closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jeremy Paxman’s watch

Journeyman

Jeremy Paxman’s watch

Don’t suppose anyone saw University Challenge this evening on BBC 2. I was try to figure out what type of watch it was. It looked like a Fleiger of some sort on a millnaise bracelet. Any ideas?

No idea, but Pretty sure I saw a ticking second hand on his watch last week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    No idea, but Pretty sure I saw a ticking second hand on his watch last week.

How frightfully déclassé.

Thread resurrection, but caught the end of the last night & noticed JP wearing what I think is a U Boat Capsoil https://www.uboatwatch.com/Collezioni/EN/capsoil-17, did seem an odd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Thread resurrection, but caught the end of the last night & noticed JP wearing what I think is a U Boat Capsoil https://www.uboatwatch.com/Collezioni/EN/capsoil-17, did seem an odd choice.
    Very odd choice. So odd in fact does it suggest he may be one of us?

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    "CAPSOIL gears, immersed in an oil bath, struggle with its stickiness to successfully mark the exact time."

I'm no engineer but that sound like old, dirty oil or completely the wrong grade. Oil should, on the whole, help not hinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    "CAPSOIL gears, immersed in an oil bath, struggle with its stickiness to successfully mark the exact time."

I'm no engineer but that sound like old, dirty oil or completely the wrong grade. Oil should, on the whole, help not hinder.
    Sinn's oil-filled watches use quartz movements which have sufficient torque to be unaffected by running in oil.

My guess would be that to get "oil" of low enough viscosity that it doesn't adversely affect mechanical movements, you'd end up with something more like a very light solvent, with all the attendant problems that would have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Sinn's oil-filled watches use quartz movements which have sufficient torque to be unaffected by running in oil.

My guess would be that to get "oil" of low enough viscosity that it doesn't adversely affect mechanical movements, you'd end up with something more like a very light solvent, with all the attendant problems that would have.
    This is why, when you send an oil filled EZM2 back to Sinn for a battery replacement, they also replace the dial and hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    This is why, when you send an oil filled EZM2 back to Sinn for a battery replacement, they also replace the dial and hands.
    Whoa! Hold on a moment there. These are quartz watches?

So what is the point of the total immersion in oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Whoa! Hold on a moment there. These are quartz watches?

So what is the point of the total immersion in oil?
    Makes the contents of the case incompressible, so the complete watch is better able to withstand high external pressure whilst diving.