closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lackadaisical waiters take special note!

Lackadaisical waiters take special note!

Friday evening in Paris:

Disgruntled diner shoots waiter to death over sandwich delay

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/europ...ntl/index.html

I hate bad service as well... 😳
    Seems an extreme reaction.
    I was expecting Chicago or LA not Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I hate bad service as well... 
    Seems an extreme reaction.
    I was expecting Chicago or LA not Paris.
    But don't you notice how Parisian waiters can be "snooty" with you? I mean, you're just a lowly diner!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    But don't you notice how Parisian waiters can be "snooty" with you? I mean, you're just a lowly diner!
    Don’t get me wrong, every time I have eaten in Paris I have wanted the shove the plate down the waiters throat but I have never thought about shooting him.

Curiously enough having dined out in France many times I've never found waiters in bar's or restaurants anything but helpful.
    c'est la vie.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Patience (or common sense) was clearly not a quality he possessed. Similarly to a previous poster I've never experienced a problem eating in Paris, or throughout France for that matter. Italy, and specifically Rome, on the other hand!!

Master
    Wondering how it would go down if we were so whimsical about the policeman that lost his life doing his job.
    Same as this poor guy.
    The story reminded me of the psychopath Tommy shooting the young waiter guy in Goodfellas

Poor guy. His family must be beside themselves.

Very fair parallel drawn to the police man who at the end of the day was just an employee at work doing his job and was murdered for it. This waiter is no different.

I’ve recently walked out of a restaurant because nobody came to take a drinks order within 15 minutes.

All the warning signs were there of bad service:

Flustered waitressing staff.
    A stressed out manager waiting by the pass for food to come out.
    Other tables sat with menus in front of them who were ready to order and looking impatient.
    A table who’s starters arrived after their mains.

My other half didn’t want to walk out due to embarrassment but I’d rather cut my losses and find somewhere else rather than spend money on a bad meal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I’ve recently walked out of a restaurant because nobody came to take a drinks order within 15 minutes.

All the warning signs were there of bad service:

Flustered waitressing staff.
    A stressed out manager waiting by the pass for food to come out.
    Other tables sat with menus in front of them who were ready to order and looking impatient.
    A table who’s starters arrived after their mains.

My other half didn’t want to walk out due to embarrassment but I’d rather cut my losses and find somewhere else rather than spend money on a bad meal.
    These days I can't be bothered with bad service. If it looks like being that way I'm out of there, I'm not worried about what they think. Too many people put up with bad service.

As for someone shooting the waiter, thats just terrible and I feel sadness for him and his family.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    The greatest admonishment you can give to a French waiter that will totally demolish him is to tell him in a very loud voice that you will not tip him because he is useless at his profession. The other dinners may even give you a round of applause.

Grand Master
    A little extreme but we have to try uphold standards,and it might send a message to the waiter on the next table.

Should only be used as a last resort,for eg if you've waited 5 mins or more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The greatest admonishment you can give to a French waiter that will totally demolish him is to tell him in a very loud voice that you will not tip him because he is useless at his profession. The other dinners may even give you a round of applause.
    Talking loudly and slowly in English so foreigners will understand is one of the great gifts the Empire has given the world.

I don't suppose the waiter made the sandwich though, don't shoot the messenger ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Wondering how it would go down if we were so whimsical about the policeman that lost his life doing his job.
    Same as this poor guy.
    Quite.

Blog Entries
    Policeman knows the risk.

Craftsman
    Same as this poor guy.
    Very well said. The same thought struck me when I first looked at this thread last night. Senseless and tragic loss of a life in both cases.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Never complain until you’ve finished your meal.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Sage advice,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Croque monsieur, or Monsieur croaked?

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Policeman knows the risk.
    So this poor waiter should get more sympathy.

The tragic death of a human being has become a source of amusement on this forum; it's sarcasm or satire, apparently.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Always a difficult one this,so what if it's the food that is the issue!,you wouldn't be wanting to wait until you've finished your meal to then complain,otherwise you wouldn't be making a complaint.......would you?.

And tbh let's face it no one really knows what's going on with your food before it arrives at your table.

Master
    Heaven help our waiting staff. We regulalry put on a 45 minute wait, as in 45 minutes before we even look at the customers ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The tragic death of a human being has become a source of amusement on this forum; it's sarcasm or satire, apparently.
    As the OP, I plead guilty, Your Honor. While unnecessary human death is certainly a tragic event, some of us find humor in the circumstances or ironies of occasional reported deaths. Enjoying a bit of (tasteless?) humor on an internet forum does not automatically disqualify such participants from being caring, thoughtful, members of society.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    So this poor waiter should get more sympathy.
    Also; ever tried talking back/protesting to a rude or plain wrong policeman?

Whilst I agree that this is a tragic event and empathise with the bereaved, I feel no shame in making a light hearted joke. The two are separate and distinct. Laughing at the misfortune of others & gallows humour are a very common part of English humour. For example doctors, nurses and those in the emergency services are well known for (privately) making jokes at the expense of their clientele . That is not to say they don't care about the people they deal with, it simply helps them deal with the distress of those in their care.

Master
    Actually on reflection, Simon does have a point and I for one regret making my comment. It served no purpose and disrespected the death of a fellow human being.

Lesson learnt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Curiously enough having dined out in France many times I've never found waiters in bar's or restaurants anything but helpful.
    c'est la vie.
    Same. I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and we have impeccable service at every cafe and restaurant we sat at - both high end and 'quick lunch snack' type places.

I think, for the most part, waiters are normal humans, and react depending on how the (sometimes awful) customer behaves.

I'd say for every 1 bad waiter, there's 100 bad / rude / entitled customers.