closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh sod the wait.

Craftsman

oh sod the wait.

So I think I'm going to give in to it all. All this waiting list talk , over priced 'secondhand ' prices , it's all getting a bit too much for me.

So im just going to say sod it and pay up I think. The two I like are the hardest to get hold of course but we can all sit here and moan and huff and puff all year long but its one life isn't it.

Happy days I say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    So I think I'm going to give in to it all. All this waiting list talk , over priced 'secondhand ' prices , it's all getting a bit too much for me.

So im just going to say sod it and pay up I think. The two I like are the hardest to get hold of course but we can all sit here and moan and huff and puff all year long but its one life isn't it.

Happy days I say.
    Life is too short to wait for something you want. If you really really really want, buy it today and put a smile on your face.

Master
    On the other hand, if people waited the greys wouldn’t have a model and you’d get one at retail. Getting the ‘rich’ Instagram generation to do that is another story.

Master

Happy days I say.
    Yes i have done that...Rolex 126600 and paid a little over RRP which i said i never would.

Worked on the theory that another price rise would cover what i paid over RRP plus i have the watch i have been after for over two years.

Life is too short.

What is it you are after ???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    On the other hand, if people waited the greys wouldn’t have a model and you’d get one at retail. Getting the ‘rich’ Instagram generation to do that is another story.
    It's the market and no one can buck the market. It has always been thus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Yes i have done that...Rolex 126600 and paid a little over RRP which i said i never would.

Worked on the theory that another price rise would cover what i paid over RRP plus i have the watch i have been after for over two years.

Life is too short.

What is it you are after ???
    Two good points often overlooked, albeit the revulsion at paying over RRP is understandable.

Master

What's the "little"?

List is £8,700 and WF have two: £11,950 and £12,650 - +37% and +45% premium. I know we are in the unknown but I would be surprised to see those increases in list for a few years yet.

If I wanted a watch I might pay a fraction over just to avoid the hassle of chasing the AD every month. So, for me, maybe a couple of hundred tops.

Obviously everyone is entitled to do what they want and no-one can say they are wrong.

Craftsman
    Its far cheaper paying the grey market prices then playing the ADs package nonsense or supposed purchase history requirements.

Just for a non date sub one AD wanted me to spend 26k on a PM piece.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    If you have the means and don’t mind paying the asking price from grey dealers then go for it. Why not. Many, like me, can’t stomach the sheer amount above rrp.

If only there were other watch brands to choose from :(

Master
    I wasn't prepared to pay £6k (grey price vs I think something like £4,800 list) for a steel Daytona, in the noughties. Both prices look a steal these days.

So I think if the OP has an itch to scratch then you've the choice of playing games with ADs or just stomping up a premium for getting on with life - the latter has a lot going for it and kudos to anyone who makes that as an informed choice.

Personally though I do feel that the Rolex supply/demand situation (and it's knock on to used/older prices) is just so boring now, I simply cannot be arsed and have changed brands completely so that I can just enjoy the watches. For investment I top-up my pension, for enjoyment I buy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    You are awful,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Another facet in being happy is to buy only what you really want and not to buy some other stuff just because it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Another facet in being happy is to buy only what you really want and not to buy some other stuff just because it is there.
    Is it really possible that Rolex is the only brand that can bring a man happiness? Admittedly I do have a Rolex but I only bought it purely because I am known at work as "that guy with all the watches" and I got sick of being asked if I owned a Rolex and saying no. Now I can put my hand on my heart and proudly proclaim "yes, but there's better stuff that's a lot cheaper out there.".

Happy days I say.
    Quite right.
    What models are you going for?

Is it really possible that Rolex is the only brand that can bring a man happiness? Admittedly I do have a Rolex but I only bought it purely because I am known at work as "that guy with all the watches" and I got sick of being asked if I owned a Rolex and saying no. Now I can put my hand on my heart and proudly proclaim "yes, but there's better stuff that's a lot cheaper out there.".
    As a forum for enthusiasts it's a bit of a shame that so many threads revolve around that particular fashion brand,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Quite right.
    What models are you going for?

Unfortunately its the usual Hulk or a D Blue . Yes yes , I know . I can afford one just about

Its the colours you see .
    Of course there are plenty of other makes and models out there , all great watches but , well you know how it is and the joy of owning such a piece for me isn't how much you did or didn't pay but what you get .

Is it possible that grown up man feel threatened by the popularity of a certain brand?
    Rolex is there. Deal with it. Churlish to constantly moan about it and complaining about it or trying to pull it down.
    Nobody looks smarter or more knowledgeable by trying to belittle a brand.
    I agree far too much time and threads are devoted to discussing meaningless aspects of Rolex and wish it would be a little less.
    Lots of different brands out there that can give one satisfaction.
    If Rolex is not for you and someone asks you about it- very easy to say- No, it doesn’t interest me. My interests lie with other watches. Unless you are uncomfortable saying Rolex is not for you or if you are worried people will think less of you if you don’t like Rolex.
    There are a lot of brands and models that are very popular here but don’t do a thing for me. When I see those discussed, I feel may be it is just me, they are probably good watches that I am unable to appreciate.

Lampoc and others have opened my eyes regarding a certain brand which I was unable to appreciate before.

OP, go with a grey dealer if you can afford it. You only live once.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 20th August 2019 at 14:51.

Master
    I got my Daytona’s grey and boy am I glad I did now; as it seems very reasonably priced now. Been offered £4.5k over what I paid if I wanted to sell outright. I have enjoyed wearing and now when my AD waffles and offers me some rubbish to buy. I can simply say no, no more buying pish on the promise of getting something I want.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I got my Daytona’s grey and boy am I glad I did now; as it seems very reasonably priced now. Been offered £4.5k over what I paid if I wanted to sell outright. I have enjoyed wearing and now when my AD waffles and offers me some rubbish to buy. I can simply say no, no more buying pish on the promise of getting something I want.
    Im convinced that both the two im looking at have peaked . there comes a time when people wont pay it above RRP and more importantly they are still making them . It would be different if not being produced any more.

SOunds like you have done well on yours and good for you but this really isn't a money thing, its a want thing!

Master
    Im convinced that both the two im looking at have peaked . there comes a time when people wont pay it above RRP and more importantly they are still making them . It would be different if not being produced any more.

SOunds like you have done well on yours and good for you but this really isn't a money thing, its a want thing!
    It’s not about money either for me, I was willing to wait but my local ADs son took over the running and my place in the list changed to an express of interest. I was told I would have to spend approx 300,000 to be considered for a Daytona. So I decided enough was enough and went and got the watch’s I wanted. No messing around and I have enjoyed my watches since, the other half was not so convinced; so it’s nice to be able to show my better half that I did ok and worst comes to it, I have saved money by not having to buy watches I am not sure about for the lure of the golden ticket.

Blog Entries
    300k to become eligible to buy a watch, flippin' nora!

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    300k to become eligible to buy a watch, flippin' nora!
    Maybe for something a Patek Grand Complication, but definitely not for a mass-produced £10k steel chronograph.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As a forum for enthusiasts it's a bit of a shame that so many threads revolve around that particular fashion brand,
    Fashion is cheap and fleeting, it doesn't endure.
    Perhaps this is why Rolex remains high on the chain.

Just buy something else, I wanted BLNR for ages, still on the waiting list at 2 AD for almost 3 years now and nothing. Then saw one on a good client and had a chat with him and felt a bit underwhelmed. I think I just got caught up in the hysteria over the BLNR then when I saw and handled one for awhile it did nothing for me. So got a Zenith and love it.

You probably have to make an effort to look stupid or gullible enough for someone to ask you to spend 300k for a watch you can easily buy for 20k or so on the streets.

Master
    Lots of threads revolve around Rolex because it is a popular brand and it has many fans. Therefore common sense dictates that they will be the single biggest topic of conversation in any watch forum and no amount of moaning by you is going to change that. Just chill and learn to live with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You probably have to make an effort to look stupid or gullible enough for someone to ask you to spend 300k for a watch you can easily buy for 20k or so on the streets.
    That will never happen in the SC, we got the self appointed guardians of all watch sales here and they do their utmost to protect clueless idiots like us from being fleeced.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call Rolex a 'fashion brand'. A little too established over many years for that.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Lots of threads revolve around Rolex because it is a popular brand and it has many fans. Therefore common sense dictates that they will be the single biggest topic of conversation in any watch forum and no amount of moaning by you is going to change that. Just chill and learn to live with it.
    Could always start a thread about a watch brand you do like. It has been done I believe.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Could always start a thread about a watch brand you do like. It has been done I believe.
    I have started quite a few threads. I like Rolex but I try not to make it obvious.

When someone has something interesting to say about the brand that's fine but it's just the same tripe 2-3 times a week.

Master
    When someone has something interesting to say about the brand that's fine but it's just the same tripe 2-3 times a week.
    Then, has been said before - don't read it and move onto something else - easy peasy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post

And that's what Rolex are trying to stop by reducing the dealer numbers. The smaller/independent dealers use tricks like this, which is worse than making people wait, I doubt very much the large chains (eg WoS) would try this, however, I realise that buying from them will always help.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Its far cheaper paying the grey market prices then playing the ADs package nonsense or supposed purchase history requirements.

Sorry, but I find that adage to be complete nonsense.

I like Rolex but I try not to make it obvious.
    Sorry Mick, you are not doing great at this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Am I the only person who enjoys the wait? Everything is so instant nowadays, we don't wait for much, don't have to save up anymore and I think it's taken some of the fun out of buying things, especially expensive things.

I enjoy speaking to the AD, I like to pop in to see them, sometimes they show me something that's come in for another customer, so I get to drool over some lovely watches, and then when the call comes, the feeling is great, and we know each other well enough, that I don't need to feel stupid if I scream with excitement.

All of that is much better than clicking 'Buy' and waiting until it arrives the following day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    What's the "little"?

List is £8,700 and WF have two: £11,950 and £12,650 - +37% and +45% premium. I know we are in the unknown but I would be surprised to see those increases in list for a few years yet.

If I wanted a watch I might pay a fraction over just to avoid the hassle of chasing the AD every month. So, for me, maybe a couple of hundred tops.

Obviously everyone is entitled to do what they want and no-one can say they are wrong.
    Under £9500 from a WTB a few weeks ago.

They are out there if you are prepared to hunt for them.

Mark

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Am I the only person who enjoys the wait? Everything is so instant nowadays, we don't wait for much, don't have to save up anymore and I think it's taken some of the fun out of buying things, especially expensive things.

I enjoy speaking to the AD, I like to pop in to see them, sometimes they show me something that's come in for another customer, so I get to drool over some lovely watches, and then when the call comes, the feeling is great, and we know each other well enough, that I don't need to feel stupid if I scream with excitement.

All of that is much better than clicking 'Buy' and waiting until it arrives the following day.
    If I knew how long the wait was then maybe, yes but a recent trip into my local AD left me feeling very underwhelmed.

- - - Updated - - -

If I knew how long the wait was then maybe, yes but a recent trip into my local AD left me feeling very underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I wouldn't call Rolex a 'fashion brand'. A little too established over many years for that.
    Sadly it has become "the watch" to be seen wearing these days, which by virtue makes it a fashion accessory for most wearers worldwide.

Craftsman
    And that's what Rolex are trying to stop by reducing the dealer numbers. The smaller/independent dealers use tricks like this, which is worse than making people wait, I doubt very much the large chains (eg WoS) would try this, however, I realise that buying from them will always help.
    It was a large chain........they all play this game.

Craftsman
    It was a large chain........they all play this game.

Really? That's incredible, I didn't think they'd do that. Did they have the sub in stock, or was that to go on the list?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Sadly it has become "the watch" to be seen wearing these days, which by virtue makes it a fashion accessory for most wearers worldwide.
    I think it's always been 'the watch', but many more people nowadays are willing to pay for a premium watch, and whether that's because there are more people genuinely interested in horology, or because there are more people who like to display their 'wealth', is a different topic of discussion.

Craftsman
    Really? That's incredible, I didn't think they'd do that. Did they have the sub in stock, or was that to go on the list?
    In stock........ It suddenly appeared when my attention was drawn to a PM piece.

Another chain wanted me to spend 5k on jewellery or 10k ish on a ladies datejust before they would CONSIDER my interests for a sub, to which they would not guarantee me a time frame.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sorry Mick, you are not doing great at this.
    Fair enough but I cannot be good at everything.

Master
    Under £9500 from a WTB a few weeks ago.
    That's very reasonable (in the sense of well below what you usually see them offered at) and would see you through the next (impending?) RRP increase. So I'm sure a good deal.

Master
    Am I the only person who enjoys the wait?
    Anticipation can be part of the fun but not when (a) you may have to wait years and years and (b) the day may well never come.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Anticipation can be part of the fun but not when (a) you may have to wait years and years and (b) the day may well never come.
    And (c) could die before it arrives....

I got the deep blue and 50th seadweller at over rrp, around dealer trading in offer prices ,but was happy with that as they are hot watches.I want them long term because I like them not as an investment.If you can stretch to it do it ,once on the wrist the price paid fades

Master
    And (c) could die before it arrives....
    There is that too!