closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mod or Wreck Black IP and PVD watches?

Mod or Wreck Black IP and PVD watches?

Posted in here as I have always struggled to bond with black divers in particular, but also sports chrono. I think because the contrast between finishes and the general lines of the watch tend to be lost... to my eye?

Anybody have similar experience and have you done any mods... or forced patina / wear to change the appearance or finish?

Or any good examples of natural patina on a black watch?

I like my aged black chrono.

Black watches with genuine wear look good. Faked patina is just plain awful.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Faked patina is just plain awful.
    This is Mods and "Wreckers" you must have taken a wrong turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I like my aged black chrono.

That looks in very good order indeed and nicely showing its age.

I have a couple of PVD watches.

My BFK (SKA427P1) certainly has patina, though none of it was "forced", and it remains one of my favourite beaters.

So far as modding, all I've done is switch the regular Hardlex crystal for a domed sapphire. I do have a set of different hands for this movement, but haven't got round to changing them yet.

My other is a black Scurfa that was knowingly DOA when I purchased it. Having replaced the movement I now wish I had added a domed sapphire to replace the original flat one.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I have a couple of PVD watches.

My BFK (SKA427P1) certainly has patina, though none of it was "forced", and it remains one of my favourite beaters.

So far as modding, all I've done is switch the regular Hardlex crystal for a domed sapphire. I do have a set of different hands for this movement, but haven't got round to changing them yet.

My other is a black Scurfa that was knowingly DOA when I purchased it. Having replaced the movement I now wish I had added a domed sapphire to replace the original flat one.

That BFK looks great... worn in, not out

Send the watch to me and I’ll get my wife to wear it for a few weeks. That should add loads of patina as she always manages to wreck her watches.

Grand Master
    Black watches just don’t do it for me, the black plastic Casios are OK in the same way that a Wellington boot’s the right footwear in snow, they’re functional and do a job, but plack metal divers?.........no way!

I class black alloy wheels in the same category, don’t lije ‘em, they look wrong.

Each to their own, but I’ll never be convinced.

Seems they can be polarising opinion... there have been some lovely looking black models (watches) over the years... but found them less versatile I suppose

Anyhow this is mine... FWIW I'm enjoying it on a worn in Phoenix NATO.

The latest addition - an Orient 48743 with a Yobokies dial and hands.

Bought as a non-runner, it turned out that a retaining screw for the automatic bridge had come loose and was hindering the balance. This had then caused the click spring to become disengaged, but a few minutes over the weekend got it all back into shape.

I have ordered a sapphire crystal for it, but in the meantime will fit a domed acrylic.

[QUOTE=willie_gunn;5184851]The latest addition - an Orient 48743 with a Yobokies dial and hands.

That is very nice. There is good clarity to it. Simple but effective. I like the hands. Is there lume on the dial? If so can you please post a lume shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    That is very nice. There is good clarity to it. Simple but effective. I like the hands. Is there lume on the dial? If so can you please post a lume shot!
    Yes, the dial has good lume.

It lasts long enough to still be readable first thing in the morning (i.e. 4am)

Excellent. Thank you.