closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High end Bluetooth Speaker bargain heads up

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Is it? The seller can't spell wireless, has pretty poor feedback. I always think if something appears too cheap, it's for a reason. I appreciate Amazon will support you with their returns/refund policy, but I'd be surprised if this was the bargain it appears to be. (Cynical old man mode off).
    I've not tried it yet but mine arrived safely this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Thanks but I will stick with wires, still don't like anything that is wireless if I can help it.
    It has an aux input too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Is it? The seller can't spell wireless, has pretty poor feedback. I always think if something appears too cheap, it's for a reason. I appreciate Amazon will support you with their returns/refund policy, but I'd be surprised if this was the bargain it appears to be. (Cynical old man mode off).
    I meant price wise obviously - I know nought of the seller. Happy with mine anyway.

B

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Heads up that the smaller VL350 is currently available for only £69.99 on Amazon!

I've ordered one for the kitchen

Samsung AKG VL350 Wireles Smart Speaker - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PQTSX..._G3zNDbXQSEGSK
    No idea how they sound, but it looks horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    No idea how they sound, but it looks horrible.
    Everyone's in a happy mood today aren't they! :)

I got the white one and I think it looks pretty neat. It's smaller than I expected.

Craftsman
    Everyone's in a happy mood today aren't they! :)

I got the white one and I think it looks pretty neat. It's smaller than I expected.
    Always! ;)

I'm very happy with the vl351, great sound quality for £70!

Has anybody worked out how to play music over Wifi from your Samsung Phone to any of these speakers?

I've followed the instructions to discover the speakers on the Smart Things app and they are all showing on the app but whatever I do I can't get music to play on any of the speakers by wifi. I've selected Wifi connection on the speakers as well but don't get any confirmation from the speakers that they are connected for music (the music only plays through my phone speaker).
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 12th October 2019 at 09:41.

Master
    Can you not just connect them via Bluetooth?

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Can you not just connect them via Bluetooth?
    I can but wifi is supposed to be better for sound quality, plus I wanted to have multi room functionality.

Master
    So any feedback having used them for a bit? (vl550)

I've placed a cheeky bid for one as the cheap as chips creative job I have is pretty darn naff, but at this kind of price point I'm not after something that'll drop connection and so on!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    So any feedback having used them for a bit? (vl550)

I've placed a cheeky bid for one as the cheap as chips creative job I have is pretty darn naff, but at this kind of price point I'm not after something that'll drop connection and so on!
    I've found it very good indeed for casual audio, and great for TV but only when using the optical audio connection (Bluetooth and WiFi result in too much lag, though this is a known issue for lots of similar tech when you have the keen reference point of lip synch).

I'd buy again at the sub 200 I paid. It's honestly a good looking device too, which is an added bonus on top of the sound quality (again, for the heavily discounted price).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I've found it very good indeed for casual audio, and great for TV but only when using the optical audio connection (Bluetooth and WiFi result in too much lag, though this is a known issue for lots of similar tech when you have the keen reference point of lip synch).

I'd buy again at the sub 200 I paid. It's honestly a good looking device too, which is an added bonus on top of the sound quality (again, for the heavily discounted price).
    Thanks for that.

Hello

I picked up the AKG VL550.

It's really good for the TV using Aux and superb for music on Bluetooth.

For £150 I don't think you can go wrong!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    I picked up the AKG VL550.

It's really good for the TV using Aux and superb for music on Bluetooth.

For £150 I don't think you can go wrong!
    I just won an ebay auction for the same for £145 posted. Interested to see what it's like. Always fancied a bose soundlink, but this seems like a much better valued proposition given I don't need portability of battery. My HTPC is already hooked upto an AV receiver, but this should work great in my study.

Master
    OK, so having set it up, I can see why they're selling for £150 rather than £600. Sound quality is great for a Bluetooth speaker. Bluetooth works well, but the little hockey puck can take a few seconds just to register play/pause or next track, amd the volume up/down seems way under sensitive. Have to spin it loads to meaningfully affect the volume. Unless I'm missing something, the WiFi capability is a cop out. Unlike a sonos etc, the only thing you can do with WiFi using the smartthings app is play Internet radio or music from some subscription account I don't have. Surely there must be a way of playing the local content on your phone via WiFi?

Master
    I play the stuff on my phone then bluetooth it to the speaker I also use the phone to control the volume (siri).

I don't use the Wifi or the puck.

It works for me anyhow.

B

OK, so having set it up, I can see why they're selling for £150 rather than £600. Sound quality is great for a Bluetooth speaker. Bluetooth works well, but the little hockey puck can take a few seconds just to register play/pause or next track, amd the volume up/down seems way under sensitive. Have to spin it loads to meaningfully affect the volume. Unless I'm missing something, the WiFi capability is a cop out. Unlike a sonos etc, the only thing you can do with WiFi using the smartthings app is play Internet radio or music from some subscription account I don't have. Surely there must be a way of playing the local content on your phone via WiFi?
    I've not worked out how to play sound through wifi yet either. From the reviews I've read I don't believe playing sound over wifi is just limited to the services you mention but I can't find any information on how to get it to work for music stored on my phone.

The puck is just an extra. There is a bit of a delay but otherwise i don't have any issues with it. If you're not getting on with it can still use your phone to do the same or more (which is the only option on most bluetooth / wifi speakers).

Ultimately this speaker is all about the sound. Even using bluetooth, music is a joy to listen to and I doubt there's anything close to it for £150-£200.

Hello

I don't use the Smart Things App or Wifi.

No issues with aux link to the TV and Bluetooth for laptop / ipad / iPhone for films / music etc.

The sound quality sounds great to me. Not that that I'm acoustically knowledgeable of anything.

Best,

Ben

Master
    I've not worked out how to play sound through wifi yet either. From the reviews I've read I don't believe playing sound over wifi is just limited to the services you mention but I can't find any information on how to get it to work for music stored on my phone.

The puck is just an extra. There is a bit of a delay but otherwise i don't have any issues with it. If you're not getting on with it can still use your phone to do the same or more (which is the only option on most bluetooth / wifi speakers).

Ultimately this speaker is all about the sound. Even using bluetooth, music is a joy to listen to and I doubt there's anything close to it for £150-£200.

It would be illogical if I couldn't play local content over WiFi, but they've certainly hidden it well. I like to be able to have the speaker playing via WiFi so I can walk around the house with my phone in my pocket without it then losing the connection, rather than have to ekave the phone near the speaker.

You are correct though, and the sound is indeed fantastic and I've tried speakers costing significantly more than I paid. Can't help but feel that if they'd omitted the Puck and idea of smart features, that it would be selling at higher prices. Can't help but feel that the pick makes it feel like a smart speaker with bugs rather than just being considered a solid Bluetooth speaker.

Master
    A month or two down the line and I am so pleased that I've just bought another.

I have just seen one here for £140 https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-...85806-pdt.html

A month or two down the line and I am so pleased that I've just bought another.

I have just seen one here for £140 https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-...85806-pdt.html
    Good to hear of another happy owner. Still loving listening to my 2!

£140 is an amazing price!

It's crazy that so many of us search for great deals on black friday, etc, whilst these speakers have been at absolute bargain prices for months now and are going lower and lower, but seem to be completely under the radar.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 30th December 2019 at 12:06.

Apprentice
    Apologies for necroing this thread, but I've just bought myself one of these Samsung speakers (a VL350) and am also trying to work out how to play things over the wifi. Did anyone work out how to play stuff other than Deezer and TuneIn (neither of which I use) from the SmartThings app?

The remote puck for my Samsung AKG VL550 no longer connects to the speaker - it suggests it's paired, but doesn't actually do any volume control or muting. It flashes white like it's waiting to pair, whilst the speaker states it is paired. Paired it four times now, with the same result.

Anyone else had this issue with any resolution?

The remote puck for my Samsung AKG VL550 no longer connects to the speaker - it suggests it's paired, but doesn't actually do any volume control or muting. It flashes white like it's waiting to pair, whilst the speaker states it is paired. Paired it four times now, with the same result.

Anyone else had this issue with any resolution?
    Have you tried recharging it?

Have you tried recharging it?
    Thank you for the suggestion - I have now done so, but no change unfortunately.

Thank you for the suggestion - I have now done so, but no change unfortunately.
    Have you tried the reset button in the Puck and / or the troubleshooting guide in the manual?

Have you tried the reset button in the Puck and / or the troubleshooting guide in the manual?
    I had tried this, but gave up. I then retried after considering sending it in to Samsung, and it took four tries at resetting, and for the first three the speaker said 'Connected' but the remote did zilch. Finally on the forth one it actually worked. Cheers!

I finally found an app (Bubbleupnp) that lets you connect to these speakers by WIFI and play locally stored content from your mobile device.

You have to control volume via the puck rather than your phone but otherwise it appears to work well. I don't think it supports multi room though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.bubbleupnp
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 9th October 2020 at 10:55.

As a heads up Cex have refurbished Samsung Vl550 speakers available for £125 with a 24 month warranty which is an absolute bargain for the level of sound quality you're getting, especially as the excess new stocks seem to have dried up now.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/...RoCfZMQAvD_BwE