closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £9k Gshock

£9k Gshock

Came across this today in Bangkok. Someone clearly knows more than I do as he bought 5 on the spot - a cool £45k. Also the concession opposite still had around 5 of those re-edition vintage turtles

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Saw in the "Show us your G-Shocks" thread that the MR-G cases are made in the same workshop as the GS and Credit cases. Very cool, although £9k quite a lot to stomach. Maybe SL knows the story behind this one.

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-mr...d-like-finish/

”My” local AD has one in stock and I had a look at it recently,

But at that price tag I personally prefer the MRG-G2000HA which has the same list price (which actually comes in at ~ £6.800 here in Sweden,

(though IIRC the GA model can possibly be sold with an artisan made sword as part the kit and that might come at a higher price ofc).

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-mr...d-like-finish/

”My” local AD has one in stock and I had a look at it recently,

But at that price tag I personally prefer the MRG-G2000HA which has the same list price (which actually comes in at ~ £6.800 here in Sweden,

(though IIRC the GA model can possibly be sold with an artisan made sword as part the kit and that might come at a higher price ofc).
    Wow. 320k Thai Baht RRP here but add on the 20% Vat and it is near £10k.

Interestingly they were doing 30% off the Seiko vintage diver re-edition as there is a watch fair promo going on. Same with all the Grand Seikos and they had some Ltd edition stuff as well including some Gundam Tunas at horrendous prices.

Edited to add that the Patek AD in the Erawan Mall opposite had a 5167 on rubber in stock. However given the poor exchange rate vs £ plus 20% Vat (less 6% VAT clawback at BKK airport) then it would end up costing around £19k landed in the UK which is just too much for £14k watch.

Last edited by ryanb741; 20th August 2019 at 08:07.

Master
    I was looking for a new beater.

Master
    They are quite something looking at judges by the pictures.

I didn’t even know they existed so thanks for the posts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    A ten grand Casio?................... Lol!
    Last edited by KavKav; 20th August 2019 at 08:32.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    A ten grand Casio?................... Lol!
    What about a 100k Seiko? (Credor)

It’s just nuts to pay that much on a G Shock. Whatever floats your boat though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Of course it is. Similarly, it's nuts to pay more than a couple of hundred quid for any mas-produced steel watch.

The last Casio I bought was just short of £7, that's quite a range of prices.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Saw in the "Show us your G-Shocks" thread that the MR-G cases are made in the same workshop as the GS and Credit cases. Very cool, although £9k quite a lot to stomach. Maybe SL knows the story behind this one.
    Thought that was just the ‘special’ ones.

Master
    On the 5167. That is not too bad a price in reality. A lot of people would take it at that given where grey prices are and availability (lack of) at AD’s.

Ugly, ugly, ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thought that was just the ‘special’ ones.
    Apparently all MR-G models get the treatment. The thread did say Oceanus too but the Oceanus models are pretty cheap so I'm not sure it's all of them.

Fugly. 2 Dornbluths plus change, and the change will pay for travel to Kalbe + accommodation to pick them up in person.
    F.T.F.A.

He overpaid if he paid £9k for the MRG.

MRG's are fantastic watches, more than a match in materials, construction, quality and finishing compared to an equivalently priced Swiss offering. However, they are not the sort of watches that should be viewed as an investment, if that is part of the reason for purchasing one and if someone bought 5 at over RRP then I presume this was part of their motivation.

MRG's do not actually hold their value well. Many limited edition G Shocks do hold and actually increase sharply in value but not MRG's. The collectors market for them is not that big due to the high starting price.

MRG's, if bought to use and wear, should be bought used and let someone else take the hit. As an example I can currently see a Hammer Tone MRG (fabulous watch) for sale in France at a retailer, brand new. at 40% off RRP and it has been stuck there for months.

Mitch

Blog Entries
    The bandwagon is well and truly jumped on, all watch manufacturers now seem to think the way forward is to believe they are some kind of a Patek Philippe spin-off and regularly hike their prices on that basis.

Smugly and arrogantly considering the majority of their customer base is populated by idiots will eventually and certainly lead to their financial undoing. The watch industry would do well to consider that the popularity and public appreciation of mechanical watches was driven by generations of skilled and talented watchmakers, not ‘blu-sky pondering’ marketing desk jockeys!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Of course it is. Similarly, it's nuts to pay more than a couple of hundred quid for any mas-produced steel watch.
    I disagree with this. Even if it’s mas-produced (such as Rolex or Omega) you’re still paying for high quality in-house movements and quality of construction. That’s worth the money IMO.

£9k and the screws heads are all at different resting angles; very Hublot!

At that supposed level of finishing it’s very shoddy. They’re the only thing I’d see :(

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Came across this today in Bangkok. Someone clearly knows more than I do as he bought 5 on the spot - a cool £45k.

Maybe he bought them to stick in party bags!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    £9k and the screws heads are all at different resting angles; very Hublot!

At that supposed level of finishing it’s very shoddy. They’re the only thing I’d see :(
    Which watches have precisely aligned screw heads on the front or back? Don't quote AP as those use bolt heads on the front and they don't screw, they screw out from the back and those heads are not aligned.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Ugly, ugly, ugly!
    I've got to admit, I wouldn't want to buy that watch at any price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What about a 100k Seiko? (Credor)
    I think they can command prices up to three times that, can't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Which watches have precisely aligned screw heads on the front or back? Don't quote AP as those use bolt heads on the front and they don't screw, they screw out from the back and those heads are not aligned.

Mitch
    Bingo - 'timing' threads to get everything aligned is horrendously expensive and pointless IMO.

For the construction, MRGs hold their own to most watches in this category - a watch is more than just the movement and scorning quartz over automatic for simply being quartz is unjustified.

Doesn’t seem any more stupid than spending £5k on a tatty Rolex 14060M to me - at least it’s a bit different and individual!

Craftsman
    What would be the longevity of something like this though? I own (and love) a G-Shock but I'm acutely aware it's a throw away item-can these be repaired without butchering?

Forget the G I prefer the 6105 releases on the other pic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    A bargain direct from casio then

https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-g2000ga-1adr
    I'm certainly not in the market for one but for anybody interested

'Topcashback' are currently offering 15-20% on G-shock, so a further £800 ish off/back

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Wow. 320k Thai Baht RRP here but add on the 20% Vat and it is near £10k.

Interestingly they were doing 30% off the Seiko vintage diver re-edition as there is a watch fair promo going on. Same with all the Grand Seikos and they had some Ltd edition stuff as well including some Gundam Tunas at horrendous prices.

Edited to add that the Patek AD in the Erawan Mall opposite had a 5167 on rubber in stock. However given the poor exchange rate vs £ plus 20% Vat (less 6% VAT clawback at BKK airport) then it would end up costing around £19k landed in the UK which is just too much for £14k watch.

Just tried to shoot you a PM Ryan but inbox full!