closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What makes a daily wearer - let’s see yours!

What makes a daily wearer - let’s see yours!

I came across a pretty good article on Quill & Pad about rationalising what makes a daily wearer and thought worth starting a thread here to get others thoughts. First up the article -
    https://quillandpad.com/2019/08/22/w...er-wristwatch/

It's something I've given some thought to recently as an unworn watch re-entered my rotation. The watch in question is this IWC ingenieur.

Was meant to be traded, the chap went MIA and been on the wrist now for the best part of 3 weeks. It fits my daily bill perfectly - comfortable in Ti, I need something a bit sporty for my normal attire, but still works well in a variety of situations and it's an interesting to have a casual glance at - the chrono, raised numerals and case work.

However sometimes you just want to wear a good old diver, and these two recently added Seikos have dominated that slot. Plus a Precista if I want to wear a bracelet. Interestingly, my Dreadnaught Voyager which was worn a lot last year hasn't had much wear. -

You do need some slightly less aggressive watches in the daily rotation. My two Ming watches fit the bill. Both great watches to wear and slim profile, while of course keeping me entertained for when I need a distraction.

Lastly one needs a G or 3 are needed. The frogman is worth highlighting

Whats interesting is I am not reaching for my other 'expensive' watches. My Panerai 190, Daytona and GO are very much now occasional watches. The odd one out is the 111, maybe it needs to come into the rotation.

Anyway, lets hear your thoughts on what makes a daily watch and your current daily wearer!

Master
    Sub 14060when Im feeling relaxed , Sub 16610 when I need a date.

Suunto Vector , bought of here when I want to know altitude temperature and direction, BUT dont ask me to change the time , its a black art.

Lastly my wedding present Omega , just back from Simon Freese who took an age to source and fit the crystal, top man and great service.

Then when working this Roger Taylor NOS cased watch. 1960’s manufacture, bought new in 2010 ish £20. No name quartz movement , probably accurate to +- 10 secs a month.

Last edited by higham5; 23rd August 2019 at 17:31.

My mini turtle is getting the majority of my wrist time at the moment.

It seems divers are the go to daily watches for most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It’s been my daily wearer for 2 months

IMG_4735.JPG

But then I don’t wear long sleeve shirt as I life in the tropics

Master
    It's whatever I'm wearing that day. My criteria for a watch tends to be that it can suit all occasions. Up, down or sideways. That used to be accomdated by whatever Rolex Oyster I was wearing, and these days it's whatever Panerai Luminor I'm wearing.

For the last three weeks it's been my 233.

Master
    I bought this Casio about 7 years ago as my daily,a job it had fulfilled with aplomb,i just cant break it.The far reaches of the grenedines, the bottom of the ocean and god knows where in my daily job as a builder/housebuilder. Last year argos did an offer on a casio world timer at £17 so i scooped one thinking i would have a watch in stock should the time come.

Rugged is my daily requirement

Having only one watch helps! I've found the Explorer to be a great daily wearer. It's been on my wrist for almost three years, and while it's picked up its fair share of knocks and dings, it still looks great and there's been no situation where I haven't felt able to wear it if I wanted. Keeping good time too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Nice Seiko. What’s the strap?

Master
    Main daily wearer is a SS DJ41 with rhodium dial and smooth bezel on Oyster, probably 90% as it meets my criteria for reliability & looks - I get a buzz from just looking at it.
    Backups are 1) a Moonwatch on the standard bracelet - reliable, good looking & I love to listen to it tick & 2) 2254 Seamaster on the black NATO that came with the Moonwatch - again reliable and good looking.
    I love the DJ (one watch to rule them all, shame it doesn't confer invisibility), but some of the time I just fancy a change of look & the other 2 can deliver that. It never lasts more than a day or two, then the DJ reasserts itself...

Master
    Blog Entries
    For me a daily is comfortable, easy to wear size wise and something that I'm not overly worried about getting knocked about.

Speedy Pro for me.

Comfortable, accurate, versatile enough to wear smart or casual, absorbing and distracting to look at, has to be the GS Snowflake for me.

This month I have mostly been wearing a 1983 Rolex 16550 Exp2 Rail Dial. Makes a very nice change.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    My wearer is usually dictated by work. On my normal week on Rota I wear anything from my stable as it should be at minimal risk of damage. When filling in to cover shortages I tend to wear my BBbronze or my PAM 49, at much more risk of damage.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't really have a "daily" wearer as I rotate my watches all the time. This gets quite a lot of wrist time, especially when it's time to dress up.

Yeah it's a 45mm watch and not exactly dress size, but it looks very good with a black suit.

Journeyman
    I’ve been wearing this Seiko Kinetic Field model for most days. Just change the strap out.

Blog Entries
    There's no rhyme nor reason to it really. Bit like why I like collecting watches. Look in the safe, or the desk drawer and pick one. Thats my daily wearer until............Look in the safe, or the desk drawer and pick one.

Explorer 2 had a good run recently, but gave way yesterday to Seamaster 1120. Who knows what tomorrow brings...................

Last edited by oldoakknives; 23rd August 2019 at 23:30.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

What makes a daily wearer - let’s see yours!

Apeks 200m Diver on an engineer strapcode.

Last edited by Redwolf; 23rd August 2019 at 23:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Nice Seiko. What’s the strap?
    It’s a Scurfa rubber that I picked up a few weeks ago. It’s managed to displace the original Seiko silicone rubber, which was no mean feat.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Comfortable, accurate, versatile enough to wear smart or casual, absorbing and distracting to look at, has to be the GS Snowflake for me.
    I think this is a pretty good candidate - Ti and a looker with an interesting dial. Not sure I could do a white dial as a daily, but very good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    There's no rhyme nor reason to it really. Bit like why I like collecting watches. Look in the safe, or the desk drawer and pick one. Thats my daily wearer until............Look in the safe, or the desk drawer and pick one.

Explorer 2 had a good run recently, but gave way yesterday to Seamaster 1120. Who knows what tomorrow brings...................

Another good candidate - but I think this works better on a NATO, the bracelets, especially the clasps I never really liked!

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    My wearer is usually dictated by work. On my normal week on Rota I wear anything from my stable as it should be at minimal risk of damage. When filling in to cover shortages I tend to wear my BBbronze or my PAM 49, at much more risk of damage.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    What I've noticed is I do not rotate through all my watches - there are very much a few set watches i wear. When I used to do more exciting work, a G shock and the Dreadnaught Voyager were perfect wearers. Now in a more sedate atmosphere, I guess something more refined!

But it's good to see not all divers, divers see to be an obvious candidate but I've never been a big fan of rotating bezels on watches, so prefer more of a 'sporty' watch. The Explorer is also near perfect, shame it has that dastardly 'mercedes' hour hand which I cannot get along with ;)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Who knows what tomorrow brings...................

Hopefully some attention to that wonky bezel insert...

My dailys are significantly fancier than the stuff i just have as horological curious.

I have the unsual outlook where the more I spend the more I want to get my monies worth, since I see no value in owning something I don’t wear.
    When you take the £ per wear ratio of one of my Metal G’s, they’re significantly more expensive than anything that I own.

Think my trusty 16600 is the cheapest at around £1 per wear.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    My dailys are significantly fancier than the stuff i just have as horological curious.

I have the unsual outlook where the more I spend the more I want to get my monies worth, since I see no value in owning something I don’t wear.
    When you take the £ per wear ratio of one of my Metal G’s, they’re significantly more expensive than anything that I own.

Think my trusty 16600 is the cheapest at around £1 per wear.
    Haha, I love your philosophy mate! It actually makes sense too - if you buy something expensive and cool, surely you want to wear it as much as possible?

I think what stops me in some situations is circumstance. But I've seen how you dress down some of your 'fancy' pieces, so even there there is no real excuse!

Master
    To me, a daily wearer is just that....a watch you wear every day. Which is what I’m doing with this watch. Haven’t worn anything else for a while now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think a daily wearer needs to have enough emotional attraction to make you wear it. These two appeal more to me than the Rolex and Omega watches I have, and dominate my wrist time

Breitling Aerospace Evo NM

It looks amazing, incredibly accurate, low height profile and subtle visual profile makes it easy to wear. Useful functions, great travel watch. Logically it’s a bit silly, but I love it.

B&R Geneva

Not a well known watch from a quite divisive brand. Looks amazing, really quite refined, versatile.

Dave

Craftsman
    Its usually a Seiko diver of some description...this one does seem to get the lions share of wear though.

Alternating daily between these two for the last 9 months.

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think a daily wearer needs to have enough emotional attraction to make you wear it. These two appeal more to me than the Rolex and Omega watches I have, and dominate my wrist time

Pretty bang on point this comment!