closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brexit and passports.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Apparently EHIC not valid on cruises.
    IIRC all medical treatment on cruises is chargeable, the medical staff are not employees of the cruise company and the costs are high.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 19th August 2019 at 12:03.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Whilst current EU member state passports are red/maroon, they don’t have to be; Croatian passports are black.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    IIRC all medical treatment on cruises is chargeable.

R
    I was thinking if you get off the ship somewhere would EHIC be valid. Might depend whether taken ill on board or whilst ashore?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    Whilst current EU member state passports are red/maroon, they don’t have to be; Croatian passports are black.

They're dark blue.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I was thinking if you get off the ship somewhere would EHIC be valid. Might depend whether taken ill on board or whilst ashore?
    Once you are ashore your EHIC will be valid in an EEA country and Switzerland.

R

Blog Entries
    Apparently EHIC not valid on cruises.
    It is not valid onboard a cruise ship that is why we always carry full holiday insurance but who knows what might occur onshore or if you get ill onboard and need to taken to a shore hospital but i really think that anyone travelling in the EU post Oct 31 needs to make sure their insurance company is aware( my travel people are as much i the dark as we all are) as i said interesting times.
    Last edited by mart broad; 19th August 2019 at 13:03.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Having an Irish (republic) / English passport due to my parents being Irish , was just novelty until Brexit, now it a rather nice luxury. They are both maroon , will be disappointed if the new UK one is not red white and blue.

Master
    They're dark blue.

R
    Ah, the ones I saw recently looked black; I guess it’s just really dark blue in bright sunshine!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    Ah, the ones I saw recently looked black; I guess it’s just really dark blue in bright sunshine!

It is a rather dark blue.

R

If you’re going to drive on the continent make sure your insurer gives you a green card as chances are the UK proof of insurance will have no value at all anymore.
    Which isn’t to say you won’t be insured (depending on your contract): just that, if asked, you will not be able to satisfy the authorities that your car is insured. Which could mean immobilised until they are satisfied all is kosher.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you’re going to drive on the continent make sure your insurer gives you a green card as chances are the UK proof of insurance will have no value at all anymore.
    Which isn’t to say you won’t be insured (depending on your contract): just that, if asked, you will not be able to satisfy the authorities that your car is insured. Which could mean immobilised until they are satisfied all is kosher.
    Seems sensible, and easy enough to do.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you?
    When I changed my car last February, I initially gone with Directline. A few days later I realised we were going to be in France on 31 March, so called them for a GC. They then told me that as my stay was going to be longer than (I think) a week, I had to pay for the green card. I believe it was around £40 but that could be because we go twice a year.
    I called the NFU who insure our house. They gave me a great deal and a free GC.

Master
    Nige has got his.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Nige has got his.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't it have cost the country far less if on a passport application the words ''European Union'' had been made optional, happy rednecks no need for Brexit.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    When I changed my car last February, I initially gone with Directline. A few days later I realised we were going to be in France on 31 March, so called them for a GC. They then told me that as my stay was going to be longer than (I think) a week, I had to pay for the green card. I believe it was around £40 but that could be because we go twice a year.
    So some insurers more inclusive than others. ‘‘Twas ever so.

Indeed. It’s just that “do you supply a GC, and for how much?” is to be added to the (long) list of question you need to ask before you sign on the dotted line.
    Not the end of the world if you don’t though.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Wouldn't it have cost the country far less if on a passport application the words ''European Union'' had been made optional, happy rednecks no need for Brexit.
    I think they should stop putting passport applications on the back of Cornflakes boxes altogether...
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Indeed. It’s just that “do you supply a GC, and for how much?” is to be added to the (long) list of question you need to ask before you sign on the dotted line.
    Not the end of the world if you don’t though.
    True. To be honest I've always checked with my insurers before driving on the continent even if I thought it was ok. Better safe than sorry is nearly always the case.

Why would you even need a GC, in France, last March?

Why would you even need a GC, in France, last March?
    Because that was supposed to be the initial Brexit date?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Because that was supposed to be the initial Brexit date?
    I see, long time ago now!

Craftsman
    I can't wait to get my blue passport, it's one of the many things that'll make Britain great again, haha

I'd say that your passport is potentially the least of your worries.

I assume, you mean colour of the passport, since not all passports were created equal..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Passports, something else that England gave to the world about 600 old years ago.

Your welcome

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Passports, something else that England gave to the world about 600 old years ago.

Your welcome

Yeah sure. In the same way as England invented fish and chips.

One of the earliest known references to paperwork that served in a role similar to that of a passport is found in the Hebrew Bible. Nehemiah 2:7–9, dating from approximately 450 BC, states that Nehemiah, an official serving King Artaxerxes I of Persia, asked permission to travel to Judea; the king granted leave and gave him a letter "to the governors beyond the river" requesting safe passage for him as he traveled through their lands.

Arthashastra mentions the first passport and passbooks in world history. According to the text, the superintendent of passports must issue sealed passes before one could enter or leave the countryside.

Passports were an important part of the Chinese bureaucracy as early as the Western Han, if not in the Qin Dynasty. They required such details as age, height, and bodily features. These passports (zhuan) determined a person's ability to move throughout imperial counties and through points of control. Even children needed passports, but those of one year or less who were in their mother's care might not have needed them.

In the medieval Islamic Caliphate, a form of passport was the bara'a, a receipt for taxes paid. Only people who paid their zakah (for Muslims) or jizya (for dhimmis) taxes were permitted to travel to different regions of the Caliphate; thus, the bara'a receipt was a "basic passport."

Etymological sources show that the term "passport" is from a medieval document that was required in order to pass through the gate (or "porte") of a city wall or to pass through a territory. In medieval Europe, such documents were issued to foreign travellers by local authorities (as opposed to local citizens, as is the modern practice) and generally contained a list of towns and cities the document holder was permitted to enter or pass through. On the whole, documents were not required for travel to sea ports, which were considered open trading points, but documents were required to travel inland from sea ports.

King Henry V of England is credited with having invented what some consider the first passport in the modern sense, as a means of helping his subjects prove who they were in foreign lands. The earliest reference to these documents is found in a 1414 Act of Parliament. In 1540, granting travel documents in England became a role of the Privy Council of England, and it was around this time that the term "passport" was used. In 1794, issuing British passports became the job of the Office of the Secretary of State. The 1548 Imperial Diet of Augsburg required the public to hold imperial documents for travel, at the risk of permanent exile.

Zee LINKY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Your welcome

One of the earliest known references to paperwork that served in a role similar to that of a passport is found in the Hebrew Bible. Nehemiah 2:7–9, dating from approximately 450 BC, states that Nehemiah, an official serving King Artaxerxes I of Persia, asked permission to travel to Judea; the king granted leave and gave him a letter "to the governors beyond the river" requesting safe passage for him as he traveled through their lands.

Arthashastra mentions the first passport and passbooks in world history. According to the text, the superintendent of passports must issue sealed passes before one could enter or leave the countryside.

Passports were an important part of the Chinese bureaucracy as early as the Western Han, if not in the Qin Dynasty. They required such details as age, height, and bodily features. These passports (zhuan) determined a person's ability to move throughout imperial counties and through points of control. Even children needed passports, but those of one year or less who were in their mother's care might not have needed them.

In the medieval Islamic Caliphate, a form of passport was the bara'a, a receipt for taxes paid. Only people who paid their zakah (for Muslims) or jizya (for dhimmis) taxes were permitted to travel to different regions of the Caliphate; thus, the bara'a receipt was a "basic passport."

Etymological sources show that the term "passport" is from a medieval document that was required in order to pass through the gate (or "porte") of a city wall or to pass through a territory. In medieval Europe, such documents were issued to foreign travellers by local authorities (as opposed to local citizens, as is the modern practice) and generally contained a list of towns and cities the document holder was permitted to enter or pass through. On the whole, documents were not required for travel to sea ports, which were considered open trading points, but documents were required to travel inland from sea ports.

King Henry V of England is credited with having invented what some consider the first passport in the modern sense, as a means of helping his subjects prove who they were in foreign lands. The earliest reference to these documents is found in a 1414 Act of Parliament. In 1540, granting travel documents in England became a role of the Privy Council of England, and it was around this time that the term "passport" was used. In 1794, issuing British passports became the job of the Office of the Secretary of State. The 1548 Imperial Diet of Augsburg required the public to hold imperial documents for travel, at the risk of permanent exile.

Zee LINKY
    Like he said.

Zee LINKY
    Like I said.

Blog Entries
    Like I said.
    I know. UK/England bad.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I know. UK/England bad.
    But England hasn't invented passports, pretty clear from the article. A bit like if someone claimed that Germany had invented the Autobahn.

I like England, wouldn't be part of an English forum if I wouldn't.

Blog Entries
    But England hasn't invented passports, pretty clear from the article. A bit like if someone claimed that Germany had invented the Autobahn.

I like England, wouldn't be part of an English forum if I wouldn't.
    Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Of course.
    Please don't be a ***, I was just starting to like you when you stopped posting your political views. That's true.

Blog Entries
    Please don't be a ***, I was just starting to like you when you stopped posting your political views. That's true.
    Probably mutual, I can't post 'political' views anymore as you no doubt know. Just commenting on your post was all.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    Peace.
    Yes.

As an Englishman who doesn’t travel much, I can’t wait for the outcome of a democratic vote to come to pass, so we can all talk about something more interesting. I very much doubt the sky will fall in - if it does then I’m sure I’ll survive - I rather like fish and chips, there’s too much choice in the shops anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You ought to have taken the opportunity to travel more, broaden your horizons, learn about the world, the Daily Mail doesn't have all the answers.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I have travelled but not much lately. It’s difficult with a disabled child tbh. And just because I support democracy that doesn’t make me a right wing loon. Haven’t ‘read’ the DM in 20 years (well, I have but for the giggles!) - not really sure why everyone has their knickers in such a twist, I rather like living in a country that sticks 2 fingers up at the rest of the world every now and again, but then again I’m not risk averse - a bit of a shake-up might be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    You ought to have taken the opportunity to travel more, broaden your horizons, learn about the world, the Daily Mail doesn't have all the answers.
    No need to travel far to learn about the world, just come to London and take a bus at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, I promise you your horizons will be broaden alright, if you will be able to get on board.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

If you base your opinion on tourists then you're not going to have a very broad horizon at all.

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    No need to travel far to learn about the world, just come to London and take a bus at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, I promise you your horizons will be broaden alright, if you will be able to get on board.
    No thanks.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Going on a cruise out of Southampton on 25 th October down to the Canaries so Oct 31st Lanzarote and Nov 2nd Vigo so who knows what will happen re docking,passport control etc and also we carry the Ehic card as well as insurance, interesting times.
    Thank you,due to reading this I applied and my EHIC card has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Thank you,due to reading this I applied and my EHIC card has arrived.
    Worthless after Brexit.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If you base your opinion on tourists then you're not going to have a very broad horizon at all.

R
    I lived in London until moving away 4 years ago. That was 46 years. Trust me, they ain’t tourists

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I lived in London until moving away 4 years ago. That was 46 years. Trust me, they ain’t tourists

Then if not tourists what are they?

R

Then if not tourists what are they?

R
    I assumed the original comment simply meant that London is a diverse place and if you got a bus at 3pm you would find people of a variety of backgrounds and the other comment being that they are not tourists but residents of the city.

Perhaps I am wrong and I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I assumed the original comment simply meant that London is a diverse place and if you got a bus at 3pm you would find people of a variety of backgrounds and the other comment being that they are not tourists but residents of the city.

My comment was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, they could just as well be tourists as locals.

R

Brexit and passports.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

Spot on - and also a bit tongue in cheek!

Last edited by RobDad; 24th August 2019 at 21:08.