closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strap for IWC Mark XV

Craftsman

Strap for IWC Mark XV

Having just picked up a Mark XV from Jason, I need a leather strap.

Think this is what the original would have been like.

Been having a good look around and think I've settled on a black Kangaroo leather from Finn straps in Finland. Not cheap but looks great quality plus there's a choice of strap lengths.

It's 19mm so options are a bit more restrictive but there are still plenty around.

The Watch Boys IWC style straps look good to but I think that a stark black strap with no contrast stitching is what is called for.

What do you recon?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plain looks good as does a white stitch,I don’t like rivets.
    A Di model rally with subdued stitching also looks good.

where do forensic anthropologists work

Craftsman
    Agreed about the rivets - my 3706 IWC Flieger can take them though!

Finn straps are also on Etsy - they're cheaper there than on the Finn website.

Anybody got any experience of Finn straps?

Lord only knows where it is, but I have an almost new original strap somewhere with an original deployant too. That combination just doesn’t work on small wrists (mine are 6.75) so I ditched it almost straight away and put mine on the buffalo strap from the contemporary UTC. It’s something to be aware of if you have small wrists.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Lord only knows where it is, but I have an almost new original strap somewhere with an original deployant too. That combination just doesn’t work on small wrists (mine are 6.75) so I ditched it almost straight away and put mine on the buffalo strap from the contemporary UTC. It’s something to be aware of if you have small wrists.
    Just out of curiosity, why doesn't the original strap work on small wrists?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by philjopa View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why doesn't the original strap work on small wrists?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app
    However you set it up it sits too far round the wrist, so the shallow curve of the deployant doesn’t follow the sharper curve at the edge of the wrist. If that makes sense ? Anyway it’s very uncomfortable and not an easy fix. If you’d consider making it more casual then I’d recommend trying it on brown rather than black. Maybe pigskin or buffalo. I loved how mine looked on the UTC strap, the only problem being it was 1mm too wide for the lugs but it fitted OK.

I’ll have a dig around and see if I can find a picture at the weekend.

Master
    Agree about the deployant, I think my wrist was about 7.5" at the time and the deployant protruded awkwardly on the left side of my wrist. I bought a standard buckle from IWC and that worked a lot better.

Master
    This is what the original strap would have looked like (on a white dial XV in this case, but the strap was the same of course)

Master
    Blog Entries
    That oozes elegance.
    Last edited by bwest76; 16th August 2019 at 10:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have taken a 20mm deployant of a Timefactors strap.
    it’s a bit smaller if anyone wants to try it they are welcome as I don’t need it.

Here’s my old XV on it’s well worn and rather ratty buffalo strap (from the UTC). I always thought it looked great but it certainly dresses it down.

And here the original strap that I still have. If you think of getting one you really need to figure out whether the deployant would work first. That always held me back from selling it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Here’s my old XV on it’s well worn and rather ratty buffalo strap (from the UTC). I always thought it looked great but it certainly dresses it down.

And here the original strap that I still have. If you think of getting one you really need to figure out whether the deployant would work first. That always held me back from selling it.

Love the look of that old, battered UTC strap on the XV!

Must admit to not being a fan of deployment straps anyway as I find them uncomfortable and as you say its always difficult to get the clasp in the middle of your wrist as posed to one side.

I've ordered the 19mm Kangaroo strap from Finn in a 19x16 size so we'll see how it suits when it arrives. I'll quite possible look to get a brown strap later.

Must admit to not being a fan of deployment straps anyway as I find them uncomfortable and as you say its always difficult to get the clasp in the middle of your wrist as posed to one side.

I've ordered the 19mm Kangaroo strap from Finn in a 19x16 size so we'll see how it suits when it arrives. I'll quite possible look to get a brown strap later.
    It’s the right decision. And if you’re happy doing strap swaps yourself then definitely pick up a brown one too. Despite the ridiculous cost (I think the best part of £250) the UTC strap was amazing. That lasted around 8 years as a daily wearer and it’s still solid as a rock. Please post pics of yours on the Finn strap when it turns up !

I like those deployants, one of the nicer ones around. Sometimes with the single fold clasps you cant use a strap designed for a buckle, you need to get the proportions right so the clasp sites right under your wrist so the short part is longer and the long part shorter than a more general purpose strap

Charlie

Craftsman

IWC Mark XV on "FinWatchStraps. Handmade in Finland"

Just a quick update re this.

The IWC is now on the Fin strap I ordered from Finland. Its a 19 x 16 Kangaroo leather with black stitching.

The kangaroo leather is incredibly soft and pliable; it's very comfortable to wear and smells great too!

The finishing, stitching and detail is all very good, as is the overall quality and grain of the kangaroo leather.

Apparently kangaroo leather is very hard wearing so hopefully the strap will age well.

Just a single floating keeper as opposed to one fixed and one floating keeper which I think suits the strap and the watch that its mounted on.

I've changed the standard buckle it came with (which is again very good quality) for a generic IWC style buckle which I picked up from Etsy.

The sizing of the strap is ideal for me but then it should be as all Fin watch straps are hand made to to order with loads of options for stitching, sizing, etc.

Ordering was easy enough and communications were all good. Delivery from Finland was pretty quick. I'd consider using Fin again is ever I need a custom made strap,

I was a little apprehensive about ordering an expensive custom made strap as I've always just bought inexpensive Hirsch or similar type straps but thus far I'm very pleased with this one as I think it suits the IWC perfectly.

Some pics:

TY.
    Last edited by philjopa; 18th October 2019 at 13:30.