closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulova Snorkel 666 Diver - 'quickset date'

Bulova Snorkel 666 Diver - 'quickset date'

I've recently acquired the Bulova Snorkel 666 Diver (from 1968 - 1970 I think) and am in love with it. The 35 mm case is perfect for me, the dial seems to be in great condition, with a very gentle patina.

The only thing that I found a bit bothering at first was that the date can't be set by adjusting the crown directly. However, the watch does have a 'quickset' function - by firstly adjusting the hour and minute hands past '12 AM' when the date changes, then moving them back to around 8:30 PM, and back to 12 again to move the date forward by one more.

Of course it still takes an awfully long time to get the correct date (hence the incorrect one in the photo). Nevertheless I've grown to quite enjoy these little features that we don't see in modern watches (I've never owned one like this before).

I wonder if there's other owners of the watch here? (there's a few variations, such as one that's marked selfwinding instead of snorkel, and has only two lines at the bottom of the dial).

Also, thoughts on the 'quickset date' feature? Do people adjust the date everytime you start wearing the watch again, or just wait until it's closer to the right one again :P

Cheers:)

Nice watch. The obvious answer to the date setting question (apart from just ignore it and live with the wrong date) would be to get a watch winder and keep it wound, that way it is only a minor problem 5 times a year.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    With ref to the year of your watch, on the back should be either a M or N followed by a number.

M is 60s so M8 would be 68 & M9 would be 69 and follows on to N for the 70s, N0 being 1970, N1 being 1971 and so forth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    However, the watch does have a 'quickset' function - by firstly adjusting the hour and minute hands past '12 AM' when the date changes, then moving them back to around 8:30 PM, and back to 12 again to move the date forward by one more.
    Some people call this "manual quickset". Vostok watches have the same feature.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Nice watch. The obvious answer to the date setting question (apart from just ignore it and live with the wrong date) would be to get a watch winder and keep it wound, that way it is only a minor problem 5 times a year.
    Thanks Simon - will consider a watch winder. Just that if I do I might be tempted to get one for every other nicer watch I own too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    With ref to the year of your watch, on the back should be either a M or N followed by a number.

M is 60s so M8 would be 68 & M9 would be 69 and follows on to N for the 70s, N0 being 1970, N1 being 1971 and so forth.
    It's a M8! Thanks very much