closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any domestic electricians in the house?

Any domestic electricians in the house?

Our house was built in 1991 and since then has been extended plus we have added a 5kW solar PV system and Tesla Powerwall. A

When we had our latest PV panels added it was suggested by the company doing the installation that we might want to consider upgrading our main fuse board (25 years old, etc)
    The current board comprises a Hager 63amp RCB, 8 individual fuse holders and a couple of trip switches (which I assume is for each circuit).

What has been suggested is an "18th Edition board" with separate RCBO for each circuit for £540 incl VAT, but have no idea whether this is good or not or even needed.

The problem is that now it's been mentioned I cannot help thinking I should get it done.

Thoughts please. Many thanks

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    That is a fair price.

Did the chap quoting you mention AFDDs ?
    The latest wiring regulations introduced these as a recommendation. I would be inclined to have them if I were doing it now.

Expect costs to go north fast if you want them installed.
    Last edited by Benji053; 27th August 2019 at 21:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Our house was built in 1991 and since then has been extended plus we have added a 5kW solar PV system and Tesla Powerwall. A

When we had our latest PV panels added it was suggested by the company doing the installation that we might want to consider upgrading our main fuse board (25 years old, etc)
    The current board comprises a Hager 63amp RCB, 8 individual fuse holders and a couple of trip switches (which I assume is for each circuit).

What has been suggested is an "18th Edition board" with separate RCBO for each circuit for £540 incl VAT, but have no idea whether this is good or not or even needed.

The problem is that now it's been mentioned I cannot help thinking I should get it done.

Thoughts please. Many thanks
    Hi Andy. I’d be able to offeryou a board with rcbos instead of mcbs x 8 for a lot less than that. Pm if I’d you wanna chat
    Last edited by lenlec; 27th August 2019 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    That is a fair price.

Did the chap quoting you mention AFDDs ?
    The latest wiring regulations introduced these as a recommendation. I would be inclined to have them if I were doing it now.

Expect costs to go north fast if you want them installed.
    No he didn't, but having checked them out, and decided I would pass as they are mega expensive and only recommended for Medical facilities or buildings made from combustible materials, which our house isn't.

He is suggest a Hager unit, which seems like a good spec so would agree that £540 seems on par given it will take a good few hours to complete and test.

Many thanks for the advice.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    In Berkshire it's around £700 for a new CU & all the testing required (that's fairly consisten across 4 quotes). Note the installer must test every circuit & rectify any issues so check if the rectification is included. On a simple 3 bed house we found one socket that was knackered & the immersion cable had been drilled through by the plumbers when they fitted a new combi boiler.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    No he didn't, but having checked them out, and decided I would pass as they are mega expensive and only recommended for Medical facilities or buildings made from combustible materials, which our house isn't.
    Did you skip the part regarding sleeping accommodation ?

Anyway, as I said, £540 isn’t unreasonable.

Crack on.

Seems like a lot of scaremongering by the industry TBH - how many fatalities/accidents/injuries/incidents have been caused by less modern installations.
    Not every householder has a spare £500 to spend on an unnecessary ‘upgrade’ which no doubt will eventually be mandatory when other work is undertaken.