closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Omega Seamaster help

Vintage Omega Seamaster help

Hi all

I am considering getting either a vintage Seamaster 600 or 30 as a nice inexpensive dress watch. I see the 600 is fitted with the 601 calibre and the 30 with the 286. Just wondered if anybody can provide some info on the difference between these two movements. Is one considered better than the other (more durable, accurate)? Are parts easy to come by for both movements come service time?

Thanks again
    Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The 28X is part of the Omega 30mm family dating back to 1939 or so. It is a great reliable workhorse which was used up until the mid 1960s and replaced by the 60X movement which was I think developed alongside the 55X Auto and is 28mm in diameter. Functionally there isn't much in it, both are robust and reliable. The 601 has I think maybe 4 hours more reserve. Purists would probably go for the SM30 but buy the one you like the look of most. The 286 lacks the Breguet overcoil balance of the earlier 30mm variants by the way. The 285 and earlier are posher in that regard.

Some info:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Omega_286

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Omega_601
    Last edited by Padders; 21st August 2019 at 11:24.

Thanks Padders, that was really helpful. I actually prefer the look of the Seamaster 30 as I like the gold hands and indices. The cases are also lightly bigger at 35.5mm, which I am guessing is to accommodate the larger movement.

Grand Master
    PM sent....I have a recently restored Seamaster 600 which is for sale shortly, on my wrist at the moment.

All the work was done by my good self, it’ll come with 12 months guarantee, OP’s got first refusal if he wishes.

Choosing between a Seamaster 30 and the later 600 is tricky, I prefer the older model if I’m honest, but the 600 is easier for parts and is (arguably) a better movement. Having said that I like the old 260/280 series, they’re very robust and their ancestry dates back a long way......a classic movement IMO.

One big advantage with old hand- wounds.....no expensive autowinding parts to worry about

Seamaster 30

Great watches , you wont be dissapointed ! Here are some pics of mine currently @ Simon Freese having a new crystal , crown and a bit of plating.

Keeps perfect time and wears a tad larger than my 50s seamaster .

[IMG] [/IMG]

Good luck with the hunt whichever model you choose .

Grand Master
    Here's my Seamaster 600. Recent full restoration. Currently giving over 280° amplitude and running around +3 secs/day.

OP's got firsts refusal if he bothers to reply to my PM, otherwise it'll be going on SC next week.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Here's my Seamaster 600. Recent full restoration. Currently giving over 280° amplitude and running around +3 secs/day.

OP's got firsts refusal if he bothers to reply to my PM, otherwise it'll be going on SC next week.

Paul, that Seamaster 600 is the exact kind of watch I am after. PM has been sent. Very kind of you to offer me first refusal.

I have been looking around at modern dress watches and other than the Nomos Orion, I am really struggling to find a 35-37mm time
    only handwound that is reasonably priced.

What was the dial like before to warrant a redial?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    What was the dial like before to warrant a redial?
    Basically it was very scruffy, so were the hands. I don`t have pictures but when I bought it I knew it would need refinishing to get it looking nice.

Just agreed to sell it to the OP on this thread, it's a super watch but obviously won`t appeal to everyone with the refinished dial. Horses for courses, it's a very sharp looking watch, very practical too because it keeps the wet out!

Basically it was very scruffy, so were the hands. I don`t have pictures but when I bought it I knew it would need refinishing to get it looking nice.

Just agreed to sell it to the OP on this thread, it's a super watch but obviously won`t appeal to everyone with the refinished dial. Horses for courses, it's a very sharp looking watch, very practical too because it keeps the wet out!
    I would prefer yours to a damaged dial.