closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To service or not to service?? Sub Date 1999

Craftsman

To service or not to service?? Sub Date 1999

Purchased a 1999 Swiss only dial Sub Date from a member on here who was the original owner from new. Full set and had original purchase receipt. Still sat with the sticker on the back in amazing condition. But never serviced in it`s 20 years life. I wouldn`t have been able to sell it but he wanted a newer ceramic piece and wanted to release the cash.

Time keeping wise within 2 secs

Question is would you guys send it in for a service or leave until it gives me problems?

all weapons in fallout 3

online picture upload

www forensic anthropology com

Last edited by forest172; 24th August 2019 at 11:22.

Master
    Interested in this thread as mine is 2003 - worn continually, but never serviced - it keens good time but I have never been obsessed to checking how accurate it is to the second

At 20 years old I would service it. If it’s a bit of a time capsule watch I might be tempted to use an independent such as Genesis.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I’d peel off that green thing off the back. Then I’d ask watchmaker to open and take a look what is going on with oils and rotor axle. If everything is ok, I’d wear until something happens.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    At 20 years old I would service it. If it’s a bit of a time capsule watch I might be tempted to use an independent such as Genesis.

D

aren't Genesis prices similar to Rolex

Great catch! SELs and lugholes. Perfect combination of probably the best watch ever made.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

D

Think Rolex see this as a vintage, so independents may be cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    First, I’d peel off that green thing off the back. Then I’d ask watchmaker to open and take a look what is going on with oils and rotor axle. If everything is ok, I’d wear until something happens.
    Why the hate for the green sticker? Good point

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Great catch! SELs and lugholes. Perfect combination of probably the best watch ever made.
    Thank you, exactly what I was after. Have 4 ceramics so adding an older watch to my collection was my next move. Had PM from somebody on here when I started asking about older subs. Next minute I made the 3 hour journey to meet up with Chris

Next move would be a non-date tritium dial

I'd have it serviced by a trusted independent, especially if it is a keeper (which it sounds like it is) and you are wanting to wear it regularly. Great watch btw.

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Why the hate for the green sticker? Good point
    That thing has been collecting dirt for 20 years.

Master
    My watches are serviced at 5 year intervals as a matter of course and I would definitely have this serviced after this period of time.

I know there are different schools of thought regarding servicing but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Were it mine I would send it to Rolex Service Centre accordingly who will do a first class job.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 24th August 2019 at 16:03.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    My watches are serviced at 5 year intervals as a matter of course and I would definitely have this serviced after this period of time.

I know there are different schools of thought regarding servicing but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Were it mine I would send it to Rolex Service Centre accordingly who will do a first class job.
    Think you're right this is the route I'm going to take, must need fresh lube inside it. Just the fact it keeps fantastic time

Think you're right this is the route I'm going to take, must need fresh lube inside it. Just the fact it keeps fantastic time
    They are so well built that they will continue to function quite well even without good lubrication.
    In the end you'll have a lot of extra wear.

Especially the rotor post is a weak spot in these movements.It will wear and at a certain point the rotor will come slightly loose and scratch the bridges.

I'd be calling Duncan Potter immediately. Aside from a warranty job (which in turn spawned a return for repair of damage caused by that warranty work) at St James's, all my Rolexes have gone and continue to go to Duncan.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Gaskets will be pretty dry, ditto oils. Get it serviced ASAP.

Another recommendation for Duncan at Genesis. I don’t service my watches at any particular interval but at that age with no history, I would.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'd be calling Duncan Potter immediately. Aside from a warranty job (which in turn spawned a return for repair of damage caused by that warranty work) at St James's, all my Rolexes have gone and continue to go to Duncan.
    + 1 for Duncan Potter at Genesis

Do Rolex services not cost the same, regardless of the wear (or lack thereof) on the movement parts?

I'm not referring to cases when the hands, face etc. need replacing, just when the movement needs TLC.

Master
    If its keeping good time, self winds and the power reserve is as it should be, it feels fine via the crown when winding and adjusting and there are no odd sounds then I'd wear it happily

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    If its keeping good time, self winds and the power reserve is as it should be, it feels fine via the crown when winding and adjusting and there are no odd sounds then I'd wear it happily
    Lubrication will be none- existent in some areas, particularly keyless work and auto- winding parts.......but what do I know?

Waiting until it sounds and feels wrong, in the knowledge that the watch hasn’t been serviced, is unwise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    SELs and lugholes.
    From the photo of the back of the watch doesn't look like SELs, surely?

Lovely watch, by the way. They look so small and delicate compared to today's ceramic bruisers! Every Rolex collection should have one.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Lubrication will be none- existent in some areas, particularly keyless work and auto- winding parts.......but what do I know?

Waiting until it sounds and feels wrong, in the knowledge that the watch hasn’t been serviced, is unwise.
    Paul, I respect your opinion on movement serving but I favour the ‘don’t fix until it’s broken’. Would you say a 20 year old watch that’s been serviced 4 times would be mechanically better or more reliable than a watch that has just had one recent service in the same period?

I’m thinking that a watch is only as good as it’s last service and any worn parts are replaced regardless of amount of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    From the photo of the back of the watch doesn't look like SELs, surely?

Lovely watch, by the way. They look so small and delicate compared to today's ceramic bruisers! Every Rolex collection should have one.
    +1

I've owned both a 14060 and a late version 14060M...neither had SELs

I have a 2002 16610 bought from an AD new. I occasionally wear in but not in recent times .So no need for a service if you know the history
    I may be wrong though time will tell lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app

Leave it until it stops keeping good time, then get it serviced. Rolex servicing is a flat rate.

Craftsman
    Now you mention it folks I don't think it has SELs

It's really a question of if it's causing more harm than good. Therefore a service in the future could cost more in parts

a service in the future could cost more in parts
    No - Rolex servicing is a flat rate, so the cost is the same regardless of how many replacement parts are needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5vcN58mox4&t=1s

Craftsman
    Thanks for that. Clears that up

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Leave it until it stops keeping good time, then get it serviced. Rolex servicing is a flat rate.
    I very much dislike this. I have 1912 pocketwatches in perfect working order with all original parts - and a shitload of scratched in service dates - because they were serviced in time and didn't break down.

It really sounds weird to neglect proper care because there is a flat rate policy. Like I wouldn't service my Porsche, ever, because they'll just replace every moving part of the engine at service at a flat rate...

Guess I'm just old fashioned.

Journeyman
    I Do kinda miss it .....but I know it went to a good home
    If it helps the watch probably had a years wear in 20 ?
    Interested to see what you decide to do a Chris
    Hope your well mate

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Paul, I respect your opinion on movement serving but I favour the ‘don’t fix until it’s broken’. Would you say a 20 year old watch that’s been serviced 4 times would be mechanically better or more reliable than a watch that has just had one recent service in the same period?

I’m thinking that a watch is only as good as it’s last service and any worn parts are replaced regardless of amount of wear.
    100% wrong I’m afraid. All moving parts wear to some degree despite what some folks would like to believe. You can’t correct 20 years of wear with a ‘ service’, it doesn’t work that way.

Lets be honest, folks argue against having watches serviced because they don’t want to spend the money, the benefits aren’t sufficiently tangible. That’s fine, each to his own, but surely part of the pleasure in owning a high quality watch is knowing that it’s in optimum condition, that can only be achieved by having the thing maintained correctly before it stops like a horse collapsing in the shackles.

Most of the stuff I work on is old and relatively inexpensive, I see watches that have been worked to death over many years. Usually they can be made to work to a reasonable standard but without a boatload of parts, which often aren’t available , they won’t run like they did when new.

The ‘if it ain’t broke’ philosophy has a comfortable appeal, we live in a world where few people have items routinely maintained and it’s almost a default position to adopt, but it’s flawed where watches are concerned.

I’ve done this topic to death in the past, frankly I don’t care what anyone chooses to do with their watches, but I will always challenge the ‘ if it ain’t broke’ nonsense. Like snowballs rolling down hill, these things gather their own momentum in the age of the internet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post
    I Do kinda miss it .....but I know it went to a good home
    If it helps the watch probably had a years wear in 20 ?
    Interested to see what you decide to do a Chris
    Hope your well mate
    Thanks Chris. All good thanks, hope you're enjoying that SD43 equally!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

17 years I wore my submariner before it needed a service due to a broken spring, if that hadn’t happened it still wouldn’t have been serviced, I’m like you if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.

I would go for just a movement service by an independent if I was wanting to save money but at least you don’t have to worry about service dial/hands being replaced.
    My 14060 is keeping less than 1.0spd, it had a RSC service by the previous owner back in 2008 and luckily kept all its Tritium, even so I have been thinking of just a movement service by an independent, if I sent to RSC I fear they would replace the dial/hands/bezel as they do not glow anymore even if I asked for them to stay with the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    If the timekeeping goes off I'd get it serviced at Rolex