closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Tudor and it doesn't run well

Craftsman

First Tudor and it doesn't run well

I bought my first Tudor (Black Bay S&G) with the MT5612 movement last month on holiday , sadly whilst I love the watch its losing 4 seconds per day, I know this is just within the COSC standards but its certainly taken the shine off the watch for me. I have been resting it dial up at night to achieve this.

Problem is whilst I bought it in Fraser Hart in Edinburgh my local Fraser Hart (Newbury) is not a Tudor AD, the nearest Fraser Hart that deals with Tudor is Bristol 60 miles away

Its doubly annoying as its a daily beater meant to replace my Hamilton Khaki Air Race which runs at +0.35 seconds per day!

What should my next steps be ?

Last edited by Liner33; 24th August 2019 at 09:17.

Is there any practical reason -4 a day will cause you a problem? Have you tried different resting positions already?

Personally I’d just let it be. As you pointed out, it’s within COSC spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are annoyed at a watch running within spec? Ring Fraser Hart, if they agree it’s a problem, let them sort out the details of where and how to get it back to them.

4 seconds a day is nothing, the watch is in spec. I would be happy with that.
    Resting the watch overnight in various positions can cause the watch to run fast or slow
    Why not try this? The watch will loose whilst worn but gain overnight.

Any mechanical object can have a ‘bedding in period’ performance may improve with wear.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th August 2019 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    You are annoyed at a watch running within spec? Ring Fraser Hart, if they agree it’s a problem, let them sort out the details of where and how to get it back to them.
    Ringing the AD will be fruitless. There is no problem with the watch. All it will do is make you sound like an OCD case.

The only option you have is to get it regulated, out of warranty. And I’d not touch that option with a barge pole.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Ringing the AD will be fruitless. There is no problem with the watch. All it will do is make you sound like an OCD case.
    L
    Hence the suggestion to ring rather than make the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Hence the suggestion to ring rather than make the trip.
    Regardless, the outcome will be the same

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s in spec. so I’m not sure they would do anything. Sounds like you need a quartz.

I thought there was a problem with this watch after reading the title?

If it’s running within spec I’d personally have no complaints.

I can however see why the OP is a little disappointed having replaced a Hamilton that was running slightly better.

I have a Black Bay and it seems to be at -1 / day.

Like others have said, the watch may get better as it’s run in.

Craftsman
    Sadly might just have to move it on then , if it was gaining 5 seconds per day it wouldn't bother me as much, somehow losing 4 seconds a day is worse as I said in the first post its only 4 seconds if I rest the watch dial up when I'm not wearing it

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Sadly might just have to move it on then , if it was gaining 5 seconds per day it wouldn't bother me as much, somehow losing 4 seconds a day is worse as I said in the first post its only 4 seconds if I rest the watch dial up when I'm not wearing it
    I’d recommend a Grand Seiko Quartz as a replacement.

Try resting it crown up overnight
    This works with my U1
    It runs about 5 slow during the day and it then corrects itself overnight if left crown up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It’s in spec. so I’m not sure they would do anything. Sounds like you need a quartz.
    I have quartz as well as other luxury brands

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    I’d recommend a Grand Seiko Quartz as a replacement.

Have one as well as around 40 other watches

Grand Master
    Out by seconds only in a day and your seriously thinking about letting it go!.Can I ask,do you have other watches?,and if so can you perhaps let us all know what they are and how many secs they are +/- by please.

Im curious just how good your others are if the Tudor is so bad!.

Master
    -4 is absolutely fine. Granted many MTxxxx movements seem to run a little better but it’s still good. My Speedy runs a consistent -5 and it doesn’t bother me at all.

Set it 30 secs fast and reset at 30 secs slow, every 15 days.

Master

The only option you have is to get it regulated, out of warranty. And I’d not touch that option with a barge pole.

Can I ask why? Regulating a watch is pretty straightforward, I have even done it with my limited knowledge. I managed to get mine from - 2 mins a day to +5 secs with no special tools or time graph - all be it with a cheaper watch. For something more expensive I'd just get a decent professional to do it.

I opened this thread thinking there was an actual problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Can I ask why?
    Presumably because it would void the warranty, unless it goes back to Tudor themselves.

Can I ask why? Regulating a watch is pretty straightforward, I have even done it with my limited knowledge. I managed to get mine from - 2 mins a day to +5 secs with no special tools or time graph - all be it with a cheaper watch. For something more expensive I'd just get a decent professional to do it.
    You’ve presented 2 options here. The first, very few people would be prepared to do with an expensive watch. The second just reiterates what I said.

All of my mechanicals gain or lose to some degree. When each has it's turn in rotation and is to be worn for two or three weeks I set it either a minute slow or fast and let it drift towards a brief perfection. I've never missed a train yet.
    F.T.F.A.

Just a thought that occurred. What does it lose worn on the wrist for a 24 hour period? If it is out of spec, you have a case for regulation under warranty.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Look on the bright side, your wife will probably be very happy you are 4s slow rather than 4s fast

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If it is stable at a steady 4 seconds a day then the movement is working perfectly, then it just needs regulation which could be achieved in literally minutes.

Have one as well as around 40 other watches

Oh come on, if you have 40-odd watches then:
    a) you know the score, you know -4 isn't that bad.
    b) you're probably rotating your watches regularly enough for this to be a complete non-issue.

Set it 30 seconds fast, after 10 days you'll be only 10 seconds off, can't you live with that??

If you are genuinely serious that 0.005% accuracy has “taken the shine” off your mechanical watch purchase, I think you need to stick to either quartz or better still an Apple Watch...something that relies on a spring and little metal cogs to tell the time just isn’t for you.

I don’t think I’ve ever even bothered about 24hr accuracy on any mechanical watch I’ve ever bought and would only notice if it gains or loses half a minute a day.

Granted, I would prefer +4s rather than -4s but to say it “isn’t working well” is a bit OTT.
    Last edited by Christian; 24th August 2019 at 11:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Presumably because it would void the warranty, unless it goes back to Tudor themselves.
    Ah, good point.

I’ve got a Citizen auto diver that keeps better time than my Datejust (which is within spec).
    Just goes to show what a waste of time (pardon the pun) it is spending so much on premium watches!

Master
    You’ve presented 2 options here. The first, very few people would be prepared to do with an expensive watch. The second just reiterates what I said.

Master

Would Tudor not do it I take it as it is within specs?

Find a good watchmaker local to you and ask him to regulate it.

Master
    While I understand the responses about it being within spec it would irritate me as well. I am sure it can be sent off to be regulated. My 3 Tudor’s with the in-house movements (Pelagos, 58 and GMT) have all been under 1.8 SPD fast/slow.

Craftsman
    Just a thought that occurred. What does it lose worn on the wrist for a 24 hour period? If it is out of spec, you have a case for regulation under warranty.

It loses around 5 seconds give or take, if I rest it dial up it loses less and this offsets the loss during the day, I reckon if/when I put it on a timegrapher I suspect it will be well out of spec in some positions but within cosc in others and as I understand it its an average across positions, it might just be in spec, it might not

I am well aware that mechanical watches aren't accurate, no watch is and I don't need it to be and in fact I don't have a problem with a couple of seconds fast per day.

I bought the Tudor as it was COSC and had a generous power reserve allowing me to take it off Friday and put it back on Monday and not have to reset it. I tend to wear one watch Mon-Fri and then wear something else over the weekend, as I said I have a lot of watches, far too many like most of us on here

I'm not obsessive about accuracy but most of my other auto's I don't wear Mon-Fri so have to wind and set before I wear them as I dont keep them in my winder

How does it compare to other watches I have? It compares ok with other watches I own that were sub £1k and not COSC but perhaps I expected too much but according to the internet the in-house Tudor movements are typically much more accurate than this

Master
    I dont think i would have noticed it was losing 4 secs per day never mind worry about it.

Would Tudor not do it I take it as it is within specs?
    Not too sure what your question is here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’ve got a Citizen auto diver that keeps better time than my Datejust (which is within spec).
    Just goes to show what a waste of time (pardon the pun) it is spending so much on premium watches!
    Yep as I said my previous beater is a Hamilton with the H80, bought as it offers such a long power reserve (Most of my watches are 40-46 hrs) and allows me to wear Mon-Fri and then put away all weekend even a bank holiday and then put back on without needing wind and adjust is and as said it gains around 1/3 second a day

Craftsman
    UPDATE:

Phoned my local Fraser Hart and they will sort it , just need to drop it off , I guess they will send it to Tudor who will do as they see fit, lets hope they arent too swamped with all those GMT repairs ;)

My experience with the MT movement in my North Flag is that it does run slightly slow. But still far more accurate than many mechanical watches that I have.

I recently took the NF, as one of two watches, on holiday for a month. I decided to check the accuracy of each watch on a weekly basis. Both were kept running and each was worn at some point during the day or night.

The figures for each week (not cumulative) were:

Wk1 -19
    WK2 -19
    Wk3 -15
    WK4 -9

It was worn far more during week 4. This fits the pattern that I had experienced before with the NF - the more powered up it was, the greater the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Disagree with this. We shouldn’t just be buying expensive mechanicals for them to be accurate to within 1-2 seconds a day. There is so much more, such as stability. longevity, quality of construction and aesthetics.

As M4tt once so well explained over on WUS, stability is far more important than accuracy.

Imagine going to the pub to meet your mates and being 4 seconds late.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 24th August 2019 at 14:51.

I bought the Tudor as it was COSC and had a generous power reserve allowing me to take it off Friday and put it back on Monday and not have to reset it. I tend to wear one watch Mon-Fri and then wear something else over the weekend.
    COSC certified watches are usually tested 1 hour after they've been fully wound on a cyclomat. The delta (the maximum difference between the five positions it's tested in) can be as high as 15 seconds. As long as the overall average is between -4 and +6 seconds the watch will pass that part of COSC testing. So if you're not wearing the watch for 48 hours the power in the mainspring will be reduced and naturally the delta might be higher than 15 seconds.

As there's 86,400 seconds in a day I personally don't think being out by 4 seconds is bad, given your wearing habits, it's still 99.9996% accurate according to my man maths.

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman
    The Tudor in-house movements have free sprung balances.........good look regulating that yourself....lol.

Two options- go four seconds early for all your meetings or move it on.
    Wear your Hamilton or any of your other 40 watches

Master
    Not too sure what your question is here.

Sorry, do you know if Tudor would regulate it under warranty if it is within COSC perameters anyway?

Master
    I would give it another few months to bed in.

It's going to be seriously irritating to get it accurate now, only for it to settle +/- in a few month's time.

Overall though I would just chill, I've given up worrying about to the second accuracy, 'mean time' is out from 'solar time' 361 days of the year anyway. There are bigger forces in play in this solar system than man made time LOL ;)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear View Post
    The Tudor in-house movements have free sprung balances.........good look regulating that yourself....lol.
    Lol

Craftsman

Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I would give it another few months to bed in.

It's going to be seriously irritating to get it accurate now, only for it to settle +/- in a few month's time.

Overall though I would just chill, I've given up worrying about to the second accuracy, 'mean time' is out from 'solar time' 361 days of the year anyway. There are bigger forces in play in this solar system than man made time LOL ;)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Agree, just chill with it.

Losing 4 seconds on your Tudor is far better than losing 4 seconds of your life listening to Ed Sheeran.

Sorry, do you know if Tudor would regulate it under warranty if it is within COSC perameters anyway?
    I doubt it.

I think they would. Rolex were happy to regulate one of mine from -2 to +2.

Master
    My experience with mechanical watches has sometimes been that they speed up a bit after a few weeks' wear. I must agree it's convenient when a mechanical watch is accurate to within a second or two a day if you intend to wear it for a week or two, but it's not to be expected.