closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 14 day cooling off period

Master

14 day cooling off period

I’ve recently instructed Purple Bricks to list a plot of land that I own. They were very quick with the initial response, indeed the for sale board went up within two days and the local agent sent me a text immediately saying he would be in touch ASAP about the listing. Fast forward almost two weeks and the only contact I have had with him is to inform him (the very next day after it was erected) that the for sale board has been put in the wrong place, I.e. on a different plot of land and despite him informing me it would be moved straight away, it hasn’t been.
    This lack of contact and the fact that the board is still standing on the wrong plot doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence and as such I want to pull the listing (it’s not on their website yet by the way)
    The 14 day cooling off period ends tomorrow. I talked to one of their representatives via live chat yesterday and they informed me that the local representative will be in touch to arrange to cancel the listing. I have emailed myself a copy of the live chat.
    I have also today, texted the local representative to ask if we can sort this ASAP as the cooling off period ends tomorrow. As of writing this I still haven’t received a reply off him.
    Now to my question, having contacted them expressing my wishes to end the contract within the 14 day period, will it still apply even though it’s now looking likely that it will be more than 14 days before the local representative gets back to me?

Cheers.

I would say you will be fine as your contract is with PB and they have been told by you that you wish to cancel.

Have they confirmed the cancellation by email/text?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’ve recently instructed Purple Bricks to list a plot of land that I own. They were very quick with the initial response, indeed the for sale board went up within two days and the local agent sent me a text immediately saying he would be in touch ASAP about the listing. Fast forward almost two weeks and the only contact I have had with him is to inform him (the very next day after it was erected) that the for sale board has been put in the wrong place, I.e. on a different plot of land and despite him informing me it would be moved straight away, it hasn’t been.
    This lack of contact and the fact that the board is still standing on the wrong plot doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence and as such I want to pull the listing (it’s not on their website yet by the way)
    The 14 day cooling off period ends tomorrow. I talked to one of their representatives via live chat yesterday and they informed me that the local representative will be in touch to arrange to cancel the listing. I have emailed myself a copy of the live chat.
    I have also today, texted the local representative to ask if we can sort this ASAP as the cooling off period ends tomorrow. As of writing this I still haven’t received a reply off him.
    Now to my question, having contacted them expressing my wishes to end the contract within the 14 day period, will it still apply even though it’s now looking likely that it will be more than 14 days before the local representative gets back to me?

Cheers.
    As long as you've notified them (preferably in writing) that you deem the contract cancelled as per the Consumer Contract Regulations, you should be fine. One thing to bear in mind is that you may have to pay for part of the services that has already been provided (i.e. the board) during the cancellation period. I'd be inclined to e-mail them to confirm the cancellation, BCCing yourself into the message and follow up with a phone call (with another written note of what was said on the call).

Put in notice now. They are an absolute joke.

If you're serious about selling you won't use them. Equally if you want to be taken seriously by their rep, put in notice now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    As long as you've notified them (preferably in writing) that you deem the contract cancelled as per the Consumer Contract Regulations, you should be fine. One thing to bear in mind is that you may have to pay for part of the services that has already been provided (i.e. the board) during the cancellation period. I'd be inclined to e-mail them to confirm the cancellation, BCCing yourself into the message and follow up with a phone call (with another written note of what was said on the call).
    Would I still have to pay for the board despite them erecting it on the wrong plot? I’ve taken photos and videos showing this.

I'd argue that you owe them nothing seeing as they've failed to provide any part of the service expected of them. What use is a For Sale sign on the wrong plot....?

Craftsman
    I'd never consider viewing a house listed on Purple Bricks. Naive perhaps but I think it says as much about the seller as anything else. Lots of negative feedback about them on the MSE housey forums.

Grand Master
    When you weigh up the costs involved with housemoves, the estate agents fees aren’t that significant so it isn’t an area I’d look to save money on, I prefer to deal with a local agent who knows the market.

Using Purple Bricks gives out the wrong message to buyers in my opinion, I would never use them to sell. I’m not a fan of estate agents but a good one can make a difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    When you weigh up the costs involved with housemoves, the estate agents fees aren’t that significant so it isn’t an area I’d look to save money on, I prefer to deal with a local agent who knows the market.

Using Purple Bricks gives out the wrong message to buyers in my opinion, I would never use them to sell. I’m not a fan of estate agents but a good one can make a difference.
    Local estate agents in my area don’t work on %’s. They charge around the 2K mark. and I think that’s quite a lot on a plot of land that I want to list at 50K, hence looking for other solutions and PB came up.
    Thankfully they showed their hand early enough for me to cancel.

Master
    Thank you for the replies folks. I’ve just had an email off the local representative informing me that my cancellation request is being processed.

I know it isn't land but I'm selling my house atm and trying to buy. Two properties at the start of my chain are with Purple Bricks and I am doing everything in my power to get the lower part of the chain to re-market and break the Purple Bricks section. My estate agent who is very, very good is having to call them, ask his questions, wait on hold while they call the respective owner or solicitor, and then relay it back. They referred one of their vendors to a factory solicitors called Premier Property Lawyers who are the purple bricks of conveyancing and they are equally a joke. They work via introducers which says it all.

On the buying side the second we see a property for sale with Purple Bricks we just think the seller isn't serious, the valuation is probably the vendor's valuation and they probably don't have any real motivation to sell and will be a nightmare through the transaction as it probably won't sell. Organising viewings is nearly as hard as buying a stainless steel Daytona and once you get talking to the vendor it inevitably goes south.

If anyone has done well with an online agent fair play to you, you're a better person than I, all I can say is even a stopped clock...

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Would I still have to pay for the board despite them erecting it on the wrong plot? I’ve taken photos and videos showing this.
    I'd say no! Just be aware in case they try and argue they've done something else (seems they've done nothing or what they have done is totally hopeless however). Hope it goes well from here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anecdotal I know, but a house near me recently put up a Purple Bricks sign and it was marked sold in less than a month. Another house nearby has been on the market with a conventional estate agent for a year and still unsold. That said, I would most likely employ a conventional agent if selling. Happy (sort of!) to pay commission for a good service.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    When we were attempting to sell my mothers house - which to be fair had decorative issues. We engaged a traditional estate agent that had a good reputation locally.
    TL;DR - they were awful, bad pictures, worse description (professionally installed summer house described as a 'lean to'), massive overvaluation and then pushed some incredibly insulting offers with platitudes about a depressed market, brexit and the decorative state. To my mind they certainly didn't bring nearly £5000 worth of value to the table.

In the end we got a private offer from an acquaintance after we'd decided to fire the estate agents and redecorate the property in the hope of an easier sale. This has worked out well and I now consider estate agents to be parasitic grifters of the worst sort. I'm sure there are good ones out there and if you are selling an immaculate property they earn their keep (maybe) but it seems that anything requiring active salesmanship is just given minimum effort.