closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Macbook Pro?

Master

What Macbook Pro?

My current MBP has just had its 10th birthday and is still going well. It has the memory maxed out and a SSD. The only thing it does suffer with is photo editing in Lightroom and intensive use of DAWs.

My question is when the time comes to replace it, what to replace it with?

Ideally i'd like the option to upgrade the memory and harddrive, if required.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    My current MBP has just had its 10th birthday and is still going well. It has the memory maxed out and a SSD. The only thing it does suffer with is photo editing in Lightroom and intensive use of DAWs.

My question is when the time comes to replace it, what to replace it with?

Ideally i'd like the option to upgrade the memory and harddrive, if required.

Thanks!
    I'd have a look at both of these links:-

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Laptop

Most memory & disk is fixed and not replaceable.

If you can wait, there are strong rumours that a new design of MacBook, with a new keyboard and 16” display will debut sometime this year. It is likely to be expensive but there may be an effect on the prices of other models.

To be honest anything from the current line-up will be a noticeable upgrade from a 10 year old machine because of the Retina screen.

I went from a 17" MBPro to the Retina 15" and it's great, slimmer, lighter, smaller and better battery, + much quicker.

I'm tempted by going smaller still next upgrade, then plugging into a larger screen when in the office.

Master
    I had a 15" Pro. Loved the screen, touchpad and performance. However I travelled with it a lot and didn't like the weight and size. Occasionally it was just too big to work on, especially in a cramped train seat.

I now have a 13" Air. Better weight and battery life, but I miss the grunt and have to be far more careful about what I have open.

Master
    Thanks both. Would moving to something like the newest Macbook Air be sufficient for what i'd usually be doing - photo editing and using audio production software?

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Thanks both. Would moving to something like the newest Macbook Air be sufficient for what i'd usually be doing - photo editing and using audio production software?
    Yes it's powerful enough, they just lack ports. If you're charging it you only have one Thunderbolt port free, whereas the Pro has 4 ports, 3 spare when charging. I often have a camera and external drive plugged in simultaneously, so only have one free port would annoy me.

Craftsman
    I have owned an air (2015) and currently MBP (2017).

The air is great, lightweight and good battery but lacks the graphics intensive punch of a MBP as it has intel integrated graphics. I’m sure never models now have better capabilities and a dedicated graphics card.
    In your circumstances I too would opt for the MBP, part of the reason I sold mine was very occasionally it would wimp out on photo editing. No such issues with the pro I replaced it with.

I had the 11” inch air which I found too small for most tasks but great on the go. My current MBP is 13 and a great all round size. For anything more detailed I hook it upto a 27” 4K monitor and it performs superbly.

Craftsman
    I've got the 13" MacBook Pro with the funky touch strip where the function buttons should be. It's got a 2.7GHz I& Quad Core processor (I think) from Late 2018, it comes with 1TB SSD, 16GB memory etc etc, and is great, it's lightning fast, has a really clear screen, and is as reliable as you'd expect a Mac to be. I use it for photo and video editing and making music, so know it copes perfectly well. The only downside, it was £2500.

If you want to get a Mac, I can usually get discount, so I'd happily get it for you and pass the discount on. Alternatively, if you're a member of Costco, they always have some standard MacBooks available at a slightly reduced price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post

If you want to get a Mac, I can usually get discount, so I'd happily get it for you and pass the discount on. Alternatively, if you're a member of Costco, they always have some standard MacBooks available at a slightly reduced price.
    On the topic of discount if you have any family members who are students take them with you and you can get educational discount. It’s around 12-14% on a MacBook.

Anybody who is a student or those who work in education (including universities) can get the discount. If you buy soon they usually have a new term promo too. Might get some headphones etc you can sell separately.

Craftsman
    You can also get student pricing on Apple via the NUS student card (think the name has changed now to Totum). Plus a free pair of Beats headphones.

Base MBP is £1,168 instead of £1,299

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    I'd have a look at both of these links:-

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Laptop

Most memory & disk is fixed and not replaceable.
    Definitely recommend the Macrumors buying guide for all Apple products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff...ver-fire-risk/

Now issued for UK commercial helicopter flights and would assume airlines too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff...ver-fire-risk/

Now issued for UK commercial helicopter flights and would assume airlines too.
    According to Apple, the issue hits MacBook Pros (the 15-inch models with Retina displays) sold between September 2015 and February 2017, where products shipped with batteries that “may overheat and pose a safety risk.” Apple was concerned enough to advise customers to switch off the devices and leave them switched off until the fix had been carried out. The replacement is pretty inconvenient, and can take as long as two weeks.