closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Adverts in Tapatalk

Adverts in Tapatalk

I've just started getting adverts in the Tapatalk app. Have I been lucky so far or is it new for all?

Cheers,
    Adam

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    I've just started getting adverts in the Tapatalk app. Have I been lucky so far or is it new for all?

Cheers,
    Adam

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Ditto,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Yup me too. It's really intrusive.

I started getting them a few weeks ago and you are right they are very intrusive and it spoils the experience. I’ve started using the dedicated TZ app to read the forum and you don’t get them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I’ve had them on Tapatalk for about a month. Very irritating at first, but now I just accept it and scroll past them.
    Something else I’ve been getting on Tapatalk is when I click backpage to return to the index it’s opens up a page saying “ like this? Give (forum members name) some Kin. You have 20 Kin left.”
    I have no idea what this “Kin” is and have to shut the app to remove the Kin notification.
    Anyone else being hit with Kin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    IMG_5701.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a cross to close, top right.

Master
    Same here - and I think I only started seeing the ads yesterday. The ads have been there for Watchuseek and TRF via the Tapatalk app for ages now so I guess the forum owner has changed something?

Not a big issue as you do see past them but signing up is like £1/month for the ad-free experience so not too bad.

I use Blokada on my (Android) phone and I never see any ads in Tapatalk - or anywhere else.

Same here for last month. Probably a drive to get us to switch to 'Premium'.

Ads on website also more virulent recently, having to tweak ad-blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I use Blokada on my (Android) phone and I never see any ads in Tapatalk - or anywhere else.
    Is this just an ad blocker or something more? Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Is this just an ad blocker or something more? Looks good.
    I'm just using it as a (free) ad blocker and DNS provider, but they do also offer a (paid for) VPN.

Lots of good info about it on
    https://old.reddit.com/r/blokada/

I'm just using it as a (free) ad blocker and DNS provider, but they do also offer a (paid for) VPN.

Lots of good info about it on
    https://old.reddit.com/r/blokada/
    Thanks! How do you enable it on Tapatalk?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Thanks! How do you enable it on Tapatalk?
    You don't specifically enable it for Tapatalk - basically it acts as a man-in-the-middle and all your internet traffic goes through it.

There are various lists of ad-hosting sites available - I currently subscribe to 6 of them (StevenBlack Unified, Energised Blu, Goodbye Ads, AdAway, Social hosts file, Coin Blocker), although there are lots more available (they are all integrated into the app and you just click to enable them, after which they automatically update themselves). Whenever an app (Talkpatalk or any other) tries to access one of these ad-hosting sites, it blocks the connection. You can also Whitelist or Blacklist specific apps if you are having any problems.

It provides a notification showing which sites it has blocked - I'm currently at 433,340 (!) connection attempts blocked, the most recent being ssl.google-analytics.com.

https://blokada.org/index.html

Master
    [COLOR=#000080]You don't specifically enable it for Tapatalk - basically it acts as a man-in-the-middle and all your internet traffic goes through it.
    Sounds good, but I'm a tech-noob - does that mean it can potentially see all your passwords etc as all internet traffic goes through it?

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Sounds good, but I'm a tech-noob - does that mean it can potentially see all your passwords etc as all internet traffic goes through it?
    Sorry - I described it badly. It's actually all DNS requests that it intercepts - if that request is for a site which is in one of your lists, then it's blocked - so Blokada will never get to see passwords.

It also allows you to choose which DNS server to use for those sites which you don't block - there are 21 to choose from (I'm using CloudFlare).

Blokada is Open Source so (if you have the time, inclination and skillset) you can view the source code. I'm not aware of any particular security concerns with it.

Master
    Thanks for that sir. I wonder how it works money wise.. do these ads help generate income for the owner of the forum, cos if it does I'd rather keep the ads on. If we use a blocker, will it impede that?

Pay for Tapatalk premium they'll stop.