closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The National Trust

Master

The National Trust

Like most people, I bought joint membership of the NT a few years ago for the wife and I and of course, we hardly ever visit anywhere. So we are now making an effort to use it and have already been to a few places this year. It makes a pleasant day out and the NT usually does the typical English afternoon tea thingy with scones and jam/cream etc.

I have a simple request, can any other NT members here recommend a place worth visiting, even if it warrants booking in to a local hotel. Preferably south of Coventry.

Snowshill, near Broadway in the Cotswolds. A warning to all hoarders.

Depends on how south of Coventry you mean

Bateman's is well worth a visit

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/batemans

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Snowshill, near Broadway in the Cotswolds. A warning to all hoarders.
    Been there! Truly bonkers and brilliant place!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Been there! Truly bonkers and brilliant place!
    Yes we are soon to leave and go there today.

Wimpole Estate is a good day out - plenty of variety.

Nymans
    Wimpole Hall and Farm
    Chartwell
    Ightham mote

Master
    Nymans - my personal favourite. Great gardens, house has an interesting history, second hand book shop, good tea room.
    Knole Park
    Chartwell - Chrurchill's home and great grounds.

Master
    Saltram House in Plymouth. Lovely gardens, estate, tea rooms and shop. I have never been inside the actual house but its supposed to be v fine;

"Saltram House is a grade I listed George II era mansion house located in the parish of Plympton, near Plymouth in Devon, England. It was deemed by the architectural critic Pevsner to be "the most impressive country house in Devon".

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    Saltram House in Plymouth. Lovely gardens, estate, tea rooms and shop. I have never been inside the actual house but its supposed to be v fine;

"Saltram House is a grade I listed George II era mansion house located in the parish of Plympton, near Plymouth in Devon, England. It was deemed by the architectural critic Pevsner to be "the most impressive country house in Devon".
    My father built ( or rather rebuilt) the ha-ha wall there, in the 1960s.

I read somewhere that the New Zealand National Trust can be joined which is cheaper than National Trust here in UK and allows full access to both.

Master
    NT not NY.

Master
    Waddeston Manor just south of Bicester. Great cafe too + Rothschild wines for sale. He owns the gaff.

If you come down to cambridge for a night or two, you can do Wimpole and Anglesey Abbey. Both are lovely. There are others nearby too, and of course Cam ridge is quite lovely to have a look around too. (Biased cause I love there)

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Waddeston Manor just south of Bicester. Great cafe too + Rothschild wines for sale. He owns the gaff.
    The NT own Waddesdon Manor, Jacob Rothschild manages it. Well worth a visit.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Many thanks for the information, all of them have been noted. Went to Snowshill yesterday which is a small country house in the Arts and Crafts style. The last owner was a collector maniac and spent 22 years collecting 22500 items, that is 20 items a week non stop. It was truly wacky and the most common utterance you heard was someone saying to their partners, "don't you ever accuse me of hoarding clutter again."

I was once friendly with a previous Financial Director of the NT and he was always filled with a sense of gloom about it, but when you see a nicely restored house set in well maintained gardens and land, you know they must be getting somethings right.

Craftsman
    The NT used to do some enticing signing up offers or Quidco cashback offers, but I've not seen any recently.

Having previously owned classic cars, I always thought it would be a nice touch if NT had reserved parking for classics right outside some of their houses so that the cars would add some flavour to the properties and interest for other visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    The NT used to do some enticing signing up offers or Quidco cashback offers, but I've not seen any recently.

Having previously owned classic cars, I always thought it would be a nice touch if NT had reserved parking for classics right outside some of their houses so that the cars would add some flavour to the properties and interest for other visitors.
    Like this?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Like this?

Is that Nuffield Place ? Went last year. Fascinating to visit less grand properties but with a real sense of history

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Cars outside NT's Greenway, Agatha Christies holiday home in Devon.

The property is well worth a visit, full of memorabilia of AG and the grounds run down to the River Dart and offer a lovely place to picnic.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Is that Nuffield Place ? Went last year. Fascinating to visit less grand properties but with a real sense of history

It is.
    They really treated us well, marshalling us in, free entry for non-NT classic drivers n passengers, and a lovely thank-you letter afterwards!

Uncle Bill was a good egg was he not!

Craftsman
    We like both of these, in Warwickshire (and south of Coventry)…

Baddesley Clinton. A moated manor house, lots of connections to the gunpowder plot: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/baddesley-clinton

Charlecote Park: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/charlecote-park

Craftsman
    To be honest you can't go far wrong with any of them. Been to quite a few now and they all have there own atmosphere and ambience.

My local two are Blickling Hall / Fellbrigg Hall although I think my favourites are
    Chartwell - Parts of the property still feel like WSC is living there and Agatha Christie's house. We nabbed a couple of deck chairs and watched the world go by