closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000 White Grape - Anyone?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000 White Grape - Anyone?

Im giving some significant consideration to buying a Rolex that will lose me money. I know right?

I keep lingering over the 36mm OP white grape as I absolutely love the shifting colours of the dial. I have (ish) a blue dial datejust so I know I can get away with 36mm despite usually wearing 40-43mm.

I was wondering if anyone wore one on a regular basis and what your thoughts are on it having lived with it?

I spend so long up to my neck in sports sports sports ive got a bit of a hankering for something simple. The double hash marks I could do without but I don't want a 39mm. Im after smaller lighter subtle as a bit of a refreshing change if that makes sense.

Friend of mine went for the 34mm as he didn't like the double hash marks. Would be worth trying both.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive tried but I find 34mm just a shade on the small side.

Master
    I’ve been looking at DJs and OPs recently too. Slightly left-field, but let me make the case for the GS SBGV205:

1. even with the 30% discount going Grey, there’s an excellent chance you should still be able to lose good money ;)
    2. when I put my 005 (i.e. the older version) next to an OP, the difference in finishing was startling
    3. I remember your not being impressed by the SBGX (I find them a little dull too) but this SBGV model has the 44GS case, which really elevates the look and is stunning in the flesh, especially on a strap.
    4. the dial is the nicest I’ve owned and might provide a lot of the styling / attractions of the OP you’re after:
    - very dynamic, but understated, ranging from champagne through to ivory.
    - beautifully simple and elegant - I feel a little sense of calm each time I look at it.
    5. The SBGVs are bigger than you want but they’re extremely light and comfortable on the wrist.
    6. Everyone needs a Grand Seiko HAQ!

It’s not a watch that grabs the attention at all in the shop, even appearing quite bland next to its brothers and sisters, but I’ve found it probably the most enjoyable (and impressive) of any of mine to wear.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 23rd August 2019 at 13:24.

Master
    With due apologies for the ridiculous fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I’ve been looking at DJs and OPs recently too. Slightly left-field, but let me make the case for the GS SBGV205:

1. even with the 30% discount going Grey, there’s an excellent chance you should still be able to lose good money ;)
    2. when I put my 005 (i.e. the older version) next to an OP, the difference in finishing was startling
    3. I remember your not being impressed by the SBGX (I find them a little dull too) but this SBGV model has the 44GS case, which really elevates the look and is stunning in the flesh, especially on a strap.

4. the dial is the nicest I’ve owned and might provide a lot of the styling / attractions of the OP you’re after:

- very dynamic, but understated, ranging from champagne through to ivory.- beautifully simple and elegant - I feel a little sense of calm each time I look at it.
    5. The SBGVs are bigger than you want but they’re extremely light and comfortable on the wrist.
    6. Everyone needs a Grand Seiko HAQ!

It’s not a watch that grabs the attention at all in the shop, even appearing quite bland next to its brothers and sisters, but I’ve found it probably the most enjoyable (and impressive) of any of mine to wear.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its the OP that im specifically considering. The GS doesn't grab me at all im afraid, even though its a fine watch.

Why not the 39? It wears the same a sub as there's more dial and less bezel. I've had mine two years and I prefer wearing it to go out over my Sub(s) as it gets zero attention. Underneath, it's identical to an Explorer.

Craftsman
    With today's Rolex price craziness I don't think you'll actually lose money here. Yes there will be in initial small hit, but then wear and enjoy the watch and after a couple of price hikes your used OP is worth pretty much what you paid for it!! There's man maths for you.

It's a lovely watch. A work colleague has the red grape dial in 36mm and size wise it wears the same as a 36mm DJ. For a non sports watch its the right size IMO.
    Last edited by Nadeem; 23rd August 2019 at 18:18.

Master
    Mrs Verv will be the likely benefactor Celia
    Can’t see you doing 36 for long

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think if you've always gone sports you have to ask why that is, and worry that you might get bored a bit too quickly with an OP. That's the conclusion I came to, anyway, re the OP39 in white. I adore it in pics but I came to feel that, since I have a range of watches at the least with bezels, and mostly complications, it would end up being at the back of the rotation.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Mrs Verv will be the likely benefactor Celia
    Can’t see you doing 36 for long
    She's added my IWC to the list of things she can now filch. Blue DJ for summer because she wears navy, black Ingenieur in winter cos she wears monochrome.
    Im pretty certain that theres no way of linking white grape dial to any kind of outfit and I HAVE CHECKED THIS THOROUGHLY.

I see the point re the OP seeming boring compared to the sports, but thats partly the attraction. I have nothing really basic/subtle.

Theres no white grape dial in the 39mm holsterman.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I see the point re the OP seeming boring compared to the sports, but thats partly the attraction. I have nothing really basic/subtle.
    That's the same reason I got an Explorer 1 and after a few months with it now it's the same reason I will be ditching it shortly.

Lovely, bland and under the radar but ultimately does not do a lot for me (which was actually the point when buying). It's too much money tied up in something which only gets worn when I want something discrete at work.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think ill continue to procrastinate for a while.

Well, my 4 penneth is this:- I don't think that it's a boring watch at all. A watch doesn't have to be all whistles and bells to be interesting.
    Up close the 116000 starts to show its worth. The finish. The dial. It's also very comfortable. I say go for it.

Master
    All my other watches are 40-42mm and I have one and love it. It's the best OP in terms of size and looks IMO.

Im giving some significant consideration to buying a Rolex that will lose me money. I know right?
    I'm not so sure you'll lose money on an Oyster Perpetual, in the log term at least. With more and more watches going the way of waiting lists, and OPs being the cheapest Rolex they're relatively good value and styled to suit almost everyone.

UK prices seem cheaper than almost anywhere else in the world and there's almost certainly a price rise or two coming. Bought well I think in a year or two you'd likely get your money back on most the more conservative coloured OPs.

Depends on what your thoughts are on a recession.

Half of everyone thinks one is coming and windows will be full of almost everything soon enough, Daytona still hard to get.

Other half think prices are going up and up and you can't lose. Especially after a price rise which judging from the £ and relentless demand will happen fairly soon. Perhaps November.

Journeyman
    I have the op36 with steel dial. Great watch, wears a lot bigger than you would think. I would say the dial is the same size as a Rolex dive watch. The dial looks it’s best when outside haven’t seen the white grape in person, but I have the red grape and that was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think ill continue to procrastinate for a while.
    9/10th’s of my procrastination’s result in me being glad I didn’t end up buying it.

Master
    Good call with the Oyster Perpetual, I’m afraid its the only watch in the current Rolex range that appeals to me..

36mm is the perfect size for an everyday watch for me. I wear my 36mm Seamaster 120 most of the time and I think it suits my 6.75” wrist perfectly.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ftiw, my daughter loves hers. Which was a graduation present.

Journeyman
    Great watch the Perpetual. Go for the size that suits