closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Speedmaster the best ever watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Thanks Jim.

It's my favourite piece out of everything I've ever owned. Will probably be buried with it I reckon (or they can fire me out into space like Scotty and I'll still be able to use it).
    I know what you mean FL. It really looks the part and ticks a lot of my boxes. I’ve gone the same way with one of my ploprofs. Great kit! But I acknowledge not everyone’s cup of tea.

Jim

I’ve had three and never kept one for more than a month, great looking watch and a true strap king but something about them goes makes me sell in the end.

I’d personally say a five digit Rolex GMT is the best ever watch imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    I know what you mean FL. It really looks the part and ticks a lot of my boxes. I’ve gone the same way with one of my ploprofs. Great kit! But I acknowledge not everyone’s cup of tea.

Jim
    Ploppys are superb. I've never owned one but I've had a couple of homages, and they've been excellent.

I might get a real one one day.

It probably is one of the best. However a had 3861 Sapphire last month, had it for about a week and found it very uncomfortable on the OEM bracelet, oddly felt very large on the dial & not that legible. I may be the only one to think that, but also didn’t feel it’s price point of luxury.

Shame as superb case, movement & winding action. Just think it wasn’t to be for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To bastardise what someone famously once said.....

I wouldn't say it was the best watch in the business. But it was in the top one.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ploppys are superb. I've never owned one but I've had a couple of homages, and they've been excellent.

I might get a real one one day.
    Let me know if you want to try. I’m sure we could work something out and you can compare

All the very best

Jim

Just for fun, and to add something completely subjective, give me a reason it's better than my Zenith de Luca...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    To bastardise what someone famously once said.....

I wouldn't say it was the best watch in the business. But it was in the top one.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Brian Clough?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Just for fun, and to add something completely subjective, give me a reason it's better than my Zenith de Luca...

It absolutely isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It absolutely isn’t.
    Missing yours, Tony? Don’t worry it’s still in safe hands!

It is beautiful but not as “at a glance” legible as the speedy in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    Missing yours, Tony? Don’t worry it’s still in safe hands!

It is beautiful but not as “at a glance” legible as the speedy in my view.

I am. Can I have it back?

Grand Master
    Speedmaster is a design classic in my opinion, but it’s been grossly over- hyped owing to the space/ moon thing. OK as part of a collection but wouldn’t be my choice as an only watch.

I think the space connection should be allowed to take its place in history and Omega should stop banging on about it. The numerous limited editions with silly names is a bit pathetic.

Master
    It's a lovely watch the Speedy, but not the best. Certainly one of the greats, but a lot better can be had for much less these days. And the lack of a date window still erks me on a good all-rounder and that's what made me move mine on. I thought I could do without one, but I refer to the date a lot more than I expected.

I prefer my Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph as a quality, every day piece that does most of what one would need - and it's just as 'spacey' as the Speedmaster.

Thread diversion. Sorry.

Your post led me to Fortis website (yet again)….and they seem to have dropped the Cosmonaut. Perhaps they have something in the pipeline for Geneva (or wherever)? I hope that they haven’t dropped it altogether. The Stratoliner is a bit too specific for a tool chrono!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Seeing as you asked -

1. The speedmaster doesn’t have a badly positioned date window.
    2. The tachymetre ring on that zenith looks like it takes up too much room which makes the watch face look too small for the watch.

How high can you go? Smiths A409 De Luxe, first to the summit of Everest in 1953; Omega Speedmaster, first to the moon in 1969. (Rolex? Who? Never heard of 'em.)

The Speedy is a very very fine looking watch -- a true classic -- but for daily wear I prefer an auto with better WR and a less cluttered dial.

Hence a watchco SM300 is my daily d(r)iver. But as someone else noted earlier the Seamaster 2254 still has some of the SM300's DNA and is more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    So whenever somebody tells you Rolex became Rolex because of marketing, be advised it was word of mouth among divers, scientists and ordinary people of the watches reliability and durability that made them the most famous watch brand in the world, and so sought after that the "preowned " market makes a fortune off of them. Omega is, and always has been, all about marketing not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Re-read what I wrote. ;)

Rolex's website is still claiming that the Oyster was the first waterproof wristwatch case; it wasn't: Charles Depollier beat them by nearly a decade (1918 vs 1926)

https://lrfantiquewatches.com/depoll...-watch%22-book

And now this, which is really bugging me: there was a watch (made by whom? I can't remember) that pre-dates the Speedy but which has almost identical dial layout, including the dot-dash-dot ("c*ck and balls") at 12 o'clock. So while you and I might think it supremely handsome, even beautiful, it's a copy of an earlier design.

10p to the first member who can tell the watch I'm trying to remember!

Replying to myself:

It's the Rodania Geometer (thanks to OF & mwr for that!)

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...lance-mystery/

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Seeing as you asked -

1. The speedmaster doesn’t have a badly positioned date window.
    2. The tachymetre ring on that zenith looks like it takes up too much room which makes the watch face look too small for the watch.
    Interesting perspective. Wrong of course

SydR
    IMHO the best watch ever is the JLC Reverso Classic.

A simple two hander uncluttered by a date and has the option to turn it dial down, for protection, when needed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The best watch in the world is objectively the F91W. Accuracy, durability, alarm, chronograph, calendar and under £10.

Game over....

Best or best value?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both. There's no high horology, backlit, alarm, annual calendar chrono with quartz-level accuracy that I know of outside of the casio-type stuff, and the F91W does it for the best price.

I'd accept a G Shock if you want additional water resistance or multi time zone etc.

My "best watch" would be a Pan Am GMT, it's technically inferior in so many ways but I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Both. There's no high horology, backlit, alarm, annual calendar chrono with quartz-level accuracy that I know of outside of the casio-type stuff, and the F91W does it for the best price.

I'd accept a G Shock if you want additional water resistance or multi time zone etc.
    As your final statement confirms, you can get better looking (subjectively) more accurate (GPS, atomic), more robust (G-Shock), more WR, longer lasting (solar) more functional watches even from the same brand. So, objectively, The F91W clearly is not the best watch.
    Last edited by gunner; 27th February 2023 at 09:09.

I'd say a Speedmaster in some guise is essential to have in your collection but best watch ever?

It’s not even the best chronograph, let alone the best watch… silly question really.

That said, I like mine a lot, especially the way you can change the look with relative ease.

Interesting perspective. Wrong of course
    I can't help thinking he was right, myself.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I can't help thinking he was right, myself.

M
    A healthy diversity of opinion.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    For me the 'best watch' ever needs to be one that can be worn anywhere for any purpose which is what lets the Speedy down as it isn't really suited for swimming.
    You do know that rather a lot of astronaut training was done underwater. Wearing Speedmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    You do know that rather a lot of astronaut training was done underwater. Wearing Speedmasters.
    Most people don't swim in a space suit though...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Most people don't swim in a space suit though...
    Absolutely. However, most people don't wear their watches on the outside of their clothes, in this case a space suit. Astronauts have to so they can see the time.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Absolutely. However, most people don't wear their watches on the outside of their clothes, in this case a space suit. Astronauts have to so they can see the time.
    good point.

It’s not even the best chronograph, let alone the best watch… silly question really.

That said, I like mine a lot, especially the way you can change the look with relative ease.

Do you mind sharing details of that strap please? It looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Do you mind sharing details of that strap please? It looks great.
    https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...-Heritage.html

Master
    As long as the crown is pain in a** to wind unless one has fingers of a little child, it’ll never be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    As long as the crown is pain in a** to wind unless one has fingers of a little child, it’ll never be.
    Fortunately there is a solution for this...

Definitely one of the best inspite of obvious shortcomings

Not the best watch but it is certainly one of the most iconic watches ever made.

I am. Can I have it back?
    Not yet!

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I just rub the pad of my finger up and down along the back of the case, so it runs over both pushers. The crown will turn back and forth, winding in one direction only.

Stop when she's had enough -- you feel when she's reached maximum and can't take any more ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I just rub the pad of my finger up and down along the back of the case, so it runs over both pushers. The crown will turn back and forth, winding in one direction only.

Stop when she's had enough -- you feel when she's reached maximum and can't take any more ;-)
    Me too, it's not difficult.

It is a fantastic watch, I had mine on today but it is flawed. Can be a pain to wind, easy to scratch the crystal, as waterproof as a pair of sandals
    But there is not much out there that compares for legibility, vintage feel and history. I would not be with out one but I have better chronographs, in fact I have better space chronographs for every day use. (Fortis B42 cosmonaut)

Yes. No. Maybe!

I love them and think they are the most versatile and the only lacking feature I would like is a greater water resistance to 100 - 150m

Master
    I've owned two Moonwatches, and sold them both. For me, the issues are: 1) bit too big, 2) no date, 3) WR is poor, 4) manual wind.

I currently have a 3220 triple date, which addresses all of these issues, but lacks the classic look.

I will replace with one of these at some point:

Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I've owned two Moonwatches, and sold them both. For me, the issues are: 1) bit too big, 2) no date, 3) WR is poor, 4) manual wind.

I currently have a 3220 triple date, which addresses all of these issues, but lacks the classic look.

I will replace with one of these at some point:

Job done.
    I tried one of those on. I really wanted to like it but it didn’t quite have the magic for me. Maybe a bit too much restyling. Omega really ought to bring back the speedy automatic / reduced with the more classic styling

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

Ive seen a few people wind watches by rolling crown back and forth. It bothers me.
    I only ever wind in one direction. Does the rolling back and forth wind not damage or is my concern about it totally unfounded because I think it looks weird?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ive seen a few people wind watches by rolling crown back and forth. It bothers me.
    I only ever wind in one direction. Does the rolling back and forth wind not damage or is my concern about it totally unfounded because I think it looks weird?
    Can always separate fingers slightly on the 'back' stroke if unsure.
    The way the Rev described was demonstrated to me at an Omega boutique

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont find the speedy hard to wind so I'll stick to my method. I was just wondering about the back and forth one as I see it quite regularly.
    One of my pals wound my old GO like that when he was firing it up and I nearly (quietly) had kittens

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I'd say a Speedmaster in some guise is essential to have in your collection but best watch ever?

I do love that model.

I was told by a watch maker that winding back and forth places less strain on the crown gasket and stem so he considered it a better better to wind a watch.
    I have wound them that way ever since, I never wind one direction only.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st March 2023 at 13:42.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I was told by a watch maker that winding back and forth places less strain on the crown gasket and stem so he considered it a better better to wind a watch.
    I have wound them that way ever since, I never wind one direction only.
    Oooooooh that is interesting! and does make some sense to me actually.
    I might have to rethink.

Oooooooh that is interesting! and does make some sense to me actually.
    I might have to rethink.
    He also suggested trying to apply equal pressure to the crown (neither up or down pressure) as this can bend the stem and go easy, don’t force it.

Another tip was to wind the crown back on all screw down crowns to the point that you find the start of the threads
    This minimises the chance for cross threads and helps slow down wear.

I have had a lot less issues with crowns ever since - you can guess why we had the conversation in the first place!