closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches running incredibly fast. The reason?

Watches running incredibly fast. The reason?

I've got a reasonably large watch collection, most of which I never wear although I do wind them periodically.

One thing I have noticed lately is that a couple are running really fast, gaining something like 5 minutes per hour.

What is the reason for this?

I'm inclined to think they could be magnetised somehow, they haven't suffered any shocks, or perhaps they just need servicing?

TBH the couple in question, although very nice are not valuable and will only be sat in the collection so not worth the price of a service.

My question is theoretical mainly as apart from the hairspring I can't think why any watch would exhibit such a gain in speed.

Anyone any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    free App - or use a compass - wave the watch over it and if the needle moves the watch is magnetised

Last edited by BillN; 3rd September 2019 at 13:28.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the spirals of the balance-spring have stuck to each other... either through magnetism or oil that may have run and stuck to them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The only thing that comes to mind is that the spirals of the balance-spring have stuck to each other... either through magnetism or oil that may have run and stuck to them.
    +1, can’t think of any other explanation.

Getting apps on phones isn’t much help, investing in a cheap demagnetiser would be more sensible. A watch hairspring can be magnetised without the case having become magnetised, it happens.

I’d be concerned about the ‘common mode failure’ aspect here, has a new source of magnetism entered your life? Have a think about what may have changed, might not turn anything up but it’s worth having a think. It may be worth getting a cheap compass and going around the house checking for magnetism, I did this a while back to confirm I had no strong magnets close to my work area. I’m distrustful if apps on phones, I don’t see phones as the panacea and I prefer old school stuff that I understand.

I’m happy to gave a look at these free of charge to cast some light on this, PM me if your interested.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    This was the watchmaker diagnosis when the same fast running happened to a sub of mine.

Master
    Magnetised hairspring would be my guess - having suffered similar on watches previously.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You can get a little blue box for virtually nothing from China that works a treat. You'll also need to get a 110 volt converter which also cost sod all. They'll take a while to arrive but work perfectly well. I Used to have a near Victorian one, but this seems about as effective with much less fuss.

Watches running incredibly fast. The reason?

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    You can get a little blue box for virtually nothing from China that works a treat.
    My little blue box is a Tianjin off eBay. This video of it in action starts slow but is actually a very good guide to how to demagnetise.

https://youtu.be/81Vuhe-ytz4

PS Use carefully at your own risk!
    Last edited by alfat33; 3rd September 2019 at 16:19.

Master

Was £6.36 delivered from China on eBay came with a UK plug too. Works a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’m distrustful if apps on phones, I don’t see phones as the panacea and I prefer old school stuff that I understand.
    Yes, to my mind the issue with apps on phones is that you cannot accurate calibrate the sensors on phones. So, even though the sensors on phones can probably be accurate and consistent, you just can't be sure of this without a calibrated baseline.

Craftsman
    The app I use to time my watches is watch tracker

It is calibrated with the atomic clock then you simply press the screen when the time shown on the screen matches the time on your watch.

Your reaction time etc become less important the longer the sample

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks all.

I guessed it was probably the hairspring and I may give the watches in question an inspection and invest in a demagnetiser too.

The watches are an old Seiko with a 7000 movement and an early Timor Art Deco so not of huge value but nice all the same.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The watches are an old Seiko with a 7000 movement
    From experience, I can confirm that Seiko 7000 series movements seem to be particularly prone to being magnetised. Don't know why.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th September 2019 at 13:59. Reason: Fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    For experience, I can confirm that Seiko 7000 series movements seem to be particularly prone to being magnetised. Don't know why.
    Interesting, thanks Mark.

I've ordered a demagnetiser and failing that I'll try giving the hairspring a bit of a clean.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website: