closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fighter pilot school

Master
    Blog Entries

Fighter pilot school

Just watched the first episode of 'Fighter pilot school: The real Top Gun' on ITV hub - it made for exhilarating viewing. As well as covering pilots taking their first steps in fast jets, it also looks at those learning on the F35s - I was initially amused to see the pilot having to enter username and password to start the thing up (it's basically a flying computer) and then amusement veered towards mild concern when the aircraft wouldn't recognize him and he had to turn everything off, disconnect the battery, wait, it all turn it all back on and try again "it's basically CTRL, ALT, Delete for the plane" was the explanation. And when that didn't work, the cameras were asked to leave whilst they got the thing going!

Anyway, the following two episodes are screened on Tuesdays at 9 or catch up on ITV Hub if interested

Master
    It's was a very good insight in what these potential F35 pilots have to go through. The price of the helmets alone, made my eye's water.

I wouldn't be to happy if Windows started installing a critical download while I was in one of those either. The pilots have balls of steel.. Or complete faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Just watched the first episode of 'Fighter pilot school: The real Top Gun' on ITV hub - it made for exhilarating viewing. As well as covering pilots taking their first steps in fast jets, it also looks at those learning on the F35s - I was initially amused to see the pilot having to enter username and password to start the thing up (it's basically a flying computer) and then amusement veered towards mild concern when the aircraft wouldn't recognize him and he had to turn everything off, disconnect the battery, wait, it all turn it all back on and try again "it's basically CTRL, ALT, Delete for the plane" was the explanation. And when that didn't work, the cameras were asked to leave whilst they got the thing going!

Anyway, the following two episodes are screened on Tuesdays at 9 or catch up on ITV Hub if interested
    Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for the heads up - the series sound interesting.

As a related aside, many church organs now use PC based technology. There is nothing worse than windows restarting to install an update during the third verse of Praise my Soul!

Craftsman
    Excellent programme! Loved it when they were practising their American accents. The price of the helmet also made me gulp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Thanks for the heads up - the series sound interesting.

As a related aside, many church organs now use PC based technology. There is nothing worse than windows restarting to install an update during the third verse of Praise my Soul!
    LOL - a purely analogue world is way behind us now. At least there are automatic watches to keep us grounded!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    And when that didn't work, the cameras were asked to leave whilst they got the thing going!
    Probably so you didn't see the toggle switch hidden under the coaming that bypassed the ignition in the same way I installed one on my MK1 Cortina in the 1970's ;-)

Journeyman

Fighter Pilot school

Quite a change for the surfing instructor. Surf board to F35.
    I remember the 80's series Fighter Pilot. The only person to go on to fighter training was a former Glasgow milkman John Mcrea.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a major flaw with any combat equipment.

Like a Tank with no running engine,useless.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stood half way up a mountain at the start of the Mach Loop yesterday. A couple of F15s came through did a bit of showing off with a couple of rolls, then we were treated to a Galaxy fly through pretty awesome to see the big thing flying past at eye level.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Quite a change for the surfing instructor. Surf board to F35.
    I remember the 80's series Fighter Pilot. The only person to go on to fighter training was a former Glasgow milkman John Mcrea.
    You can watch on YouTube!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    It's was a very good insight in what these potential F35 pilots have to go through. The price of the helmets alone, made my eye's water.

Puts F1 into perspective and the cheap seats
    Last edited by hilly10; 21st August 2019 at 14:03.

Craftsman
    This is most definitely on my ‘to-do’ list. I was lucky enough a few years ago to have a trip to RAF Valley in a reciprocal agreement and had a great afternoon in a Hawk whizzing over Wales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Fighter Pilot school

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    You can watch on YouTube!

You learn something new every day. All the episodes seem to be there.

Same location is another 80s programme "Test Pilot" Worth it alone to see the original Lightning take off.

Craftsman
    I've just watched the 1st episode, can't wait for the next, excellent.