closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Name on the List - How Does it Work

Name on the List - How Does it Work

Probably seems a daft question to those here who are experienced at this sort of thing. But have decided to take the plunge and go for a Rolex OP39, as it’s my 40th in January. Is it better to use a small AD, or a chain like Goldsmiths? Or just put my name down at numerous places? Also, with it not being a strictly sports model is the wait likely to be shorter or does anyone have an idea of timeframes? Like if I wanted one for Jan would I be better off putting my name down now?

Cheers in advance.

Two years in,,, brilliant.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Two years in,,, brilliant.
    ??

Kill me now.

It never seems to get any better

Master
    The Rolex waiting list saga has been covered to death here, so expect some dry responses. Initially the shortage and wait times was on stainless steel sports, this has effortlessly bled into OP’s and even Datejusts. If it was me I would visit as many AD s as possible, forget ringing them up they must all get numerous calls per day. You may fall lucky one of them may have one in the safe or shop stock.

AD’s don’t normally require deposits so spread your net wide, lastly watch sales cool slightly in the summer so now may be the best time to locate one.

Just my view

Jesus Christ. Look, this is a watch forum, I’m asking about a procedure that I might have to follow and ideas of a wait time of a particular model. I’ve no doubt the answers to those questions may be buried in the forum somewhere, but rather than spend ages sifting through is it a crime to ask the question? I don’t engage in Rolex articles as I’ve never been in that market, this is new territory for me so if people wanna be arrogant pr**ks about it just don’t bother responding.
    Last edited by davidj54; 19th August 2019 at 23:20.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    The Rolex waiting list saga has been covered to death here, so expect some dry responses. Initially the shortage and wait times was on stainless steel sports, this has effortlessly bled into OP’s and even Datejusts. If it was me I would visit as many AD s as possible, forget ringing them up they must all get numerous calls per day. You may fall lucky one of them may have one in the safe or shop stock.

AD’s don’t normally require deposits so spread your net wide, lastly watch sales cool slightly in the summer so now may be the best time to locate one.

Just my view
    Thanks for the sensible reply, I’ll take it on board. I know there are crazy wait lists for certain models, I was asking the question as I was under the impression the OPs were more easily gettable. I’ll visit a few ADs next time I’m in town for a chat, cheers.

Jesus Christ,
    The forum has a 'search function'!
    You've been a member for almost two years!
    Last edited by number2; 19th August 2019 at 22:50.

Jesus Christ,
    There's a 'search function'!
    I use the site on safari, rather than Tapatalk as it keeps crashing on my phone and the search function is really clunky. Are you the forum police or something mate?

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Jesus Christ. Look, this is a watch forum, I’m asking about a procedure that I might have to follow and ideas of a wait time of a particular model. I’ve no doubt the answers to those questions may be buried in the forum somewhere, but rather than spend ages sifting through is it a crime to ask the question? I don’t engage in Rolex articles as I’ve never been in that market, this is new territory for me so if people wanna be arrogant pr*cks about it just don’t bother responding.
    Dont swear in the open part of the forum.

Really though, it's not rocket science. You want to buy a loaf of bread, you go to a shop that sells loaves of bread. You want to buy a car, you go to a shop that sells cars. Why do you think a watch is different? Go to a shop that sells watches and they'll be able to answer any questions you have on their very specific procedure for buying a watch.

Jesus Christ,
    There's a 'search function'!
    Hehe. I await the next thread on this tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You have the best chance with an Independent in a smaller town or city. Lists don’t really exist but you may stick in their minds. You’l get one of these without too much fuss.

I use the site on safari, rather than Tapatalk as it keeps crashing on my phone and the search function is really clunky. Are you the forum police or something mate?
    No mate just one of the many that are these days fed up with the same question being asked day in day out, Rolex blah when can, blah where can blah blah. Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Dont swear in the open part of the forum.

Really though, it's not rocket science. You want to buy a loaf of bread, you go to a shop that sells loaves of bread. You want to buy a car, you go to a shop that sells cars. Why do you think a watch is different? Go to a shop that sells watches and they'll be able to answer any questions you have on their very specific procedure for buying a watch.
    I see. In which case it’s unacceptable to ask more experienced buyers on a related forum then? I won’t be going near an AD til next week so thought I’d ask those in the know. As the guy below says, I have indeed been a member for 2 years; made plenty of articles and had plenty of friendly chats about watches at the level I’ve been sitting at - Seiko, Steinhart, Tudor. All very pleasant and interesting. Ask for one bit of genuine advice about Rolex and people have a meltdown at you. Just ridiculous.

So you've taken no notice whatsoever about all the other threads associated with Rolex availability,

Craftsman
    White and Grape dial OP39 in Canterbury Goldsmiths yesterday.

Blog Entries
    If I were you I'd go to your nearest AD and explain to them which precise model you are interested in. I don't think there are such long waiting times for these. White and black dials have bigger markers so more lume if thats important. The grape and rhodium dials seem popular at the moment so might take longer. Better done in person than on the phone.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 19th August 2019 at 23:08. Reason: lume, lume not lime!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    I fail to see what is gained in making unpleasant ill- mannered responses to questions like this.

Why not put the same amount of effort into typing something helpful?

I enquired about availability of the OP36 recently and was amazed to find that these are becoming harder to source quickly.

Here’s my advice: tell us everyone which dial you’re looking for and be prepared to buy now. Ignore the sarcastic replies, don’t even dignify them with a response.

Master
    Jesus Christ. Look, this is a watch forum, I’m asking about a procedure that I might have to follow and ideas of a wait time of a particular model. I’ve no doubt the answers to those questions may be buried in the forum somewhere, but rather than spend ages sifting through is it a crime to ask the question? I don’t engage in Rolex articles as I’ve never been in that market, this is new territory for me so if people wanna be arrogant pricks about it just don’t bother responding.
    David

Just ignore them, they are yapping little puppies and I bet half of them don't even own a Rolex.

You asked a valid question and if they don't like it, they can just clear off and read something that does interest them.

They are just a small vocal minority and fortunately we have gentlemen's agreement in the forum, they are allowed to moan about everything and everybody and the rest of us are allowed to ignore them.

So you've taken no notice whatsoever about all the other threads associated with Rolex availability,
    I don’t use the forum that much full stop, fits and bursts. When I do I don’t go on Rolex threads because that’s never a market I’ve been in. The search function is useless on safari, I’ve tried it in the past. Just get over yourself mate - believe it or not it was a legitimate query, not something designed to personally antagonise you.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If I were you I'd go to your nearest AD and explain to them which precise model you are interested in. I don't think there are such long waiting times for these. White and black dials have bigger markers so more lume if thats important. The grape and rhodium dials seem popular at the moment so might take longer. Better done in person than on the phone.
    Hi, cheers - I’m set on the 39mm, black dial. Not for the lume just the general understated aesthetic. I’d never really considered an OP before and always had this notion Rolex was a bit beyond my budget. Then noticed them on a YouTube vid, did some digging and thought yes, that’s the one and it’s doable. Big bday soon so might as well push the boat out!

Master
    Nothing like trying one in the metal. Don’t rule out the 36mm either. With a bit of luck you’ll find a Dealer with both sizes in stock and then you’ll know if the 39mm is right.

Might not have the right dial at the time but they can always order you one in. I’d guess you’ll pick one up with a few weeks once you’re 100% certain.

Good luck

Blog Entries
    Hi, cheers - I’m set on the 39mm, black dial. Not for the lume just the general understated aesthetic. I’d never really considered an OP before and always had this notion Rolex was a bit beyond my budget. Then noticed them on a YouTube vid, did some digging and thought yes, that’s the one and it’s doable. Big bday soon so might as well push the boat out!
    Liked the look of the black dial when I had a look on the Rolex website. That and the white seemed to do it for me. They are great watches and I doubt you'll be disappointed if you get one. It's worth going that extra mile to get one in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Nothing like trying one in the metal. Don’t rule out the 36mm either. With a bit of luck you’ll find a Dealer with both sizes in stock and then you’ll know if the 39mm is right.

Might not have the right dial at the time but they can always order you one in. I’d guess you’ll pick one up with a few weeks once you’re 100% certain.

Good luck

Cheers mate👍

Liked the look of the black dial when I had a look on the Rolex website. That and the white seemed to do it for me. They are great watches and I doubt you'll be disappointed if you get one. It's worth going that extra mile to get one in my opinion.
    Yeah the white is beautiful too, really fresh and sporty looking. Ultimately though it’d be a one off big purchase for me so I think black would be the safer, more multi purpose bet. Agree though re going the extra mile. I’ve kind of run the gamut from Seiko to Tudor and many in between. Was heavily considering a new Seamaster for the 40th but then thought why not just push it a bit further and go for an OP. Made the decision and told the missus now so no going back!

I'm assuming you couldn't stretch to the Explorer? Both great watches, Explorer arguably more iconic but appreciate more expensive.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Yeah the white is beautiful too, really fresh and sporty looking. Ultimately though it’d be a one off big purchase for me so I think black would be the safer, more multi purpose bet. Agree though re going the extra mile. I’ve kind of run the gamut from Seiko to Tudor and many in between. Was heavily considering a new Seamaster for the 40th but then thought why not just push it a bit further and go for an OP. Made the decision and told the missus now so no going back!
    The Seamaster is a great watch, but if you prefer the OP then it answers the question of which one. And if you can get it past the missus it helps a lot. The bigger boxes they come in these days mean sneaking them past them can be extremely difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm assuming you couldn't stretch to the Explorer? Both great watches, Explorer arguably more iconic but appreciate more expensive.

Good luck.
    I could stretch to the Explorer but I actually prefer the OP39.

I used to think the 39mm MKII Explorer was a grail for me, but I’ve owned a Tudor Ranger the last 18 months and it’s kind of scratched that itch. I think the OP is a bit more understated which is what I really love about it.

You could try the well-known search engine, Google.

Type this into the Google search box: site:forum.tz-uk.com rolex waiting list. The first bit tells Google to look only at tz-uk. The bit at the end is the search term to look for.

Top hit: Best way to get on a real Rolex waiting list - TZ-UK Forums

A bit further down: YES YES another Rolex Dealer question..with regards to waiting ...

It's better than the forum's search function.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforum.t...x+waiting+list

Name on the List - How Does it Work

Almost every AD will have an OP39 in stock. Your only problem is that it’s unlikely to be the black or white dial. They are apparently very popular and therefore you’ll have to be lucky to get hold of one.

The Explorer would be easier to get at around 3 months wait.

As mentioned previously, smaller independents would probably be your best bet.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 20th August 2019 at 06:52.

Master
    Hi David,
    Good luck with the search. Imo, the black and white dial 39mm OPs have captured the stripped back essence of the best of Rolex better than any recent models I can think of. You mention you’ve run the gamut of Seiko so I guess you’ve considered Grand Seiko too?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t tell him Pike.

Craftsman
    Good luck with the search, I think you've made a great chouce. FWIW, I put my name down with an independent and a branch of Goldsmiths for a white OP (as I already have an Explorer 214270 so have the black face covered).

The independent is in Scotland (where my family live so am up twice a month) and Goldsmith was my local in NE England - that was about 4 weeks ago and not heard anything yet. Supply may be better further south however.

Worth mentioning that with the indy i also put my name down for a BB58 and they felt that would come in first.

All the best with it!

Master
    There is one on SC at the moment, 39mm, two months old.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    There is one on SC at the moment, 39mm, two months old.
    Not if it was this one.

I picked it up from marcus.furious on Sunday. Incidentally it was my 40th last week and thought the OP39 was the perfect watch for a distinguished gentleman of 40 years (and me too).

As for waiting lists on this model, one independent AD told me April, another chain told me up to 6 months wait. My advice would be to go in to your nearest dealer, and offer to pay a deposit.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 20th August 2019 at 11:20.

Spoke to a small local AD and he reckons 4 to 5 months, gonna get back to me in a few days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Not if it was this one.

I picked it up from marcus.furious on Sunday. Incidentally it was my 40th last week and thought the OP39 was the perfect watch for a distinguished gentleman of 40 years (and me too).

As for waiting lists on this model, one independent AD told me April, another chain told me up to 6 months wait. My advice would be to go in to your nearest dealer, and offer to pay a deposit.
    Stunner, great pic - just makes me want it even more!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Seamaster is a great watch, but if you prefer the OP then it answers the question of which one. And if you can get it past the missus it helps a lot. The bigger boxes they come in these days mean sneaking them past them can be extremely difficult!
    Wheel well in the car - they never look in there !