However, Damasko is a great choice. Superb build quality, innovative materials and design, plus a good movement that’s easily serviced. It’s a winning combo.

Another Damasko fan here. I have a DA37 from 2006, and a DC56 from 2009, both look like new even though they've been worn a lot in rotation. At one point I had the DA37 along with a DC67, but it was just too much white, so the 67 went out and the 56 came in. However I'm having thoughts about reducing the number of watches I have and may sell some to get a Damasko DC80 chrono, I'm just waiting to see if they bring out any variants. The other German watch I have is an Archimede Deck Watch., with the 6498-2 movement upgrade. I bought this from SC to try the style when I fancied a Dornbluth but the Archimede scratched the itch so I've still got it. Both brands are very well built quality watches and show that there's more to this hobby than shiny baubles and residual values. FWIW the Damasko bezel action really is superlative.

F.T.F.A.

Another one in a similar position. I have tried Rolex (over a dozen different watches), Omega, Blancpain, Patek etc and messed around with cheaper brands like Steinhart, CWC, various Timefactors watches, Seiko, G-Shock etc and I am running out of enthusiasum. In recent years you could sell a few watches and pick up a nice 14060m 4 liner or similar age SD for £5k, but sadly those days are long gone.

The current new market madness is very Black and White, either you like a watch that is unavailable and instantly sells for 2 or 3 times list price second hand or you can pick a brand that sits in the window for months, obtain a discount because the AD wants rid and be hit with a 50% depreciation the minute you leave the shop. As such I haven't been in a watch shop for about 2-3 years now - there just doesn't seem much point.

Even the smaller brand limited editions seem destined to become instant e-bay listings these days, Steinhart, the G-Shock full metal watches etc.

I also find the current SC profiteering policing very depressing and even worse if you take a look in the BP. Did these guys really join a watch forum just to spend all day ripping the shit out of each other. Live and let live I say, a transaction will only happen if a buyer is willing to pay the asking price. The thoughts and options of a small bunch of pricks doesn't really add much to the debate. There is something to be said for only allowing the seller to post on their sales like on other forums.

I digress, but after a mass clearout I am now down to one watch and opted for the G-Shock GMW B5000 SS full metal. Solar powered, Bluetooth connected and updated several times a day. A real grab and go watch, just leave in a nice and bright place like a windowsill when not wearing.

After too many years of buying and flipping with most at a loss, sometimes considerable, I think this is the end game for me. I did have a few successes along the way, but like a bad gambler for every little victory there are more than a hatful of bad decisions.

Owl1
    Once handled a DC 56 with DC 66 hands ,,,very nice indeed . Love Damasko too.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Once handled a DC 56 with DC 66 hands ,,,very nice indeed . Love Damasko too.

I wonder if that was the same one that abraxas had? It was him who sold me my DA37 back in early 2007.
    F.T.F.A.

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I wonder if that was the same one that abraxas had? It was him who sold me my DA37 back in early 2007.
    Possibly, it was a few years back and I doubt there would be many around , I remember it looking a lot nicer than the standard white hands .

That’s a nice watch. I’ve been looking at Sinn and Damasko recently, after finding a love for Nomos. Mostly Sinn though. How does damasko compare to Sinn?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'd say probably. I went off Damasko when they started bringing out too many colourful dials and spoiled the "tool look" of the brand. These days, I do like the DC80 chrono but it has too many "lines" on the dial.

I was only messing around with them due to Eddie's involvement and the possibility of creating a Timefactors watch with their steel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    That’s a nice watch. I’ve been looking at Sinn and Damasko recently, after finding a love for Nomos. Mostly Sinn though. How does damasko compare to Sinn?

Similar. I currently have 3 Sinn and recently sold a DC56. The DC56 was too tall. Great watch though.

Both are innovators and have some interesting (proprietary) technologies. You can't go wrong with either. And you will be buying it for your own reasons rather than following the herd.

At some point I will try a DC66.the bezel should make it an easier wear breaking up the side profile. Or maybe their diver with the yellow or red accents.

Ultimately though I prefer Sinn. They have a broader choice and have been around longer. Currently wearing my 857 UTC LH Cargo.

Either way I would recommend Neil at Chronomaster. A delight to deal with and will do a deal.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for sharing the journey Walter. A great all round piece.

Be strong and maybe it'll endure. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Similar. I currently have 3 Sinn and recently sold a DC56. The DC56 was too tall. Great watch though.

Both are innovators and have some interesting (proprietary) technologies. You can't go wrong with either. And you will be buying it for your own reasons rather than following the herd.

At some point I will try a DC66.the bezel should make it an easier wear breaking up the side profile. Or maybe their diver with the yellow or red accents.

Ultimately though I prefer Sinn. They have a broader choice and have been around longer. Currently wearing my 857 UTC LH Cargo.

Either way I would recommend Neil at Chronomaster. A delight to deal with and will do a deal.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for the info. I’ve tended to go away from the herd following by getting what my dad calls ‘obscure watch brands’ such as GS, Nomos. He only wears a 1987 Explorer and Rolex is THE brand as far as he’s concerned. Have had an itch for another Rolex since selling my DJ in 2009 but as pointed out in the thread, these brands are just too overpriced these days.

Prices are crazy - actually it's not really prices per say, but the value you get for your money. Remember back ten years ago an AP Royal Oak was $8k or so, inflation cannot account for all the price increases. Cheap money and the need to protect brand image has increased the prices to crazy levels. I've made peace with buying some new watches. Even in my current area of interest, Independents has a price issue. Yes some lovely pieces of art, but some super crazy pricing. Not on.

A lot of the older 'micro brands' are doing a good job. Damasko has some great offerings - their new chronos look very interesting. Incidentally, Dornblueth have become too expensive for me, but they're still selling strong so good on them.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Prices are crazy - actually it's not really prices per say, but the value you get for your money. Remember back ten years ago an AP Royal Oak was $8k or so, inflation cannot account for all the price increases. Cheap money and the need to protect brand image has increased the prices to crazy levels. I've made peace with buying some new watches. Even in my current area of interest, Independents has a price issue. Yes some lovely pieces of art, but some super crazy pricing. Not on.

A lot of the older 'micro brands' are doing a good job. Damasko has some great offerings - their new chronos look very interesting. Incidentally, Dornblueth have become too expensive for me, but they're still selling strong so good on them.
    Dornblueth are lovely. Would like to have on of those at some point.

Master
    It’s a bit more complicated than ‘prices are crazy...’. We’re in the weird position where people pay inflated prices, but can still make a profit, or at least get all their money back. That feels unnatural, but it has made it possible to own very pricey watches without actually paying anything in the long run.
    We all sense it’s unstable and just plain odd. But it’s not true that prices have made ownership impossible. Indeed, owning a sports Rolex, bought at inflated prices, might still be cheaper than owning a Damasko. Weird world.....the sooner price sanity returns, the better.

Walter I love the DC-66 it really is elegant and stylish works on all levels for Me also I used to adore the Seiko Landmaster Springdrive that You used to have in Your superb collection.I agree with You about the pricing of new high end Swiss watches I would love to own a genuine Ronex or a Breitring(Swiss Chinese brand) or a Homega but I just put money away from each of My children so that they can get on the housing ladder plus I have decided the next round of VR I will take it as I am falling out of love with flying our SOPs on the B-777 require Us to rely too heavily on automation to the detriment of raw flying skills.

Great watches Walter, and an excellent choice. Still loving my DA36 Damasko make very fine watches, irrespective of price.

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

DC66 is a fantastic watch. I can absolutely see where the OP is coming from.
    Enjoy it but it is not your last watch:-)

As for the pricing of ‘luxury’ watches, it is an interesting issue.
    The questions that arise are :
    a) is the pricing structure out of line with similar hobbies or luxury items?
    b) have the price increases outpaced the past price increases?
    c) is this pricing supported by demand ? After all quite a few people insist that luxury watch industry is dying with the advent of smart watches etc.
    d) is it really all driven by ‘investors’ and chancers looking to make a fast buck?
    e) is pricing out of sync with average person’s disposable income?
    There is more choice today than ever. A micro brand is springing up every day. And they do make interesting and decent watches. Not to mention ever improving fakes.
    How are the ‘luxury’ brands and even G-Shocks etc able to get away with high prices?
    I would imagine one of the answers is the ever increasing income disparity and the rise of the Asian and Eastern European markets but that’s not the whole story.
    Would be interesting to see what someone with more knowledge of economics of watch industry thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    As for the pricing of ‘luxury’ watches, it is an interesting issue.
    The questions that arise are :
    c) is this pricing supported by demand ? After all quite a few people insist that luxury watch industry is dying with the advent of smart watches etc.
    d) is it really all driven by ‘investors’ and chancers looking to make a fast buck?
    There is more choice today than ever. A micro brand is springing up every day. And they do make interesting and decent watches. Not to mention ever improving fakes.
    How are the ‘luxury’ brands and even G-Shocks etc able to get away with high prices?
    I would imagine one of the answers is the ever increasing income disparity and the rise of the Asian and Eastern European markets but that’s not the whole story.
    Would be interesting to see what someone with more knowledge of economics of watch industry thinks.
    As usual excellent thoughts Raj on a very interesting topic.

Craftsman
    Thank you OP for bringing my attention to another brand that merits consideration. I find many chrono’s wear too big but the DC56 at 40mm sounds right up my street.
    I know so much of this forum discusses (non) availability of certain brands of watch which means it’s not a good time to catch those references but Damasko highlights that there are other choices....

My last watch - Damasko DC66

Thanks to the OP for the very honest appraisal of this mad watch world and his own personal situation! I’m relatively new to watch collecting. Well, more a case of relatively new to accepting it’s what I do, as I’ve always loved watches and slowly built up a little collection. I’m even newer to the forum and it’s been a revelation finding a bunch of people as addicted as me!

Truth be told though, I only bought my first (and only) Rolex 2 years ago and even since then, it’s all gone a bit bonkers. Actually buying one now seems to be something of a dark art, or require more money than sense. I’m sure that’s been the case for a while, especially the money bit, as most of my friends and ex-colleagues would consider spending even £1k on a watch as way too much!

For me, I’m now looking wider than the usual brands and Damasko, along with a whole bunch of others, really do catch my eye. The watches shown is this thread look and feel (I tried a couple on earlier today before I read this!) like properly solid, well made, timepieces, that would one day make it into my own modest collection. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to consolidate down to just one or two select pieces but I do need to make some decisions about what I currently own and try to focus a bit more.

So, thanks for posting. I hope you can continue to enjoy this weird hobby, even if it’s just looking in on the mad folk....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NCC66; 26th August 2019 at 15:43.

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Thanks to the OP for the very honest appraisal of this mad watch world and his own personal situation! I’m relatively new to watch collecting. Well, more a case of relatively new to accepting it’s what I do, as I’ve always loved watches and slowly built up a little collection. I’m even newer to the forum and it’s been a revelation finding a bunch of people as addicted as me!

Truth be told though, I only bought my first (and only) Rolex 2 years ago and even since then, it’s all gone a bit bonkers. Actually buying one now seems to be something of a dark art, or require more money than sense. I’m sure that’s been the case for a while, especially the money bit, as most of my friends and ex-colleagues would consider spending even £1k on a watch as way too much!

For me, I’m now looking wider than the usual brands and Damasko, along with a whole bunch of others, really do catch my eye. The watches shown is this thread look and feel (I tried a couple on earlier today before I read this!) like properly solid, well made, timepieces, that would one day make it into my own modest collection. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to consolidate down to just one or two select pieces but I do need to male some decisions about what I currently own and try to focus a bit more.

So, thanks for posting. I hope you can continue to enjoy this weird hobby, even if it’s just looking in on the mad folk....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Great observations here as well this is a really great thread.

Great choice. Not sure I'll ever be a one watch guy and I managed to get on the Rolex bus before it went into orbit. Whatever they're doing it seems to be working. To suggest Rolex owners are just sheeple is a bit wrong. They make superb timepieces and have first class customer service relations.

I did however start with TAG and then Sinn. I would never be without the overbuilt quality of Sinn. Currently a U2 and a 757 Diapal but I've had six or seven different models.
    I'm in the fortunate position to consider myself done. Still happy to talk watches and every now and then I think 'oh that's really nice' but I've taken a step back from SC because I can't see anything replacing my current lot (though I have been at the point of trading almost very recently).
    If You decide to go with one watch then Damasko is as good a brand as I can think of. Me, I'd struggle with one but if I could have 3, a Sinn would definitely be on the list.

Ray
    Last edited by manganr; 26th August 2019 at 15:50.

Outrageous wealth demands exclusivity - whether real or imagined
    Gray

Master
    I get the OPs comparison issue as I'd agree Damasko offer very solid vfm and are hard to beat if you can find one that aesthetically floats your boat. I'm a fan and have a couple but their simplicity is an acquired taste and they're not as versatile in terms of being able to be dressed up or down which means, for me at least, they fall well short of being a 'one watch'.

Last edited by deepreddave; 26th August 2019 at 16:53.

Great writing, I identify myself with your words.

Prices are mad.

Cheers

There is no last watch for an enthusiast. Been here 10 years, had a lot of watches, things have slowed a lot the past 2-3 years but keep getting the urge and did buy one last xmas

I think there are still some very good value propositions - but the established brands/hierarchy is generally here to stay.

I still think a Date-Just is relatively good value, when compared to both other prestige/high end watches that have the same use and features, and other Rolex models. I honestly get almost as much enjoyment from wearing my blue dial DJ2 as I get from my Nautilus - I just prefer having more choices.
    It's just a matter of time...

I can't argue with the OP. Collectors are being pushed out by investors and prices are just ludicrous. My comfort zone price ensures my options are forever decreasing unfortunately, which makes the passion for collecting ever harder.

I own some lovely pieces but my passion is slowly dying and do feel my collection will be reduced to 1 in the very near future.

I am not sure ‘investors’ are responsible for driving up the prices entirely.
    Even though people often talk about watches as an investment but is hard to believe that small fraction is what is driving the price escalation. Who are these investors? Is it that bloke in WT asking which Rolex is a better investment?
    He is hardly enough to drive up the prices.
    Are we talking about the grey market? A grey market can only flourish if there is a demand.
    I am not sure if I have the answer but it is too pat to say ‘investors’ are pushing out the collectors.

I bought my 2nd DC67 back a while ago & have no intention of selling it again.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Argh, I hear what you are saying. I am looking at mine and thinking do I need more than two?

Lots of interesting replies, thank you - I've read them all. I'm going to reply to RAJEN's post, as it contains several things I could respond to.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    a) Yeah, I think it is. And I think my response to this bit fits with my response to e). Yes, it is. I've mentioned before, I think, that I bought my son, when he was born, a new 16600 SD. It was (from memory) £2880-ish, nearly 10 years ago. What would the list price of a new SD be? What would the aftermarket price of a new SD be? Has my income grown by the same proportion? No, I don't think it has.

My son's watch is a full-set with a recent Rolex service. It's been a good investment, but I didn't buy it as an investment! I bought it so that, when he's older, he can wear a watch that he remembers me wearing - a connection between the two of us. It's a happy (I guess) accident for him that it's proven to be a great financial investment, as well as an emotional one.

c) Much of the demand is driven by the demand, I'm sure. I don't think more people are wearing Rolex watches. I think more people are speculating. Demand has always been high for steel sports, but add in 20% more speculators, or people buying to flip, and there's the bottleneck.

d) not all, but enough to make a mess for "honest" buyers like me.

I'm lucky that, with a poor set of skills and a fast mouth, I've got a career that values me highly, and I earn a lot (For a teacher, I earn a fortune.) But eight, nine, ten grand for a steel Rolex three-hander?

When I started pissing about with watches, I did the same as everyone - I started small, with Seikos, then up to, what? Sinn? Then a little higher, then a little higher. Then finally (finally!) a Rolex for nearly £3k. How do you begin to approach a £10k Rolex these days? What's your route? How do you get to spend five figures (FIVE FIGURES on a watch?

We (as enthusiasts, buyers, collectors) are complicit in a cruel trick being played on the public by a greedy company that seems to be testing what they can get away with.

My Damasko is tougher than a Rolex. It contains more innovation and technology. It is distinctive and supremely well-made, it is more useful and costs under half of the cheapest Rolex. less than a quarter of the cheapest Rolex chrono.

This frog has leapt out of the pot. Have fun!

(Stay tuned for me buying a steel Rolex and falling back into nasty old habits.)

Also...

Glad you shed a few watches, or I’d have never got that nice little Landmaster a few months back (which my 11yr old bagged and wears daily!!!).

A post I can agree with on many levels, and I also find myself creeping closer to being a one (or so) watch man with my current BB Chrono
    Like the Damasko, I just can’t see much competing with at the price point and am a little jaded with a lot of watches, and certainly the watch market, at the moment.

Master
    I had a DC56 ages ago which I traded and have regretted it ever since. Perhaps I should get another one...

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    ...The price of new watches is stupid. No, that's not quite right. The price of the kind of mid-high end stuff that I like is stupid. Rolex leading the way, Omega hanging onto their coat-tails, Tag wondering where the cool kids have gone.
    I've been away for a few years and coming back I cannot believe the prices. Everything with a name begins around £5.000. Do they really believe that people are going to be dropping that kind of cash, over and over? In the old days everybody had one watch. They tried to get the best they could and believed that with servicing it would probably last them a very long time.

Perhaps that is where watch enthusiasts will eventually advance to. Don't have 5 watches at £10k each, have one watch at £50k. Don't have 3 watches at £2K, have one watch at 6k.

Anyway, these two articles below even at a couple of years old, they say alot. Aaron (the author of both) had a blog, where he used to go deeper but unfortunately it was taken down. From what I remember, the margins of the manufacturers are so low that any meaningful (for us) reduction will close them down.

Watch Pricing Series Part 2: How Did Watch Prices Get So Seemingly High?
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-p...h-prices-high/

From A Swiss Perspective, US Watch Prices Haven’t Increased That Much
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/swiss-p...ices-increase/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    I have decided the next round of VR I will take it as I am falling out of love with flying our SOPs on the B-777 require Us to rely too heavily on automation to the detriment of raw flying skills.
    What you gonna do instead? Maybe something with more raw flying skills needed such as museum-dodging DC-3s in Canada or backwoods airlines in Indonesia? :-)

Master
    Damasko make arguably the best 7750 chrono out there, its just shame the movement itself is so damn fat that it makes for an over thick case. I love Damaskos but can't get on with any 7750 watch.

I had a DC67 a while back, bought as I was offered one from my own WTB. I bought it because I should have loved it. Simple, utilitarian, bombproof and full lume.
    To my disapointment I knew as soon as I opened it that I would sell it immediately.
    All the good points were still there, but it just looked wrong. Too utilitarian, with a very basic off-the-peg numeral font and hands that seem to be borrowed from another watch.
    So I sold it. There was no way it was going to be my last watch......
    I have promised myself that I will have another Damasko, probably using the new (well, recent, announced years ago) chronograph, without numerals, the DC80, which has, to my mind, the better hand set. But I have held off so far as I still think they look a tad unsophisticated. When they release one with a 1-12 bezel it will be hard to resist......

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    The investors now outspend the collectors,
    Sadly the same is true of classic cars. When did you last see an e-type on the road? You do occasionally but now they are all 100k of someones portfolio. The same is true for 308/328s, there are loads of them and you used to see one from time to time, normally being driven hard. I can't remember when I last saw one on the road and I live 25 minutes from Goodwood.