closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Seiko MM300...

Is the Seiko MM300...

Since TZ-UK loves a polarising debate triggered by a grand yet unsubstantiated claim:

Is the Seiko MM300 the best diver’s Watch ever made?

I think so. Here’s mine:

Off you go.

Whilst it is a lovely dive watch, I don’t think it beats the Submariner, which doesn’t beat Seadweller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely watch.
    As to the question, yawn....

Craftsman
    Excellent watch, but the aesthetics are not for everyone. Despite not looking big, my sla019 I could never wear on bracelet comfortably and had to use crafter rubber. These also suffer from the weak crown tube based on people’s reports.

Mines currently being serviced £400 , that’s nearly Rolex money!

Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    To be fair £400 sounds good my Rolex LV was about £550 and my Sinn EZM1 was €500 and that's without the case been touched

Back to the OP , the MM 300 runs my Sea dweller a very close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    Standard service or are you fixing something specific? Or both?

Master
    That's a very competitive category; up against sub, sea-d, seamaster, ploprof, fifty fathoms, skx, amongst many many others.

It's a very robust, aggressive looking, attractive watch.

The monocoque case is its USP.

It's significant used price increase indicates how highly the market thinks of it.

I think its bulk reduces its versatility compared to, for example, a sub or earlier sea-d.

But purely as a diver, there's an argument to be made for it.

I struggle to imagine selling mine.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello

It is a beauty but I moved mine on and still have my Seawolf and Arktis.

Yes (for me anyway)

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s not as good as my Seiko PADI turtle which is perfect if you ask me.

A pretty divisive question.

It's a nice watch, but best dive watch is a pretty tall ask.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Nah, not the best. (but nice anyway)

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Nice, but not the best by a long shot. Moved mine on very quickly. Bit of a chunky monkey for every day use.

Master
    Not by a stretch. A very nice watch none the less, and I'm glad you obviously love yours.

I can see where many of you are coming from regarding the heft and size - that’s why I never considered wearing it on the bracelet.
    But as mentioned above, that chunky monocoque case is its party trick and I absolutely love how solid it feels.

Craftsman
    It’s a great watch and I enjoyed owning one but my current diver is an omega PO 8900 which imo is better in every way

The case is the key to this piece, the steeply bevelled underside of the case sides allows full wrist articulation combined with the winding crown at 4 o clock makes it a very comfortable wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Standard service or are you fixing something specific? Or both?
    Amps are a bit low so standard service.

Do divers still really use watches ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    Some do.

M

One of the greats.

Craftsman
    Yes we do. Invaluable backup timer.

Not me! No watch fits on my drysuit. I prefer a backup computer.....as for the MM, the watch is super but the bracelet is horrible quality. I much prefer my PO....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yet to scratch the itch with one though I’m a bit of a fan of the Monsters and had a Spork for a short while .
    If I wanted a take anywhere / wear with anything Dive watch it’ll have to be a Seamaster if I was into serious chunk I’d guess I’d choose a Planet Ocean / Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    One of the greats.
    What strap is that? Thanks

What strap is that? Thanks
    It's the standard rubber which seems to come on nearly all Seiko divers these days (SRP777, SPB079 etc). I personally dislike those strap as it attracts dust and fluff like there's no tomorrow so I have both my SLA021 and SPB079 on the rubber which came with the SBDX017.

It looks like the part number for that strap might be R02F011J9 but I can't say for sure. If you're keen I will check to see if there are makings/part numbers on the strap when I'm home later.

Here's a pic of it on the SLA021 just now.

Just to balance the MM300 love-in that’s going on.

I have always felt it a bit of an oddity, too expensive as a “beater” or dive computer back up if you must, but too chunky to be a luxury sports watch, and wearing the wrong badge, however noble and technically capable. In my mind I have placed it alongside the Sinn U1 for these reasons.

Disclaimer: I haven’t owned one, and at escalating prices am unlikely to.

Dave

Blog Entries
    At least, my MM300 is more accurate than my 14060M...

One thing I dislike about the MM300 is the height that makes it rather imbalanced on my wrist.

It's the standard rubber which seems to come on nearly all Seiko divers these days (SRP777, SPB079 etc). I personally dislike those strap as it attracts dust and fluff like there's no tomorrow so I have both my SLA021 and SPB079 on the rubber which came with the SBDX017.

It looks like the part number for that strap might be R02F011J9 but I can't say for sure. If you're keen I will check to see if there are makings/part numbers on the strap when I'm home later.

Here's a pic of it on the SLA021 just now.
    Thanks for that - managed to track it down online.

I had one and sold it , a lot of things to like but also a few not to like the major dislike was it being way to top heavy also found looking dead on it was quite boring looking but at angles looked great away I sold it ,
    I have 6 doxas in my small collection so for me doxa are my favourite dive watches

Grand Master
    Rather like the reply I just posted with regards to the "best" watch,that watch being the Speedy.Like the Speedy this too is a watch a lot on here do like,but having said that I've just sold mine! as have many others,only to buy again!,I'm guilty of that too.It certainly is a very well liked respected and capable diver no doubt with great looks and presence,it does have some shortfalls all discussed since its release.Will I have another,Umm possibly although I'm consciously trying to reduce my collection yet again,as I probably were during my last sales post of an MM300!.
    Best is as I said re the speedy purely an opinion,but it's without doubt a superb watch and just looks pleasing and balanced as do many other watches.

Master
    It is definitely a great watch. I hope to try one one day but I think probably it is just too big and thick to be considered the best... for me anyway.

I love the MM300. I’ve had 2 and sold them both (prior to discontinuance of the 017) not because I was critical but if you need money they are easy to dispose of. The recent price hike makes buying again more of a challenge but if the “planets line up” and I’m still watch inclined the decision will be a no brainer.
    I do not dive.
    That aside the style of the MM300 is its own. It does not emulate and I have always worn it as a daily wearer for work or not. Yes it sits high; the bracelet adjustment can deal with that, it’s durable clear and bright (lume), it’s conservative and radical which takes it IMO outside convention.
    Is it the best dive watch ever? Case fantastic, movement the same, clarity crazily so, presence in shed loads, it’s arguably at the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only thing which will top the SLA021 for me will be the SNR029 / SBDB027. What a watch. Would love to try one on and can't wait for the day I see one on SC as I can't afford one at RRP!

The only thing which will top the SLA021 for me will be the SNR029 / SBDB027. What a watch. Would love to try one on and can't wait for the day I see one on SC as I can't afford one at RRP!
    Now that’s a watch that looks like it means business. Looks menacing.

As you can imagine, I absolutely love the way this looks. But, I know it’s too massive for me. My SBDX017 is as large as I can go.

As you can imagine, I absolutely love the way this looks. But, I know it’s too massive for me. My SBDX017 is as large as I can go.

So I saw this last night in Bangkok. In the pics it looks like a piece of cr@p. In the metal it's awesome. Not £5k awesome but I've been offered it at £3.6k here. That's got me thinking - I'll probably still pass as it's not flip-proof (£3k or less and I'd be all over it) and I'm still not keen on the clasp but it is a lovely watch with aggressive styling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have the MM300, MM600 and GS diver and think the GS diver is the best Seiko diver...so I still want a Rolex Hulk

bTW the new SD 300 is certainly ms photogenic but the minute hand is kinda thin in real life.

Looks very interesting.
    In the picture the crown long a little too long. Need to see it real life.

Seiko keeps on issuing so many versions of MM300, it is hard to keep up.
    Stopping at four

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So I saw this last night in Bangkok. In the pics it looks like a piece of cr@p. In the metal it's awesome. Not £5k awesome but I've been offered it at £3.6k here. That's got me thinking - I'll probably still pass as it's not flip-proof (£3k or less and I'd be all over it) and I'm still not keen on the clasp but it is a lovely watch with aggressive styling.

3.6 is tempting but not tempting enough. Wouldn't be taking a complete bath but would still be quite the shower!

Couple of pics plus one of a really nice Grand Seiko.

That crown is quite long but otherwise it looks great. Would be great to have alongside the SLA021.

That crown is quite long but otherwise it looks great. Would be great to have alongside the SLA021.
    Crown was unscrewed btw. What I will say though is that there was a significant difference in fit and finish between that and the Grand Seiko sports watches. It was very noticeable and the price difference was less noticeable so I'm kind of thinking that unless you really liked the Prospex styling that the GS Springdrive diver would be where most choices would go I reckon which makes me wonder why Seiko released this

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    God no.
    Its a nice watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Crown was unscrewed btw. What I will say though is that there was a significant difference in fit and finish between that and the Grand Seiko sports watches. It was very noticeable and the price difference was less noticeable so I'm kind of thinking that unless you really liked the Prospex styling that the GS Springdrive diver would be where most choices would go I reckon which makes me wonder why Seiko released this

I do love the Prospex styling but not looking to rip myself off. Not in love with with the GS divers so would just put funds towards something else. Shame.

Master
    I think its the 2nd best divers watch of all time. IMO the seiko 6309 is the best pound for pond dive watch of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Seiko keeps on issuing so many versions of MM300, it is hard to keep up.
    Stopping at four

Great collection!