closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian - Spoilers further down read with caution.

So what do we think, first move into a live action series?

https://youtu.be/aOC8E8z_ifw
    Last edited by dougair; 19th December 2020 at 12:17.

I'm up for anything that Werner Herzog chooses. I liked his turn in the Jack Reacher film - this will be, at best, competent, and could be good. Streaming? Disney's streaming service?

Master
    I watched this trailer yesterday and didn't even realise it was for a series - I thought it was the next stand-alone movie!

This trailer debuted at the "D23" expo along with a new Star Wars the Last Jedi extended trailer... sadly they have refused to share that one, it was for people at the show only! Grrrr.

I quite like the idea of the disney streaming service. It looks (based on the US pricing) like it'll cost about a fiver a month, which look like good value for all of the Disney movies, all of the Star Wars and related franchise stuff and all of the Marvel movies plus related TV series.
    I'm secretly hoping they have produced another Daredevil or Punisher series to launch with, they have both proven to be exceptional (I was skeptical at first).

Unfortunately I am currently hooked on Netflix, and considering a Prime subscription as well for stuff like The Grand Tour. I believe Prime have also outbid Netflix to be the exclusive channel for the new Jack Reacher series when that finally kicks off... add Disney as well and I'll be paying a fortune in subs for channels.

I’m guessing it will come to DisneyLife in the U.K.? £4.99 a month! As you say all the subs add up, however I think they offer a 7 day free trial...enough time to watch the whole series 👍🏻

Craftsman
    Looks cool to me. Also has a cool lookingJeff Goldblum series too on Disneyplus

Looking forward to this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It looks a lot darker and edgier than the Star Wars series. I like it, but then Werner Herzog is an excellent actor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It looks a lot darker and edgier than the Star Wars series. I like it, but then Werner Herzog is an excellent actor.
    Its harkening to that Rogue One edgy , rugged look. I like it. It seems very Gaza-strip-esque , bombed out buildings , heads on poles (are they helmets or heads in helmets) . It's got a post war Iraq feel to it but focused on local inhabitants and it's characters not the forces (pun intended) outside such as the Empire per say.

Oh just seen Carl weathers and Nick Nolte also , I'm in . Got to be better than that Solo film.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 24th August 2019 at 22:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Apparently not available in the UK until Q1 2020. Apparently Disney want it broadcast on an exclusive platform. Massive own goal IMO as fans won’t want to wait and risk spoilers and will find other ways of watching it.
    https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...ney-in-the-uk/

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Apparently not available in the UK until Q1 2020. Apparently Disney want it broadcast on an exclusive platform. Massive own goal IMO as fans won’t want to wait and risk spoilers and will find other ways of watching it.
    https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...ney-in-the-uk/
    It is massively frustrating. Hopefully when it comes there will be some way to subscribe for a month trial, watch it all then cancel. I don’t need another streaming service!

Master
    Looks good but a quick look on IMDB shows that Carl Weathers, Werner Herzog, Nick Nolte, Giancarlo Esposito and the eye candy provided by Ming-Na Wen and Gina Carano are only in it for one episode

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    It is massively frustrating. Hopefully when it comes there will be some way to subscribe for a month trial, watch it all then cancel. I don’t need another streaming service!
    It isn't being made available all at once so that won't work. Disney are many many things but being daft isn't one of them :)

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    It isn't being made available all at once so that won't work. Disney are many many things but being daft isn't one of them :)
    It might be a long wait then 😩

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

Free testing here in Holland until Nov 12 (the day the Mandalorion is released). Monthly fee is 7 euros, just under what we pay for Netflix.

If you are watching The Mandalorian, you will really enjoy this jaw-dropping five minute behind the scenes of how it is made.

My first career was in media, TV and film, and my company worked on a number of productions, including in the field of special effects. That was twenty years ago.

What can now be done, and how it is done with new technology is quite simply astounding.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Started watching this last night, hooked from the opening scene and will likely have it finished by the weekend.

So many nods to the original trilogy - it’s a feast for the eyes.

Thumbs up

I watched it all, week by week, when it was originally released on Disney +.

Starts off very well, but unfortunately goes downhill quite quickly - ends up a children's Disney merchandising vehicle. :(

I was so disappointed. Great production values of course, and SFX.

Red face

Just watched it. Wow! :) Acting in front of a 'blue screen' will soon be a thing of the past. I love all this new technology. I used to muck around with Maya, Lightwave and Softimage, back in the day, but the software for films and games these days is simply mind-blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    If you are watching The Mandalorian, you will really enjoy this jaw-dropping five minute behind the scenes of how it is made.

My first career was in media, TV and film, and my company worked on a number of productions, including in the field of special effects. That was twenty years ago.

What can now be done, and how it is done with new technology is quite simply astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Thanks for that, really enjoying the series and that was great to see the way they're making it...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Series 2 is nice, but so far, it lacks the 'darkness' of the first series. Still, after 2 episodes highly entertaining.

As a sidestep: 'End Credit Art' (paintings) at the end of the episodes look like they came from a comic book. They're awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I watched it all, week by week, when it was originally released on Disney +.

Starts off very well, but unfortunately goes downhill quite quickly - ends up a children's Disney merchandising vehicle. :(

I was so disappointed. Great production values of course, and SFX.
    That surprises me - I thought it started off well and just got better!

I really wanted to love this because it should have been fantastic.
    I enjoyed it but it could have been much better, just thought it was a bit slow and boring. Hopefully the 2nd season is better, even if it isn't, I'll still watch them all with the kids anyway.
    And yes, the art work is amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Haven’t got round to series 2 yet but did series 1 on one weekend so will be diving in very soon. Letting the excitement build up!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Loved the first 2 episodes of season 2.

More enjoyment in 40 mins then the last two movies.

Agree it could be a little darker and im sure it will be at some point.

I think it’s brilliant. It’s got better and better. The closing scene of season 1 had my son and I exclaiming because of a specific reveal.

Season 2 has got off to a good start although my son really didn’t like chapter 10 due to a particular set of creatures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I think it’s brilliant. It’s got better and better. The closing scene of season 1 had my son and I exclaiming because of a specific reveal.

Season 2 has got off to a good start although my son really didn’t like chapter 10 due to a particular set of creatures.
    In that case, it really 'delivered'.

I agree that the series offers more action than the movies. I love the way the director(s) incorporated westerns and thrillers into the 'look and feel'.

M

Journeyman
    It is so rare that I can watch something with my 2 children and my wife and we all enjoy it. The Mandalorian is great for that. It is now part of our Friday night routine.

I’ve watched it all to date with my 11 and 8 year olds. We love it, and I thought the first series built really nicely. It’s become real occasion TV here and it’s great to settle down on a Friday to watch together.

The Mandalorian

A friend of mine won’t stop waxing lyrical about this series! Is it possible that a non sci-fi loving wife could get into it?

Asking for a friend!
    Last edited by D3ckard; 7th November 2020 at 18:50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ckard View Post
    A friend of mine won’t stop waxing lyrical about this series! Is it possible that a non sci-fi loving wife could get into it?

Asking for a friend!
    Always difficult to answer if you're not into SF. On the other hand: it's good enough to watch alone. I'm blessed with a wife who's more into all sort of genres than me. That includes SF thriller and even horror.

(My oldest and my wife always watched horror movies together. She rated them with 1, 2 or 3 pillows...)

I really enjoy the series

Master
    Whole family love it here.

Star Wars has always been a bit of a Western in space, Ralph McQuarrie illustrated it well in his pre-production paintings:

Boba Fett was Clint Eastwood in space, Joe Johnston added a poncho & Ben Burtt the sound editor on the Empire Strikes Back even added the sound of spurs as Boba Fett joins Darth Vader on Cloud City, even though he wasn't wearing any:

Think The Mandalorian takes this even further, like a future version of the Man with No Name:

Great series, we love it.

Blog Entries
    Good comparison!

Menno

Started series one this lunchtime

I’m hooked

It’s outrageously easy to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I thought it was pants. Perhaps it’s because I’m old enough to remember the sense of wonder of the original films. Somehow that Star Wars magic and atmosphere is completely lacking. Perhaps it’s because of the no doubt very clever technical trickery, which doesn’t allow it to be directed in the way you would direct a real film in a real location. Perhaps it’s because it features a man wearing a helmet talking to a mini Yoda who doesn’t talk. Perhaps it’s because the Mandalorian has the worst, pan pipes based theme tune in the entire Star Wars universe. Somewhere between the poor pacing, bad acting, and dull episodic story, everything that makes Star Wars capture the imagination trickles down the drain. I watched the first episode of series 2 to see if it had improved - well the first half of it - but it clearly hasn’t. I feel it’s been made by people who simply don’t understand Star Wars. Perhaps it’s a generational thing.

Craftsman
    Enjoyed the first two episodes very much, and the general ambience throughout season 1 (including the fantastic musical score!), but the further the season goes on the more it slides into more conventional good guys and bad guys, Star Wars clichée storytelling, which turns a bit boring. I also thought the ending with Giancarlo Esposito came out of nowhere, it felt like the writers had no idea how to end the story and just threw something together last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I thought it was pants. Perhaps it’s because I’m old enough to remember the sense of wonder of the original films. Somehow that Star Wars magic and atmosphere is completely lacking. Perhaps it’s because of the no doubt very clever technical trickery, which doesn’t allow it to be directed in the way you would direct a real film in a real location. Perhaps it’s because it features a man wearing a helmet talking to a mini Yoda who doesn’t talk. Perhaps it’s because the Mandalorian has the worst, pan pipes based theme tune in the entire Star Wars universe. Somewhere between the poor pacing, bad acting, and dull episodic story, everything that makes Star Wars capture the imagination trickles down the drain. I watched the first episode of series 2 to see if it had improved - well the first half of it - but it clearly hasn’t. I feel it’s been made by people who simply don’t understand Star Wars. Perhaps it’s a generational thing.
    Well, I saw Star Wars (before they renamed it a new hope) when I was 8 years old and have been a bit of a fan ever since. The Mandalorian and Rogue One have been the only live action Star Wars that ‘feels’ like Star Wars to me since the original trilogy. I don’t see anything wrong with the pacing, the acting or the music - as others have said it’s a space western which imho captures the spirit of the original and - like rogue one - is clearly made by a fan, not by committee. So I totally disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Well, I saw Star Wars (before they renamed it a new hope) when I was 8 years old and have been a bit of a fan ever since. The Mandalorian and Rogue One have been the only live action Star Wars that ‘feels’ like Star Wars to me since the original trilogy. I don’t see anything wrong with the pacing, the acting or the music - as others have said it’s a space western which imho captures the spirit of the original and - like rogue one - is clearly made by a fan, not by committee. So I totally disagree!
    I agree with this.
    The Original Trilogy, followed by Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

None of the others have the same 'feel' about them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    I agree with this.
    The Original Trilogy, followed by Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

None of the others have the same 'feel' about them.
    Agree with this. The Force Awakens had a few sprinkles of magic but ended up too cheesy and Disneyfied.

Just hope they dont ruin the Mandalorian later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    Enjoyed the first two episodes very much, and the general ambience throughout season 1 (including the fantastic musical score!), but the further the season goes on the more it slides into more conventional good guys and bad guys, Star Wars clichée storytelling, which turns a bit boring. I also thought the ending with Giancarlo Esposito came out of nowhere, it felt like the writers had no idea how to end the story and just threw something together last minute.
    If, by the end of Season 2, it's still mostly The Mandalorian and Bxxx Yxxx going from place to place having hour long self-contained adventures then I would probably agree with you. Having said that, I'm enjoying every episode whether it advances the stary arc or not.

I don't take Star Wars as seriously as some, but I quite enjoyed the first series of the Mandalorian.

Personally, I found the self-contained episodes a bit limiting on the whole, but my wife liked it, so you pays your money...

I thought the first episode of S2 was particularly good though (if a bit Magnificient Seven), so I hope they can maintain that standard throughout the second series.

It's a bit of fun and worth 40 minutes or so of your time once a week.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Agree totally with this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If, by the end of Season 2, it's still mostly The Mandalorian and Bxxx Yxxx going from place to place having hour long self-contained adventures then I would probably agree with you. Having said that, I'm enjoying every episode whether it advances the stary arc or not.
    It's like those Thunderbirds episodes from the 60s. Epic TV, still etched in my memory. All episodes were simple 50 mins adventures, but part of a larger story.

The Mandalorian's voice has been bugging me, as it sounds really familiar. I've just realised it sounds a lot like Clint Eastwood. Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The Mandalorian's voice has been bugging me, as it sounds really familiar. I've just realised it sounds a lot like Clint Eastwood. Is it just me?
    Sounds like Oberyn Martell from Game of Thrones if you ask me ;)

Pretty happy to see a certain character at the start of season 2. Hoping to see the rumoured characters from clone wars/rebels series fairly soon as well.

Was a little underwhelmed with the first season first time round. The middle episodes all being separate little stories which added nothing to the main story arc and could be watched in any order or missed out completely. Was pleasantly surprised when a couple of those episodes were tied together in the last couple of episodes. Watched it all a second time in prep for season 2, and it felt a bit more cohesive to me.
    Looks like season 2 is going the same way, Mando wandering the galaxy having little separate adventures along the way, none of which tie together. For some reason i'm reminded of 'the littlest hobo'

Blog Entries
    Is it me or was this week's episode a "filler"? Either that or it's a very long lead-up to something in the next episode or two.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Was a little underwhelmed with the first season first time round. The middle episodes all being separate little stories which added nothing to the main story arc and could be watched in any order or missed out completely. Was pleasantly surprised when a couple of those episodes were tied together in the last couple of episodes. Watched it all a second time in prep for season 2, and it felt a bit more cohesive to me.
    Looks like season 2 is going the same way, Mando wandering the galaxy having little separate adventures along the way, none of which tie together. For some reason i'm reminded of 'the littlest hobo'
    It’s like a cross between The Hulk and Kung Fu

I enjoy it.

Concept art for an unused scene from the Empire Strikes Back...