closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should I shouldn’t I?

Blog Entries

Should I shouldn’t I?

Ok. I know it’s been a while since posting. But wondered past Wempe today and spotted this. I have it on reserve for about an hour. Should I bite?

I have a 35mm airking date that is quite similar to this modern 36mm

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd August 2019 at 14:42.

Yes you should.

It's a no from me, simply down to the fact your Airking below looks similar but so much nicer IMO.

Master
    Nope. Too similar.

Journeyman
    YESSSSSSSSSS

Prefer the Air King Martyn

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I say no, I prefer the Airking and you get to save the money for another watch..

Too similar, and I prefer the Air King

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. If anyone wants it, it is available in Wempe New Bond St.

Isn't that essentially the same watch with some different text on the dial?

Master
    The ‘desirable’ DateJust is the 41mm. That’s the one buyers want. Especially with that blue dial and the rhodium one. Handsome watches. The 36mm is nice, but just a little small for many buyers these days.

Master
    no, airking/ OP much better unless you want the fluted bezel/ jubilee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Isn't that essentially the same watch with some different text on the dial?
    You are joking?

Master
    The Airking is much nicer. I say buy something different.

Just stay with the Air King.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thanks guys. If anyone wants it, it is available in Wempe New Bond St.

Good choice Martyn. Whilst that is a nice DJ, it is just too similar to what you already have.
    Last edited by Benji053; 23rd August 2019 at 18:28.

Master
    I bet you feel really good now having resisted the urge especially when there's an imposed time limit.
    Good choice lovely Airking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I bet you feel really good now having resisted the urge especially when there's an imposed time limit.
    Good choice lovely Airking
    I do. If I didn’t have the Air-King-Date I would have bought it though. Good price and I personally a perfect size for a DJ.

I also had a chance to try some others with fluted dials and jubilee bracelets further down New Bond St. But not for me (personal preference):

Just too many shiny surfaces. It may work better on the 41?

Anyway. Decision made.

Martyn.

Master
    That's a shame, the 36mm get's my vote Martyn I love the size of my 36mm DJ.....sold it on TZ then bought it straight back when it became available, thanks Rob.
    I won't make the same mistake again

You are joking?
    No. I am obviously not knowledgeable in the slightest with the rolex models. So apart from text, batons, 1mm size difference(?), slightly different bracelet and what appears to be a sun burst dial on the datejust are there any truly fundamental differences between the two? Not being funny, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Craftsman
    A bit late, but for what it's worth I agree with the majority vote. The Air King is both too similar and is nicer I think.

Should I shouldn’t I?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    It's a no from me, simply down to the fact your Airking below looks similar but so much nicer IMO.
    Agree with this. The Air King looks fantastic.

The ‘desirable’ DateJust is the 36mm. That’s the one buyers want. Especially with that blue dial and the black one. Handsome watches. The 41mm is nice, but just a little bloated for many buyers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    The ‘desirable’ DateJust is the 36mm. That’s the one buyers want. Especially with that blue dial and the black one. Handsome watches. The 41mm is nice, but just a little bloated for many buyers these days.
    The proportions aren't quite right on the 41

39 OP is a real sweet spot - personally also prefer the brushed oyster bracelet to any sort of polished oyster or bling jubilee (unless it's on the new Pepsi...)

No. I am obviously not knowledgeable in the slightest with the rolex models. So apart from text, batons, 1mm size difference(?), slightly different bracelet and what appears to be a sun burst dial on the datejust are there any truly fundamental differences between the two? Not being funny, I'm just trying to figure it out.
    To be fair Rolex for the most part do only have two watches which they churn out with tiny differences between models. Those two being the sub and the datejust. Apart from the Daytona nearly everything is just a variation of those two so I don't blame you for your comment at all.

Journeyman
    I’m not so sure it is. Every AD automatically assumes it’s the 41 I’m after, when I enquire about their Datejust stock. Having said that, I do believe there’s a shift back towards the 36. It’s a much better proportioned watch, albeit one I find fractionally too small.

Blog Entries
    No worries

One is a modern watch from 2019, the other is a vintage watch from 1978 (ref 5700)

My vintage watch is fine as vintage goes - but:

• The movement in the Air-King is somewhat inferior to the modern DJ which has the latest movement from Rolex - Cal. 3235 (see ref below for the description)
    • The Air-King has no quick-set date which is a characteristic of the DJ compared to the Air-King - so you have to hand wind the minute hand around to set the date.
    • The bracelet on the Air-King is the vintage style with non-solid end-links and rattly folded metal clasp. The modern DJ has the easy link clasp and solid end-link bracelet.
    • The Air-King had tritium dots plots with the lume now long gone, the DJ has the latest blue parachrome lume on batons.
    • The DJ is COSC certified and +_2sec/day - the Air-King is not COSC. Last time I wore the Air-King - it was gaining 15sec/day which is ok for a vintage.
    • The Air-King has Plexi-Glass crystal - the DJ is Sapphire
    • The Air-King has fully brushed bracelet - the DJ has polished centre links
    • The Air-King diameter could be 34mm (looks on the web) - The DJ diameter is 36mm

May be others

DJ - details page: https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6234-0015.html - can give a few more details.

The white with fluted is rather nice DJ - 36mm - i’ll never sell the Air-King-Date though!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th August 2019 at 00:21.

Craftsman
    Don’t like the smooth bezel. Fluted is the way to go

The 36mm is definitely the one to go for. I tried the 41mm on hoping that it would work but it's far too big even on my slightly above average 7.25 inch wrists.

OP I would do this, it's too similar to your air king but white dial with romans would be a great addition!

- - - Updated - - -

The 36mm is definitely the one to go for. I tried the 41mm on hoping that it would work but it's far too big even on my slightly above average 7.25 inch wrists.

OP I wouldn't do this, it's too similar to your air king but white dial with romans would be a great addition!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    To be fair Rolex for the most part do only have two watches which they churn out with tiny differences between models. Those two being the sub and the datejust. Apart from the Daytona nearly everything is just a variation of those two so I don't blame you for your comment at all.

No worries

One is a modern watch from 2019, the other is a vintage watch from 1978 (ref 5700)

My vintage watch is fine as vintage goes - but:

• The movement in the Air-King is somewhat inferior to the modern DJ which has the latest movement from Rolex - Cal. 3235 (see ref below for the description)
    • The Air-King has no quick-set date which is a characteristic of the DJ compared to the Air-King - so you have to hand wind the minute hand around to set the date.
    • The bracelet on the Air-King is the vintage style with non-solid end-links and rattly folded metal clasp. The modern DJ has the easy link clasp and solid end-link bracelet.
    • The Air-King had tritium dots plots with the lume now long gone, the DJ has the latest blue parachrome lume on batons.
    • The DJ is COSC certified and +_2sec/day - the Air-King is not COSC. Last time I wore the Air-King - it was gaining 15sec/day which is ok for a vintage.
    • The Air-King has Plexi-Glass crystal - the DJ is Sapphire
    • The Air-King has fully brushed bracelet - the DJ has polished centre links
    • The Air-King diameter could be 34mm (looks on the web) - The DJ diameter is 36mm

May be others

DJ - details page: https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6234-0015.html - can give a few more details.

The white with fluted is rather nice DJ - 36mm - i’ll never sell the Air-King-Date though!
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I must admit I was probably being a bit flippant as I was having a crap day and to be fair I can't really comment on watches looking the same as I've 2 speedies (a 71 step and one from 99) which lets face it hasn't really changed in over 30 years to the casual observer. I must admit I keep looking at the DJ but with smooth bezel and jubilee. Both are lovely watches though but I'd definitely not get a blue faced one

Master
    I agree. I don't normally like bling watches but think the revised 36 DJ with the Jubilee and flute are gorgeous, especially the blue or black dial. They are just the perfect side of tasteful IMO, the 41 is the steroidal meathead you see down the gym, again IMO.

To the OP, that Air King is almost the perfect watch, the thin, pointed hands are so much more preferable than the current blocky hands for me, so in deference to the original question, it's a 'No' from me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to say...that silver dial DJ looks great. Reminiscent of the most fabulous DateJust reference ever made (in my opinion)...the wonderful "Wide Boy" 1601. Only ever made in a classic 36mm, of course.

Leave the 35/36 alone 40/41 is the way ahead lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    DJ 41. A real blokes watch. Buy it

Journeyman
    Lovely Airking...

I’m loving that Air King! Modern Rolexes are crass in comparison to the older stuff...

I love the look of the 36mm DJ, but mine is left unworn as it's just too small for my wrist, and the DJII fits me perfectly - the DJ41 is probably a sweeter spot for most.
    It's just a matter of time...