closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket.

Master
    Blog Entries

Waterproof jacket.

I lost my trusty Gore-Tex recently and I need a replacement. However in notice there is boat load of choice now, should I still be looking at gore tex or some of this new Pertex shield stuff.

You'll get lots of recommendations (Páramo from me) but some idea of usage would help to sort out what type of garment you're after. Do you need to pack it, all day wear in the rain, etc etc.

As below some idea of intended use would help point you in the right direction
    https://www.jottnar.com/
    Make some really good kit.

Craftsman
    Paramo, for me as well. I have both trousers and jacket, use it everyday it rains when walking the dogs. Been very impressed, although if used daily you need to regularly reproof with Nickwax or tech wash if dirty.

Blog Entries
    Paramo, Berghaus (I had one for 10 yrs), Musto (HPX sailing gear lasted for 19 yrs. I think that it's a true testimony for that brand), Arc'tyrex is very popular over here. Actually, last week I've bought a Paul & Shark raincoat with the Loro Piana's 'Storm System'. A raincoat (alpaca) coated on the inside with that Loro Piana system. I wanted something a little more 'dressy' than another new Berghaus. Time will tell if it's as good as the Berghaus with goretex.

If you're looking for packable, lightweight waterproofs rather than a warm jacket that's waterproof, I'd have to put in a vote for the budget Regatta stuff (plenty of sellers on eBay).

I bought one of their jackets a couple of years ago to wear on boats when out diving and took it to Florida this year for the Daytona 24 Hours - The race was stopped a couple of times and finally abandoned due to the torrential rain and I spent a good few hours walking around the infield track in the pouring rain.

Some idea of how wet it was (and in the worst weather, I gave up taking photos!)

I was very impressed to find that I was still dry after all that inside my jacket as I've spent far more in the past and not stayed as dry in far less inclement weather!

M

Master
    Another vote for Paramo here

Master
    I looked at Paramo and tried a few on at the Covent Garden shop and just thought the “tailoring” was poor. I know looks aren’t everything but it just wasn’t for me.
    My favourite is a Mountain Hardwear jacket that i got from Sports Pursuit. Have a look on that site or drop into Cotswolds Outdoor. Don’t worry too much about what “system” is being used, all the big names are good.
    Agree with the above though if you give more info on what you need it for, that would be useful. Watching motor sport in the rain is a little different to walking up Ben Nevis in a torrential downpour.

Paramo for me. I wear the coats and trousers for up to 4 hours a day when out with the dogs. Great kit and none of that stiff rustling you get from other coats. Soft and quiet which is a plus when working with the dogs.

Craftsman
    Bit of a hijack but seeing as there are a number of Paramo users here. I'm undecided between the Pajaro and Halcon. Will be using it as a lowland winter photography and birding coat so may be out in a few hours of inclement weather.

Question is the Halcon worth the extra pennies or in Paramo's case pounds !

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Another vote for paramo and to answer the above question I love my halcon for the extra I think it’s worth it.

Craftsman
    This subject comes up quite often, but it's a pretty fast moving sector, so not surprised.

I vote for Arcteryx, I use it for skiing and hiking, I have a few jackets, and they're all fantastic.

If you're quick, Trekitt have a sale, and it's got some great reductions. I've bought a fair bit from them, and recommended them to plenty of people, they're very reliable.

With regards to Pertex, personally, I'd stick with Gore Tex, there's not much that beats it, not just the fabric, but the guidelines they impose on manufacturers make sure that the products made from it are all top notch. I think Pertex Shield Plus has a waterproof rating of 20000mm, Gore Tex is 28000mm (minimum).

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Bit of a hijack but seeing as there are a number of Paramo users here. I'm undecided between the Pajaro and Halcon. Will be using it as a lowland winter photography and birding coat so may be out in a few hours of inclement weather.

Question is the Halcon worth the extra pennies or in Paramo's case pounds !

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    I use my Halcon all the time for photography. I mainly do landscape and seascape and it’s warm, waterproof and you can use the vents to stay cooler if needed. Lots of pocket space and padding on the back which helps when carrying my photo rucksack. Try Go Outdoors for a really good price. They are not on their website anymore but they have them in stores and seem to be selling them off. 10% off everything at the minute as well which will further reduce the price.

Mountain Equipment Goretex Pro, Rab Goretex.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It's all personal preference I imagine, but I love my Rab jackets.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Regatta.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I use my Halcon all the time for photography. I mainly do landscape and seascape and it’s warm, waterproof and you can use the vents to stay cooler if needed. Lots of pocket space and padding on the back which helps when carrying my photo rucksack. Try Go Outdoors for a really good price. They are not on their website anymore but they have them in stores and seem to be selling them off. 10% off everything at the minute as well which will further reduce the price.
    Thanks for that - I'll give them a look. I hadn't considered them as they are not listed on the Web site

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    +1 for Jottnar. Excellent bits of kit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info all. I am just after a general purpose jacket for a big of hillwalking and round town when it hoofs it down.

Recently got myself an Arc’teryx beta AR
    brilliant versatile jacket. Quite expensive but found it online in the sales from a place in Newcastle
    Andy

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Rohan yet - their stuff is really well made and very well designed.

Craftsman
    Depends what you want it for. I wear Galvin Green when playing golf and not a drop of rain gets in, and you don't sweat with it on the way you do with some. Pricey but the best on the market.

Anything from Arc'teryx. Job done.

Actually worth elaborating further - if for more daily wear away from Paclite Gore and get a Goretex Pro or a 'normal' Gortex. I have the Sawyer by them which is excellent.

Journeyman
    I have several Arcteryx shells,but as an alternative you can also look for anything from Haglofs as some of their jacket look more urban than Arcteryx that’s too mountainman

For Arcteryx,my suggestion will be Zeta AR,it’s a walking jacket with 3L Gore tex

Another vote for Arc’teryx Beta AR. I have had mine for three years now and am very pleased with it.

What do you use your jacket for? If it’s standing in the rain to watch football then you could argue that a much cheaper jacket would serve your needs. I’m pretty active in mine so justified the high cost because I wanted excellent breathability. It’s a baggy fit which suits me as I want to layer and use it as a three season jacket.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Thanks for the info all. I am just after a general purpose jacket for a big of hillwalking and round town when it hoofs it down.
    One thing that it's worth being careful of, many of the brands that have been mentioned make technical clothing, which performs brilliantly, however, they come with helmet compatible hoods, which means they're massive, so can look a bit peculiar when you use it without a helmet, so read the description.

I'm going to add another vote for Arcteryx, even though I've already voted for them, they're that good!

Master
    Blog Entries

Waterproof jacket.

Thanks all, kind of answered my questions to what I thought and gore tex is still the one to have.

These seems a bargain, no pit zips but not the end of the world.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/s:monta...=montane+ajax+
    Last edited by Middo; 21st August 2019 at 10:30.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Thanks all, kind of answered my questions to what I thought and gore tex is still the one to have.

These seems a bargain, no pig zips but not the end of the world.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/s:monta...=montane+ajax+
    Montane is a good brand, well made, and should last a while. Very good price too.

Master
    I've had Arcteryx, Haglofs, Rab, Berghaus, Sprayway and Tog.
    Most of them are just shells but the Togs have been thicker layers and brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    One thing that it's worth being careful of, many of the brands that have been mentioned make technical clothing, which performs brilliantly, however, they come with helmet compatible hoods, which means they're massive, so can look a bit peculiar when you use it without a helmet, so read the description.
    This is a very good point. Be sure to get the right shape of jacket for the right use. For around town and hill-walking you’ll want a regular hood rather than a helmet compatible hood, regular sleeves rather than long ones (that climbing and cycling jackets have), and a fairly long length to keep your bottom dry as you’ll likely be wearing non-waterproof trousers (at least if your out in town).

I’ve always like Rab, but to be honest you can’t go too wrong with any of the better known companies. And don’t get to hooked on the idea that it must be Gore-Tex as there are good alternatives, particularly the high grade fabrics from eVent that Rab use.

Oh and for practicality I’d just get a shell rather than anything lined. It can chuck it down even when it’s warm, plus you’ll want it to pack down small if you’re carrying it around

Master

I'm going to add another vote for Arcteryx, even though I've already voted for them, they're that good!
    I got a beghaus back when they were made in the uk, must've been 20 years ago.
    The hood was huge and it was only a few years after when a mate told me the hood was meant to go over a helmet that the penny dropped.
    It was expensive at the time and not particularly waterproof.

For someone who bought a highlander odin softshell jacket have a look in them
    Cost a little and they are great

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I got a beghaus back when they were made in the uk, must've been 20 years ago.
    The hood was huge and it was only a few years after when a mate told me the hood was meant to go over a helmet that the penny dropped.
    It was expensive at the time and not particularly waterproof.
    I didn't realise at first, but when you ski, it's really useful.

I think Berghaus has got better, especially the Gore-tex stuff, because Gore check them, but, personally, the chav phase put me off them for life, I grew up in Liverpool, and a Berghaus was part of the uniform for every scally.

Craftsman
    If anyone's interested, Trekkitt has Rab gear with 50% off, I've never had any, but friends think it's great.

Craftsman
    I bought an Arcteryx Theta AR this time last year (on recommendations from this forum) and I love it. I wore it almost every day throughout the winter walking to and from work, and also used it hiking in some atrocious weather and it never let me down. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I’d also throw in the Patagonia brand if you can find one. Very similar to arcteryx.

The nice thing about Patagonia and arcreryx gore products is that if they ever leak or you are unhappy with their performance they will give you a new jacket no questions asked. Patagonia tried to take back by 25 year old paddling jacket after I was telling a staff member about it last year as it finally leaked. I kept it as it really didn’t owe me anything and I kinda like keeping it with my boat stuff as it was my first foray into white water kayaking.

Master
    I didn't realise at first, but when you ski, it's really useful.

I think Berghaus has got better, especially the Gore-tex stuff, because Gore check them, but, personally, the chav phase put me off them for life, I grew up in Liverpool, and a Berghaus was part of the uniform for every scally.
    Hahaha I can remember the Berghaus/Scally connection, it didn't do the brand any good at all.
    I agree Berghaus has got better too.
    I bought a short goretex jacket for mountain biking and it never let me down and it must be 15 years old now.

Master
    Blog Entries

Waterproof jacket.

On the subject of Patagonia. I can recommend the book let my people go surfing by the founder Yvonne.

I
    Last edited by Middo; 22nd August 2019 at 22:10.

Master
    Berghaus still is the Uniform of the wrong un around these parts. Shame it used to be really good stuff I’ve still got somewhere one of there first goretex jackets from about 40 years ago. Just passed my Bergen on that I bought in 84 it only needed a new bit of elastic where it had perished. Currently my only goretex is an Arcteryx Alpha SV totally bomb proof

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    I bought an Arcteryx Theta AR this time last year (on recommendations from this forum) and I love it. I wore it almost every day throughout the winter walking to and from work, and also used it hiking in some atrocious weather and it never let me down. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    Didn't you get it from Trekitt?

Craftsman
    Didn't you get it from Trekitt?
    Yup. Got it in their sale.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Yup. Got it in their sale.
    I thought so, I remember the discussion, they're great, you can pick up some brilliant deals with them.

Master
    Slightly OT but I picked up a down jacket from them in the current sale and I would certainly use them again

Blacks have an extra 20% off on line this weekend

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I agree, Norrona is good stuff and if you register online, you get access to their online outlet which is great for a bargain.

Master
    Yes Norrona is great kit.
    There’s a 50 per cent sale on Arcteryx at Trekkie now.

Edit - meant Trekkit

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/arcteryx/instock?discount=20&
    Last edited by klunk; 23rd August 2019 at 21:45.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Yes Norrona is great kit.
    There’s a 50 per cent sale on Arcteryx at Trekkie now.
    Shhhhh, I haven't checked it yet.

Journeyman

Fjallraven as an option

Hi

i'm surprised that Fjallraven have not been mentioned - do some very good inclemental weather protection.

L-K

Journeyman
    Another brand that also have gore tex shell at more attainable price is salewa,I saw their shell retails for 250 eur and discounted to 175...funny thing is I know their shoes are nice but just knew that they also made gore tex shell