https://postimg.cc/gallery/mpg85p9w/

Master
    Very subtle and understated!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You had one on order, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    You had one on order, right?
    Yeah. Coming in the next few weeks I’ve been told. I went for red.

I like it

Do you still get a free chest wig and gold medallion like the old models? :D

Isn't it a Z4 in disguise?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post

Share a lot of the same I think. Same interior. Which isn’t a bad thing imo

Master
    There were a number at Goodwood FOS earlier this year, from std to full blown track cars. I have to say they all looked smart, all the best for yours in a few weeks time, remember photos or it didn’t happen 👍

Craftsman

To anyone buying the Supra, does this make it more or less desirable?

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Probably less. But the supra would never of been made with out Bmw sharing

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Very subtle and understated!
    In what way is that back end subtle let alone understated???

Master
    Definitely less.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    In what way is that back end subtle let alone understated???
    I was being a teeny weeny bit sarcastic!

Having said that, some of the boy racers round my way probably would think it would benefit from a whale tail spoiler, even bigger flared wheel arches and a two HUGE baked bean tin noisy exhaust extensionz!

I tried one for size at the Geneva show and it felt far too cramped on the inside (I'm a whisker over 6'2"). I also find the styling very challenging. Even if it was £20k less than the Alpine I'd still prefer the latter (and the Alpine is almost 500kg lighter!). Ho hum, it fills a niche and I suspect a lot of people will be very happy with them.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Saw this at my local Toyota garage yesterday. Very nice
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/mpg85p9w/
    I grew up in the era of the first and second generation Supras. They were literally supercar killers of the time. It is about time it was relaunched. The shared BMW power plant is an absolutely corker.

I for one love the thing and would get the Supra over the boring Z4 in a heartbeat. This from a self confessed life long Bmw fanboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    I grew up in the era of the first and second generation Supras. They were literally supercar killers of the time. It is about time it was relaunched. The shared BMW power plant is an absolutely corker.

I for one love the thing and would get the Supra over the boring Z4 in a heartbeat. This from a self confessed life long Bmw fanboy.

It’s not just the engine that’s shared, it’s almost everything. Chassis, drivetrain, interior. The lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It’s not just the engine that’s shared, it’s almost everything. Chassis, drivetrain, interior. The lot.
    I also remember the original Supra with great fondness. I had the chance to buy one a few years ago and passed on it (big mistake). Does anyone know why so much of this relaunched version is basically a BMW? Surely Toyota could have done it themselves? Does it just come down to money?

Having said that, some of the boy racers round my way probably would think it would benefit from a whale tail spoiler, even bigger flared wheel arches and a two HUGE baked bean tin noisy exhaust extensionz!
    Haha.

My bad. 😄

I remember my old Supra was a real beastie with 420bhp but was heavy car

and yes I do think it would look far better with a spoiler and a real gearbox :)

Some interesting comments on here. I work for Toyota so I am paid to be biased. All our initial allocation has been sold anyway.

One of my lads (who is our Supra tech), recently went to the factory and I asked him to get some photos. I do like the yellow!

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks Dad

Great pics. Cheers.
    There’s allready one on autotrader at £5k over list.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Great pics. Cheers.
    There’s allready one on autotrader at £5k over list.
    How long will it be before Toyota start retaining the warranty card?

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    How long will it be before Toyota start retaining the warranty card?

Haha. Shit yeah. Betta get mine sold quickly.

Journeyman

New supra

I had a meeting at Toyota earlier this year the day the first one in the country came in.

Chassis number 4 I think they said it was. LHD and top top top of the range. Lovely thing. It was funny, the new Lexus came in the same day and while loads of people were making a fuss of the Supra, not a single soul was interested in the Lexus.

There is no question I’d prefer the new Z4 if given the choice though.

Last edited by Ellgal; 24th August 2019 at 10:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Ahh but the Toyota has indicators ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    I had a meeting at Toyota earlier this year the day the first one in the country came in.

Chassis number 4 I think they said it was. LHD and top top top of the range. Lovely thing. It was funny, the new Lexus came in the same day and while loads of people were making a fuss of the Supra, not a single soul was interested in the Lexus.

There is no question I’d prefer the new Z4 if given the choice though.

Was it the new Lexus UX?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I remember my old Supra was a real beastie with 420bhp but was heavy car

and yes I do think it would look far better with a spoiler and a real gearbox :)

That does look better with the spoiler, not feasible I guess though with the narrow boot lid?

The added spoiler lifts the eye away from the droopy rear end, my only aesthetic complaint being the front and rear looking like they’ve kind of melted & sagged a bit near a fire.

Blog Entries
    Love child from a chance meeting with a Skyline and a Marcos.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Thanks Dad

You’ll know what I mean one day!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think it is downright embarassing for such a large manufacturer as Toyota to market a non-third version of their emblematic Supra.

It is a sad sign of the times though; see Fiat with an ´Abarth´ MX5 to name but two in this line.

It is not that they are not good cars, the are very good cars; just not a Supra/Abarth but spruced up Z4/MX5.

Journeyman
    Was it the new Lexus UX?
    It was, very average looking in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I think it is downright embarassing for such a large manufacturer as Toyota to market a non-third version of their emblematic Supra.

It is a sad sign of the times though; see Fiat with an ´Abarth´ MX5 to name but two in this line.

It is not that they are not good cars, the are very good cars; just not a Supra/Abarth but spruced up Z4/MX5.
    Well while I can see your point about the supra I think your thoughts on the heritage of abarth are entirely incorrect - the firm made its name with cars built from other manufacturers platforms from Maserati to simca and from Porsche(ah) to fiat of course. Basing on an MX-5 is pretty much a continuation of abarths concept of the last 60 years

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I really want to like the Supra (well, I do), but it does seem to be £5-10k over-priced considering what it's based on IMO. And, I'm a big BMW fan. I'm pretty sure I'd take an M2 over the other two if it came to it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    Well while I can see your point about the supra I think your thoughts on the heritage of abarth are entirely incorrect - the firm made its name with cars built from other manufacturers platforms from Maserati to simca and from Porsche(ah) to fiat of course. Basing on an MX-5 is pretty much a continuation of abarths concept of the last 60 years
    You are correct to a point. Still think it embarassing for the Fiat concern! to have their Abarth sports moniker on an MX5 however good the MX5 undeniably is.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 26th August 2019 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Still think it embarassing for the Fiat concern! to have their Abarth sports moniker on an MX5 however good the MX5 undeniably is.
    I have to disagree, knowing a bit about Abarth's history I believe this is exactly what the firm exists to do - make something special out of what is an unexeceptional car, precisely what is being done right now with the MX-5 chassis.

Also very much look forward to hearing Lenlec's thoughts on his new car, I am sure it will be a most enjoyable drive even if it a bit different than previous Supras!

Love it, it has the m240i engine with some extra add ons and the tuning guys are already getting massive gains with a map. It is meant to sound amazing

Master
    To me the original 90's Japanese rockets (supra, 300zx, GTO, etc.) were legends as they challenged established supercars in speed, acceleration and technology for a fraction of the price. While my heart always belonged to the Mitsubishi GTO the Supra was always the weapon of choice for those out to truly embarrass the supercar fraternity due, not only to it's looks but because the engine could be tuned to ridiculous levels with a minimum of fuss.
    At 350 odd bhp the new Supra has the power of a high-mid level hot hatch and although it's probably a bit early to tell I doubt it'll be as tuneable as the original supra, this for me, tarnishes the luster of the supra name, it is no longer the rebel alternative to a supercar and for me that means it's not a 'real' supra. Also to my eyes the looks are 'challenging', but that's wholly subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

I really like it. They seem to have kept the styling to the spirit of the original. Its not a ridiculous re-hash of a previously discontinued car (looking at your 1 and 6 series, BMW).

Reminds me quite a bit of a Corvette Z06 actually, and that's not the worst thing to be compared to for looks.

Craftsman
    So how many on here actually spent their money on one of these?
    I am looking for something new and BMW, ideally an M2 comp. down side to that car it has the S55 engine that is derived from a 2012 M135i, and a 6 speed DSG box. The S55 is thirsty and agricultural next to the B58. I dislike DSG boxes for their harsh mechanical shifting when your on it, I know that is because they shift so fast but I can spare 0.1 seconds normally 🙄

So on to the supra. I love the looks, it’s got the perfect engine and gearbox for my needs. It’s 1390kg wet. The idrive is great. Seats are comfortable. I get that Mk4 supra fans will be disappointed that it is so largely BMW but that means nothing to me it’s just a car. I was a huge Toyota fan back in the day owning and racing them for over a decade, I even took one to good wood FOS as a VIP for Toyota in 2009, but they deserve none of my loyalty, they show me none the same as all corporations. They just want your money.

Price wise I think it’s good. Remember if you buy a BMW Z4 you get nothing! What do you mean you want wheels sir? They are extra! And seats too?? Well those aren’t included in the standard spec. Where as the supra comes with everything in one package. You get HUD, keyless entry, adaptive cruise, mem seats, digital dash, leather, bla bla bla. By the time you add all of the Supra spec to the Z4 it would be £10k more.

You’ll never please everyone obviously. But if you have owned one what did you think of it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    So how many on here actually spent their money on one of these?
    I am looking for something new and BMW, ideally an M2 comp. down side to that car it has the S55 engine that is derived from a 2012 M135i, and a 6 speed DSG box. The S55 is thirsty and agricultural next to the B58. I dislike DSG boxes for their harsh mechanical shifting when your on it, I know that is because they shift so fast but I can spare 0.1 seconds normally 🙄

So on to the supra. I love the looks, it’s got the perfect engine and gearbox for my needs. It’s 1390kg wet. The idrive is great. Seats are comfortable. I get that Mk4 supra fans will be disappointed that it is so largely BMW but that means nothing to me it’s just a car. I was a huge Toyota fan back in the day owning and racing them for over a decade, I even took one to good wood FOS as a VIP for Toyota in 2009, but they deserve none of my loyalty, they show me none the same as all corporations. They just want your money.

Price wise I think it’s good. Remember if you buy a BMW Z4 you get nothing! What do you mean you want wheels sir? They are extra! And seats too?? Well those aren’t included in the standard spec. Where as the supra comes with everything in one package. You get HUD, keyless entry, adaptive cruise, mem seats, digital dash, leather, bla bla bla. By the time you add all of the Supra spec to the Z4 it would be £10k more.

You’ll never please everyone obviously. But if you have owned one what did you think of it?
    No idea on the car, but the origin of the S55 was from the 2009 5 series GT as the N55.

This is before M division changed pretty much everything, eg closed deck engine block & crankcase design to allow for higher pressures.

The B58 is a great engine, but it is run if the mill. The S55 is something special, but visually resembles the typical BMW engine DNA.

M engine for me everyday of the week & twice on a Sunday! Agricultural, my arse! MPG - who cares if you are in a sporty car.

Craftsman
    Personally I much prefer the N55 over the B58 , the latter feels more diesel like in delivery ie big fat torque curve and reluctance to rev out , the opposite is true of the n55 which encourages you to chase the red line but it is indeed thirstier and a weaker engine if tuning is important to you, the n55 also sounds much better.

I also dislike the DSG in the BMW's, i find it jerky at lower speeds and a little clunky, often hard shifts can unsettle the rear of the car

On paper the Supra is a great car imo the engine is a major strength as Toyota aren't known for building great engines without some help not since the JZ's, the ZF8 is a great gearbox, BMW tech is far better than anything Japanese and the car looks great

I am a big fan of Jap cars with a few Skylines, Evo's , 350's and 370's in my past and was really looking forward to trying the new Supra so booked a test drive

and I hated it :(

Yep that engine is dull , powerful yet dull , but the biggest issue for me by far was the roof line, it meant that for me at 6ft 1" i had the roof in my eyeline through the side window, made it feel claustrophobic and impaired my view, cant say I liked anything about the way it drove at all

Still think they look great though

Not what we're discussing, but the n55 in my old M2 was a great engine. Very under-rated as far as i'm concerned. I would seriously consider one over a comp, even just to get rid of the cows udder exhaust.

Craftsman
    I have had M135 and M140. I far prefer the B58. Provenience, history etc mean nothing to me I’m uninterested. Everyone like something f different in life and for me the smoother B58 hits the spot. It came alive after a remap I must admit and revs better. A couple of hardware changes and stage 2 deliver over 450bhp and it sounds superb to my ears. I don’t drive hard often but don’t drive like a grandma. After the map the M140 sips fuel. Wolverhampton to oxford every week always returns mid 40s mpg. Best was a steady 70 all the way on cruise and door to door I did 49.9. What’s not to like??
    Say what you like about Miles Per Gallon, Smiles Per Gallon bla bla bla. It’s a daily driver and I do a lot of miles. I don’t want to start putting an extra £40 a week in an M2 over the M140. Can I afford it? Easily. Can I justify it? Not close. So the supra ticks loads of boxes for me. I have not had a test drive yet but hope to get some tea world owner feedback if possible.

Craftsman
    Will be interested to see what you think after you drive one

Master

New supra

Ignore misread LD’s post
    Last edited by Mj2k; 21st January 2022 at 17:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    I have had M135 and M140. I far prefer the B58. Provenience, history etc mean nothing to me I’m uninterested. Everyone like something f different in life and for me the smoother B58 hits the spot. It came alive after a remap I must admit and revs better. A couple of hardware changes and stage 2 deliver over 450bhp and it sounds superb to my ears. I don’t drive hard often but don’t drive like a grandma. After the map the M140 sips fuel. Wolverhampton to oxford every week always returns mid 40s mpg. Best was a steady 70 all the way on cruise and door to door I did 49.9. What’s not to like??
    Say what you like about Miles Per Gallon, Smiles Per Gallon bla bla bla. It’s a daily driver and I do a lot of miles. I don’t want to start putting an extra £40 a week in an M2 over the M140. Can I afford it? Easily. Can I justify it? Not close. So the supra ticks loads of boxes for me. I have not had a test drive yet but hope to get some tea world owner feedback if possible.
    S55 is not N55, so you are talking N55 vs B58. ‘Couple of changes’ is not 450bhp stage 2 so you’re not comparing any like for likes.

If something needs to be justified, you’re making sacrifices elsewhere to make the costs ‘worth it’

If you’re into modding cars, go for it but asking for how people find the engine holds little relevance as curves / flat spots become an irrelevance.

B58 is a petrol engine that drives like a lazy diesel. If that floats your boat then go for it.

Supra wise, I cannot get past the bmw interior on a Japanese car, so it ruins it for me no matter how much I think the exterior is stunning.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    S55 is not N55, so you are talking N55 vs B58. ‘Couple of changes’ is not 450bhp stage 2 so you’re not comparing any like for likes.

If something needs to be justified, you’re making sacrifices elsewhere to make the costs ‘worth it’

If you’re into modding cars, go for it but asking for how people find the engine holds little relevance as curves / flat spots become an irrelevance.

B58 is a petrol engine that drives like a lazy diesel. If that floats your boat then go for it.

Supra wise, I cannot get past the bmw interior on a Japanese car, so it ruins it for me no matter how much I think the exterior is stunning.

At least someone shares my thoughts on the b58 (S58 is where its at ;))

Don't agree on the interior though , as Jap interiors are largely pretty shocking , the GT86 is awful the GTR is woeful, even the Civic is poor and all of them do lousy tech and thats what sells cars nowadays . BMW tech is one of the best