closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD keeping hang tag

Rolex AD keeping hang tag

Hi All,

I bought a Rolex OP 36 white dial fairly recently. The AD keep the white hang tag stating that it needed to be sent back to HQ. They also kept the bezel protector. Is this a new Rolex policy?

Craftsman
    Never heard of that. The white tag has all the details of the watch but so is the guarantee card, don't see the point in that. And the bezel protector, they might have lost one and kept yours for a watch in there stock ???

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No need as a trusted customer. Are you?

Craftsman
    They’ll be keeping the bloody watches as well soon 😀

New policy starting Sept is they hack off your hand at the wrist and keep it cryogenically frozen (with the Rolex on it) in a glass display case in store for 12 months). You are of course welcome to visit the store and view said appendage and watch at your leisure (subject to a £200 per visit admin fee). After 12 months the AD will advise you of the best surgeon to reattach your hand and the watch is yours.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Yawn....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Yawn....

Agree , damn tedious at best.

Craftsman
    This isn't meant to be rude in any way, but does it matter?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    New policy starting Sept is they hack off your hand at the wrist and keep it cryogenically frozen (with the Rolex on it) in a glass display case in store for 12 months). You are of course welcome to visit the store and view said appendage and watch at your leisure (subject to a £200 per visit admin fee). After 12 months the AD will advise you of the best surgeon to reattach your hand and the watch is yours.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    You joke but Rolex get away with anything.

Agreed but it's also tiresome of Rolex to be doing this. Get over yourselves! You make watches FFS! You're not saving lives or providing some kind of essential public service. It's absolutely pathetic. And then there are the customers. The customers who are prepared to virtually beg an AD to let them have the latest trinket. Please Sir, I promise I won't sell it. I promise I'll love it and caress it and rub it on my balls to make it feel special. And I don't mind waiting five years for it. Then proceed to visit the AD every month to blow smoke up his arse. Please Sir, please.

Pathetic.

Meanwhile the rest of the world gets on with buying perfectly lovely watches by going into a shop, trying it on, paying and walking out with it. And a hell of a lot of those watches are better quality and more expensive.

At the end of the day this whole debacle doesn't affect me, I just find the whole thing pretentious in the extreme.

Apologies to anyone offended by this but you know, freedom of speech and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Yawn....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Agreed but it's also tiresome of Rolex to be doing this. Get over yourselves! You make watches FFS! You're not saving lives or providing some kind of essential public service. It's absolutely pathetic. And then there are the customers. The customers who are prepared to virtually beg an AD to let them have the latest trinket. Please Sir, I promise I won't sell it. I promise I'll love it and caress it and rub it on my balls to make it feel special. And I don't mind waiting five years for it. Then proceed to visit the AD every month to blow smoke up his arse. Please Sir, please.

Pathetic.

Meanwhile the rest of the world gets on with buying perfectly lovely watches by going into a shop, trying it on, paying and walking out with it. And a hell of a lot of those watches are better quality and more expensive.

At the end of the day this whole debacle doesn't affect me, I just find the whole thing pretentious in the extreme.

Apologies to anyone offended by this but you know, freedom of speech and all that.
    However, it's probably not Rolex doing it.

Oh I'm sure you'll find that it is! The instructions come direct from Rolex in order for them to control the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    However, it's probably not Rolex doing it.

Craftsman
    Oh I'm sure you'll find that it is! The instructions come direct from Rolex in order for them to control the marketplace.
    Who's told you that?

It's common knowledge. I'll let the others with more knowledge and experience come in at this point. The CEO of Rolex was mentored by this fella....

td bank near by

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Who's told you that?
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 22nd August 2019 at 21:09.

Just enjoy the watch

Craftsman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    They’ll be keeping the bloody watches as well soon 
    Hahaha excellent

Master
    This only affects those seriously considering buying a Rolex. If you don't buy a Rolex, you are unaffected, so why even worry about it.

Hi Mick - it doesn’t worry me at all, I just find it annoying in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This only affects those seriously considering buying a Rolex. If you don't buy a Rolex, you are unaffected, so why even worry about it.

Master
    I like it, it enhances the brand and sorts out the true Rolex enthusiasts from the tyre kickers.

Blog Entries
    I like it, it enhances the brand and sorts out the true Rolex enthusiasts from the tyre kickers.
    No. It really, really does nothing of the kind.

It's making a mockery of the brand in my view and it is especially making a mockery of the ADs doing this offensive, customer-hating stuff.

You'd almost think that Rolex wanted to kill of many off its ADs, wouldn't you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    No. It really, really does nothing of the kind.

It's making a mockery of the brand in my view and it is especially making a mockery of the ADs doing this offensive, customer-hating stuff.

You'd almost think that Rolex wanted to kill of many of its ADs, wouldn't you.
    I think that Rolex have turned things around over the last two years. The days of some chancer walking into an AD and demanding a discount are long gone. Today, if you want a Rolex, you are going to jolly well pay for it.

Blog Entries
    I think that Rolex have turned things around over the last two years. The days of some chancer walking into an AD and demanding a discount are long gone. Today, if you want a Rolex, you are going to jolly well pay for it.
    Well yes, perhaps so, but what of it? There is not necessarily anything good about that unless you value money-based snobbery over quality (real though the quality is). As I said, current policies are, to my mind, making both Rolex and those of its ADs who follow these customer-hating policies into mockeries, into Simpsons-like exaggerated (and yet real) parodies of a luxury product and the related buying experience.

Pathetic.

Double yawn. The usual culprits out in force. Again. Wait for a couple more.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 23rd August 2019 at 00:56.

I’ll join in as a fellow culprit hilarious how they get away with all this nonsense and wealthy trinket collectors gobble it all up. Makes them feel important I imagine to get bent over by a posh company making posh stuff. And all the while it gets more and more reassuringly expensive
    What has all this got to do with an interest in watches? It’s an interest in investment and I prefer to read the FT for that tbh

Pathetic.

Well said imhfo

I’ve never wanted to wear the hang tag of any of my watches

Blog Entries
    Thought the thread needed something nice amongst the angst.
    Ooh lovely.........

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Why would you get annoyed by something that doesn't affect you?

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Why would you get annoyed by something that doesn't affect you?
    I think some of the posters on the thread profess no interest in owning or buying Rolex but love to get annoyed/irked on behalf of others. Everyday.

I really like Rolex, quality watches with a great history, luckily I’m not keen on any of the new watches they offer, if I was then I would need to get into a “relationship” with an AD which is a bit odd.

It’s strange because the old adage of the customer is always right is opposite with a new Rolex purchase, you the customer who has the money that they want, has to jump through hoops before you can give them the money (that they want) even then the experience is stripped back by keeping elements of the new watch..

Again it’s a merry go round that I wouldn’t get on, older 4-5 digit watches are what interest me and like land there not making anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Double yawn. The usual culprits out in force. Again. Wait for a couple more.
    As predictable as yourself commenting on such posts multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thought the thread needed something nice amongst the angst.
    Ooh lovely.........

Well a picture of the watch is all well and good, but where is the hang tag?😀

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Well said imhfo
    +1!

Rolex AD’s are so far up their own arses these days, they do not consider that the day will come when customers will give them a thoroughly deserved thundering FU!!!
    Last edited by KavKav; 23rd August 2019 at 08:58.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Well a picture of the watch is all well and good, but where is the hang tag?😀

I’ve never worn one so not sure.

Master
    My wifes watch purchased last year and it came with a hang tag for those that can't remember what one looks like(the white thing)

Pathetic.
    This.

Today, if you want a Rolex, you are going to jolly well pay for it.
    With a few silvers and what's left of your dignity.

Just looked on eBay and bezel protectors hang tags etc are all selling so retaining them is retaining someone’s money and also stopping them having the now sacred “Full set”. And before anyone moans about that how many WTB are there for boxes etc to make a “Full set” were it not for people wanting this stuff it would never get sold.

As for Rolex I am sure they are thinking more threads like these the better.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    OH MY GOD THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

Everyone knows that when you buy a Rolex to put on your wrist you also need the tags to use as outfit complimentary nipple tassels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    This.

Sorry but you are taking a one sided view.

In order to survive, Rolex need to protect their brand image from the tyre kickers who want to buy the product on the cheap. This was happening quite badly a couple of years ago. The most popular question in watch forums was along the lines of where can I get a discount and how much should I get.

That was doing Rolex no favours at all.

Today after 18 months or so of cutting back on volumes, Rolex have successfully reversed the situation. Today buying a Rolex demands that you either have to wait for it or pay above RRP if you want it today. If you go to a Grey Dealer and pay a premium over RRP, you will get the full set with no restrictions.

If you go to an AD, you will have to wait and when you eventually get it, have restrictions imposed upon you. It is entirely your choice which way you go.

The main thing is that Rolex are now selling to either the wealthy or to an enthusiast and not to some tyre kicker.

Not only does this benefit Rolex and their distribution chain, it benefits the customer by keeping the financial value and the integrity of the product intact.

Only tyre kickers are upset and sorry but that is their tough luck.

Haha, quite!

Honestly folks I’m really not upset by all this as it doesn’t affect me (I take anxiety meds so I don’t do emotional responses of any kind). I just said it the way I see it, in a calm and rational manner. I’d rather buy a GS diver which is a superior watch to a Sub and keep my dignity. I wouldn’t have any interest in ‘creating a relationship’ with some salesman and then spend a couple of years brown-nosing the bloke.

If I do ever buy a sports Rolex I’ll get it from one of you fine people or from Haywood.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    This.

Master

Rolex AD keeping hang tag

Some years back I went into a Rolex AD in London to buy a SeaDweller. Once we got past my “not looking like the type of person who would normally wear a Rolex” things went much more smoothly, then including paying for the watch.

Then it started to go wrong...

The dealer wanted to keep the boxes. I thought this was odd.

Then they told me that I wasn’t to get it wet until I had collected the boxes (and the paperwork, which it also transpired I was to leave at the dealer) after their “mandatory” three month “cooling off period.”

When I explained that (a) I had bought the watch and (b) I was fully intending using it for diving the nice dealer chappy explained that this was unacceptable as they were convinced I was just going to sell the watch on for a profit as the waiting lists meant that they were changing hands for RRP++.

At this point it became clear that something was very wrong so I requested an immediate refund and that I would go elsewhere. This turned out to be a problem too, as the watch was now apparently “second hand” and at this I must admit I rather lost my cool.

Once the refund was sorted, I went to the nearby Panerai dealer, bought a suitable watch and left with all of the bits and bobs.

I popped back to the Rolex AD and explained that their idiotic approach had lost them a sale.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Haha, quite!

Honestly folks I’m really not upset by all this as it doesn’t affect me (I take anxiety meds so I don’t do emotional responses of any kind). I just said it the way I see it, in a calm and rational manner. I’d rather buy a GS diver which is a superior watch to a Sub and keep my dignity. I wouldn’t have any interest in ‘creating a relationship’ with some salesman and then spend a couple of years brown-nosing the bloke.

If I do ever buy a sports Rolex I’ll get it from one of you fine people or from Haywood.
    You said it annoys you. If it doesn't affect you, why go on a rant about it then give an opinion that a watch is superior to one of the brands own? What are you basing that on anyway?

I have no dog in the fight here, as no longer own a Rolex but you're also effectively criticising people that buy these watches as having no dignity too

Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    Some years back I went into a Rolex AD in London to buy a SeaDweller. Once we got past my “not looking like the type of person who would normally wear a Rolex” things went much more smoothly, then including paying for the watch.

Then they told me that I wasn’t to get it wet until I had collected the boxes (and the paperwork, which it also transpired I was to leave at the dealer) after their “mandatory” three month “cooling off period.”

When I explained that (a) I had bought the watch and (b) I was fully intending using it for diving the nice dealer chappy explained that this was unacceptable as they were convinced I was just going to sell the watch on for a profit as the waiting lists meant that they were changing hands for RRP++.

At this point it became clear that something was very wrong so I requested an immediate refund and that I would go elsewhere. This turned out to be a problem too, as the watch was now apparently “second hand” and at this I must admit I rather lost my cool.

Once the refund was sorted, I went to the nearby Panerai dealer, bought a suitable watch and left with all of the bits and bobs.

I popped back to the Rolex AD and explained that their idiotic approach had lost them a sale.

They read forums and want to destroy the “ full set UK watch” urban legend

Craftsman
    Exactly the same with WoS Heathrow.terminal 2.
    White tag and bezel protector kept.
    Wonder if they will come when my guarantee card comes.
    Bizarre state of affairs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Why do people need a white tag and a bezel protector? Unless they are already thinking of that wonderful day they can make a few sovs before they even get the watch home. We all know the type, only buy watches to flip for a quick profit and spend all their time looking at values trying to judge the best time to make the most profit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why do people need a white tag and a bezel protector? Unless they are already thinking of that wonderful day they can make a few sovs before they even get the watch home. We all know the type, only buy watches to flip for a quick profit and spend all their time looking at values trying to judge the best time to make the most profit.
    Everyone, including next doors cat, knows that Rolex are going to be worth a fair bit of money and having the full set increases the value if and when they decide to sell. We all know it's mad but it is now a fact of life, so we just have to live with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post

A very vivid imagination you’ve got there Sir , keep on taking the tablets.

Everyone, including next doors cat, knows that Rolex are going to be worth a fair bit of money and having the full set increases the value if and when they decide to sell. We all know it's mad but it is now a fact of life, so we just have to live with it.
    IMHO bezel protector and Tag makes next to no impact on value. Especially the Tag. Warranty card is of course important. I never even check if the tags come with mine. Bezel protector can easily be gotten off ebay. But why does bezel protector matter if the watch isn't new upon resale anyway? Would someone seriously NOT buy a Rolex that came with warranty card etc but didn't have the bezel protector? People will be asking for the plastic transportation boxes they come in next or to make sure the outer white cardboard sleeve is present!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    IMHO bezel protector and Tag makes next to no impact on value. Especially the Tag. Warranty card is of course important. I never even check if the tags come with mine. Bezel protector can easily be gotten off ebay. But why does bezel protector matter if the watch isn't new upon resale anyway? Would someone seriously NOT buy a Rolex that came with warranty card etc but didn't have the bezel protector? People will be asking for the plastic transportation boxes they come in next or to make sure the outer white cardboard sleeve is present!
    I would buy it without all the extras because I am just normal. However it has to be said that weirdo collectors will pay extra for total originality.

I think they are mad, you think they are mad but if they flashed an extra £500 for all the extras, we would both snap their hand off.

So I can understand why people who buy a new Rolex, want the full set. The sensible compromise is for the dealer to hold onto them for 12 months.