closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Help de-mystify flashlights please

  1. #1
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,301

    Help de-mystify flashlights please

    I've carried a simple hi/lo/strobe/zoom pocket flashlight for years, I don't even know the lumen rating. I've misplaced it and wish to replace it but here's where the confusion starts. I've seen quite a few listings rated between 500-850 lumens selling for up to £90 and then there are thousands of others with claimed ratings of 1000, 2000 and more for just a few pounds (I even saw one rated in N/m). Then you have the "military tactical" type advertised as "get this now before they are banned" with a picture showing the flashlight illuminating the landscape for many miles.

    I'm just looking for a simple hi/lo/strobe/zoom pocket flashlight which doesn't break the bank, it can be AA, AAA or 18650.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  2. #2
    Look at the Lenser Tactical Series Eddie.

    SureFire are also decent.

    The problem with flashlights is they can write whatever they want in the title!

    Doesn't necessarily mean its true.

    Infact - I think I have an LED Lenser T7 somewhere that I haven't used I can send you that if you fancy.

  3. #3
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,762
    Does this fit the bill...link?

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Surrey, United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    LED Lenser are good, you can get them on amazon, and they are occasionally on offer.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,128
    I've had one of these for a couple of years an used it camping, sailing and general use and it's awesome!!! I find it's more than enough for my needs.

    ē https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/profes...led-torch.html

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ' EXEMPLO DUCEMUS '
    Posts
    5,031
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Look at the Lenser Tactical Series Eddie.

    SureFire are also decent.

    The problem with flashlights is they can write whatever they want in the title!

    Doesn't necessarily mean its true.

    Infact - I think I have an LED Lenser T7 somewhere that I haven't used I can send you that if you fancy.

    I used Surefire torches whilst serving in the Army which are really good, but I thought the batteries were a tad expensive as they use the same as what you fit into cameras. You can also go the rechargable route for them.

  7. #7

    Help de-mystify flashlights please

    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I used Surefire torches whilst serving in the Army which are really good, but I thought the batteries were a tad expensive as they use the same as what you fit into cameras. You can also go the rechargable route for them.
    I have an E2D Defender Ultra and to he honest finding one of those batteries in a remote part of Iceland is not fun.

    Canít beat an AA battery


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,762
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I've had one of these for a couple of years an used it camping, sailing and general use and it's awesome!!! I find it's more than enough for my needs.

    ē https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/profes...led-torch.html
    LED Lenser have a very nice zoom system that locks but the P7 (and others) lack the strobe that Eddie wants.

  9. #9
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,543
    I find the LED Lenser TT more than adequate - 3 x AAA batteries.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 17th August 2019 at 11:03.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  10. #10
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    12,702
    I think most use the same cree led light sources, the extra money you spend on branded ones will mostly be improved build and circuit quality.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  11. #11
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    I have an E2D Defender Ultra and to he honest finding one of those batteries in a remote part of Iceland is not fun.

    Canít beat an AA battery


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I agree, I always get AAA or AA compatible as I know I can get new batteries anywhere.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  12. #12
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    21,445
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'm just looking for a simple hi/lo/strobe/zoom pocket flashlight which doesn't break the bank, it can be AA, AAA or 18650.
    I'd suggest 18650 as anything running off AA or AAA today seems to guzzle batteries way too quickly.

    Beyond that, I can recommend these two:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32000LM-S...t/361693575966
    £13.62 for the 8 LED version, £17.61 for the 12 LED version
    These all take four 18650 batteries and I have the 8 LED version. Very bright, does high, low, strobe, but not zoom. Not quite pocketable (short but thick) but good as a house torch.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-...0/173555276628
    £3.79
    This takes a single 18650 and I also have one of these. I think this one covers your requirements: High, medium, low, strobe, SOS, zoom. Easily pocketable, does the job.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th August 2019 at 12:10. Reason: Fixed URL, thanks to PickleB

  13. #13
    Grand Master VDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whitehole
    Posts
    18,864
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Does this fit the bill...link?
    I have one of these and it does the job, my only gripe is that itís not possible to focus the beam unlike in that 4DD aluminium thingy.
    If you sit by the river long enough, you'll see your brand new with tags bargepole float by right after the swine which choked on the pearls.

  14. #14
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,438
    Buy a set of rechargeable batteries and a cheap charger, Iím not a fan of items with built in rechargeable batteries.

  15. #15
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,762
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'd suggest 18650 as anything running off AA or AAA today seems to guzzle batteries way too quickly.

    Beyond that, I can recommend these two:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32000LM-S...t/361693575966
    £13.62 for the 8 LED version, £17.61 for the 12 LED version
    These all take four 18650 batteries and I have the 8 LED version. Very bright, does high, low, strobe, but not zoom. Not quite pocketable (short but thick) but good as a house torch.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-...50/17355527662
    £3.79
    This takes a single 18650 and I also have one of these. I think this one covers your requirements: High, medium, low, strobe, SOS, zoom. Easily pocketable, does the job.
    Follow the 2nd link and add an 8 to the end for it to work.

  16. #16
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    21,445
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Follow the 2nd link and add an 8 to the end for it to work.
    Thank you, have now fixed the link.

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    631
    18650 will give you more power than AA or AAA.

    Everyone has their favourite makes.

    Iíve a few Olight torches, well built, good customer service, not the cheapest.

    https://www.olightstore.uk

  18. #18
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,762
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Buy a set of rechargeable batteries and a cheap charger, Iím not a fan of items with built in rechargeable batteries.
    For a single cell chargers don't come much more simple and transportable than this Olight cable...eBay link.

  19. #19
    I got a cheap £10 Aldi for the car. It's a little bit clunky but it does the job admirably. Unless you're a world traveller I'd suggest a rechargeable 18650. I can recharge in September and use until next April-May. They go on forever.

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    149
    Eddie

    Get yourself onto

    Candlepowerforums.com

    Seriously good forum for torches and you will get good advice...ive always received great suggestions for a torch to the spec im looking for.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,370
    All my torches now run on 18650, it makes it easy for me, and I've built up a collection of batteries for them and a good quality charger.
    Depending on the use I think a torch can be too bright and 400-1000 lumens will do me for most situations.
    If you can go without the strobe then I'm a fan of led lensers and have had a fair few over the years.

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    31,155
    You might find something suitable from Fenix. I have several for differing uses, the oldest is over 15yrs old from my Fire Service days, battered and well worn but still working perfectly. They are very well made, and plenty of UK stockists. http://www.fenixlight.com/

  23. #23
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You might find something suitable from Fenix. I have several for differing uses, the oldest is over 15yrs old from my Fire Service days, battered and well worn but still working perfectly. They are very well made, and plenty of UK stockists. http://www.fenixlight.com/
    I'd second this ive had a fenix before and they are robust well specced torches.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    If you can go without the strobe then I'm a fan of led lensers and have had a fair few over the years.

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Agree, never needed a strobe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,434
    Have a look at ďThruniteĒ I bought my wife one of their headlamps for when sheís down with the horses during winter..

    Incredible amount of light from such a small device, and fantastic battery life... waterproof etc as well...

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    biddulph moor
    Posts
    412
    I had one of these when they were branded inova, brilliant little light with all the functions.

    Bright but not great distance.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nite-Ize-Mi...=inova+&sr=8-2

  27. #27
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,762
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I had one of these when they were branded inova, brilliant little light with all the functions.

    Bright but not great distance.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nite-Ize-Mi...=inova+&sr=8-2
    I hadn't seen the Nite Ize Microlight but then I'm a fan of the Nitecore Tube as a light for my keyring. They're not unreasonably priced on Amazon etc, but if you don't mind waiting they are cheaper from China...link. They work but I cannot be sure if they're fakes or not.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've carried a simple hi/lo/strobe/zoom pocket flashlight for years, I don't even know the lumen rating. I've misplaced it and wish to replace it but here's where the confusion starts. I've seen quite a few listings rated between 500-850 lumens selling for up to £90 and then there are thousands of others with claimed ratings of 1000, 2000 and more for just a few pounds (I even saw one rated in N/m). Then you have the "military tactical" type advertised as "get this now before they are banned" with a picture showing the flashlight illuminating the landscape for many miles.

    I'm just looking for a simple hi/lo/strobe/zoom pocket flashlight which doesn't break the bank, it can be AA, AAA or 18650.

    Eddie
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332135934228

    I put a heads up on here ages ago about these (when they were £1 or so?)

    Zoom/strobe/aa battery

    I carry a couple when walking the dog at 6am in winter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •