closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rio De Janeiro

Rio De Janeiro

Looks like I’m off to Rio and surrounding areas soon. I’ve never been to South America before but apparently Rio can be rather unsafe in some areas.

I’ve decided that I’ll be taking something that is clearly inexpensive (either a Swatch Sistem51 or a G Shock 5600). Am I being paranoid, or is Rio as dodgy as I’ve heard?

I’m usually happy to wear something inexpensive if I think it’s appropriate, and I genuinely love my Swatch and G Shock. But I’m wondering how wary I need to be when I’m there.

I’d say that’s sensible not paranoid. It’s a great city but like any big city it has problems with crime, but don’t let paranoia get in the way of having a good time though. Realistically, the worst that could happen is that someone relieves you of some money and a watch. If they try to just hand them over and enjoy the rest of your time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Looks like I’m off to Rio and surrounding areas soon. I’ve never been to South America before but apparently Rio can be rather unsafe in some areas.

I’ve decided that I’ll be taking something that is clearly inexpensive (either a Swatch Sistem51 or a G Shock 5600). Am I being paranoid, or is Rio as dodgy as I’ve heard?

I’m usually happy to wear something inexpensive if I think it’s appropriate, and I genuinely love my Swatch and G Shock. But I’m wondering how wary I need to be when I’m there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It is a big city with lots of potential for crime. Drawing attention to yourself with a nice watch is not worth it. It is a wonderful place but very easy to stray into the wrong area. If you take an internal flight, the landing in Rio is interesting.

Master
    Not been for a few years, but I know it was pretty bad when I went. You really don’t want to be showing any signs of wealth, so just take the cheapies

A friend of mine grew up in Rio and often visits her family there still.

She says Rio is safe 'if you don't flash expensive things around', that would include watches and cameras, so I think you're wise.

Obviously some parts of Rio are tougher than others. She says there are places she only goes with locals.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    It is as bad as you have heard. All friends from there are clear. No showing of wealth in public and in case of mugging hand the stuff over and be happy to stay alive.

I crew change out of Rio every month and often spend a night there just of Copacabana behind the palace hotel. Like any city there is crime and if you look like a tourist you're more likely a target. In the Copa area the streets (in my experience) are ok if you're sensible with your appearance. Nowt flashy really. I've stumbled around there drunk at 2 am and had no issues. Along Copa beach itself around the Palace hotel is where alot of hookers and ladyboys hang out and will try to pickpocket you as you walk past. On the other side of the road next to the beach is generally fine as its better lit. There is a large police (local and private) present along the main drag mainly to protect tourists.

Lapa is good at night, though the viaduct can be dodgy and again stick to the well lit areas and avoid the side streets, avoid Centro at night altogether as there are huge amounts of homeless there and crime is high but its the main business area during the day so generally ok. I'm told Ipenema is ok and Lebon further along is the up and coming neighbourhood. Ubers are a good way to get about at night.

For info I wear a GW-5000 when out here

Craftsman
    You're being wise.. take nothing expensive, friends of mine had a gun pulled on them by a 14yr old mugger in sao Paolo a few years ago!!!!
    As has been said any issues just hand it over no point getting hurt over a watch and a wallet...
    Most importantly enjoy yourself in a vibrant city!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Rio is dodgy and you do need to be careful. I wear an F91-W when I'm in Brazil. In Rio, you'll see a lot of the locals choose not to even wear a watch when in the streets so as not to offer any temptation.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 17th August 2019 at 15:55.

Craftsman
    I have been to Rio (and other Brazilian cities) many times. I once hired a car in Sao Paulo and drove one way back to Rio along the coast road which was exciting especially not speaking any of the hispanic languages.

I would not wear any watch at all, nothing, no jewellery at all. I'd also keep a minimum of $20 on me to pacify any muggers but touch wood, never had the misfortune to be had.

By way of coincidence, just Whatsapping my gf who's lying on a beach in Rio right now ;-)
    Last edited by broxie; 18th August 2019 at 05:02.

Craftsman
    Blond, ginger, pale-skinned, sunburnt, socks with sandals, dated dress sense?

Any of the above and you will stand out as a vulnerable tourist irrespective of whether you're wearing a watch.
    Best to be swarthy.

Husband & wife friends of ours went on a 3 week 3-centre holiday to Brazil. First half of holiday was in Rio. First proper night out, they went with ex-pat colleagues to a swanky hillside restaurant. Swanky enough to justify having an armed guard on the door.

During the evening, an armed gang turned up, shot the guard, and proceeded to order all guests to hand over valuables and wallets. During this frenzy, my mate had a gun pushed to his head whilst being yelled at incoherently in Portuguese.
    Needless to say, they were so shook up they cut the holiday short and returned after 3 days.

Take a bag of cheap fakes?

Master
    G-Shock all da way.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Gshock,went to Rio on 2013,I was wearing sbdx011 in some area even the seedy people are eyeing that watch...my other watch was Gshock 9330 and it’s much safer to wear there...

Hello, my wife is from Rio and I spend a fair amount of time there. No signs of wealth when outside! Wear a cheap watch and plain clothes! Anywhere. Copa, Ipanema, Leblon, Lapa are full of tourist and generally pretty safe but attract attention. Brazil and Brazilians are awesome but there is a huge gap between have and have-not and there is no clear line between where the one live and the other survive. Use Uber or have a local drive you. My advice: Don’t hire a car and use Google Maps to go around.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Rio is not a true representation of Brazil. There are so many other places to visit where you will be amazed and also as safe as being at home

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A friend of mine worked out there a few times, couldn’t understand why they booked 2 taxis for a party of 3 from the airport?
    It was because if one broke down you could get straight in to the one following and not risk the camera/filming kit or yourself!!?