closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SKX or Orient Mako/Ray??

Seiko SKX or Orient Mako/Ray??

Over the last couple of years I’ve had about 4 SKX’s, dunno what it is but I seem to get bored of them very quickly and flip them. I kind of regretted flipping my most recent one, a J version that had the best alignment and best timekeeping I’d had on an SKX, but not enough to make me want to go back in for another.

Last week went to remote Wales for a lot of adventuring and water sporting with the kids. For a little holiday beater I managed to pick up a Mako II off SC for under £100, put a curved end rubber strap on it and have to say I’ve been far more enamoured with it than the SKX;

I get that the SKX is both ISO certified and something of an icon. But I feel the Mako II is much better value for money. A new SKX will cost you north of £250 these days; a new Mako II or Ray can be bought on Amazon for about £120. I think the finish is much nicer; you get applied markers, an applied logo, a signed crown and a nicely framed day/date window.

Crystal wise I’m not sure Hardlex offers anything better than the mineral found on the Orient. In lume the SKX wins hands down, no question about that. Both offer in house movements, but the Orients gives you hacking and hand winding. The stock bracelets that come with either are nothing to write home about, hence me changing the Mako to the curved rubber. The bezel markers on the Mako are a bit weedy looking, that would be my main change if I was updating it. The proportions are good though - 41mm case, 47mm lug length, 22mm lug width. Lugs are nicely curved too.

I’m really enjoying this watch so far and as a value proposition I think it’s very hard to beat. I’m not saying it’s miles better than the SKX, I’m saying I don’t think there’s really anything in it at all and when you think a new one of these is at least half the price of a new SKX, it makes you question what else you’re getting for your money with Seiko.

Incidentally has anyone seen the new SKX influenced Seiko 5’s? Are we expecting these to replace the SKX? To me they are aesthetically pleasing but essentially a ‘dive style’ watch, not a proper diving tool watch like the SKX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidj54; 15th August 2019 at 17:36.

Master

Thumbs up for Orient

I agree about the Orient. I’ve had the odd Orient before and been delighted with the quality.

Also, those are great photos.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

Incidentally has anyone seen the new SKX influenced Seiko 5’s? Are we expecting these to replace the SKX? To me they are aesthetically pleasing but essentially a ‘dive style’ watch, not a proper diving tool watch like the SKX.

Yes Ive seen the skx inspired sport 5s.

I think they look great and if priced competitively will sell well.

100m wr and a handwind hacking skx esque look.

My opinion is that the srp turtle has succeeded the skx and that some of the skx production processes have been modded to produce the sport 5 line.

The sharkey skx ive pictured is a good way to stay with a diver variant of the skx if a screwdown crown is a deal breaker.

Other thing is these sport 5 models give loads of mod options so its a win win.

Apprentice
    What is the difference between the Orient Mako movement and the Seiko for AR-15?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Incidentally has anyone seen the new SKX influenced Seiko 5’s? Are we expecting these to replace the SKX?
    No. They are not a replacement. The turtle is a replacement for the skx.
    The new seiko 5's are heavily styled on the skx but they are not dive watches and not aimed at people who want dive watches.
    The marketing campaign looks to be aiming at teens & students who want a watch that looks classic but has some nice colors and textures to go with different clothes/shoes. Its not aimed at divers or people who want ISO certification.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Yes Ive seen the skx inspired sport 5s.

I think they look great and if priced competitively will sell well.

100m wr and a handwind hacking skx esque look.
    Retail starting at 280 euros, which is a bit steep IMO for what they are. They are no doubt well put together, and stylish (if what they are floats your boat of course), but they cost more than an SKX!
    That said, they seem to slot nicely into seikos new pricing strategy, below prospex. They are probably worth the asking, but one of the key things that defines seiko (at least for me) was that you got more than what you paid for, the item was of a quality that belied its price. Now we are getting products whos quality reflects the price. Thats fair i guess, but it means less value for consumers and that seiko has lost something that was part of its make up.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 15th August 2019 at 20:52.

Where is the curved-end rubber strap from please?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Retail starting at 280 euros
    Who pays mrsp on Seiko.

Im thinking when the initial rush dies off and the prices even out they could.be a great buy.

There are a couple I'd certainly consider buying.

Orient you say. I love mine.

Sent through the ether by magic

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Echo that...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Echo that...
    It was just from eBay, took a chance on one and it fit nicely

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382652349344

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post

👍

It was just from eBay, took a chance on one and it fit nicely

Thanks

Tempting for £10....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

I have the Gen 1 Orient Mako in blue.

Cracking little watch, and my go-to for all holidays. A more refined option than the SKX, with the sunburst dial & applied fixtures.

No hacking or hand-winding, but that doesn't bother me.

The hollow end-links on the Gen 1 are a bit of a pain, but I've managed to sort the infamously stiff bezel. Strangely, I rather like the odd date-pusher button.

I've given it some fairly brutal treatment, but it's kept on running well.

Incredible value for the £105.91 (inc. delivery) I paid for it new, back in 2014.

Craftsman
    Over the last couple of years I’ve had about 4 SKX’s, dunno what it is but I seem to get bored of them very quickly and flip them. I kind of regretted flipping my most recent one, a J version that had the best alignment and best timekeeping I’d had on an SKX, but not enough to make me want to go back in for another.

Last week went to remote Wales for a lot of adventuring and water sporting with the kids. For a little holiday beater I managed to pick up a Mako II off SC for under £100, put a curved end rubber strap on it and have to say I’ve been far more enamoured with it than the SKX;

I get that the SKX is both ISO certified and something of an icon. But I feel the Mako II is much better value for money. A new SKX will cost you north of £250 these days; a new Mako II or Ray can be bought on Amazon for about £120. I think the finish is much nicer; you get applied markers, an applied logo, a signed crown and a nicely framed day/date window.

Crystal wise I’m not sure Hardlex offers anything better than the mineral found on the Orient. In lume the SKX wins hands down, no question about that. Both offer in house movements, but the Orients gives you hacking and hand winding. The stock bracelets that come with either are nothing to write home about, hence me changing the Mako to the curved rubber. The bezel markers on the Mako are a bit weedy looking, that would be my main change if I was updating it. The proportions are good though - 41mm case, 47mm lug length, 22mm lug width. Lugs are nicely curved too.

I’m really enjoying this watch so far and as a value proposition I think it’s very hard to beat. I’m not saying it’s miles better than the SKX, I’m saying I don’t think there’s really anything in it at all and when you think a new one of these is at least half the price of a new SKX, it makes you question what else you’re getting for your money with Seiko.

For the price that looks really good.

I've never been able to make my mind up about the SKX.