closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone struggling with Pulmonary Fibrosis?

Anyone struggling with Pulmonary Fibrosis?

I was recently diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, in addition to the mild/moderate emphysema I've had for awhile. The combination is known as CPFE. I suppose smoking three packs of Marlboros every day from 1965 to 1993 could do that to you! That equates to 84 "pack-years."

I'm still undergoing tests to evaluate the degree of the problem, but I know it's progressive and irreversible.

Just wondering if any other members have similar diagnoses. I've done a lot of internet research, but I'd like to hear of more personal experiences.

Thanks mates!

I can't help you with your diagnosis, but in year like we've had I didn't want to scroll on without saying I hope you're ok and I hope someone can help with some advice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Take care mate.

Master
    I'm struggling with a lung infection myself at the moment, and it certainly doesn't help matters when you have to wear a mask in public.

Thankfully my lung problem should be over in a few more weeks, hopefully your diagnosis and treatment programme will lead to an improvement in your day to day life. It may take a while, and some experimentation to find a treatment that works best for you. Good luck

Master
    Mother in Law has a version brought on by Arthritis, it manifests its self by her getting out of breath just making a cup of tea. At 87 she has shunned any medication, however her practitioner advised her medication is available albeit with known side effects. She has good and bad days and certainly needs to be aware of her exertion eg changing the beds exhausts her.

Her condition has deteriorated over the last three years , but it is progressive and measured.

Whilst Covid is around we have been paranoid about her catching it as her respiratory system is already compromised, so as said above, look after yourself and ask about any medication/ early eligibility for a CV vaccine.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I can't help you with your diagnosis, but in year like we've had I didn't want to scroll on without saying I hope you're ok and I hope someone can help with some advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Take care mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    I'm struggling with a lung infection myself at the moment, and it certainly doesn't help matters when you have to wear a mask in public.

Thankfully my lung problem should be over in a few more weeks, hopefully your diagnosis and treatment programme will lead to an improvement in your day to day life. It may take a while, and some experimentation to find a treatment that works best for you. Good luck
    Thanks for the kind thoughts...much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Mother in Law has a version brought on by Arthritis, it manifests its self by her getting out of breath just making a cup of tea. At 87 she has shunned any medication, however her practitioner advised her medication is available albeit with known side effects. She has good and bad days and certainly needs to be aware of her exertion eg changing the beds exhausts her.

Her condition has deteriorated over the last three years , but it is progressive and measured.

Whilst Covid is around we have been paranoid about her catching it as her respiratory system is already compromised, so as said above, look after yourself and ask about any medication/ early eligibility for a CV vaccine.

Steve
    Hey Steve, although I'm far younger than your mother-in-law, I have similar symptoms and experiences. Last week I wheeled our four trash bins out to the curb for pick-up, and my oxygen level dropped to a precarious 71%. I was huffing and puffing. My two pulmonologists recommended I go to the Emergency Room at the hospital, which I did, but was released after four hours of testing, monitoring, and x-ray. I've now been outfitted with a home oxygen setup.

I'm sure it would help if I lost a few pounds, too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Hey Steve, although I'm far younger than your mother-in-law, I have similar symptoms and experiences. Last week I wheeled our four trash bins out to the curb for pick-up, and my oxygen level dropped to a precarious 71%. I was huffing and puffing. My two pulmonologists recommended I go to the Emergency Room at the hospital, which I did, but was released after four hours of testing, monitoring, and x-ray. I've now been outfitted with a home oxygen setup.

I'm sure it would help if I lost a few pounds, too!
    Sounds like we are all in a similar boat. I was almost on my knees after climbing one flight of stairs, I ended up in ICU for 5 days, followed by another 5 days in the infectious diseases unit and was on oxygen for 8 of the 10 days. I finally got out last Saturday afternoon. The problem I have is not infectious (fungal lung infection) but it was the safest place to put me due to an underlying autoimmune problem. My autoimmune system is effectively switched off, hence why a simple lung infection took such a heavy toll.

I'm almost enjoying the spaced out sensations, and am going with the flow

Sounds like we are all in a similar boat. I was almost on my knees after climbing one flight of stairs, I ended up in ICU for 5 days, followed by another 5 days in the infectious diseases unit and was on oxygen for 8 of the 10 days. I finally got out last Saturday afternoon. The problem I have is not infectious (fungal lung infection) but it was the safest place to put me due to an underlying autoimmune problem. My autoimmune system is effectively switched off, hence why a simple lung infection took such a heavy toll.

I'm almost enjoying the spaced out sensations, and am going with the flow
    Hope you fully recover very soon.

Get well soon

Tom I am really sorry to read this.
    It came out of nowhere for me because you’re a runner and as such enjoy one of the best exercises to keep your pulmonary function in check.
    I believe that as a vet - let alone with the sort of medical insurance you may have with your wife’s package- you’ll have access to the best possible care
    In any case you have my very best wishes.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Tom I am really sorry to read this.
    It came out of nowhere for me because you’re a runner and as such enjoy one of the best exercises to keep your pulmonary function in check.
    I believe that as a vet - let alone with the sort of medical insurance you may have with your wife’s package- you’ll have access to the best possible care
    In any case you have my very best wishes.
    Thanks so much!

Yes, I've been a runner for the past 50+ years, but half those years I was a heavy smoker. I quit cold turkey on my 467th attempt (or thereabouts), in 1993! I was pretty sure the emphysema would eventually catch up to me (and it has), but the pulmonary fibrosis is a surprise, and we can't identify the primary cause, which isn't unusual.

More breathing tests and serial CT scans are needed to determine a prognosis and timeline.I guess when you smoke more than 600,000 of these, you get what you pay for.

Or, as a friend of mine says, "If you mess with a bull, you'll get the horn!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    .I guess when you smoke more than 600,000 of these, you get what you pay for.

It was pretty stupid of us, but lets face it we were addicts. My score was around 330,000 and it was giving up the evil weed that started my health problems as the nicotine was keeping my faulty autoimmune system under control.

Try and put it to the back of your mind for a week or two, put your feet up and enjoy your Christmas.

It was pretty stupid of us, but lets face it we were addicts. My score was around 330,000 and it was giving up the evil weed that started my health problems as the nicotine was keeping my faulty autoimmune system under control.

Try and put it to the back of your mind for a week or two, put your feet up and enjoy your Christmas.
    Great idea.