closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday in Majorca

Craftsman

Holiday in Majorca

I want to book a holiday some time around the end of September. I'm a bit sick of going to the same places, so thought I look at Majorca, has anyone got any experience of holidaying in Majorca?

Ideally, I want a fairly upmarket hotel, adults only and in a reasonably quiet area. Can anyone recommend a hotel, or even just an area/location?

Thanks

Master
    Me and the Mrs stayed here for a week in June:

https://www.iberostar.com/en/hotels/...ardin-del-sol/

Thoroughly enjoyed it. 30 minute cab from the airport. Peaceful location with a couple of decent local restaurants (we didn’t do the all inclusive). We paid a bit more and stayed in a club room which had a much pool. Finally the breakfast buffet was INCREDIBLE. Unfortunately I put a few kgs back on...

Journeyman
    There’s a one word answer to this; Deia.

You can thank me later.

La Residencia if you’ve got loads of money to spend.

Hoposa Costa D’or if you’ve got a more normal budget.

Rent a car, see that part of the island, have lunch at Patro March, walk through the valley of the oranges, maybe spend a day in Port de Soller, honestly mate it’s terrific.

I’ve been lucky enough to go all over the world and I’d say it’s among the nicest places I’ve ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I like Portals Nous Lovely restaurants. Some nice boats and cars to look at if you like that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Devonian; 18th August 2019 at 21:02.

Port de Pollença would get my vote. Right at the top of the island, lovely beach, nice restaurants. Always stayed in family sized villas so can’t comment on the hotels, but worth a look if you have transport.

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Port de Pollença would get my vote.
    Mine too, it's a lovely resort.

Master
    always liked Cala d’or but stayed at a posh hotel in Illietas (sp) which was nice. Also Alcudia and Port de Pollenca were nice.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Was in Santa Ponca in April, loved it

Cala mondrago,
    We've family in Puerto Pollenca and whilst it's nice to spend a day or so with them we invariably end up at Cala mondrago, no light pollution wonderful beaches and clear sea.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Mine too, it's a lovely resort.
    I spent 10 days in Port de Pollenca in July. It's a nice quiet resort.
    However I found the food to be only average and expensive. Also the staff in the Restaurants were generally rude.
    If you like decent food stay away from this resort. We found a restaurant 4kms outside the resort which was good and we ate there 3 nights.

Craftsman
    We enjoyed a spring week at the Hotel Minister in Port de Soller.

Wouldn't hesitate to return to both the place and the hotel.
    Last edited by wolf; 18th August 2019 at 23:51.

Master
    Lived in Mallorca late 90's, san telmo (sant elm) south west coast.

Lovely quiet location as the road in quite restrictive, although it has been improved by a cut through section from andraitx recently.

https://www.seemallorca.com/sant-elm

Master
    Blog Entries
    Unless you want to be by a beach, Deia gets my vote too. Beautiful and peaceful.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Cala d'Or, was there a few weeks ago. Adults only
    https://www.inturotel.com/hotels/int...ala-esmeralda/

https://www.puresaltluxuryhotels.com/port-adriano

we stayed here - adult only. Fabulous

Majorca has numerous great hotels. Very much depends on what you want. Golf - go for the Son Vida

Deia - lovely but very quiet

Master
    Playa de Muro

Hotel Los Principes & Spa

Maybe not upmarket enough & not adults only but very nice all the same.
    Last edited by g40steve; 19th August 2019 at 11:27.

My wife has family on the island, and we spent a big chunk of the summer there for nearly 20 years.

You could try Finca Ca N'aí, which is between Sóller and Port de Sóller, where we used to stay. We never stayed at Ca N'aí, (children are not allowed), but we did eat there a fair bit. One of my wife's cousins went to school with one of the original chefs.

https://www.canai.com/index.php/en/rooms

I really like that bit of the island: there's lots to see, and there are some wonderful resturants dotted around there. Plus, the road up the side of the Puig Major is one of my favourite hooning roads ever. Stelvio? Poor man's version of that road!

I see others have recommended Deià, and whilst it is pretty, it's always mobbed, as it's on everyone's bucket list. Plus, it's a PITA getting to the beach there unless you go by boat from somewhere else. We were lucky as we had access to a boat in Sóller.

Pollença is nice, but I don't know any adult only hotels there.

Journeyman
    Sulk speaks sense about those roads-loads of fun in a rented Smart car.

Although from experience, Deia shouldn’t be mobbed in late Sept. I’ve been in April and sept for the last few years and it’s the perfect time to go (weather dependent)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Cala d'Or, was there a few weeks ago. Adults only
    https://www.inturotel.com/hotels/int...ala-esmeralda/
    We spent a very pleasant week in that hotel 2 years ago.

JP

Grand Master
    We had a week in "The Formentor" A Royal Hideaway last year.A low level hotel in a very quiet picturesque location.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Was in Santa Ponca in April, loved it
    My first ever holiday abroad was to Santa Ponca many years ago. It almost put me off ever gonna again!

I guess things have changed a lot in the past 30 years!

Very much like the northern parts-Deia and Valdemossa but also like the relatively unspoilt Cala Figuera and Santanyi (including Cala Santanyi for a safe swim) not too many brits there.
    If you’re down that way,a drive down to deserted cap des salines is nice too- even better on a rented trail bike!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My first ever holiday abroad was to Santa Ponca many years ago. It almost put me off ever gonna again!

I guess things have changed a lot in the past 30 years!
    I know that feeling, I went on a holiday with my mates to Alcudia, I don't think I want the memories that a trip back there would bring back.

Craftsman
    Thank you very much for all the comments, it's given me a lot to look at, some really nice hotels and great locations.

Thanks everyone.

Just back from pollenca this morning,3rd year on the run,clean beaches and a lot of choice of eateries,some very good and some not so as per everywhere really,sea is beautiful,rented a boat and explored the local bays and snorkelled which was great,I love it there.

Blog Entries
    We have stayed here a couple of times, very nice, and nice resort, https://www.onthebeach.co.uk/hotels/...mallorca/samoa

Craftsman
    Thanks again, I'm still looking at the alternatives, I think everywhere will have sold out by the time I decide.

We love Palma nova, the end furthest away from magaluf

We love it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    Just back from pollenca this morning,3rd year on the run,clean beaches and a lot of choice of eateries,some very good and some not so as per everywhere really,sea is beautiful,rented a boat and explored the local bays and snorkelled which was great,I love it there.
    We were there in early June,first time without kids,and it's close to my idea of Heaven.😃

Master
    Wherever you go on Majorca, be very aware of the pickpocket situation, particularly if you are wearing a good watch. Lots of very professional thieves, in groups, working the tourist spots. A fellow traveller arrived at the police station to report a theft and the place was heaving. "Never felt a thing" was the phrase of the day, along with "They just looked like tourists", (smartly dressed etc.).
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ets+in+Majorca

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Wherever you go on Majorca, be very aware of the pickpocket situation, particularly if you are wearing a good watch. Lots of very professional thieves, in groups, working the tourist spots. A fellow traveller arrived at the police station to report a theft and the place was heaving. "Never felt a thing" was the phrase of the day, along with "They just looked like tourists", (smartly dressed etc.).
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ets+in+Majorca
    Probably be even more aware tbh,when on holiday were generally in a relaxed mode and that's what's the giveaway and green light to these types.
    And really no less vigilant as when in your home country,tourists also come here and it's just as bad.

Journeyman
    I've always been interested in what you all like about Mallorca. I personally like Cyprus. All for one simple reason. It is much cheaper there, more activity and much lower prices for holidays. Just rent a car https://myrentacar.com/en/greece/crete/ and relax on beautiful azure beaches. For me, for everyone, such a vacation would be the most ideal.
    Last edited by Derrils; 25th December 2019 at 13:33.

Master
    Protur Playa in Calla major is very nice.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Pollenca in November.

September is great in Pollenca if the weather holds. And it usually does.

We've stayed a couple of times in Fincas outside of Pollenca so can't comment on hotels. Platja de Formentor is a very pleasant relaxed beach. I think there are a few hotels around that way.

Master
    Wherever you go..... watch your pockets, your watch and your valuables generally. Lots of "families" looking like tourists but definitely aren't, making a good living out of pickpocketing and petty theft. A member of our party had a wallet stolen and were in a very long queue at the police station, all reporting the same things.

Craftsman
    Went to Cala dor
    Last year with the family , lovely little place we stayed in the melia fantastic hotel wil
    Be going back ! Lovely little cove beaches I wouldn’t say was quiet but maybe that’s because we went in august !

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    we stayed in the melia fantastic hotel
    With an name like that I hope it was good. I stayed in Cala d'Or in 25 years ago, it was pretty quiet back then too.

Cala mondrago
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    With an name like that I hope it was good. I stayed in Cala d'Or in 25 years ago, it was pretty quiet back then too.
    Melia Cala dor the hotel name!
    .. not melia fantastic haha! Although it was great, it was busy but to be expected in august I suppose !

Craftsman
    Shocked that no one has mentioned what is simply the best hotel on the island and meets the OPs needs

https://sonbrull.com/en/

Master
    That looks great. Saved for future reference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Wherever you go..... watch your pockets, your watch and your valuables generally. Lots of "families" looking like tourists but definitely aren't, making a good living out of pickpocketing and petty theft. A member of our party had a wallet stolen and were in a very long queue at the police station, all reporting the same things.
    I have a rule no one comes within my space.
    If they cannot touch you chances are they cannot help themselves.
    Don’t be afraid to shout & make a scene in order to get them to go away.