closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car dealer unplugging dashcam

Car dealer unplugging dashcam

Has anyone had experience of a dashcams being unplugged/disconnected whilst their car has been in the garage?

I took my car for a recall/emissions update at the main dealer and when I collected it, noticed that the dashcam has been disconnected. Thankfully I noticed it before I drive away and onto the public roads.

Found it a bit strange, but it’s probably because they don’t want to be recorded whilst they are working.

Anyone work in that field and know the policy ?
    Last edited by Falcata; 23rd August 2019 at 14:21.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    Has anyone had experience of a dashcams being unplugged/disconnected whilst their car has been in the garage?

I took my car for a recall/emissions update at the main dealer and when I collected it, noticed that the dashcam has been disconnected.

Found it a bit strange.
    Presumably so you don't know where it's been whilst in for "work" doing.Many many years ago my Boss at Yorkshire Water bought a brand new Ford Cosworth,at some point not long after it went in for something doing,We and the boss never saw it again!,written off by one of the Ford employees.

I guess a perk of the job to use someone else car whilst (supposedly) in the workshop.What happens in the event of damage or excessive mileage on the clock at collection?.

Craftsman

I took my car for a recall/emissions update at the main dealer and when I collected it, noticed that the dashcam has been disconnected. Thankfully I noticed it before I drive away and onto the public roads.

Found it a bit strange, but it’s probably because they don’t want to be recorded whilst they are working.

Anyone work in that field and know the policy ?
    Apparently they do it to protect the privacy of the people working on and around your car. When they did it to mine I asked why they had switched off the manufacturer installed tracker as well, they couldn't come up with a smart reply so just said it was company policy. Just as well I have another installed so could see exactly what they did with my car.

Master
    Don't trust them at all, dealers that is. My dash cam caught them firstly washing my car in under 3 mins despite them claiming not to have & how the scratch couldn't be them. I then was able to prove they did neither the oil or brake fluid change unless they employed very short technicians as my car didn't go up on a ramp & there was no pit...I always leave another camera in the car now just in case they unplug the main one.

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Apparently they do it to protect the privacy of the people working on and around your car. When they did it to mine I asked why they had switched off the manufacturer installed tracker as well, they couldn't come up with a smart reply so just said it was company policy. Just as well I have another installed so could see exactly what they did with my car.
    Playing Devil's advocate, trackers don't have cameras inbuilt; however, dashcams do.

As for it being company policy, it may very well be. Given the recent switch to GDPR, many business owners/HR departments are on tenterhooks regarding what they can or cannot do regarding employee data (which includes video footage).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Just as well I have another installed so could see exactly what they did with my car.
    And what did they do?

Notice in the BMW garage we use locally.

Done for security and privacy of staff.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    My local garage always turn the dashcams off to protect themselves. Too many complaints I guess? Would you want to be filmed whilst you work?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My local garage always turn the dashcams off to protect themselves. Too many complaints I guess? Would you want to be filmed whilst you work?
    If I have not got anything to hide then It would not bother me the slightest.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’m in the motor trade (mainly training with the occasional 'live' customer car for the students to work on) and when I sent my Evoque in to a main dealer for its service (it came with two free services) I left my camera running. Nothing untoward happened. Watched them do a service, listened to a bit of chit chat when the tech took it for a road test with his apprentice. I had to laugh as when he looked in the centre console for the locking wheel nut he mistook my wife’s small pump bottle of Carex clear hand sanitiser (she works in a hospital and cleans her hands before driving home) for a bottle of Durex lubricant! He seemed disappointed when he realised his mistake. On the next service a year later, same dealership it was disconnected so I assume policy had changed. I didn’t mention it to them but the wife said she thought it was reasonable for them to disconnect it. Not long after that I took a car into my workshop that had a dash cam fitted. I didn’t like it one bit so I disconnected it. It just felt weird that someone was going to watch what I had been doing. Pot, kettle, black, I know! Even if I were okay with it I would have had to disconnect it anyway as I teach vulnerable and at-risk students and allowing them to be filmed by a stranger would be a big no no.
    Last edited by Motman; 23rd August 2019 at 15:48.

Its common GDPR policy thing

They disconnect mine at the Honda dealership. I make a note of the mileage before it goes in.

Didn't Eddie have some cam footage of his Merc being driven 'spiritedly' whilst in for a service a few years ago?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

This is even more simple.

Dealership/Workshop bills you per hour, then pays his technician a bonus for completing the job faster than the hour/s he charges you for.

Imagine having a bill for 4 hours Labor for a cam belt and service, but when you watch your dash cam you see it was some in 2 hours by an apprentice.....

Craftsman
    It is quite reasonable for them to disconnect I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Didn't Eddie have some cam footage of his Merc being driven 'spiritedly' whilst in for a service a few years ago?
    The mechanic got flashed by a speed camera and I got the ticket through the post. Easily sorted out, although not without initial denials.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

A lot of our customers come in with dashcams plugged in and we never unplug them. We reason we have nothing to hide and it's an opportunity for our customers to see that we do things correctly.
    We literally have nothing to hide and have no reason to hide behind some GDPR rubbish.

Master
    If you don’t like the way dealer acts, or trust them, go elsewhere. I had a customer mark some parts before service, the tech noticed this and asked what to do, mark the new ones and give me the old parts, after the customer picked his car up he returned a short time later, complaining that his marked parts had not been changed and we were cheats, crooks etc. I produced his marked parts from my desk, then informed he was no longer welcome at the dealer, it did mean he then quite a journey to next nearest dealer, who I had forewarned.
    Last car I saw in the workshop with a dash cam recorded a lot of happy singing and every tech waving as they passed the car, we did tell the customer the guys would be expecting royalties from any footage going public. We all laughed together about this, customer has the camera hardwired for an insurance discount and no, we weren’t prewarned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    If you don’t like the way dealer acts, or trust them, go elsewhere. I had a customer mark some parts before service, the tech noticed this and asked what to do, mark the new ones and give me the old parts, after the customer picked his car up he returned a short time later, complaining that his marked parts had not been changed and we were cheats, crooks etc. I produced his marked parts from my desk, then informed he was no longer welcome at the dealer, it did mean he then quite a journey to next nearest dealer, who I had forewarned.
    Last car I saw in the workshop with a dash cam recorded a lot of happy singing and every tech waving as they passed the car, we did tell the customer the guys would be expecting royalties from any footage going public. We all laughed together about this, customer has the camera hardwired for an insurance discount and no, we weren’t prewarned.
    So are you a main dealer?

Craftsman
    Motor trade myself. The disconnect of dash cams carries nothing sinister with it in my book,it’s unpleasant to be recorded by someone you have no personal connection with and have granted no permission to film you, even the lowly mechanic is entitled to basic privacy from someone he has never met while he spends his day at work. Having said that we always reconnect for road test and return to the customer. This is not quite an Orwellian society just yet and just because you have spent dollar on a nextbase it doesn’t take you to a superior judgemental level.
    Last edited by meridian; 23rd August 2019 at 19:29.

Master
    Pretty odd behaviour all round really, but I can see why a customer might want some assurance that parts he/she was paying for had been fitted.

Why didn’t you just fit the parts, smile and take payment for the work you’d done?

Not sure how the bonnet being open (obstructing the Dashcam) gives any satisfaction that work is being completed correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not sure how the bonnet being open (obstructing the Dashcam) gives any satisfaction that work is being completed correctly?
    If the dashcam is a UK sourced and full set it can actually follow the worker around

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    If the dashcam is a UK sourced and full set it can actually follow the worker around
    With the bonnet open in front of it?.

Master
    I had this once while my car was in the body shop having some minor impact damage repaired. Driving back from work in my other car, I spotted my car going across the traffic lights in front of me so I followed it, all the way back to the person’s home address. I called it in as TWOC and the chap turned out to be a disqualified driver.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    With the bonnet open in front of it?.
    I was kidding
    :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had a couple of Shandy's but did you put your own new parts on and keep his new marked parts? If so why did he need to go to another dealer?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I've had a couple of Shandy's but did you put your own new parts on and keep his new marked parts? If so why did he need to go to another dealer?
    I assumed he meant that the customer had marked the old parts that would be changed on the vehicle, noticing this the garage marked the new parts identically before fitting.

The customer checked and found his ‘old’ parts on the car so went to complain, giving the garage the opportunity to play their trump card of producing the old parts and telling the customer to find another garage.

Bizarre....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I assumed he meant that the customer had marked the old parts that would be changed on the vehicle, noticing this the garage marked the new parts identically before fitting.

The customer checked and found his ‘old’ parts on the car so went to complain, giving the garage the opportunity to play their trump card of producing the old parts and telling the customer to find another garage.

Bizarre....
    +1

Bizarre indeed!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    +1

Bizarre indeed!
    Yep, seems odd behaviour. Plenty of stories of unscrupulous garages taking money and not doing the work so what have you got to hide?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Bizarre....
    Must have been annoying when the punter showed the pollen still hadn’t been changed ;-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    A lot of our customers come in with dashcams plugged in and we never unplug them. We reason we have nothing to hide and it's an opportunity for our customers to see that we do things correctly.
    We literally have nothing to hide and have no reason to hide behind some GDPR rubbish.
    I don’t want to be a jerk or a knowall mate but it’s not rubbish. Unless you have specific consent from your employees to share their personal data, in this case facial image, with third parties (for the reasons of quality control or similar) you’re in breach of GDPR. You also need to have an agreement with the third party (your customer) on a mechanism of deletion at employee request.

Fines are massive (€10m for each case).

You’re massively at risk of being auctioned by a disgruntled employee. Get those dash cams unplugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    I don’t want to be a jerk or a knowall mate but it’s not rubbish. Unless you have specific consent from your employees to share their personal data, in this case facial image, with third parties (for the reasons of quality control or similar) you’re in breach of GDPR. You also need to have an agreement with the third party (your customer) on a mechanism of deletion at employee request.

Fines are massive (€10m for each case).

You’re massively at risk of being auctioned by a disgruntled employee. Get those dash cams unplugged.

I own the company along with someone else, neither of us or the chap we have doing occasional subcontract work care about dashcams or being filmed working on customers cars with them fitted.

If you are want to photograph or film on private property you need to have the permission of the property owner.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    I think, and I could be wrong here, because the property owner has possession of the vehicle (if not ownership), they’re the ones doing the filming. Hence the GDPR issue when they hand the car back (and transfer the data) to the owner.

Although that said I’ve being thinking about my point earlier and it would be worth looking further at the DPA and other legislation about cctv as well as the T&Cs the garage has re. possession of the car and resultant liabilities.

I know I sound like a right nerd on this subject but if it were me I’d be including a check for/deactivation of recording devices in my receiving protocol. Someone is going to lose their house on a GDPR fine and it’s naive to think it’ll just be banks and utilities companies that get these fines.

I think, and I could be wrong here, because the property owner has possession of the vehicle (if not ownership), they’re the ones doing the filming. Hence the GDPR issue when they hand the car back (and transfer the data) to the owner.

Although that said I’ve being thinking about my point earlier and it would be worth looking further at the DPA and other legislation about cctv as well as the T&Cs the garage has re. possession of the car and resultant liabilities.

I know I sound like a right nerd on this subject but if it were me I’d be including a check for/deactivation of recording devices in my receiving protocol. Someone is going to lose their house on a GDPR fine and it’s naive to think it’ll just be banks and utilities companies that get these fines.

Whilst I have no idea if you’re right or wrong, as I said earlier I have far better things to worry about than a dashcam that may or may not be recoding something.
    It stands to reason (for what that phrase is worth now) that if someone brings a vehicle in with recording capabilities it’s surely they’re responsibility if they choose to leave it running.
    Its an interesting point but I really can’t see anyone taking me to court over it

Master
    Ok, I may not have been clear, I got the tech to mark the new parts and then fit them, the old parts removed from the car were under my desk and then shown to the customer when he complained,(not in pleasant manner btw) if he didn’t trust us to do the work he shouldn’t have come in the first place.

Ok, I may not have been clear, I got the tech to mark the new parts and then fit them, the old parts removed from the car were under my desk and then shown to the customer when he complained,(not in pleasant manner btw) if he didn’t trust us to do the work he shouldn’t have come in the first place.
    Sadly the motor-trade is blighted with shysters.... I understand why some people do this.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Whilst I have no idea if you’re right or wrong, as I said earlier I have far better things to worry about than a dashcam that may or may not be recoding something.
    It stands to reason (for what that phrase is worth now) that if someone brings a vehicle in with recording capabilities it’s surely they’re responsibility if they choose to leave it running.
    Its an interesting point but I really can’t see anyone taking me to court over it
    Mate, I’m not having a go at you or trying to tell you what to do. I’m just sharing a bit of very very dull legal knowledge in case anyone reading finds it of interest/use.

Mate, I’m not having a go at you or trying to tell you what to do. I’m just sharing a bit of very very dull legal knowledge in case anyone reading finds it of interest/use.

Yes of course- no worries

Craftsman
    I don't get the motivation. You fixed it so that the customer woukd think he was being conned so that you could disavow him as a customer when he understandably complained. Why?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Last time we had a car in the main dealer for routine service they gave me a link to a video of the safety inspection that was carried out. I was quite impressed. (no dashcam on that car)

Master
    I have no issue with dealers unplugging my camera, however I was quite annoyed one occasion to find I had been driving around for a week without it unplugged because the dealer hadn't mention this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I own a garage and have never even thought about dashcams before. I assume that the 'correct' thing to do is to unplug them then?

As for the dealership who marked the parts... that's just weird. We all get customers who do things like that. Just smile, do the job and make your money. It isn't hard.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    Sigh.
    I have nothing to hide and emphatically do want not to be recorded by random distrusting sods in private space.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    H
    ´Thankfully?´ By Jove are you thát paranoid over there?!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I own a garage and have never even thought about dashcams before. I assume that the 'correct' thing to do is to unplug them then?
    YES!!!
    Depending on the layout/organisation of your premises yoú could be violating privacy rights of customers even if you do not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    ´Thankfully?´ By Jove are you thát paranoid over there?!
    It could also be a condition of your insurance... I got a healthy discount by having a permanent dashcam fitted to my car.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    It could also be a condition of your insurance... I got a healthy discount by having a permanent dashcam fitted to my car.
    No way! Nowadays you cannot even put a hamless fun bit on youtube without the law tracking you for points and more money than my insurance costs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Sigh.
    I have nothing to hide and emphatically do want not to be recorded by random distrusting sods in private space.
    It’s not about being recorded by ‘random distrusting sods’ I have a dash cam on my car and it’s there to protect me in the event of a non fault accident.
    The fact that it is hard wired into the car means that it will come on when the ignition is on, i didn’t fit it to spy on techs working on my car.