closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Popularity of solar watches

Master

Popularity of solar watches

I noticed quite a few Seiko Solar watches being mentioned in threads or sold on SC. Are solar watches somehow trendier than regular quartz watches? Is a solar watch less blasphemous 🙂 than a standard quartz?

Recent Seiko Solar watches look good, so is this just a Seiko thing?
    Last edited by Dougal; 16th August 2019 at 23:23.

Master
    I don't think they're trendier but they certainly are really convenient. And perhaps the necessity of keeping them charged gives the owner a bit of responsibility that makes them more interesting.

I must have at least ten of them. It's not just a Seiko thing, some of the Citizen models are very nice as well. So are the solar G Shocks and Edifices, though perhaps not to everyone's taste.

My first solar-powered watch was a Pulsar; I bought it in 1988 or 1989. The capacitor died about three years later. A simple battery would have lasted longer. But the technology is much better now and they last a long time.

The appeal to me is the supposed reduced need to open them up to replace the battery. Anything which keeps working seals etc. in place and minimises them having to go off to be sorted is only a good thing in my book.

But I only own one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    the necessity of keeping them charged gives the owner a bit of responsibility that makes them more interesting.
    Yes, perhaps this explains why solar watches get more attention by WIS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The appeal to me is the supposed reduced need to open them up to replace the battery. Anything which keeps working seals etc. in place and minimises them having to go off to be sorted is only a good thing in my book.

But I only own one!
    Same here.
    I had a Seiko kinetic for similar reasons, but solar is just easier to keep charged now that I have more watches.

z

Master
    This nicely segues into something I was thinking about. So what's the concerted thoughts re. solar vs kinetic?

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    This nicely segues into something I was thinking about. So what's the concerted thoughts re. solar vs kinetic?
    With kinetic there are more things to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    My first solar-powered watch was a Pulsar; I bought it in 1988 or 1989.
    Hasn't Pulsar been a Seiko brand since the late seventies? Presumably it's the same technology as was used in their Seiko-branded watches?

My first light-powered watch was a Junghans Mega Solar 018/1810 which I bought second-hand in 2000 - as somebody who loves technology, I was really impressed that a single watch was (1) radio controlled, (2) light powered, (3) analogue and digital, and (4) used a ceramic case.

(Picture stolen from the web).

I bought citizen solars for wife and mother in law so they don't fuss about.
    Except once a month.
    Female designs are really nice.

I bought the seiko diver chrono for me as holiday watch.

For me solar is the new kinetic

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

But I only own one!
    Yes, me also, I've got 4, 3 Citizens and a Seiko. There's always a snag of course - I'm now neurotic about keeping them charged and putting them in sunlight whenever there's any to be found - I sometimes even think I'd better not wear it as its getting a good charge at the moment! This says rather more about my madness than anything about the watch I hasten to add!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    With Kinetic you really have to wear it reasonably often to keep it charged. At least with Solar you can leave it on the windowsill and it'll keep charged if you aren't wearing it.
    Early Kinetics weren't that reliable...I spent what was a fortune for me (£300) on an early Seiko Kinetic and I had more trouble with it than any other watch, even the cheapest crap. The early ones had capacitors rather than cells which wasn't a good idea. However, since I had the movement upgraded its given no problems and its as tough as nails. Its now my rough work watch.

The only minor snag is that the kinetic charging mechanism is a bit noisy though you don't notice it when you are wearing it.

Master
    I have two and besides being solar one is atomic and one is GPS so always right time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Yes, me also, I've got 4, 3 Citizens and a Seiko. There's always a snag of course - I'm now neurotic about keeping them charged and putting them in sunlight whenever there's any to be found - I sometimes even think I'd better not wear it as its getting a good charge at the moment! This says rather more about my madness than anything about the watch I hasten to add!
    Welcome to my world,that’s why I decided 4 is enough and bought a glass topped watch box.
    I do like the 4 I have though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I read this and laughed, given that mine is currently sunbathing on the kitchen window sill 😂

I've got an old eco drive (around 18 years old) that ticks merrily away. I've changed the capacitor once in that time and I'm still impressed it works well.

I also had a couple of eco drive watches I gave to friends.

Overall I would say that it's a convenient technology, just charge it occasionally, and they keep going.

It's probably got much better over time, and I'd quite happily buy another.

I haven't thought about it, but would happily buy a solar or quartz as long as I find the design interesting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've had this Citizen for about 18 months & it is a great watch to have in a collection of automatics.
    Super accurate & a watch that lives in a cupboard but gets a lot of wrist time - never bothered charging it specifically & it hasn't missed a beat!
    Obviously it is sunbathing in this photo though!

I have also had this Casio Protrek for a long time maybe 15 years?
    Also never really charged it, but gets used pretty much every week when doing sport / coaching.
    Again still working as it did the day I bought it.

I would take a solar watch over a quartz every time if there was a choice of similar watches - purely for the lack of effort needed to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    These are great grab and go watches, very accurate very robust.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    [COLOR=#000080]Hasn't Pulsar been a Seiko brand since the late seventies? Presumably it's the same technology as was used in their Seiko-branded watches?
    Not sure. It's definitely a different technology than is used today; it had a circular light-sensitive element around the dial (a sort of static bezel I guess) and would only go a day or two at most on a full charge.

My first light-powered watch was a Junghans Mega Solar 018/1810 which I bought second-hand in 2000 - as somebody who loves technology, I was really impressed that a single watch was (1) radio controlled, (2) light powered, (3) analogue and digital, and (4) used a ceramic case.
    Junghans seems to have been an innovator; the first radio-controlled watch I saw was made by them. Had a large receiver module sticking out of the side of the case.

I now own a Citizen and two Casio's that are solar , all three very accurate and robust .

Solar has an appeal that battery and kinetic quartz lacks. If I knew why I'd be sure to announce it
    Gray

Master

I got this from Rakuten (spelling?) and love it for its accuracy. Laughing at the earlier post of watch balanced on paint pot near window as my window is exactly the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My UK diving dive watch, the one that does the dark, murky dives with me, is a Citizen.

It's an Eco-Drive and so is always charged and ready to go.

I partly bought it because I think it's rather cool looking and different, partly because it was on offer (50% off!) and partly because I wanted a watch that I wouldn't worry about losing on a wreck (or in the murk of a UK inland site) somewhere.

I bought it in 2012 and it's done well over 300 dives and is going strong.

I did worry a little about the capacitor failing initially, but I've had it long enough not to worry now.

I would, though, be very sad if I lost it or it failed as it's been on many a memorable dive with me.

M

Craftsman
    I've had this eco drive for about 15 years. It cost £40 from Argos and has outlasted a couple of G Shocks and a few other 'tactical' watches. It's climbed mountains all over Europe and been exposed to desert heat and freezing cold. I usually end up digging it out a drawer every few years when it's replacement fails. I wouldn't get it wet anymore and suspect it will only get worn when the battery in my cwc diver needs replacing.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Mine is a little less beaten up but then I have only had it since April:

To me the appeal of solar is just that. I still think being able to power something just from sitting in the sun is pretty cool.

When I was looking for a watch to take with me on outdoor persuits I wanted it to be minimal fuss so no winding or setting time and date, no worry about a battery running out, low risk of mechanical failure. So solar seemed to fit the bill.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

(Picture stolen from the web).

I had one of those in the '90s. A black dial with very thin polished hands. I thought it was the ultimate watch. Later on Junghans started putting seconds hands on this model and spoiled the look. I still think it is the ultimate watch. An amazing little package.

Master
    Bought this one a couple of weeks ago, really liking it, wanted an easy to read, blue faced solar watch and this fitted the bill, and all for 100 quid, what's not to like!

Apprentice
    Wearing the solar watch is found to be an eco-friendly one where these watches use the renewable energy source of energy to function to operate these watches do not cause any harm to the environment at any cases.