closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IPhone Question

Craftsman

IPhone Question

Apologies for what may be a stupid question.

After 5 long years of service my trusty iPhone 6 had an argument with a tiled floor in a classical 'drop the phone or the baby' scenario. The screen is completely smashed despite a tempered glass screen protector and currently I'm using my wife's old 5S, which although is an excellent size tends to drop the battery from 40% to 2% in approx 5 mins.

Is it worth holding fire until Apple release the next batch of iPhones in September or bite the bullet now? Practically how much different is the XR to the XS? Will the new batch result in a cheaper XS?

Thanks,
    Olly

Once the new iPhone 11/XI is released the prices of a good used X or XS will drop as people upgrade and a lot hit the market. I have no experience of the XR but it has an LCD screen and older camera; whether it's much of a difference in the real World I can't comment. If buying used ensure you ask what the Battery Health figure is; anything under about 85% indicates a tired battery so factor in a replacement - £45 I believe through an Apple Store.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Practically how much different is the XR to the XS?
    This shows you the side by side differences:

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

I haven't got either so can't comment!

I would have thought waiting for the new releases would make sense. It must have an impact on the price of what become older models.

The new iPhones are out in under a month now and the current ones will all be for sale for £80 less than the new models at Apple retail stores. This is based on you buying them SIM free.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Apologies for what may be a stupid question.

After 5 long years of service my trusty iPhone 6 had an argument with a tiled floor in a classical 'drop the phone or the baby' scenario. The screen is completely smashed despite a tempered glass screen protector and currently I'm using my wife's old 5S, which although is an excellent size tends to drop the battery from 40% to 2% in approx 5 mins.

Is it worth holding fire until Apple release the next batch of iPhones in September or bite the bullet now? Practically how much different is the XR to the XS? Will the new batch result in a cheaper XS?

Thanks,
    Olly
    Apple will only charge you 100£ for a new screen if that's all it is.

Or......buy a seven and run a couple of upgrades behind the herd as I do - it's much cheaper.

B

2020 is the year to invest in the latest iPhone, as the new models then will be 5g equipped. If you must have one now I'd buy a 7+, I've had mine nearly 2yrs and it still runs great, I'll be getting a cheap sim deal shortly and keep it for another couple of years.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    I recently (in February) upgraded from iphone 6 (faulty LCD that acts on its own) to XR as I like bigger screen but don’t need all the bells and whistles of XS

Personally for OP,I’d wait a month to upgrade or buy the prev gen for slightly better price...

Craftsman
    Whatever you upgrade to, go for a 6s or newer if you want to be able to use iOS 13. If you plan to keep it a couple of years a 7 or newer would be sensible bet.

The XR has a bigger screen than the XS and has better battery life. I think the XR would be a great upgrade, but I would wait until the next gen launch in September and as long as the XR is replaced there will likely be some good deals on the outgoing model.

Journeyman
    You could always get a replacement screen from eBay and DIY. Cheap and simple to do and while not OEM quality (even though they say they are) it will last until prices settle.

Having said that, the XR is good value and has a great battery but the screen is noticeably not as good as one on my X.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    2020 is the year to invest in the latest iPhone, as the new models then will be 5g equipped. If you must have one now I'd buy a 7+, I've had mine nearly 2yrs and it still runs great, I'll be getting a cheap sim deal shortly and keep it for another couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    Whatever you upgrade to, go for a 6s or newer if you want to be able to use iOS 13. If you plan to keep it a couple of years a 7 or newer would be sensible bet.

The XR has a bigger screen than the XS and has better battery life. I think the XR would be a great upgrade, but I would wait until the next gen launch in September and as long as the XR is replaced there will likely be some good deals on the outgoing model.
    Thanks for all the input. I hadn't really considered 5G into the mix and had forgotten about Apple's throttling and iOS limitations for older handsets. Think I'll persevere with the 5S until September and then either think about a screen replacement or look to pick up a 7/8 with a view to getting something new in 2020.

Thanks,
    Olly

Craftsman
    I've got an XS and my wife has the XR, the main differences are the camera, the size and the screen.

The XR is a little bigger, so has a bigger screen, but is slightly lower quality, but that makes it cheaper to replace if you drop it again. The biggest difference is the camera, the XS has 2 lenses, so has an optical 2x zoom, which makes a huge difference.

Having said that, there's not massive differences between the phones, and certainly not enough to justify the cost. However, as it's been said, there will be a new one announced in a couple of weeks, with it being available early October, so it's definitely worth waiting, even if it's just to get a cheaper current model.

Master
    If it was satisfactory before dropping it then just get it repaired. If it was having battery issues (that's what killed my 2 previous phones) or you just fancy a change then I'd wait as you'll either get the latest hotness or an older iteration cheaper.

Personally I tend to keep a phone for 2 or 3 years and then update to the latest version.

Master
    Bear in mind that everything after the 7 presents a bit of an issue if you want to change the battery yourself.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Macrumors is hinting that 2019 phones will not be much different from current offerings and the next significant update will be in 2020 when, amongst other things 5g will be available. I’m looking to hang on to my 3 year old SE until then.

When my daughter dropped her 7 not only did she smash the screen but damaged the chassis as well so replacement screen was not an option. Apple did a part ex for a new phone at cost of c.£300. Might be worth asking the question?

Craftsman
    Get it repaired, I broke my screen earlier in the year and got a new one fitted. Then if you want a new phone or wait for a 5g one, you can sell the 6s

Craftsman

Self repair

It is surprisingly easy to do yourself but some of the 3rd party digitizers are not the best quality and unless you’re on a budget its worth spending a bit more and getting a genuine Apple part or letting them do it.

IPhone Question

I’d wait until the new phones are released and then watch the prices of older models drop a little. Looking online the XR seems to be the suggested option - it has a better battery than the other models and the screen looks fine unless you hold it next to an XS and look critically. A friend has an XR and as far as he’s concerned the battery lasting nearly 2 days makes it a no brainer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good timng. I was about to buy a 7 plus but reading this I will wait a few weeks as they may drop the prices

Blog Entries
    Had my XR for nearly a year and it’s a great bit of kit coming from 6S plus.

The XS was too small for me and the XS plus just too big and pricey. The XR is a perfect compromise and the battery is amazing.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Good timng. I was about to buy a 7 plus but reading this I will wait a few weeks as they may drop the prices
    The new ones will probably be available mid October.

Craftsman
    Another consideration with some of the newer iPhones (X) is that they don't have a headphone socket

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    .......If buying used ensure you ask what the Battery Health figure is; anything under about 85% indicates a tired battery so factor in a replacement - £45 I believe through an Apple
    Store.
    £65 battery replacement on X and XS

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Another consideration with some of the newer iPhones (X) is that they don't have a headphone socket
    Good point! I had forgotten that! What was the last model with?

Journeyman
    I think the last model with headphone socket is 6S

I have an SE and I’m going to run it ‘tIl it drops. I don’t like big screens so it does me just fine :-)

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    I think the last model with headphone socket is 6S
    As above and also the SE. In reality a non problem as you simply attach a dongle to your phones and off you go. Of course you can't listen and charge at the same time, and I thought this would be at the least an annoyance, but in reality it's not a problem at all - for me.
    F.T.F.A.

I tried do-it-yourself screen repair kit but it was a nightmare. Could not get it to work. Then I went from SE to 8 and have not noticed the size difference much. No headphone jack is slightly annoying, but I'm happy with wireless Bluetooth headphones. Also battery in newer phone is better. But like others I'd wait until latest phones are announced and previous model prices drop.

And with SE vs 8, wireless charging on 8 is nice.