closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zenith El Primero 1969 Original - Face variation

Craftsman

Zenith El Primero 1969 Original - Face variation

Simple question, but wondered if anyone can help:

below two photos of the Zenith El Primero 1969 - 38mm and I note a difference in the text on each face as well as the sub dial positioning. Is this simply to do with when one watch was made and another? When did the "1969" reissue start?

Last edited by Rich; 16th August 2019 at 15:54.

Master
    Can’t help with your question, but I’m currently waiting for delivery of this one..

All I know is that the current model doesn’t have the extra text below el Primero.

If you look on Chrono24, there is a mixture of both, so it must be a fairly recent change... I actually prefer it as it’s a fairly small dial, and the extra text is just more clutter.

The main change is the correction of the error Zenith made by going from the original dial layout, to one in which part of the running minute sub-counter was obscured. The original dial layout has the overlap occur on a small part of the running hour counter, which could be read just as well with the overlap as without.

I seem to remember reading something about this change being made on the insistence of Jean-Claude Biver, after being pestered by collectors/enthusiasts about it. I don't have a source for that, though, so it could be nonsense.

It's difficult to fathom how the mistake was made in the first place, but it's good that it has been fixed.

Craftsman
    So the question then is; is the «*mistake*» going to have been a short run and in 100 yrs will be the one to have? I have to say that I prefer the less cluttered dial so will no nouns make the wrong decision. On somewhat of a tangent does anyone have any ideas on what a bracelet for these might costs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    On somewhat of a tangent does anyone have any ideas on what a bracelet for these might costs?
    No idea what a bracelet would cost... I ordered mine on a bracelet, and got a cracking deal on a genuine Zenith deployant clasp and strap as part of the deal..

The only annoying thing is the 5 week lead time on the grey dial. Should be in by the end of this month or first week in Sept..

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    The main change is the correction of the error Zenith made by going from the original dial layout, to one in which part of the running minute sub-counter was obscured. The original dial layout has the overlap occur on a small part of the running hour counter, which could be read just as well with the overlap as without.

I seem to remember reading something about this change being made on the insistence of Jean-Claude Biver, after being pestered by collectors/enthusiasts about it. I don't have a source for that, though, so it could be nonsense.

It's difficult to fathom how the mistake was made in the first place, but it's good that it has been fixed.
    Absolutely correct. This was definitely a mistake from Zenith. Simply degrading the El Primero from a timing instrument to a fashion object. Heuer made a similar mistake with the Autavia chrono remake having the the markers on the minute totalizator at 2,5 min! Ridiculous. I’m guessing they work with a bunch of blind designers.
    The correction was a very welcomed modification on both watches.

Lovely watch. I got the 42mm about 2 months ago and really like it. I’m still tempted by the white dial version but I’m enjoying the grey dial at the moment.

Here’s a few quick pictures taken today

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Absolutely correct. This was definitely a mistake from Zenith. Simply degrading the El Primero from a timing instrument to a fashion object. Heuer made a similar mistake with the Autavia chrono remake having the the markers on the minute totalizator at 2,5 min! Ridiculous. I’m guessing they work with a bunch of blind designers.
    The correction was a very welcomed modification on both watches.

In practice, it's not hard to infer the missing numbers on the minute totaliser.