closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Speedmaster the best ever watch.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    It's the Manchester United of the watch world.
    It's not the best. It has its moments. Arguably the most talked-about.
    Surely that's the Rolex Submariner?

The manual wind movement is always going to make the Speedmaster a bit of a left-field choice.

At the risk of repeating myself, I just don't see 100s of Speedmasters out and about - The only one I'm aware of personally is a friend who has a reduced, but he also has a Seamaster Quartz.

I constantly read that 'everyone has Speedmaster', but I've seen far more Seamasters and Rolex Subs on people's wrists than Speedmasters.

Aside from watch forums, where do people encounter so many?

I like mine and I don't recognise many of the negative responses from people (I don't dive in mine, but I don't dive in most of my watches!), but I wouldn't rate it as the 'best watch ever', anymore than I would any other watch - It's like 'the best car ever' or 'the best plane ever', there are too many variables for any one example ever to take the top spot.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 24th July 2020 at 11:21.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Wearing mine now and it's been on my wrist for a few months now.... I've got a box with other models on the dressing table but I've got lazy with this lockdown thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Fell out of love with mine. Don't really know why. But no, it isn't. The IWC Mk XII is.
    I've got a bit of the love back now, since I regulated and re-strapped it. But it's still not the best ever watch.

I've got a bit of the love back now, since I regulated and re-strapped it. But it's still not the best ever watch.

That’s my favourite variant of the Speedy. I do keep a look out for good prices on Chrono24 and would like to a put a Pro black bezel on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think it could be said that the Speedmaster is one of the most iconic watches ever (the other being the submariner?!), but if there was a best watch ever there wouldn’t be this forum....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Best chronograph, definitely. But it's not a go anywhere do anything watch.

It’s a no from me. I’ve always toyed with the idea of buying one but have always found something else that exceeds my desire for it. The hand wound movement, no date and lack of use for a chronograph leads me elsewhere every time. I think I’ll stick with my basic bitch SubC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicbex View Post
    Best chronograph, definitely. But it's not a go anywhere do anything watch.
    It’s no where near best chrono if you know anything about watches, let me just pluck a chrono out the air, how does it compare with the f385?

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Like a few watches its just a classic that even non watch geeks recognise.
    Very few might.

Master
    Both the speedmaster and the submariner are iconic watches, I’ve had them both and I still have a DSOM but wear a GShock 95% of the time. Nicest looking watch I’ve had was a breitling spatiograph with champagne dial and steel and gold bracelet but it broke after 15 months and breitling did a shit job fixing it so It got sold.

I’m not going to the moon or the bottom of the ocean so tbh both watches are pointless trinkets.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I don’t know about it being the best watch but it’s certainly very comfortable to wear and pleasing to the eye.
    I’ve recently added this ‘74 to my collection and will pick up an insert at some point.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    Controversial opinion ahead - the speedmaster moonwatch is a watch you buy, gush on the internet about it for 6 months, and then sell if cause its boring. Reduced's are too small.
    Nah, still gushing after fifteen years.

Blog Entries
    You can spice them up a bit with the multitude of LE / SEs

Love my Apollo 8 - with Cal 1869

I have owned a couple - both standard hesalite crystal versions, although one was a special anniversary one, can’t remember which. They just didn’t click with me somehow, just a bit lacklustre and old fashioned looking but in a ‘geeky’ way imho. Every time I see one on a wrist I think ‘someone who’s a space nerd’ - which is funny as growing up as a kid I wanted to be a spaceman, but the nerdiness doesn’t appeal. Mind you every time I see a submariner I think ‘man jewellery, no imagination’ - they’re kind of ‘the non thinking mans luxury watch’ for those who believe the marketing and lack the imagination to buy something a little individual - but maybe I say that after 30 years of buying and selling the ‘classics’ - I just find them a bit boring, but it took years to reach that conclusion!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I have owned a couple - both standard hesalite crystal versions, although one was a special anniversary one, can’t remember which. They just didn’t click with me somehow, just a bit lacklustre and old fashioned looking but in a ‘geeky’ way imho. Every time I see one on a wrist I think ‘someone who’s a space nerd’ - which is funny as growing up as a kid I wanted to be a spaceman, but the nerdiness doesn’t appeal. Mind you every time I see a submariner I think ‘man jewellery, no imagination’ - they’re kind of ‘the non thinking mans luxury watch’ for those who believe the marketing and lack the imagination to buy something a little individual - but maybe I say that after 30 years of buying and selling the ‘classics’ - I just find them a bit boring, but it took years to reach that conclusion!
    Wow Rolex and Omega fanbois will be all over you now where can I send the remberance gift to!

- - - Updated - - -

Although I can't really afford a new watch with my current situation, I've got my eye out for a secondhand Speedy at the right price. I already own a Speedmaster '57 with the coaxial movement but I would like to add a more classic model.

It's pretty theoretical at the moment but the right watch at the right price I might purchase as long as I could be confident in moving it on quickly without much loss if I needed to....I keep changing my mind between a normal Moonwatch, a Sapphire Sandwich and a FOIS. Which of those would you go for?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Although I can't really afford a new watch with my current situation, I've got my eye out for a secondhand Speedy at the right price. I already own a Speedmaster '57 with the coaxial movement but I would like to add a more classic model.

It's pretty theoretical at the moment but the right watch at the right price I might purchase as long as I could be confident in moving it on quickly without much loss if I needed to....I keep changing my mind between a normal Moonwatch, a Sapphire Sandwich and a FOIS. Which of those would you go for?
    I would go for this one

Picture is from Koyote33 at Omega forums

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I would go for this one

Picture is from Koyote33 at Omega forums
    I used to have that one! Purchased in about 2000 brand new from an AD for £1000!

I've owned 3 moonwatches and 2 Breitling Navitimers including a B01. The Navitimer is by far the nicer watch. Moonwatch feels very basic in comparison.
    That’s an interesting observation, since I sold my Gemini 4 to fund the purchase of my Navitimer World (which I still own).

Simon

Master
    I used to have that one! Purchased in about 2000 brand new from an AD for £1000!
    Sorry for your loss!

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Sorry for your loss!
    I'm an idiot flipper...only got myself to blame!

I’ve got this model. I don’t wear it often but when I do I’m reminded how much I like it, very cool watch IMO

Master

I’d go for the normal Moonwatch. Had a couple but currently without one. Need to put that right sometime.

Best watch ever for Walter Mitty types.

Down side, Manual wind, lack of date, Cost, questionable water resistance, more versions than you can poke a stick at, naff limited editions, Omega servicing, not the first watch in space, not very legible. On the plus side some versions were worn on the Moon and it has a chrono function (for those who wish to time the burn of their re-entry).

Surely the best watch would be quartz, cheap, waterproof and multifunctional. Like a Casio or something like the Breitling Aerospace.
    Last edited by Andyg; 29th July 2020 at 16:47.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Having had mine in for a new crytsal lately I'd serious separation anxiety. Delighted to have it back. There's something very appealing about it on the wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Down side, Manual wind, lack of date, Cost, questionable water resistance, more versions than you can poke a stick at, naff limited editions, Omega servicing, not the first watch in space, not very legible. On the plus side some versions were worn on the Moon and it has a chrono function (for those who wish to time the burn of their re-entry).

Surely the best watch would be quartz, cheap, waterproof and multifunctional. Like a Casio or something like the Breitling Aerospace.
    Andy

Your becoming a Debbie Downer party pooper watch owner!

Journeyman

Downside manual wind? Surely that’s a massive uptick. Character watch. Old school winding.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watching brief View Post
    Downside manual wind? Surely that’s a massive uptick. Character watch. Old school winding.
    Manual wind used to bug me as the crown is hard to grip compared to say an Onion crown on my stowa but ive got the knack of rolling it from underneath with my finger and it works well enough

Are you sure you're on the right forum?

Objectively, you're right about the 'best' watch (and it wouldn't be the Breitling), but that's hardly the point is it? In fact, unless you're buying an F91W, you'd just be wasting money!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Unless there's a screw-down crown, I prefer manual wind as well. Bit more control, and can sometimes be used to maintain accuracy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, nope or keep feeding your pony.

M

Not for me by any stretch of the imagination. Looks like something from the Argos catalogue along with the Daytona.

The best ever sports watch is quite probably the Casio G-Shock GW5000-1JF.

As much as we all like a nice Automatic or manual wind steel sports watch, they are all pretty bad at achieving their primary function.. Keeping accurate time!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by senraw; 1st August 2020 at 20:48.

Master
    It wouldn't even make my top 10. As many have said, the manual wind crown is awful. The crystal is softer that warm butter and the Chinese made bracelet is far too blingy for a sports watch.

G-shock or Seiko SKX beats it hands down. If I had to choose a chronograph then Breitling Navitimer or even a Seiko Pogue would top it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    It wouldn't even make my top 10. As many have said, the manual wind crown is awful. The crystal is softer that warm butter and the Chinese made bracelet is far too blingy for a sports watch.

G-shock or Seiko SKX beats it hands down. If I had to choose a chronograph then Breitling Navitimer or even a Seiko Pogue would top it for me.
    The Pogue is one of my all time favourites and I would have one over a Speedmaster any day of the week. Problem is they are iften either old, fragile and difficult to have set up or are frankens. A good quality reissue would be marvellous.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I always thought the Moonwatch was more universally loved than suggested in this thread. There's no doubt the marketing is what sells it, but the same can be said for most luxury watches.

I always thought the Moonwatch was more universally loved than suggested in this thread. There's no doubt the marketing is what sells it, but the same can be said for most luxury watches.
    I think it is quite universally loved, but anything that so clearly sets up something from the mid-range as being "The Best Ever" is going to get a lot more comments as to why it ain't all that.
    Which is fair, it isn't the best ever.
    But as has been said before, it is iconic. And massively important to Omega. And in production in almost exactly the same specfication now more than 50 years after the move to the later 861 movement.
    Which has to be a unique testament to the model, that it still sells.
    Not forgetting the massive number of other models it has spawned, due to its fame.
    Iconic, important, with unique longevity and legacy. All these things.
    Best ever? No
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think it is quite universally loved, but anything that so clearly sets up something from the mid-range as being "The Best Ever" is going to get a lot more comments as to why it ain't all that.
    Which is fair, it isn't the best ever.
    But as has been said before, it is iconic. And massively important to Omega. And in production in almost exactly the same specfication now more than 50 years after the move to the later 861 movement.
    Which has to be a unique testament to the model, that it still sells.
    Not forgetting the massive number of other models it has spawned, due to its fame.
    Iconic, important, with unique longevity and legacy. All these things.
    Best ever? No
    D
    True. Just reminded myself of the thread title too!

The model has definitely been pushed up by Omega in both RRP and brand positioning beyond it's actual quality, only based on marketing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Have just rejoined the Omega Speedmaster moonwatch love and I have to admit I have asked myself the question of is the Speedy the greatest sports watch ever.

With the history, build quality and price point, you get one hell of a watch. A watch which has changed little since NASA took it on board in the 60’s. With all this clamour for all that is Rolex or limited edition Speedmasters , buyers paying double or even triple to own one from the grey market, what are you actually getting that the original steel Speedmaster does not deliver.

Looking at the Speedmaster and the current watch market, I really do believe it is simply the best sports model available.
    It’s a great watch, but not the best - simply because you can’t wear it to do anything. For example, you can’t swim with it, you shouldn’t shower with it and the crystal, in my view, isn’t robust enough.

There’s no such thing as one best watch, just what’s best for you and what’s best for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    It’s a great watch, but not the best - simply because you can’t wear it to do anything. For example, you can’t swim with it, you shouldn’t shower with it and the crystal, in my view, isn’t robust enough.

There’s no such thing as one best watch, just what’s best for you and what’s best for me.
    Disagree..I wore mine doing the ironing at it's fine :) agree though I seriously want to keep it clean so I don't do anything remotely physical with it

I like the moonwatch, had o e for a short period. But it's not a "one and done" watch. The manual wind thing was not as much of an issue as I thought, but the water resistance and delicacy is. Also I find the entire moon connection to be little more than cynical marketing to appeal to the 'member berries. Always loads for sale. If somebody asked me to reccomend a good "one" watch I would not reccomend a speedmaster. If somebody asked me to reccomend a chrono for a larger collection I most certainly would.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

It's not a watch to be worn in all occasions, but I'm one of those people who can't fathom why you'd wear a watch in the shower or why you'd need to tell the time in the swimming pool.

At secondhand prices, it's a great watch for the collection but it's quite basic and I think Omega have pushed this model too far up the collection to the point you really are paying for marketing. It's definitely no Navitimer...give me a B01 or Omega 9300 co-axial movement any day.

Craftsman
    Having owned one for the last 4 years, but I've only in the last week moved mine on.

It is a watch to really love and the history is glorious. However, I couldn't justify keeping it and, having been at home locked down for months, not wearing it enough to keep in a drawer.

I'll fully expect to buy one again in the future. It is a classic for good reason (all the exclusives and limited editions aside) if only for the manual wind and hesalite glow

Master

It's on a NATO now. Still feeling the love. Actually I've never found a strap I liked as much on it as the original tan leather + deployant, but that's looking a bit worn out now.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post

Yet some how it managed to pass some reasonably stringent tests by NASA

https://www.twentytwoten.com/1574/na...ter-moonwatch/

Master
    It's a lovely watch the Speedy, but not the best. Certainly one of the greats, but a lot better can be had for much less these days. And the lack of a date window still erks me on a good all-rounder and that's what made me move mine on. I thought I could do without one, but I refer to the date a lot more than I expected.

I prefer my Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph as a quality, every day piece that does most of what one would need - and it's just as 'spacey' as the Speedmaster.

Last edited by Filterlab; 25th February 2023 at 13:42.

A good contender to be one of the very best for sure, if not the best.
    Why you say?
    The standard speedy hesalite as we know it, apart from some very minor tweaks like the logo, is aesthetically speaking the same watch today as it was in the late 60s.
    It looks as modern and relevant today as it always has. No ceramic, no applied logos, etc.

The submariner is an icon but its appearance has shifted towards something more shiny and luxurious looking, the standard speedy has stayed virtually unchanged for over 50 years, it is literally timeless!

It is good it is not more waterproof, or more scratch resistant. Gives me an excuse to have other watches

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    It's a lovely watch the Speedy, but not the best. Certainly one of the greats, but a lot better can be had for much less these days. And the lack of a date window still erks me on a good all-rounder and that's what made me move mine on. I thought I could do without one, but I refer to the date a lot more than I expected.

I prefer my Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph as a quality, every day piece that does most of what one would need - and it's just as 'spacey' as the Speedmaster.

For all the chronos and divers I have, this here is an itch to be scratched one day. Stunning piece FL. Enjoy it!

Jim

Master
    Thanks Jim.

It's my favourite piece out of everything I've ever owned. Will probably be buried with it I reckon (or they can fire me out into space like Scotty and I'll still be able to use it).

For me the 'best watch' ever needs to be one that can be worn anywhere for any purpose which is what lets the Speedy down as it isn't really suited for swimming.