closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Operation Market Garden: 75 yrs ago next month.

Blog Entries

Operation Market Garden: 75 yrs ago next month.

And there's an impressive program scheduled for the remembrance of this Battle of Arnhem. It starts today and will last until the 19th of September.

The Program (in English):

https://www.airborne-herdenkingen.nl...-program-2019/

Note that there's a lot of focus on the Polish part of the Battle. Nowadays, the Dutch Airborn Museum attracts a lot of Polish visitors. Interviews with these visitors showed that a lot of Polish people working in Germany and The Netherlands are encouraged by older family members to visit the Museum. A lot of those old Polish war heroes were involved in the fighting and now their grand(grand) children visit the place of their (great)grandfather.

I wrote about the Museum and a bike trip my youngest and I did in May '18. We started the trip where the paras landed and took our bikes along the roads of the advance towards the bridge. Very, very impressive especially because a lot of the houses were rebuilt after the war and it looks a lot similar to how the area was in 44.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 19th August 2019 at 21:38.

Blog Entries
    Visited that area earlier in the year. Including the museum at the bridge. Highly recommend a visit if you’re near.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Another 'great British failure' that led to the death of a great number of brave men.

My grandfather was Airborne and scheduled to go, but broke his shoulder in a training exercise shortly before - The man who went in his place never came back, a fact that haunted him for the rest of his life.

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

I wrote about the Museum and a bike trip my youngest and I did in May '18. We started the trip where the paras landed and took our bikes along the roads of the advance towards the bridge. Very, very impressive especially because a lot of the houses were rebuilt after the war and it looks a lot similar to how the area was in 44.

Menno
    Do you have a link Menno, we are cycling in Zeeland in September

Edit: found the link using search facility
    Last edited by Pretzel; 20th August 2019 at 18:40.

Blog Entries
    First, Zeeland in September can be beautiful. Do you have a place to stay? If not, I can recommend you a few houses and / or hotels.

About the Remembrance Month: Arnhem is a little over two hours drive from the centre of Zeeland. A little over 200km I think.

This is what I wrote 16 months ago: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...irborne+museum

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Another 'great British failure' that led to the death of a great number of brave men.

My grandfather was Airborne and scheduled to go, but broke his shoulder in a training exercise shortly before - The man who went in his place never came back, a fact that haunted him for the rest of his life.

M
    I don't think this thread is the place for you to sound out your anti British views...

The "Great British" Resolve was what ultimately got the US to pile in with their money, machinery, and men and in conjunction with British and British Commonwealth soldiers (plus others) go on to defeat the Nazi Regime.

Master
    You have slightly overreacted

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    You have slightly overreacted
    Just a little, and misunderstood my post completely....

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

And there's an impressive program scheduled for the remembrance of this Battle of Arnhem. It starts today and will last until the 19th of September.

The Program (in English):

https://www.airborne-herdenkingen.nl...-program-2019/

Note that there's a lot of focus on the Polish part of the Battle. Nowadays, the Dutch Airborn Museum attracts a lot of Polish visitors. Interviews with these visitors showed that a lot of Polish people working in Germany and The Netherlands are encouraged by older family members to visit the Museum. A lot of those old Polish war heroes were involved in the fighting and now their grand(grand) children visit the place of their (great)grandfather.

Menno
    Thanks for posting Menno, I’m booked to visit Arnhem next month for the Anniversary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by para-dox View Post
    Thanks for posting Menno, I’m booked to visit Arnhem next month for the Anniversary.
    Great news! Exactly the reason for posting this information. I hope you'll have a good time. If you want some info about the area (there's more to see than Arnhem itself) just ask!

Menno

Cheers Menno, been a few times before and been on a battlefield tour. Camped in the Nijmegen area in the past . Love the area and looking forward to the trip. Remember in the 90s being given an address to a location on a housing estate , belonging to a local collector and history buff . From the outside it looked not at all promising . Inside he had converted the rear garden of the property into a bunker, full of finds from the battle. The staircase bannister was made from Bren gun barrels welded together ! Inside was the “ floor” from a wooden assault boat used by Polish Paras to cross the Rhine . The owner said when you wet the floor, you can pick out lots of bloody footprints! Fascinating place full of both British and German personal items and equipment. Ever heard of it?

Blog Entries
    Cheers Menno, been a few times before and been on a battlefield tour. Camped in the Nijmegen area in the past . Love the area and looking forward to the trip. Remember in the 90s being given an address to a location on a housing estate , belonging to a local collector and history buff . From the outside it looked not at all promising . Inside he had converted the rear garden of the property into a bunker, full of finds from the battle. The staircase bannister was made from Bren gun barrels welded together ! Inside was the “ floor” from a wooden assault boat used by Polish Paras to cross the Rhine . The owner said when you wet the floor, you can pick out lots of bloody footprints! Fascinating place full of both British and German personal items and equipment. Ever heard of it?
    I have no idea! So I've contacted the Airborne Museum. The nice lady on the phone suggested that I should send them an email with your question. That way it would be easier to ask more people within the Airborne Museum organisation. So I did: I copy/pasted your posting into an email, asking them for help (and hopefully the address). We'll see what happens next!

Menno

Cheers Menno that’s brilliant , appreciated. I’ve heard this morning that the Sunday church service is ticketed . Can tickets be got locally ?

Blog Entries
    I have no idea. Do you have a link? I can ask for you!

Blog Entries
    Cheers Menno that’s brilliant , appreciated. I’ve heard this morning that the Sunday church service is ticketed . Can tickets be got locally ?
    Regarding the museum: it didn't ring any bells at the Airborne Museum Office, but they came up with an address. You wrote that you've visited the museum in the 90s. This one opened its doors in 99. Perhaps it's the same at another location.

https://betuwsoorlogsmuseum.nl/home-en/

The answer from the Museum (in Dutch, so no point of posting it here) contained on interesting line. Translated: "'... your question drew a lot of attention! If this is not the museum (link below) and your contact happens to find the original address again, we would be very interested to have that address as well! Simply because it's unknown to us and it looks promising from what we've read in the email!

Church tickets: There's a Remembrance Church Service in the Eusebius Church in Arnhem on Sept.15 at 9 AM. Is that the one? Free entrance according to the website. There's an email address in Dutch; I can send them an email if you like. Just to check about tickets etc. Just let me know.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st August 2019 at 16:04.

Craftsman
    First, Zeeland in September can be beautiful. Do you have a place to stay? If not, I can recommend you a few houses and / or hotels.

About the Remembrance Month: Arnhem is a little over two hours drive from the centre of Zeeland. A little over 200km I think.

This is what I wrote 16 months ago: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...irborne+museum
    Hi Menno

I will send you an email

I’ll email you Menno
    Mark

Grand Master

A very special place me always
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

A very special place me always
    Nice, are you ex-Reg ?

Grand Master
    Nice, are you ex-Reg ?
    Loggie, Para Trained, I Designed the 75th Anniversary piece for Airborne Forces.

Parachute Regiment have done a piece but in larger numbers and without the subtle designs featured on this.
    RIAC

Master
    Loggie, Para Trained, I Designed the 75th Anniversary piece for Airborne Forces.

Parachute Regiment have done a piece but in larger numbers and without the subtle designs featured on this.
    My father in law was an airborne loggie, 562 Sqn RCT(V), in the 60s & 70s. I was RGJ(V).

Know what you mean, the Para Reg one is a bit garish

Yeah my Dad is 3 Para but I knew he would
    Prefer the Airborne with the wings and Pegasus

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Yeah my Dad is 3 Para but I knew he would
    Prefer the Airborne with the wings and Pegasus

Stunning. Hopefully mine will arrive this week. Second Bremont. Have been impressed with my Alt1/C.
    What are people consensus with Bremont

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The eagle has landed.
    Happy bear.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk