closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UE boom 2 heads up

Master
    Blog Entries

UE boom 2 heads up

Blog Entries
    Thanks - was looking for similar as a present.

Master
    I got one of these a couple of years ago for £90ish and still happy with it now. Great for the garden when it’s BBQ and pool time, mine has been soaked, dropped and bashed about. It’s had a pretty hard life and still going strong - £60 is a bargain!

Don’t fall for it - look carefully it’s a UE Boom 2 lite, they’ve done this before - look at all the other colours, last image of the box, UE Boom 2. Now look at the colour that’s £59 - last picture of the box, UE Boom 2 lite. Totally inferior speaker, lots of complaints if you read through the reviews. Very sneaky imho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back up to £90 I see. I decided to give them a try because I just happened to be trying out some Bose ones already. I'd seen a lot of suspiciously good reviews of UE, but initially decided not to bother. I have now concluded that all the positive reviews they get are fake, planted, or by people who haven't tried alternatives (or the ubiquitous inverted snobbery about Bose strikes again). They sound pretty horrible compare to the Bose Sounlink Micros, which are normally £80 so either slightly more expensive, or cheaper depending on how you look at it.

That said, I tried a few different bluetooth speakers a couple of years ago and couldn't stand any of them, so things have come a long way since then. The higher-end UEs could be as good as they are made out to be. These aren't though.

The Bose Micros have a surprisingly natural, open sound. Two of them in stereo mode will fill a room quite well, although these aren't as loud or bassy as others, including the UEs. They sound absolutely massive in relation to their size though.

I don't know if it's because these UEs are the "lite" version, but one reviewer stated the speakers themselves are identical, they just come with fewer accesories. If they aren't the same then they are just damaging their brand with these. They just sound boxy - and simultaneously tinny, with overdriven, muddy bass - just like you'd expect from cheap speakers.

I also tried the Bose Revolve and it's a pretty amazing piece of kit, but not for me. It has a lot more bass weight than the Micro and a single speaker can fill a room remarkably well. Unfortunately, I found it incredibly tiring to listen to, so I won't be keeping it. The Micros actually sound very nice - extremely surprisingly so, considering how tiny they are.

The only thing I dislike about the Bose is that the app is rubbish. Takes ages to get up a pair of speakers in stereo mode and there's no way to swap channels without physically moving the speakers if you accidentally pair them in the wrong order. The UE app is a lot better and the ability to link more than two speakers might be good for parties. Bose has "party mode" but only supports two speakers.

For me though, the purity of sound is key and Bose pretty far ahead here. They won't impress people who mainly like loud, overdriven bass, but if you want to pick out individual voices and instruments and have them actually sound somewhat like whatever they are, Bose wins hands down.

The Revolve has a similar - even better - clarity, but I think the bass & treble are a tad overdriven, which is what makes them tiring to listen to. It's a bit of a "scooped" frequency response so the midrange feels bit "distant" (not distorted, just quieter), whereas the Micros are more neutral, but have less total power. The Micros do start to distort a bit at 80% volume. OTOH the Revolve can go a lot louder without any trouble, but if you want to hear clear vocals etc., you have to crank it up to where other parts may be uncomfortable for background listening.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Soz for the poor link, I have had UE boom 2 for year and the normal boom for longer. Both been ace a far better travel/outdoor speaker than the Bose( not as good in the bass department though).

Master
    The Bose is great around the home but the UE booms I have isn’t far off in sound to my ears (listened to them side by side) but miles better for out and about round pools etc heck even just on the patio when one of the kids has knocked the boom off the table onto flags. Horses for courses I guess, I’ve never tried the light version though so can’t comment on those.
    Incidentally I have a megablast (boom on steroids) in the bathroom for Alexa in the shower it’s a big speaker but with the powerup base for charging makes it a great grab and go because it’s always charged something I always seem to forget with my other speakers.

I bought one of these for my girlfriend a couple of years ago and was so impressed bought one for myself, an excellent speaker!

Yes the UE Boom 2 is excellent - I bought one for my son last year - but the Boom 2 lite is totally different both in size and function. And that’s what they sold at the reduced price. If you looked closely at the full priced versions they were all packaged without the word ‘lite’ on the box - but it was presented as if it was the same thing on a different colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    The Bose is great around the home but the UE booms I have isn’t far off in sound to my ears (listened to them side by side) but miles better for out and about round pools etc
    I didn't try them outside, but I would imagine that loudness, and more bass in particular, is a benefit in that case. Hadn't really considered that, but Bose in particular are designed to reflect bass off nearby walls. For that reason they say not to place them in the middle of a room or they will sound thinner than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If you looked closely at the full priced versions they were all packaged without the word ‘lite’ on the box - but it was presented as if it was the same thing on a different colour.
    One of the Amazon reviews specifically says this isn't the case, but they could be mistaken - or it could be that Logitech occasionally ship higher spec versions in the "lite" packaging. It's a known trick for manufacturers to do that with review units especially, then ship a "version 1.1" revision two weeks after all the reviews come out. Very common with laptops etc. (even e.g., Apple official specs will list 2 or 3 SSD manufacturers, but the specs are totally different - it's pot luck which one you get, but you can bet all the early reviewers got the best one).