closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Walking The Camino . Advice Sought

Walking The Camino . Advice Sought

A bit different to the usual travel advice but has anyone here had any experience of walking any of the routes?
    My interest has been piqued by a few different things recently and I really fancy doing one or more legs of the Camino.
    I’m currently leaning towards San Sebastian- Bilbao or Bilbao -Santander but I’m open to suggestions. It’ll just be me and my wife and although we do walk a few trails every now and again, we wouldn’t want to overstretch on a difficult part of the route just yet.
    We are looking at May or June next year .
    All advice would be most welcome .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't offer advice but I'd be over the moon if you'd consider taking this with you:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...keTime-Project

Dave

BBC Sounds has a few programmes about the Camino - Stories in Sounds has a few episodes on the trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Can't offer advice but I'd be over the moon if you'd consider taking this with you:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...keTime-Project

Dave
    I’d be delighted to .
    If it helps , I’m off to Pula next week and will take it diving there?

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    BBC Sounds has a few programmes about the Camino - Stories in Sounds has a few episodes on the trek.
    Thanks, just found that .

I have done it cross country on maintain bikes, my nephew is a pro, I trained, we did it in 5.5 days, do you plan to use hotels or hostels? Are you starting in Santiago or France?

Reading your post it will have to be Santiago, it takes four to eight weeks to walk, how long have you got.
    Last edited by adrianw; 21st August 2019 at 21:57.

I walked it starting in France with zero training, it's fine. The best part was crossing the Pyrenees, that and the occasional wine fountain you come across. Overall a fantastic experience, thoroughly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I walked it starting in France with zero training, it's fine. The best part was crossing the Pyrenees, that and the occasional wine fountain you come across. Overall a fantastic experience, thoroughly recommend it.
    Over the top and down to Pamplona was a hair raising experience, first time I had ever done downhilling seriously

Journeyman
    Did it twice...only around 100km each as I don’t stay in the EU and my visa validity is limited

In 2016 I did Sarria-Santiago (Camino Frances)
    In 2018 I did Valença do Minho-Santiago (Camino Portugues)

My tips will be:
    If your feet are strong,go with trail runner as they’re lighter and more cushy than boots
    Bring an extra pair of footwear
    Pack light so you can walk faster
    Wear waterproof jacket (worn Arcteryx gore tex on both of my trips)

My advice will be doing it after easter (April-ish) as it’s less crowded and the weather is colder but it gets dark a bit sooner

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I’d be delighted to .
    If it helps , I’m off to Pula next week and will take it diving there?
    Alas, it's currently in Thailand on Ryan's wrist but thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Did it twice...only around 100km each as I don’t stay in the EU and my visa validity is limited

My tips will be:
    If your feet are strong,go with trail runner as they’re lighter and more cushy than boots

My advice will be doing it after easter (April-ish) as it’s less crowded and the weather is colder but it gets dark a bit sooner
    Good tips, I would add several pairs of thick walking socks, comfortable supportive walking boots and some foot cream!

Blog Entries
    Good luck and safe travels - it's a walk/journey that has piqued my interest since watching "The Way" - a film that I really enjoyed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

My tips will be:

My wife and a bunch of her friends have been walking the camino in one week chunks for a while now. Earlier this year they did the Logroño to Burgos bit. I'm not sure if they have decided which bit they'll do next year. Anyhow, what they do (along with many others from what I can gather) is to organise their rucksacks to be transported from the hotel that they have stayed in to the next one on the itinerary. That way they don't have to carry more than a light backpack during the day.

Craftsman
    I've done pieces in stages. You can do it as part of an organised group or solo. Foot wear is very important.
    I found the following website useful
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me
    And the John brierly guide books

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I've done pieces in stages. You can do it as part of an organised group or solo. Foot wear is very important.
    I found the following website useful
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me
    And the John brierly guide books

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that, the website is really useful and I’ve ordered a guide book .
    We are Leaning towards San Sebastian to Bilbao . Tried to convince myself it’s because of the great views, unspoilt landscape, proximity to the sea and fairly easy terrain but deep down I know it’s because of the superb pinxtos and €1 Verdejo .
    Good advice taken on the footwear and what to carry.
    Wouldn’t mind picking your brains sometime mindforge if you don’t mind ?

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Thanks for that, the website is really useful and I’ve ordered a guide book .
    We are Leaning towards San Sebastian to Bilbao . Tried to convince myself it’s because of the great views, unspoilt landscape, proximity to the sea and fairly easy terrain but deep down I know it’s because of the superb pinxtos and €1 Verdejo .
    Good advice taken on the footwear and what to carry.
    Wouldn’t mind picking your brains sometime mindforge if you don’t mind ?
    Of course! Feel free to pm me.

Journeyman
    Regarding footwear,there’s been an argument between gore tex or no gore tex

I took gore tex footwear on both my walks and felt secure even when it’s raining..but when I arrived in the next hotel and take off my shoes,there’s light smoke vapor came out from my socks...because my feet were enclosed in my waterproof boots/shoes

Another thing to carry is walking stick,they’re helpful especially on uneven ground

When you visit San Sebastian,go up to the hill overlooking the city,near hotel monte Igueldo,it’s beautiful to take photo of the town...I visited there on my bus transit from Santiago to France...

IMG_4985.JPG

Regarding footwear,there’s been an argument between gore tex or no gore tex

I took gore tex footwear on both my walks and felt secure even when it’s raining..but when I arrived in the next hotel and take off my shoes,there’s light smoke vapor came out from my socks...because my feet were enclosed in my waterproof boots/shoes

Another thing to carry is walking stick,they’re helpful especially on uneven ground

When you visit San Sebastian,go up to the hill overlooking the city,near hotel monte Igueldo,it’s beautiful to take photo of the town...I visited there on my bus transit from Santiago to France...

IMG_4985.JPG
    I was in SAN Sebastian earlier this year and we did go up in the funicular . As you say, it’s a stunning view.
    One of the nicest places I’ve been to recently.
    Thanks for the tips .

Master
    Most of those who walk the Camino are foreigners and most of the Spanish think they are mad.

They walk for weeks in remote areas and have to poo and wee in the bushes. They get bitten by insects and if they sleep in hostels, they cannot take their partners, so no nookie for them. Also the food is rubbish.

Why volunteer for that ?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Most of those who walk the Camino are foreigners and most of the Spanish think they are mad.
    Not so; it is rather big among spanjards too.
    Just about évery village in Spain has town hall organise a trip for a week´s walking.

To the OP:
    It is mássively crowded. This year about a 1000 walkers arriving in Satiago per day during the summer months.

So; organise your lodgings!!!

Five years ago my gf´s father and his brother did the Ruta de La Plata from Sevilla to Santiago, starting end of March. That route is hardly discovered by international tourism yet even they opted for a B&B or Hotel about aquarter of the overnights, either because they found the refugio occupied or chose more quiet.

Two years ago, said gf walked from Santiago to Cruz de Finisterre. The chose a route first to and then closest to the coast with five friends. In many parts it was só unused that at times they had to cut the growth with machettes. One of the friends lives in Galicia and organised the overnights.
    Next week she is going up there again for a long week to do a three or four day walk.