closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oh sod the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    On the other hand, if people waited the greys wouldn’t have a model and you’d get one at retail. Getting the ‘rich’ Instagram generation to do that is another story.
    Grey's don't only sell above RRP. A lot of watches available unworn in stickers for 20-30% off RRP. Realistically ADs sell for RRP and Grey's sell for the market price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Grey's don't only sell above RRP. A lot of watches available unworn in stickers for 20-30% off RRP. Realistically ADs sell for RRP and Grey's sell for the market price.
    That is 100% correct and that is why they thrive, they are capitalism in its purist sense.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Exactly right.

Really, it depends on your habit whether market rate is a good idea or not.
    If you plan to keep permanently in situ its worth waiting IF you're confident that the model isn't going to be discontinued. If it is, your hand will be forced to pay or forget it anyway.
    If you're the type to keep for a few years and then move on to something else, market rate isn't as horrendous because its continually climbing at the moment. Im sure many people have their fingers crossed for a bubble burst but there's no sign of it in Rolex yet. Patek is having a bit of a climb down but that's about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Am I the only person who enjoys the wait? Everything is so instant nowadays, we don't wait for much, don't have to save up anymore and I think it's taken some of the fun out of buying things, especially expensive things.
    I think I could if I believed in it, that is, if there was an actual waiting list and I had a place on it that I could trust, and monitor. Even if one was 726th on the Daytona list at the local AD, it might be diverting to check in occasionally and see how many places one had climbed due to sales, declines, non-answers etc. But when the wait is determined by how often one buys other stuff and pops in to demean oneself by affirming ongoing commitment to the purchase, it's pleasure-sapping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I think I could if I believed in it, that is, if there was an actual waiting list and I had a place on it that I could trust, and monitor. Even if one was 726th on the Daytona list at the local AD, it might be diverting to check in occasionally and see how many places one had climbed due to sales, declines, non-answers etc. But when the wait is determined by how often one buys other stuff and pops in to demean oneself by affirming ongoing commitment to the purchase, it's pleasure-sapping.
    Agree with this, unfortunately all the expression of interest cards I have filled out over the last couple of years have ended up in the bin the second I stepped out of the shop. It's a fact I fully accept as reality, and no longer have any issue with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Agree with this, unfortunately all the expression of interest cards I have filled out over the last couple of years have ended up in the bin the second I stepped out of the shop. It's a fact I fully accept as reality, and no longer have any issue with.
    Never filled a card in yet , made my interest clear on day one of the Basel release , got a Pepsi last year and a BLNR last month .

To add to other watches in my collection, the withholding of the guarantee card is irrelevant to me , removal of the stickers isn’t to my liking though.

The dealers can do what they please in reality, if you don’t agree they’d just offer the watch to the next on the list , they’ll still sell it the same day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Never filled a card in yet , made my interest clear on day one of the Basel release , got a Pepsi last year and a BLNR last month .

To add to other watches in my collection, the withholding of the guarantee card is irrelevant to me , removal of the stickers isn’t to my liking though.

The dealers can do what they please in reality, if you don’t agree they’d just offer the watch to the next on the list , they’ll still sell it the same day.
    Yeah you got lucky, well done. Like i say its a reality i'm more than comfortable with, it's those that get upset by it that I can't work out.

oh sod the wait.
    That's the idea. It sorts out the men from the boys, and the real Rolex customers from the tyre-kickers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    That's the idea. It sorts out the men from the boys, and the real Rolex customers from the tyre-kickers.
    To a certain extent. I bought 2 of mine through greys and paid the overs as I felt at the time that it was acceptable. However, I'm now looking for a ND Sub and I (for some reason) can't seem to stomach the overs some greys are asking for. I'm not 100% what's stopping me, this time around it just seems too much.

But congrats to the OP - I admire your attitude and have employed it myself in the past!

Craftsman
    I’ve read on numerous posts that the AD should be the place for your first Rolex purchase. Been on the list for a Submariner since March and despite being walking distance from my AD made a recent Tudor purchase (it didn’t scratch the itch) am none the wiser as to when l’ll get the call. I don’t mind waiting as long as I have a timeframe. I’ll wait a bit longer before I give up on the AD route

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    To a certain extent. I bought 2 of mine through greys and paid the overs as I felt at the time that it was acceptable. However, I'm now looking for a ND Sub and I (for some reason) can't seem to stomach the overs some greys are asking for. I'm not 100% what's stopping me, this time around it just seems too much.

But congrats to the OP - I admire your attitude and have employed it myself in the past!

Thanks
    Now ive just got to put my hand in my pocket and make a choice between the two.
    I look at one and think that one , then the other and change my mind . And no I sure as heck cant afford both !

What I will be doing though , almost out of interest is pop back into my AD this weekend and try to have another chat . As I said , ive bought several from them so im not a newbie but I feel like say " ok , thanks for you help so far but im keen enough to go either to the secondhand market or grey to get either of these two . "

Now im sure they will just smile and politely wish me good luck but its worth a try . It might yield better firmer information on availability or at worst they may link me to a deal via a secondhand one in their chain of stores

Madness. Mass produced watches for the price of a car that are apparently ‘really hard to get’ even though we all know it’s a marketing ploy. I bought and sold so many watches until I realised most of it’s ‘the thrill of the chase’ and I get the same pleasure from a £300 watch. All this enabling doesn’t make it any less silly, why do people pander to it all? - well, I guess I did for a while but now I just don’t get it?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Madness. Mass produced watches for the price of a car that are apparently ‘really hard to get’ even though we all know it’s a marketing ploy. I bought and sold so many watches until I realised most of it’s ‘the thrill of the chase’ and I get the same pleasure from a £300 watch. All this enabling doesn’t make it any less silly, why do people pander to it all? - well, I guess I did for a while but now I just don’t get it?!?

I too get the same pleasure from watches costing £300 odd. I also enjoy owning Rolex watches. And Omegas and Seiko and.............
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Another facet in being happy is to buy only what you really want and not to buy some other stuff just because it is there.
    This.

I think I'm not alone in having learned this the hard way. Pay more for something you want, or wait until you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    I’ve read on numerous posts that the AD should be the place for your first Rolex purchase. Been on the list for a Submariner since March and despite being walking distance from my AD made a recent Tudor purchase (it didn’t scratch the itch) am none the wiser as to when l’ll get the call. I don’t mind waiting as long as I have a timeframe. I’ll wait a bit longer before I give up on the AD route
    I waited, and was eventually told I'll have to buy another watch at full price to get access

I caved in, but got two watches for the price of one on the grey market...

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I waited, and was eventually told I'll have to buy another watch at full price to get access

I caved in, but got two watches for the price of one on the grey market...
    Woop woop as Americans might say.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I was willing to wait but my local ADs son took over the running and my place in the list changed to an express of interest. I was told I would have to spend approx 300,000 to be considered for a Daytona.
    With that business strategy, I'm sure he'll do very well. I'm sure his father will be thrilled he let his son take over.

I feel the world isn't going to change anytime soon as far as Rolex is concerned. I paid above retail for my SD and have had the pleasure of owning it for 8 months or so now. Nothing is certain but as the months roll by I imagine that RRP will gradually come up to what I paid and then go beyond it.

I've just come through Frankfurt Airport and the AD has next to nothing. About 7 unpopular watches spaced out so far some have a display case all to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I too get the same pleasure from watches costing £300 odd. I also enjoy owning Rolex watches. And Omegas and Seiko and.............
    Good for you. It’s your money, spend it how you like. I should try and avoid threads like this - it’s just too easy to wind up Rolex fans. I’ve totally lost interest in spending much money on watches, having bought and sold a couple of dozen ‘grail’ Rolex watches I never really bonded with over the years - and coming to the conclusion I can’t really like them that much, almost overnight. All those came and went, I never lost any money - and they were £2-3k and pretty readily available. Now they’ve become much more expensive, there’s all this waiting list and AD ‘we’ll keep the guarantee’ nonsense and - having lost the watch mojo - I can’t understand the hype and enthusiasm. 10 years ago I’d probably be all over it - now I just don’t get the pleasure from hunting for, buying and wearing an expensive watch - I guess I’ve changed!

Blog Entries
    Good for you. It’s your money, spend it how you like. I should try and avoid threads like this - it’s just too easy to wind up Rolex fans. I’ve totally lost interest in spending much money on watches, having bought and sold a couple of dozen ‘grail’ Rolex watches I never really bonded with over the years - and coming to the conclusion I can’t really like them that much, almost overnight. All those came and went, I never lost any money - and they were £2-3k and pretty readily available. Now they’ve become much more expensive, there’s all this waiting list and AD ‘we’ll keep the guarantee’ nonsense and - having lost the watch mojo - I can’t understand the hype and enthusiasm. 10 years ago I’d probably be all over it - now I just don’t get the pleasure from hunting for, buying and wearing an expensive watch - I guess I’ve changed!

Why would you want to 'wind up Rolex fans' anymore than 'Seiko fans' or Patek Phillipe fans' or 'Panerai fans'? They're all just watches at the end of the day. As I stated earlier I like quite a few different brands, and that list is getting bigger all the time. The Rolex 'waiting list' etc merry go round is just something associated with the brand, the watches are still very good watches.

Perhaps my interest in watches will decline like you, perhaps not, but hey it's still a good journey to me.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Half the threads on this forum are about Rolex, yes they are good watches but the ‘mythos’ built around them is - imho - rather tiresome and after a while the same threads come round and round with increasing regularity. Nothing at all wrong with Rolex - but there’s just so much bs on this forum around them. Hey ho.

Half the threads on this forum are about Rolex, yes they are good watches but the ‘mythos’ built around them is - imho - rather tiresome and after a while the same threads come round and round with increasing regularity. Nothing at all wrong with Rolex - but there’s just so much bs on this forum around them. Hey ho.

Looks to me as though you are the only person getting wound up.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Looks to me as though you are the only person getting wound up.
    Thanks for your insight. As a grown man it takes a lot more than a discussion about watches to wind me up, this site used to be a fun diversion but now you say anything the hive mind disagrees with and you get sniping comments like yours. I think I’ll leave you to it sunshine

Thanks for your insight. As a grown man it takes a lot more than a discussion about watches to wind me up, this site used to be a fun diversion but now you say anything the hive mind disagrees with and you get sniping comments like yours. I think I’ll leave you to it sunshine

No worries snowflake

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Thanks
    I look at one and think that one , then the other and change my mind . And no I sure as heck cant afford both !
    To get somewhat back on topic...I followed your lead and put a deposit down on a sub. I've always wanted one and it's a scratch I just have to itch. No point (for me) waiting any longer.

Good luck making your decision :)

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    No worries snowflake
    That made me smile

Journeyman
    You can't wear a place on the waiting list.....

Quote Originally Posted by Elesmy View Post
    You can't wear a place on the waiting list.....
    So true!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

What I will be doing though , almost out of interest is pop back into my AD this weekend and try to have another chat . As I said , ive bought several from them so im not a newbie but I feel like say " ok , thanks for you help so far but im keen enough to go either to the secondhand market or grey to get either of these two . "

Now im sure they will just smile and politely wish me good luck but its worth a try . It might yield better firmer information on availability or at worst they may link me to a deal via a secondhand one in their chain of stores
    So what did you purchase?

Journeyman
    I suspect I'm in a minority here but I just couldn't bring myself to pay in some cases well over double retail for a watch.

I like Rolex, I've owned a few and I'd buy more (from a proper AD) but 24k for a Daytona? 19k for a blue SkyDweller?

It's not just about the money, I've paid more for watches in the past, it's just what buying it would likely feel like.

Every time I looked at the watch I'd be reminded of how difficult it was to enter my pin number while holding onto my ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    Every time I looked at the watch I'd be reminded of how difficult it was to enter my pin number while holding onto my ankles.
    It could be a fond memory of the time you managed to enter your PIN with your nose?

I guess it's all relative. I've only paid over retail once for a watch and it was a Seiko (from here). Think I paid about £130-£150 more than RRP and I don't regret it. Couldn't add a zero and double it for a Rolex though, that would be too much for me personally but I accept Grey's do sell for market value although sometimes their asking prices may be a little different from their sold prices.

AD's demanding you spend £££££ to be "considered" to have a stab at getting a Submariner is just plain blackmail, if it swings the other way I'm sure they will not be happy if people start offering £5k for a £9k watch.

I own quite a few different brands/makes of watch and I have to say I really enjoy all of them, I dont really think about the value as in I'm not worried about wearing an expensive watch, but my favourite is my Submariner 14060, its just a perfect size on my wrist, feels quite light but well made and looks bloody lovely, yes its a Rolex but nothing else has the same wrist presence as that watch, my vintage Speedy pro is close and some days I prefer that.

In the last 3 years I have seen a couple of people close to me pass away which changes your outlook on life, if you really want something that much its better to know you achieved it and enjoyed it rather than count the money in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    AD's demanding you spend £££££ to be "considered" to have a stab at getting a Submariner is just plain blackmail, if it swings the other way I'm sure they will not be happy if people start offering £5k for a £9k watch.

I own quite a few different brands/makes of watch and I have to say I really enjoy all of them, I dont really think about the value as in I'm not worried about wearing an expensive watch, but my favourite is my Submariner 14060, its just a perfect size on my wrist, feels quite light but well made and looks bloody lovely, yes its a Rolex but nothing else has the same wrist presence as that watch, my vintage Speedy pro is close and some days I prefer that.

In the last 3 years I have seen a couple of people close to me pass away which changes your outlook on life, if you really want something that much its better to know you achieved it and enjoyed it rather than count the money in the bank.
    You mentioned the 14060 which coincidently is the watch I’ve been shamelessly staring at for the past couple of weeks at work.

It’s my work colleague’s and it looks absolutely fantastic. Exactly as you describe, perfect proportions yet with an understated presence that still calls out.

When comparing to the 16610 the 14060 looks slicker on the wrist. Are the proportions different? Or is it the cyclops that’s overly influencing the look?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    So what did you purchase?
    The truth ???
    A Ducati 1098 R.
    I heard about it from a friend that it was coming up for sale, and it was the right price so the watch fund was emptied and the garage gained another Ducati.

The truth ???
    A Ducati 1098 R.
    I heard about it from a friend that it was coming up for sale, and it was the right price so the watch fund was emptied and the garage gained another Ducati.
    Nice move ,any pics?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got quite a lot of stick for buying a White Ceramic Daytona for 15K in July 2018. Fortunately I could afford it so bit the bullet (profit on my previous SS version also softened the blow)

Reality is I would never get one at list and absurdly it now looks like a bargain.

I wouldn’t do the same for many other Rolex Sport models however these are mad times and I just cant see any end to this crazy situation.